Communication systems for audio system K 1600 GT / GTL - Page 2 - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 140 Old Feb 28th, 2011, 9:06 pm

Re: Communication systems for audio system K 1600 GT / GTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by fremme
A CB or FRS is no different than a cellphone.

I'm working on a Bluetooth dongle where you could connect a CB or FRS - and then pairing the dongle to the Bluetooth headsets like a cellphone.

I will write about my project on my new intercom site ...

STeinar

Nice. Keep us posted!

Dave...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 140 Old Mar 1st, 2011, 7:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffy
BMW Touring USA has posted this on the K1600 forum:

http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/2239-post41.html

Basically, the Schuberth helmet neckroll communicator will be BMW's own, and not Schuberth's.

Now what they need is to make a Cardo G4 type of unit available so you don't have to buy a new helmet...

But for those who want a wired solution, we'll have to see what J&M comes up with.
We should all chill out on this. There's a lot of bad information out there. The new communicator has features available only on their equipment, but is is NOT a proprietary system. It uses standard bluetooth protocols, and will work fine with any compliant phone or headset. This guy, Todd, who says he is from BMW, is incorrect about their source. All Schuberth and BMW bluetooth headset systems are made by Scala, and any Scala system will work fine with the bike. I have this direct from Scala support and a BMW engineer at the NY show.

I have the Schuberth helmet with their communicator, but am switching to Scala (glued to the side of the Schuberth helmet instead) because I need to be able to switch out main units with the battery because I ride longer than the 9-hour charge limit (with music/Sirius or XM running). That's the biggest flaw that I see with all the bluetooth systems - a problem if you do multi-day or 24-hour Iron Butt-style rallies. This is because none of the bluetooth systems can be charged while being used (they all go into suspend mode whil plugged in), so there is no way to charge on the fly. In the Iron Butt rally this June I will take three Scala 4 headset main units, and swap while charging the backups.

To anyone worried about or wedded to FRS - it is dinosaur technology - the BMW/Scala/Schuberth systems makes it obsolete - it has at least a quarter mile 3-bike communication capability built-in. I use it all the time with my wife, who is sometimes 1/2 mile back on her 650GS twin.

The full integration and STANDARDIZED use of the bluetooth 2 protocol is ANYTHING BUT proprietary - it is an open standard, just enhanced by BMW if you choose to use their version of it. I, for one, will appreciate the full integration with the handlbar wheel, onboard sound system. ipod, etc.
post #53 of 140 Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 12:42 am Thread Starter

Well, a lot of vise words written !

"Sorry for my English"

But, I personal think that we all are so used to implement what we have chosen to implement.

I mean - We have all different needs - and preferences.

Some would like to include "everything" and some only the basics, and we all starts to wonder when someone "seems" to try to force special versions of helmets or devises on us.

Then the personal choice starts to be limited.

I personal don't like this "big" thing on the outside of the helmet, and the "FRS - it is a dinosaur technology" is for me a strange saying.

1/2 mile is for my use total useless - two buses and a building in between- and you communication is gone.

I'm using 3W (not 0.5W) FRS with external antenna - and still should like to have longer distance capability.

Why - You need that when you travel with 10-20 bikes in a group - and I and the last bike has radio communication to organize the whole thing.

What I mean is - that we are all different - and have different needs - and therefor like to have all the possibilities to choose what we personal think fit my needs best.

So also with this Bluetooth thing. I also see this battery capacity as a problem - but in steed of changing the whole unit - I'm able to change into 1000mAh batteries, and only change the battery after 10-15 hour use. (By using AKE system)

The Bluetooth technology is in start bed for motorbike use, and it will be better in short time. Give it a year or two - and we will all laugh about it!

Remember the first cellphones - compared to one you have today ?

But agree in that if you would like to secure that you set up is working as best it possible can - stick with whatever BMW is telling you to use.

They have tested that the base-unit on the bike will work as planned with the headsets.

I donít find the iPhone to be a good telephone - maybe the worst telephone I ever had - but the software included or found on App store IS working - and of that reason - I'm willing to sacrifice some of the call quality and range.

So also with Bluetooth technology - and specially now in the beginning. Not all devices are working together, and some devises is working better than others - as long as you stick to units build to work together.

All producers of Bluetooth modules are still working to get more and more out of the rather limited frequency band.

Only for a few months ago it was not possible to transfer sound in stereo to the helmet and in the same time transfer voice back on the same channel.

This is now possible - due to faster codecs etc.

Bluetooth was not intended for the more complex use that a full intercom on a motorbike requires, but it will get there - and I personal think - it will get there in relative short time.

I have been working for Salora/Mobira/Nokia for more than 13 years - and believe me - none of us could imagination how the cellphone could get this small and have all the functionality it has today - only a few years back.

Regards
STeinar

post #54 of 140 Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 9:06 am

Talking Re: Communication systems for audio system K 1600 GT / GTL

Kind of like the weather in Central New York. If you don't like what you see, wait a little while. It will change, and there is a very good chance it will get better!

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL
post #55 of 140 Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 10:01 am

Quote:
Well, a lot of vise words written !

But, I personal think that we all are so used to implement what we have chosen to implement.

I mean - We have all different needs - and preferences.

Regards
STeinar
I am not going to quote your entire post but I could not have said it any better. I agree with you 110%. In the end we all have different needs and while I find CB technology to be "old and antiquated", I have friends that swear by them and won't use anyting else. Too each their own.

I think what I was trying to get across, was that as long as the system is able to be expanded upon, I think we would all be happy.

Dave...
post #56 of 140 Old Mar 3rd, 2011, 9:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzins
...I think what I was trying to get across, was that as long as the system is able to be expanded upon, I think we would all be happy.

Dave...
But, only if you consider "expanded" to mean other ways of using Bluetooth as your communications 'choice'. The bike simply has no design to allow any type of wired connection, forcing you to use BT. And, if you want full built-in functionality of all features, you are further restricted to the single helmet (one size does NOT fit all) solution. It used to be that manufacturers were slow to accept wireless BT as an option and many (me included) clamored for it. And when it came, it was delivered as an add-on so you had true choice. BMW went the other way and made it the only choice.

There are many reasons why a lot of us don't like BT for its audio and hardware limitations and the fact that you have to carry extra gear and battery life, etc. I have a Scala G4 that I use when riding on trips with a friend and, while it works, I routinely prefer the wired setup for quality and reliability and switch to that as soon as bike-to-bike is not needed. BMW has removed that choice and, IMO, they didn't have to when they could have just provided a small plug wired to the audio out. It's really that simple.

post #57 of 140 Old Mar 3rd, 2011, 9:44 am Thread Starter

Flint 350!

Yes - but DO we know that there is no wired audio out ?
Non of us have seen what the "audio-box" do have of connections - yet ?

I have so far not been able to find any documentation on the audio system for the 1600, but if it is close to the RT version - well then it might have a connector for audio out.

But for sure - BMW will not make an intercom - that is not Bluetooth - so if needed - you have to integrate a non BMW version.

Like I'm going to do - exactly the same way I did for the K1200LT !
No big deal.

regards
STeinar
post #58 of 140 Old Mar 3rd, 2011, 1:53 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Many folks here bemoaned the fact that the original LT radio wasn't expandable, until someone found the audio in pins and started making cables for it. And lots of folks had trouble with BMW's initial intercom offerings, and either had them upgraded several times or just went to an aftermarket solution.

Give it time, folks. The community and various aftermarket companies will work out reasonable solutions to all these little niggles. But first we gotta get our hands on an actual bike . . .

Ken
SoCal
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting . . .
'12 Mineral Silver Metallic K16GTLD, 59K miles and gone.
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 32,690 miles & now rebuilt!
'07 Dark Graphite Metallic K12GT, 138,220 miles & now rebuilt!
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from . . .
post #59 of 140 Old Mar 4th, 2011, 8:41 am

Quote:
Flint 350!

Yes - but DO we know that there is no wired audio out ?
Non of us have seen what the "audio-box" do have of connections - yet ?

STeinar
Yes that is already known. It has been posted elsewhere on this forum and supposedly confirmed by BMW that there is no option (outside a possible aftermarket solution) for wired audio. It is designed that way - requiring aftermarket intervention. That is the bottom line of what I object to as poor design/planning. Seems like I've read an awful lot of "the aftermarket will solve this problem" posts - too many for my taste on basic, predictable needs for a $25k luxury touring motorcycle that I would like to love. I've made my point on this and won't continue to pummel the room-temperature horse further. Sorry for the interruption to those who are content with this sort of thing.

post #60 of 140 Old Apr 21st, 2011, 2:01 pm

I might be confused (not the first time) but in talking to the parts person at my local BMW dealer, he said that they will be able to get and install the BMW communicator module in the new Schuberth helmet so that it will have all of the features.

I was under the impression that only BMW's system 6 helmet would be able to access all communication features. I did not read this entire thread and if that is pointed out elsewhere, please direct me....

Hope fully I'm asking the right question. I'd like to get the new Schuberth helmet and have it access all bluetooth communication feature and the GPS.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #61 of 140 Old Apr 21st, 2011, 4:31 pm
Old Slow Guy on a Fast Bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
I might be confused (not the first time) but in talking to the parts person at my local BMW dealer, he said that they will be able to get and install the BMW communicator module in the new Schuberth helmet so that it will have all of the features.

I was under the impression that only BMW's system 6 helmet would be able to access all communication features. I did not read this entire thread and if that is pointed out elsewhere, please direct me....

Hope fully I'm asking the right question. I'd like to get the new Schuberth helmet and have it access all bluetooth communication feature and the GPS.
I thought I have read some where that the BMW Bluetooth was available for the Schuberth C3 also. I Talk to my dealer the other day & they had no clue yet what helmet it will work with.

Stevie Shreeve
2012 K1600GTL
2015 KLR650
post #62 of 140 Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 6:41 am

You would think that BMW would make sure that ALL features were available through whatever helmet is used !

My dealer assured me that the correct module is available and will be installed in the Schuberth helmet that they will be selling next week. Just hope that I can get a good fit.

Now if I can just convince them to throw in the helmet and GPS with the bike.......

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #63 of 140 Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 8:11 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
You would think that BMW would make sure that ALL features were available through whatever helmet is used !
Not necessarily. Some of these features require custom programming in the Bluetooth headset. So BMW partners with one manufacturer and they sort out the details together. That's why there are "special" Garmin GPS units that work with the BMW controls, and you can't just drop in any old GPS and get all the custom features.

Quote:
Now if I can just convince them to throw in the helmet and GPS with the bike.......
Yeah, good luck with that one.

Ken
SoCal

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from . . .
post #64 of 140 Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 10:04 am

Quote:
Actooly, I would think the opposite. Create a proprietary device and/or interface, and you have another profit center, as you create a captive audience.

This can be good or bad.

The Navigator IV (and its predecessors) have all had BMW/Garmin proprietary firmware. Query whether BMW would have made the investment required to get into the bike-specific GPS market in the first place several years ago (laying the foundation for the development of the current new GPS/bike integration to exchange information to support some pretty cool new features) if they did not have some protection against folks blowing off the Navigator and buying the considerably less costly Garmin equivalents (Zumo 660/665, Streepilot 2720, 2610, etc.)? The same logic can be applied to Bluetooth comms.

Not expressing any opinion here; just noting the market-driven realities.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #65 of 140 Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 9:12 am

If this system has a set of speaker outputs we can hard wire a autocom into it, this means a zumo 665, 550, frs-gmrs, i phone, droid, etc can be used...and will cost a lot less than bmws system......Kieth
post #66 of 140 Old Apr 30th, 2011, 3:11 pm

Just to add another perspective to the discussion. My "needs" are simple since I always drive without passenger. So I paired a standard cheap cellphone bluetooth handsfree (SonyEricsson MW600) to the audio system and to the Navigator IV. Then paired the Navigator and an Android phone (HTC Desire). I can listen to the radio, to the Navigator and receive phone calls. If I do not use the Navigator I just pair the phone to the MW600 instead (this Bluetooth unit can handle 3 connections).

I normally use a Neckmike headset but is waiting for an adapter to be delivered so right now it works with the standard MW600 headset. This is all I need and it works (have a 1600GT).

Should I need anything better later I would probably buy the BMW set and add it to my helmet or use any good 3rd party solution.

I do agree with the standpoint that much are design decisions for a very complicated system which can not accomodate all options. For example I would have liked to see it adopted to Android as well as Ipod/Iphone. Might work already, have not tested, but if not it will probably come since Android is the fastest growing system.
post #67 of 140 Old May 2nd, 2011, 2:03 pm

Quote:
A CB or FRS is no different than a cellphone.

I'm working on a Bluetooth dongle where you could connect a CB or FRS - and then pairing the dongle to the Bluetooth headsets like a cellphone.

I will write about my project on my new intercom site ...

regards
STeinar
I hate to disagree but the CB is a completely different animal in that the band it operates on, simply makes noise if none is present, lots os issues with cb's and lots of issues with radios in general when trying to operate via bluetooth......not just a simple plug and play....
post #68 of 140 Old May 2nd, 2011, 4:22 pm

Someone at the Georgia Mountain Rally this weekend asked specifically about Cardo G4 and the K1600GTL from the sales guy from Pandora's in Chattanooga. He got good news. Nearly all Scala sets except for some early ones will work with the Bluetooth in the GTL. A Garmin 660 or 665 will also work using the the handle bar wheel (I forgot what it's called). And no it does NOT have to be a BMW branded Garmin unit. They also had their demo bike at the rally.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #69 of 140 Old May 2nd, 2011, 5:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueknightga6
Someone at the Georgia Mountain Rally this weekend asked specifically about Cardo G4 and the K1600GTL from the sales guy from Pandora's in Chattanooga. He got good news. Nearly all Scala sets except for some early ones will work with the Bluetooth in the GTL. A Garmin 660 or 665 will also work using the the handle bar wheel (I forgot what it's called). And no it does NOT have to be a BMW branded Garmin unit. They also had their demo bike at the rally.
That would be incredibly fortuitous if it's accurate. I'm going to be checking out my dealer's demo a little later this week, and I'll have my 660 in my truck, so I'll have to try it out and see if it responds to the iController.

'12 K1600GTL - Mineral Silver
post #70 of 140 Old May 2nd, 2011, 6:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueknightga6
I was told the same from my dealer But they did say NOT ALL of the 660 /665 GPS functions will work from the handle bar controller.

Stevie Shreeve
2012 K1600GTL
2015 KLR650
post #71 of 140 Old May 2nd, 2011, 7:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
I was told the same from my dealer But they did say NOT ALL of the 660 /665 GPS functions will work from the handle bar controller.

The more I think about maneuvering the GPS's controls from the handlebar, the more I wonder just how important that feature really is? I rarely touch the screen now when I'm riding and would hesitate to on the K1600. Might just be a feature that isn't used.

Sort of like the software on my computer. I probably only use 5% of it!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #72 of 140 Old May 7th, 2011, 8:05 am

hello everybody. i just ordered the k1600gt, currently riding the 2010rt.
have few questions:
- i have a garmin 665, inserted it in the gt slot and it is working just fine. i plan to keep it as the gt is coming without gps unit.
- also have an intercom unit installed, baehr brand, same as autocom for us, plan to keep that too for intercom features. i just hate bt into the helmets, would prefer to just move the system from the rt to the gt. questions are:
1. how do i route oudio-out of the garmin unit to the input of my baehr intecom? which exactly (if no connector) is the audio-out pin of the garmin 665?
2. how do i connect to the audio-in (microphone) of the garmin unit? i need that to speak on the phone, usinf the microphone in the helmet. i am aware original bmw navigator has not audio-in but the 665 has it and is working just fine. need to know which pin exactly on the back is used for mic input.
3. any other option on k1600 gt to connect wired helmets, keep intercom function and be able answering the phone (iphone connected via bluetooth) with garmin unit.
thank you.

2010 RT
2009 X6
2010 X1
2010 Yamaha X-Max 250 (yes i ride that too)
post #73 of 140 Old May 28th, 2011, 9:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doru
- i have a garmin 665, inserted it in the gt slot and it is working just fine. i plan to keep it as the gt is coming without gps unit.
Hi Doru:

Many of us are wondering if all the functions of the 665 are available? Did you have a chance to see if the handlebar controller actually functions with the 665? That unit would be my preference as it can display XM weather over here.

Doug Stracener
2011 RT polar metallic
Attorney,
MSF #127350,
Instructor, Motorcycle Safety Program Louisiana Department of Public Safety
NAUI Scuba Instructor #36288
Divers Alert Network Board member
post #74 of 140 Old May 28th, 2011, 12:33 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka5ysy
That unit would be my preference as it can display XM weather over here.
What weather package are you using on your 665? How do you like it?

Ken
SoCal

post #75 of 140 Old May 28th, 2011, 12:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka5ysy
Hi Doru:

Many of us are wondering if all the functions of the 665 are available? Did you have a chance to see if the handlebar controller actually functions with the 665? That unit would be my preference as it can display XM weather over here.
The multi-controller will only function with the Nav IV. It will not work with the 660 or 665.

Also, without a connection point for the unique 665 harness that incorporates the XM antenna connection, no XM weather if the 665 is used in the integrated cradle on the K1600 models.

Steve W
Canton, MI USA

2012 K 1600 GT (#901 from 8/6/2011)

post #76 of 140 Old May 28th, 2011, 12:47 pm

Quote:
The more I think about maneuvering the GPS's controls from the handlebar, the more I wonder just how important that feature really is? I rarely touch the screen now when I'm riding and would hesitate to on the K1600. Might just be a feature that isn't used.

Sort of like the software on my computer. I probably only use 5% of it!
The 660/665 cannot be controlled from the multi-controller. You must use the touchscreen on the GPS.

The convenience of using the multi-controller depends on how far a reach the GPS will be for you when riding.

Steve W
Canton, MI USA

post #77 of 140 Old May 30th, 2011, 6:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by realworld51
The 660/665 cannot be controlled from the multi-controller. You must use the touchscreen on the GPS.

The convenience of using the multi-controller depends on how far a reach the GPS will be for you when riding.
Way too far of a reach for me! But, that said, the convenience of just being able to use the multi-controller to zoom and what-not wasn't worth the $700 to upgrade my 660.

post #78 of 140 Old May 30th, 2011, 6:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffy
Thanks for the link. If you ever get your hands on the owner's manual in PDF, please post a link too.. Much appreciated.
Manuals for the K1600
http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-...icrofiche.html
post #79 of 140 Old Jun 1st, 2011, 11:30 am

After whats been on the posts lately about the bluetooths and BMW trying to push everyone to their communicators, the selector functions not working and having to buy an IPOD. i believe I will probably cancel my order for my GTL. I tried to link it with my Droid after my demo ride and could not do it. It should work with all bluetooth not a chosen few.
post #80 of 140 Old Jun 1st, 2011, 11:36 am

The pdf even tells us it work work with other stuff. That just ain't right.
post #81 of 140 Old Jun 1st, 2011, 4:06 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by davi601
The pdf even tells us it work work with other stuff.
Are you absolutely sure it isn't your Droid?

The Bluetooth should link up to any standard Bluetooth device and give you music and voice.

The Multi-Controller wheel will only work with BMW's GPS and BMW's helmet headset because it needs special software to communicate those wheel-specific commands. Since those software commands aren't based on "Bluetooth standard protocols" then you can't expect the same functionality for any old device.

Hell, most Android devices won't talk with each other smoothly due to customized protocols, either.

So you can't look at it like "BMW doesn't support my any-old-brand-phone so they suck" but rather that "BMW does support standard Bluetooth coms but also offers additional capabilities using their approved devices."

But if all that is still enough to turn you off of what is consistently described as a simply brilliant motorcycle, then I'd say you're probably not gonna be happy with the bike no matter what it does or doesn't do.

Ken
SoCal

post #82 of 140 Old Jun 1st, 2011, 4:20 pm
Old Dawg

Quote:
After whats been on the posts lately about the bluetooths and BMW trying to push everyone to their communicators, the selector functions not working and having to buy an IPOD. i believe I will probably cancel my order for my GTL. I tried to link it with my Droid after my demo ride and could not do it. It should work with all bluetooth not a chosen few.
I decided not to buy a Ducati last year because my Gucci luggage didn't compliment it properly either... I used to buy my bikes based on power, pleasure and overall riding experience but now I look at more important things like cell phone and garage door opener implementation.

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

'05 LT Ocean Blue
'03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - Red
'08 BMW F800ST Dark Blue (Jessica's)

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #83 of 140 Old Jun 1st, 2011, 5:11 pm

Quote:
Were you familiar with the published process for pairing your Droid device with the K16's audio system? Did you delete the existing device from the audio system before attempting to pair your phone?

No matter who manufactures what, if you don't follow the prescribed process, your attempt will fail.

And that's the way it is...

Steve W
Canton, MI USA

post #84 of 140 Old Jun 19th, 2011, 3:52 pm
Gold Supporter

Any info on the USB cable in the right glovebox, what type of device or player will it accept for music and will the left rotory switch intergrat to change the music or songs???Matthew
post #85 of 140 Old Jun 19th, 2011, 4:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadcrave
Any info on the USB cable in the right glovebox, what type of device or player will it accept for music and will the left rotory switch intergrat to change the music or songs???Matthew
I have about 4gig worth of music on a USB stick, all of it in individual directories (folders) by artist. Unfortunately, when I use the USB function for the radio it basically plays them alphabetically, and doesn't let me choose the folder (artist) I want to listen to.

post #86 of 140 Old Jun 19th, 2011, 4:22 pm
Gold Supporter

I was wondering about that, I did though search and cameup with this from the manual that it must support a2dp// A2DP is designed to transfer a uni-directional 2-channel stereo audio stream, like music from an MP3 player, to a headset or car radio.[2] This profile relies on AVDTP and GAVDP. It includes mandatory support for the low-complexity SBC codec (not to be confused with Bluetooth's voice-signal codecs such as CVSDM), and supports optionally: MPEG-1 , MPEG-2, MPEG-4, AAC, and ATRAC, and is extensible to support manufacturer-defined codecs, such as apt-X. Some Bluetooth stacks enforce the SCMS-T digital rights management (DRM) scheme. In these cases, it is impossible to connect certain A2DP headphones for high quality audio.
post #87 of 140 Old Jun 19th, 2011, 5:18 pm

A couple comments on installing the BMW headset in a C3 (dupe from K1600forum post):

My dealer received the two BMW communicator units I ordered with my GTL on Friday. I picked them up yesterday and had both installed by the evening. The installation is quite involved but not what I would call hard.

I should note that I have had my C3 apart before for installation of a J&M headset and then a Scala G4 headset, so I am very familiar/comfortable with disassembly/assembly of a C3 -- perhaps not the best person to judge difficulty for someone who has never ripped apart a C3 before.

For once, the instructions are excellent -- do it *exactly* as they say, and you'll be fine (be sure to have your dealer print out a copy for you!).

The one variation I did during installation: In the middle of the instructions, they have you go through a testing/diagnostic procedure, while all of the components are laying loose in the brain bucket, then finish the installation. I did the complete installation and then did the test.

On the system test itself, two things to note:

The test looks *very* long -- it's not. If the ~6 steps show the feature being tested to be ok, you skip a *lot* of text to the next step. The large amount of extra text is the diagnostics in the event a test step fails.

The other thing is that at a couple steps you are instructed to press the on/off button twice (to start the next test step). What they mean is press twice like a mouse double-click, not two slow presses.

The only tools needed were a cut-off piece of hanger to form a small hook, used to pull the rear chin strap-retaining strips back into the cheek pads to loop over the chin strap ends, and a pair of side cutters to snip off excess length of a couple zip-tie-like studs.

A couple not-obvious things:

After removing the cheek pads, you have to remove the hard foam sections under them. The front edge of the hard foam section is held in place by a short section of zip-tie-like piece of plastic afixed to the helmet shell, and a small (2cm) plastic disk. The plastic disk as two tiny center "fingers" through which the zip-tie end pass to retain the foam piece. You basically have to *gently* pry the foam section away from the helmet shell, until the two fingers "give up" and release (with a "pop") the zip-tie end.

The other non-obvious thing is the small plastic disk must be removed from the foam section. It is located under a flat plastic reinforcing plate. The disk is reused by placing it over the plastic plate on reassembly. To get the disk out (it is not planar; it has a center "pin" when locks it against sideways motion) I used a 5mm Allen wrench from behind the foam section to reach through the foam (in the hole where the zip-tie end originally passes though the foam) to push against the center pin and the lift the small disk away from the foam (pushing it against the plastic plate); pushing the wrench sideways a bit would slide the small disk toward the edge of the plastic plate. 4-5 repetitions slowly advances the disk until eventually slides out sideways from under the plastic plate.

Oh, and one more thing. My wife and I both found the indentations in the hard cheek foam for the ear speakers to be too high and slightly to the rear of the ear. A bit of trimming off the surface of the foam extended the speaker pockets down and slightly forward to center the speakers over our ears. Every head is different -- check the fit and modify or not as needed.

Happy to answer Qs.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA

Last edited by mneblett; Jun 19th, 2011 at 7:59 pm.
post #88 of 140 Old Jun 19th, 2011, 7:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett
A couple comments on installing the BMW headset in a C3 (dupe from K1600forum post):

My dealer received the two BMW communicator units I ordered with my GTL on Friday. I picked them up yesterday and had both installed by the evening. The installation is quite involved but not what I would call hard.

I should note that I have had my C3 apart before for installation of a J&M headset and then a Scala G4 headset, so I am very familiar/comfortable with disassembly/assembly of a C3 -- perhaps not the best person to judge difficulty for someone who has never ripped apart a C3 before.

For once, the instructions are excellent -- do it *exactly* as they say, and you'll be fine (be sure to have your dealer print out a copy for you!).
The one variation I did during installation: In the middle of the instructions, they have you go through a testing/diagnostic procedure, then finish the installation, while all of the components are laying loose in the brain bucket. I did the complete installation and then did the test.

On the system test itself, two things to note:

The test looks *very* long -- it's not. If the ~6 steps show the feature being tested to be ok, you skip a *lot* of text to the next step. The large amount of extra text is the diagnostics in the event a test step fails.

The other thing is that at a couple steps you are instructed to press the on/off button twice (to start the next test step). What they mean is press twice like a mouse double-click, not two slow presses.

The only tools needed were a cut-off piece of hanger to form a small hook, used to pull the rear chin strap-retaining strips back into the cheek pads to loop over the chin strap ends, and a pair of side cutters to snip off excess length of a couple zip-tie-like studs.

A couple not-obvious things:

After removing the cheek pads, you have to remove the hard foam sections under them. The front edge of the hard foam section is held in place by a short section of zip-tie-like piece of plastic afixed to the helmet shell, and a small (2cm) plastic disk. The plastic disk as two tiny center "fingers" through which the zip-tie end pass to retain the foam piece. You basically have to *gently* pry the foam section away from the helmet shell, until the two fingers "give up" and release (with a "pop") the zip-tie end.

The other non-obvious thing is the small plastic disk must be removed from the foam section. It is located under a flat plastic reinforcing plate. The disk is reused by placing it over the plastic plate on reassembly. To get the disk out (it is not planar; it was a center "pin" when locks it against sideways motion) I used a 5mm Allen wrench from behind the foam section to reach through the foam (in the hole where the zip-tie end originally passes though the foam) to push against the center pin and the lift the small disk away from the foam (pushing it against the plastic plate); pushing the wrench sideways a bit would slide the small disk toward the edge of the plastic plate. 4-5 repetitions slowly advances the disk until eventually slides out sideways from under the plastic plate.

Oh, and one more thing. My wife and I both found the indentations in the hard cheek foam for the ear speakers to be too high and slightly to the rear of the ear. A bit of trimming off the surface of the foam extended the speaker pockets down and slightly forward to center the speakers over our ears. Every head is different -- check the fit and modify or not as needed.

Happy to answer Qs.
Excellent post - thanks! I'm not sure if my dealer is willing to do the install for me, or if he's just going to hand me my communicator and wish me luck. The parts manager thought they'd be released by month-end, I'm encouraged that they're already starting to hit the streets. I ordered mine 5/19/11, and I'm half expecting BMW to issue us numbers for when our orders will be getting filled!

post #89 of 140 Old Jun 20th, 2011, 7:01 am

Not wanting (Wife will not let me) to spend another $2200.00 on new helmets & comm systems I did a simple wired upgrade to my GLT. First I pulled both speakers and the right panel covering the tank. I then took a 3.5 mm cable like THIS ONE & cut off the male end. I attached the wires from the cable to the speaker wires inside the speaker box. Note the cable is a 3 wire (2 + & 1 -) so only 1 of the 3 wires went to the left + speaker wire the other 2 connect to the right speaker. I then ran the cable above the tank to under my seat, attached a splitter cable like THIS ONE & ran one female plug up in front of the seat & the other one to the left side of the rear part of the seat.

My Scala G4 has an audio in port and came with a "Coiled" 3.5 mm cables. Just plug one end to the bike & the other to the Scala & we have music to the helmets. you only need to turn the music up to 1 bar on the bike & can adjust the level at the bike or the Scala. I can hear the GPS prompts over the radio so I paired my phone to the Scala so I can hear it ring & make calls with the Scala. I had the phone paired to the GPS then the GPS to my Scala but could not hear the phone ring. If I was not looking at the GPS I would miss the call.

Very simple way to get the music to my helmet & only cost about $10.00

Stevie Shreeve
2012 K1600GTL
2015 KLR650
post #90 of 140 Old Jun 28th, 2011, 8:24 am

After having a GTL for almost a month here is what I know about the comm system.
The Scala G4 will pair but reestablishing the pair after the bike is turned off is spoty.
The J&M blutooth headset would not pair.
J&M has come out with a new CB that also incorporates a intercom and it works. In the next couple of weeks J&M will have a propiratory antenna for the GTL. Also J&M is building a harness to link the CB with the comm system.
I still plan on getting aBMW Comm System for my Schuberth helmet as well as keeping the wired system on my other helmets.

2014 K1600 Exclusive
2015 R1200RTP
2015 Lexus NX F Sport
Colorado PGR
post #91 of 140 Old Jul 4th, 2011, 12:16 am
Ric

Well I must say I am totally confused by everything that has been written in this thread. Hell I didn't know bikers were hooking up all these gadgets and gizmos on their bikes and/or into their helmets. I guess I must be an old timer because when I get on a motor I want to get away from all the bullsh** and crap going on. If I want to talk on the phone or watch a darn gps screen I will take my truck. The last thing I want to know while I am on my motorcycle is how my stocks are doing or (perish the thought) that I made a wrong turn. It used to be that riders bought bikes to get away from the high tech baloney in the world, but it sounds like most of you want the exact opposite. God forbid someone can't pair their bluetooth whatsit to their new BMW. Does anyone just push the "off" button and go for a ride anymore????

By the way, a lot of people can't wear a Schuberth helmet because Schuberth does a poor job of fitting helmets for oblong heads.

Rick
post #92 of 140 Old Jul 4th, 2011, 6:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric
I guess I must be an old timer because when I get on a motor I want to get away from all the bullsh** and crap going on. If I want to talk on the phone or watch a darn gps screen I will take my truck.
Well goody for you.

Well, I've been riding for more than 30 years and I'm not a technophobe, so I don't know how you define an "old timer."

You condemn the rest of us because we don't ride bikes for the same reasons as you? Because we ride with others (like spouses on the passenger seat or on their own bikes) and enjoy talking with them? Because we commute on our bikes and want to hear the traffic reports? Or we want to be available to our spouse or kid via telephone when either commuting or on tour?

So exactly what did your rant against technology accomplish, other than to show all of us you're too narrow-minded to deal with others doing something different than you think is the "right" why to ride?

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA

Last edited by mneblett; Jul 4th, 2011 at 6:53 am.
post #93 of 140 Old Jul 4th, 2011, 9:36 am

Id like to make my communication system as simple as possible so Ill ask a very simple question of the group. I want my passenger to hear the radio, and we would like to be able to talk to each other. Thats it, should be a simple fix. Whats the solution???

Thanks,

Bud
post #94 of 140 Old Jul 4th, 2011, 9:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudGTL
Id like to make my communication system as simple as possible so Ill ask a very simple question of the group. I want my passenger to hear the radio, and we would like to be able to talk to each other. Thats it, should be a simple fix. Whats the solution???

Thanks,

Bud
2 Schuberth helmets with the BMW Communicators installed. About $2,400.

Jamie

2012 K1600 GTL (Metallic Silver)
2010 K1300 GT (Blue) Her's

post #95 of 140 Old Jul 4th, 2011, 11:38 am

Thanks, but spending another $2400 is not in the plan. There has to be a simple inexpensive way to do this.
post #96 of 140 Old Jul 4th, 2011, 4:24 pm

Quote:
Thanks, but spending another $2400 is not in the plan. There has to be a simple inexpensive way to do this.
I don't blame you a bit, but it might not be possible unless there is something developed (in the future) that can be wired into the audio system, then plugged into your helmets. I believe I saw somewhere that it's only the BMW Communicator that permits 2 helmets to connect to the bike. I did hear that they were going to market a "universal" BMW system that you might be able to attach to existing helmets, much like the Cardo systems. That would at least save the $1,400 for the Schuberth helmets. We'll keep our fingers crossed that someone develops an aftermarket system that will be cheaper.

Jamie

2012 K1600 GTL (Metallic Silver)
2010 K1300 GT (Blue) Her's

post #97 of 140 Old Jul 4th, 2011, 4:28 pm

When I get my BMW Comm System I will look at it and see if it can be retrofitted to any other brand of helmet.

2014 K1600 Exclusive
2015 R1200RTP
2015 Lexus NX F Sport
Colorado PGR
post #98 of 140 Old Jul 4th, 2011, 7:29 pm

Quote:
Yep Less then $50.00 & your good to go
CLICK HERE

I hooked mine into my Scala G4 but you can just use Earbuds too.

Stevie Shreeve
2012 K1600GTL
2015 KLR650
post #99 of 140 Old Jul 5th, 2011, 4:55 pm

Check the Apple App Store for something called "AutoAnswer." It is available for Android and it's free; which means it is probably also available for Apple.

I've got the app on my Android phone, and have set it to answer automatically four seconds after it starts to ring. From there it is hardwired directly into my LT intercom system.

Works great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iride4u
Some things that I have noticed.

3. I-Phones will ring through the Nav 4 but I have not found a way to answer it yet.
(this keeps the LT a cell free zone)
post #100 of 140 Old Jul 21st, 2011, 8:52 pm

The Schubreth C1 was my favorite helmet ever. I am disappointed that with a $25-30K bike and $2K+ for helmets that there does not seem to be a good fit.

Michael M. Moore
'82 R100RT (LT's GREAT Grandfather)
BMWOA # 86022, BMWRA # 26652
N5RWH

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.