Top speed limiter? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By meese
  • 1 Post By meese

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Feb 8th, 2017, 11:51 pm Thread Starter

Top speed limiter?

My 19 yr. old will always have permission to ride my gt. But.... the other day he took his girlfriend for a ride. I checked the gps and saw he went 120 mph. That freakin' !=*"&x/#!!#. Is there an electronic way to limit the top speed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Feb 9th, 2017, 10:07 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Re: Top speed limiter?

The K1600GTL is electronically speed limited to 140 mph, due to aerodynamic concerns from the large trunk.

The K1600GT has no speed limiter, and we've seen as high as 158 mph (GPS confirmed).

Running at 120 mph can be reasonably safe for a skilled rider on an open, flat, clear section of highway. Whether that's what he did or not isn't clear, as the K16 can easily get up to triple digits in seconds on almost any road.

To answer your question, no, there's no way to set a user-defined top speed limit.

So if that's a real concern for you, then you need to be a parent and take away his right to ride your bike. Or let him ride it, but with some specific instructions as to top speed, with clear consequences for breaking that.

Until he just learns to clear the GPS top speed display before bringing the bike back...
zippy_gg, ibbones and Whiskey like this.

Ken
SoCal
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting . . .
'12 Mineral Silver Metallic K16GTLD, 59K miles and gone.
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 32,690 miles & now rebuilt!
'07 Dark Graphite Metallic K12GT, 138,220 miles & now rebuilt!
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from . . .
post #3 of 10 Old Feb 11th, 2017, 1:40 pm Thread Starter

Meese... thanks for your reply. Dave.

post #4 of 10 Old Feb 11th, 2017, 4:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese View Post
The K1600GTL is electronically speed limited to 140 mph, due to aerodynamic concerns from the large trunk.

The K1600GT has no speed limiter, and we've seen as high as 158 mph (GPS confirmed).

Running at 120 mph can be reasonably safe for a skilled rider on an open, flat, clear section of highway. Whether that's what he did or not isn't clear, as the K16 can easily get up to triple digits in seconds on almost any road.

To answer your question, no, there's no way to set a user-defined top speed limit.

So if that's a real concern for you, then you need to be a parent and take away his right to ride your bike. Or let him ride it, but with some specific instructions as to top speed, with clear consequences for breaking that.

Until he just learns to clear the GPS top speed display before bringing the bike back...
I passed four cars in Italy and hit 126 mph with my wife on the back. She wasn't too happy. Said the wind nearly pulled her helmet off.

2007 K1200LT, VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator, K7MSW
post #5 of 10 Old Feb 12th, 2017, 9:35 am
IBR# 366

Garage

With a stock screen? I can see that.

With a quality aftermarket screen and some additional wind management, it's much better, even at high speeds.

Ken
SoCal

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from . . .
post #6 of 10 Old Feb 12th, 2017, 3:21 pm

Quote:
With a stock screen? I can see that.

With a quality aftermarket screen and some additional wind management, it's much better, even at high speeds.
Yes, both of my GTL experiences were on rentals in Europe. I am pretty sure both were stock. Passenger wind protection is terrible above 50 mph. That is the single biggest reason BMW hasn't sold me a GTL.

I have no doubt a better aftermarket shield can be found. However, I test ride what the dealer has and they have stock shields. I am not going to spend 30 grand on a bike that comes factory deficient in a key touring attribute and then spend $1,000 or more buying windshields hoping to find one that works.

post #7 of 10 Old Feb 12th, 2017, 8:36 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Yeah, we keep having this discussion.

Every Beemer I've ever owned has needed a new seat and windscreen, including the LT.

And reports from this forum, as well as many discussions I've had with various aftermarket seat and windscreen manufacturers show that I'm far from alone on this...
zippy_gg likes this.

Ken
SoCal

post #8 of 10 Old Feb 12th, 2017, 9:26 pm
Lifetime Supporter

My LT had a V-stream shield on it when I bought it (which I loved), but the seat was awful so I had RDL do their magic and all was well. When I got the GTLE, I couldn't stand the wind buffeting AND the seat, so I took it up to Russell for a ride in appointment and not only did it cure the butt problem, but is also solved the wind buffeting issue. YMMV...

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #9 of 10 Old Feb 13th, 2017, 6:23 am

Quote:
Yeah, we keep having this discussion.

Every Beemer I've ever owned has needed a new seat and windscreen, including the LT.

And reports from this forum, as well as many discussions I've had with various aftermarket seat and windscreen manufacturers show that I'm far from alone on this...
Yes, you were an ideal candidate for the 1600.

I rode my Kawasaki Voyager XII for 17 years with stock seat and shield. 10 years now on my LT with stock seat and shield. LT seat is not as good as the Voyager, but the addition of a Beadrider made it good for 600 mile days and I rarely have need to ride more than that.

You may not be alone, but judging by sales of the 1600, you are in a small group. My local dealer hates them. Has to deep discount them to move them. Having a bike that when test ridden in stock livery doesn't appeal to the experienced passenger is, in my opinion, a blunder for a two-up touring bike like the GTL. A fine strategy for the GT, but stupid for the GTL.

post #10 of 10 Old Feb 13th, 2017, 3:45 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Yep, planning on a National Cycle VStream Z2464 (approx $279) and eventually a RDL seat as well.
Got the AirHawk seat pad to make it "better than stock" for now...

James Brown
Seabrook, Texas

2016 K1600 GTL
1979 Suzuki GS550E (sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.