7Likes
  • 1 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By meese
  • 3 Post By JNW003
  • 2 Post By meese

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Jan 2nd, 2017, 8:01 am Thread Starter

2017 GTL

Has anyone been to one of the IMS' to see the 2017 models? As an LT owner who is continually looking for a successor ride, I am interested in the 2017 models after reading that reverse has been added and the fairing modified for better weather protection, particularly hand protection. Weather protection is one of the main shortcomings I experienced on my two GTL rentals. If BMW addressed that, I would be much closer to considering leaving the LT for a GTL. The reverse is nice, but was never a showstopper for me. Same for the EHCS. I like it a lot, but that isn't a must have.

The two must haves are better weather protection, hands and feet in particular, and a smoother drivetrain without the horrendous back lash. Being able to direct radiator heat to the feet, a la Gold Wing, would be ideal, but at least blocking wind and rain as well as the LT is the minimum requirement. The 2015 I rented this past summer had much less drive train slop as compared to the 2013 I rented, but still much more than my LT and far more than an FJR1300, my current benchmark for engine and drivetrain smoothness.

I am awaiting some test ride reports, but even a visual assessment of the fairing changes would be interesting. It is easy to look at an LT and a GTL from the front and immediately know that the GTL is woefully deficient in protection of the hands and, to a lesser degree, the feet.

2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise"
VOICE II
Navigator V
Motorrad Communicator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Jan 2nd, 2017, 9:29 am
Lifetime Supporter

I rented a 2015 last year with 35,000 on the clock and the driveline backlash was hellish. When I told someone about it my SO said "Oh yeah!". My '08 LT has 110,000 and way less backlash.
post #3 of 15 Old Jan 16th, 2017, 10:23 am

Re: 2017 GTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Has anyone been to one of the IMS' to see the 2017 models? As an LT owner who is continually looking for a successor ride, I am interested in the 2017 models after reading that reverse has been added and the fairing modified for better weather protection, particularly hand protection. Weather protection is one of the main shortcomings I experienced on my two GTL rentals. If BMW addressed that, I would be much closer to considering leaving the LT for a GTL. The reverse is nice, but was never a showstopper for me. Same for the EHCS. I like it a lot, but that isn't a must have.

The two must haves are better weather protection, hands and feet in particular, and a smoother drivetrain without the horrendous back lash. Being able to direct radiator heat to the feet, a la Gold Wing, would be ideal, but at least blocking wind and rain as well as the LT is the minimum requirement. The 2015 I rented this past summer had much less drive train slop as compared to the 2013 I rented, but still much more than my LT and far more than an FJR1300, my current benchmark for engine and drivetrain smoothness.

I am awaiting some test ride reports, but even a visual assessment of the fairing changes would be interesting. It is easy to look at an LT and a GTL from the front and immediately know that the GTL is woefully deficient in protection of the hands and, to a lesser degree, the feet.
For all you stated above is exactly the same reasons why i won't go to the GTL myself from my LT. I really love the wind/weather protection the LT provides. In my opinion. There isn't a bike that offers any better. My friend who i do cc rides with has a 2010 Goldwing. His offers very good protection. He loves his bike .But in own words. The wing has a nice fairing for protection. But not like that LT. Guys have been behind me on cruisers, bikes with no or minimal protection. Fatboys , Suzuki Intruders, Streetbobs. They said being behind the LT is like following a semi. It just sprays and mists. Lol. The other shortcoming for me is the topcase. It just looks like an afterthought.It feels flimsy ,shaky. But. I guess the guys on the forum have a solution for that .Besides the wife isn't crazy about the GTL. Or anything else for that matter. She absolutely loves the LT. But i will check out the new model and give it a fair shot .

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.

Last edited by james216; Jan 16th, 2017 at 10:29 am.

post #4 of 15 Old Jan 17th, 2017, 6:32 pm

You won't see the 2017 GT/GTL in the states until May or June

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #5 of 15 Old Jan 18th, 2017, 9:36 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Yep.

Lots of leftover '16s still in Dealer inventory...

Ken
SoCal
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 20K miles and counting . . .
'12 Mineral Silver Metallic K16GTLD, 59K miles and gone.
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 32,690 miles & now rebuilt!
'07 Dark Graphite Metallic K12GT, 138,220 miles & now rebuilt!
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from . . .
post #6 of 15 Old Jan 19th, 2017, 6:43 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese View Post
Yep.

Yes, I spoke with a local dealer who hates the 1600s, but apparently BMW makes them take a certain number of 1600s in order to get the other more desirable models in greater numbers. Not sure how true that is, but it sounds plausible. I think BMW could retire a lot of LTs if they would address the issues with driveline lash, wind protection, passenger comfort and that abominable bouncing trunk. Most of us simply aren't willing to buy one of the most expensive bikes available (I think only exceeded by a few Harley models) and then need to invest a couple thousand more to make it as comfortable as our 20 year-old design LT.

The reports on the 2017 models suggest that BMW is moving that direction, so I am hopeful. If they address these issues, my LT would be for sale tomorrow. If they don't, I can make it last 10 more years.
ibbones likes this.

VOICE II
Navigator V
Motorrad Communicator
post #7 of 15 Old Jan 19th, 2017, 11:38 am

Quote:
Yep.

Wonder when we'll start seeing and hearing from owners of the K 1600 B?

MarkF
2005 Ducati ST3
post #8 of 15 Old Jan 19th, 2017, 11:35 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

That's funny, as many owners I know have spent way more than a couple thousand dollars on their LT's...
JNW003 likes this.

Ken
SoCal

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from . . .
post #9 of 15 Old Jan 20th, 2017, 6:26 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
That's funny, as many owners I know have spent way more than a couple thousand dollars on their LT's...
Russell Day Long did their magic on both the LT and the GTLE for me, as the stock seats were awful. In relation to drive line backlash, I really haven't noticed it on mine, and I am satisfied with the wind protection on the GTLE (initially I didn't like it, as I thought I needed another windshield to improve airflow, but the RDL seat altered the sitting position and cured my wind protection concern). The top case does bounce around, and if someone hadn't mentioned it at the dealer, I probably wouldn't have noticed, as I predominately ride solo and can't see it behind me anyway.

In comparison to the LT, I haven't heard much on the K1600 forum, if anything, about failing rear drives, ABS issues, leaking plastic fuel line quick disconnects, dry clutches ruined because of a leaking seal, internal fuel line breaks, fuel tanks collapsing and causing the fuel level float to stop working, cannisterectomies, bursting brake lines, broken top case latches, shifter linkage issues, front wheel wobble, etc, etc. I loved my LT, but the K1600 has solved many of the aforementioned issues.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #10 of 15 Old Jan 20th, 2017, 9:29 am Thread Starter

Quote:
You missed my point. I wasn't talking about making the best bike better, I was talking about making a new expensive bike almost as good as a 20 year old design. Huge difference, at least to me.

When I moved from my Voyager XII to my LT, I had to spend $0 to make the LT as good as my old bike. The LT was a better touring bike in every way, save cost of ownership. To move from the LT to the GTL requires a major step back in comfort, especially passenger comfort. Not a trade I am willing to make. People with different priorities, or who ride only solo, or who have money to burn will make different decisions.

I am simply letting BMW know how they could improve GTL sales if they desired. They made a huge marketing mistake in making the GT and GTL nearly identical and dropping way back from the LT in two-up comfort. They are slowly fixing this, but taking way too long. The GT should have been for the folks who wanted a sportier touring bike than the LT. People who are probably like you.

The GTL should have been an even more powerful and comfortable luxury touring bike. There should have been no need for the Exclusive as the GTL should have covered that area and more. Having three models so close together is just poor marketing. Feel free to disagree, but the dismal 1600 sales bear this out pretty well. Dropping back on capability is a recipe for disaster. Ask any car maker who has removed luxury from their luxury brand.

VOICE II
Navigator V
Motorrad Communicator
post #11 of 15 Old Jan 20th, 2017, 2:23 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

You and I have already had this discussion, my friend.

While I do see your points, and I do respect the things that the LT did well, I can say that out on the road the K16 just does so many things so much better.

If that's not the case for your riding style and your desires, so be it. Meanwhile, I'm still cranking out the miles daily, as I know you are...

Ken
SoCal

post #12 of 15 Old Jan 20th, 2017, 2:55 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
You and I have already had this discussion, my friend.

While I do see your points, and I do respect the things that the LT did well, I can say that out on the road the K16 just does so many things so much better.

If that's not the case for your riding style and your desires, so be it. Meanwhile, I'm still cranking out the miles daily, as I know you are...
Yes, which is why I was surprised to see your post in this thread.

I figured you must be bored.

VOICE II
Navigator V
Motorrad Communicator
post #13 of 15 Old Jan 21st, 2017, 10:41 am
IBR# 366

Garage

I still pop in now and again to see how the old crowd is doing.

Gotta maintain my #1 post ranking here.
ibbones and Voyager like this.

Ken
SoCal

post #14 of 15 Old Jan 22nd, 2017, 9:56 am

There a several articles on the 2017 improvements to the GT and GTL here is what I have read as relate to improvements:

Enhanced visual presence.
Optimized wind and weather protection due to enlarged slipstream deflectors as well as side trim sections moved further to the rear.
Relaxed, upright seating posture with handlebars shifted further back (as compared to the K 1600 GT) and lower footrests.
Electronic suspension Dynamic ESA with automatic damping adaptation as standard.
Reverse assist for even simpler maneuverability as an ex works option.
Shift Assistant Pro for shifting up and down without clutch activation as an ex works option.
Intelligent Emergency Call as an ex works option for rapid assistance in an accident or emergency (currently only available in European markets with Connected Drive capability).
New color schemes: Light white non-metallic; Thunder grey metallic; K 1600 GTL Elegance: Ebony metallic/Black storm metallic

Scott
2007 LT
post #15 of 15 Old Jan 22nd, 2017, 10:15 am Thread Starter

Quote:
I still pop in now and again to see how the old crowd is doing.

Gotta maintain my #1 post ranking here.
I think you are safe for some time to come.

VOICE II
Navigator V
Motorrad Communicator

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.