• 1 Post By Medic-norm
  • 2 Post By powwow
  • 1 Post By james216
  • 1 Post By nhhandyman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Oct 8th, 2016, 10:54 am Thread Starter

Garage
Top Case

I am seriously looking to purchase a RT 1200 next year. However the top case from the GTL provides more comfort for the passenger. Wondering if anyone has secured the top case from the GTL to the RT. Thanks in advance.
Geoff c likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Oct 8th, 2016, 12:21 pm

Garage
Re: Top Case

I looked at this recently and am also interested in what others say. From the pics it appears the two boxes mount differently but I have not actually compared them in person. A search showed several people that have installed the GTLE top to the lower section of the RT box but I could not find anyone that had actually changed out the entire box. I also could not find any info on whether or not the wire in the RT box for the backrest heater was hot when the seat heater was on if anyone knows that answer. Good luck, Steve
post #3 of 18 Old Oct 9th, 2016, 7:24 am

One thing I have noticed is the top case on my K1600 has movement or flexibility in it on the base ,I'm going to be looking into stiffing it up some on the base if possible.......

post #4 of 18 Old Jan 7th, 2017, 10:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic-norm View Post
I am seriously looking to purchase a RT 1200 next year. However the top case from the GTL provides more comfort for the passenger. Wondering if anyone has secured the top case from the GTL to the RT. Thanks in advance.
Probably too late to be helpful, but I put a GTL top case on my '14 RT. Follow the link for pics

https://goo.gl/photos/Cb62UaSc9ZYKLsji6
post #5 of 18 Old Jan 8th, 2017, 8:56 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfreeland View Post
Probably too late to be helpful, but I put a GTL top case on my '14 RT. Follow the link for pics

Your riding jacket to bike ratio looks to be about 4:1 - I just bought my third jacket so I am not quite keeping up with you.

Like looking at girls, looking at other guys' garages and bikes turns me on. Nice garage.

Current Bike: 2014 R1200RT

Currently live in North Metro Atlanta
post #6 of 18 Old Jan 8th, 2017, 9:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillH View Post
Your riding jacket to bike ratio looks to be about 4:1 - I just bought my third jacket so I am not quite keeping up with you.

Like looking at girls, looking at other guys' garages and bikes turns me on. Nice garage.
LOL! You obviously didn't notice the 2 other bikes visible in 1 of the pics (1 of which I store on a table lift as I ran out of floor space) and there are 2 more not seen in any pics. So, your ratio exceeds mine by a factor of 4+ or more, since 1/2 of those jackets you see are for the wife!!

Last edited by mfreeland; Jan 8th, 2017 at 9:58 am.
post #7 of 18 Old Jan 8th, 2017, 1:40 pm

I just ordered the GTL backrest when I ordered my RT top case.

Don't quote me, but I don't think the RT has the circuitry to power the heated backrest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 18 Old Jan 9th, 2017, 9:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquajoe View Post

Don't quote me, but I don't think the RT has the circuitry to power the heated backrest.

I understand that the power draw of the heated backrest is not that great. The trickier part would be wiring it. Apparently, only the GTLE comes with the wiring for or has the option of adding a harness for the heated backrest.

Mike
post #9 of 18 Old Jan 9th, 2017, 9:37 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquajoe View Post

I did the same and you are correct...the RT isn't wired for the heated backrest. My SO pronounced the GTL backrest a DRAMATIC improvement to the stock RT backrest. Mama's happy...everybody's happy.
Geoff c and aquajoe like this.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #10 of 18 Old Jan 9th, 2017, 11:09 pm

This case fits the wethead rack with no mods ?
post #11 of 18 Old Jan 10th, 2017, 7:58 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzyMount View Post
This case fits the wethead rack with no mods ?
Yes...no mods.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #12 of 18 Old Jan 11th, 2017, 4:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfreeland View Post

I love the indicators in the top box Brake light. I have the brake light and when I bought it I thought for the $300.00 AUD is should at least have tail light /brake light combo instead of just a brake light. To have the indicators as well would be a nice addition ,plus added safety.
post #13 of 18 Old Jan 15th, 2017, 10:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff c View Post
I love the indicators in the top box Brake light. I have the brake light and when I bought it I thought for the $300.00 AUD is should at least have tail light /brake light combo instead of just a brake light. To have the indicators as well would be a nice addition ,plus added safety.
For about 1/2 the cost of the BMW top case light I was able to put together a brighter running/modulated brake/integrated turn signals. The wiring is a bit of a bird's nest with having to use several relays and the running/brake light resistor and brake light modulator but it works great and looks stock.

Mike
post #14 of 18 Old Jan 16th, 2017, 9:49 am

Mike.That GTL top case looks really nice on the RT. I just wonder if a heated backrest version was installed. Like the GTLE has. If it could be tied in with the RT's heated seat switch where both come on? Like an LT does.
Geoff c likes this.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.

Last edited by james216; Jan 16th, 2017 at 10:03 am.
post #15 of 18 Old Jan 28th, 2017, 6:06 pm

Garage

I just popped my color-match painted top case on. Its the case for the RT, with the GTL backrest added.

Google Photo Shared Album

If you don't replace the hinges you will have a little overhang - I'm going to leave them this way for now and see what happens. I may try and fit something up in there.

Not sure why it was shipped with a replacement latch. I left the stock one on.
Geoff c likes this.
post #16 of 18 Old Jan 28th, 2017, 6:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhhandyman View Post
I just popped my color-match painted top case on. Its the case for the RT, with the GTL backrest added.

Google Photo Shared Album

If you don't replace the hinges you will have a little overhang - I'm going to leave them this way for now and see what happens. I may try and fit something up in there.

Not sure why it was shipped with a replacement latch. I left the stock one on.
Wow that looks fantastic and a great job . Funny how just something simple can make a big difference . Best of all it personalises the bike. Thanks so much for sharing .I did something similar with my Victory.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0190.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	122097  
post #17 of 18 Old Jan 30th, 2017, 7:48 am

Garage

I would edit my post but there doesn't seem to be an 'edit' - maybe as my post number increases it will be a priv... anway...

I bought the case and the backrest from MAX BMW in Hampton, NH. They did the color match paint for $400 (pricey for the amount of surface) but it looks great.

I was told that the holes did not line up and I would have to do some drilling. That is NOT the case, all holes line up.

The backrest comes in two pieces - The upper section is bolted onto the lower section and then the unit is attached to the top case.

I thought I had to replace or modify the hinges so I ended up taking the top of the case apart...but that was not necessary.

As noted in the pictures, there is an overhang on each side which would not be there if the other hinges ($51 a piece) were installed.
post #18 of 18 Old Jan 30th, 2017, 3:42 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Thanks for the pictures. Looks good. How does your passenger enjoy the ride back there?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.