Price for new 2014 GTL at dealer. - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By gorm5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Sep 21st, 2016, 8:00 pm Thread Starter

Price for new 2014 GTL at dealer.

I' m trying to talk a friend into buying a nice bike like an RT or K1600 GTL . He rides on old Valkarie and think he would enjoy riding so much more on a nice machine. I have an RT and GS. What would be a reasonable price at a dealer for a new 2014 GTL .They are asking $20600. Hard to believe they have unsold 3 year old bikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Sep 21st, 2016, 11:35 pm

Re: Price for new 2014 GTL at dealer.

Easy to believe they have 3 unsold bikes: They priced their bikes to keep instead of to sell. Go in with cash and offer the low number he can afford and see what happens.
post #3 of 12 Old Sep 22nd, 2016, 9:00 am

Agreed. The market is small for bikes that sticker for $25k+. Hope he gets it - great bike!

Chris W

Current
'14 K1600 GTL

Previous
'09 HD Fat Bob
'07 K1200 LT (gf misses it)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'01 Triumph Sprint ST
'79 Suzuki GS1100E

post #4 of 12 Old Sep 22nd, 2016, 4:26 pm

Price for new 2014 GTL at dealer.

NADA book shows $26.6k MSRP; average retail for great condition used is shown as $18.5k...so $6k less than sticker at a BMW dealership is a good place to start talking to them.

That being said, I doubt if they'd go as low as $19K... Remember, this would be a bike with almost no miles and hopefully a full warranty once it leaves the door.

I paid a little less than $15k for a 2013 GTL with about 24,000 miles on it earlier this year and I'm very happy with the price I paid.

One hell of a bike if you can get it at the right price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old Sep 26th, 2016, 4:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryE View Post
I' m trying to talk a friend into buying a nice bike like an RT or K1600 GTL . He rides on old Valkarie and think he would enjoy riding so much more on a nice machine. I have an RT and GS. What would be a reasonable price at a dealer for a new 2014 GTL .They are asking $20600. Hard to believe they have unsold 3 year old bikes.
Where are you located?
That makes a big difference in prices.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
03 Saab Convertible (other spare bike
)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #6 of 12 Old Sep 26th, 2016, 6:32 pm Thread Starter

The dealer is in El Paso .
post #7 of 12 Old Sep 26th, 2016, 6:41 pm

the dealer has that vehicle on a floor plan and is paying interest on the purchase value all the time it sits- at some point they should blow it out to clear their credit limits for the new incoming units - if they us the FIFO system (first in first out) they have to start cutting their loss's soon as when the new models come in they have to take a predetermined number of units (as prescribed by the manufacturer. So go low with CASH in hand.
post #8 of 12 Old Sep 27th, 2016, 2:52 am
Lifetime Supporter

BMW is currently allowing 9 months no-interest to dealers for their inventory on newer bikes as they have a bunch of unsold bikes in their central warehouses according to my dealer. Also, the '14's are not eligible for the 0.9% interest rate financing if your friend is planning on financing it. I don't know how long the '14 has been at the dealer and if it has reached the point where BMW would begin charging them interest on unsold dealer inventory. I'd also be curious what they would offer for a newer model (for a '15 or '16 ordered from their New Jersey depot which would be eligible for the lower financing rate, in addition to other manufacturer discounts)... Once you take delivery of a '14, even though it has never been licensed, it's still almost 3 years old from a resell and depreciation perspective.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #9 of 12 Old Sep 27th, 2016, 11:40 am

Quote:
The dealer is in El Paso .
I would suggest you call West Valley Cycle and talk to Ruth.
20212 Saticoy St, Winnetka, CA 91306
Phone: (818) 341-7221
Hours: Open today · 10AM–6PM

Ruth will tell you how to get additional discounts and I think you can get a 2016 K1600 for just around 20K before taxes.

I live at walking distance from the store and built a great relationship with them.
It might be work your friend's while to negotiate a great deal and fly out to get the bike. If this works for him have contact me and I'll do what I can to help, pick up at the Burbank airport, etc.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
03 Saab Convertible (other spare bike
)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #10 of 12 Old Sep 27th, 2016, 12:03 pm

Suggesting a bike for your friend to move into BMW's is a handful. Just off the top of my head, the cost of maintenance between the bikes (and the amount you can do yourself) is very different. The RT is the cheaper of course. I'd head him towards an RT if he is interested. Test rides are important. And as we get older, lighter bikes are nice. BMW RT won best sport touring bike this year in Motorcycle Magazine. It is always near the top.

Beech

K13S & DR650 (gone through a few RT's)
R1200GS (2014)
S1000R
Mount Vernon Cannon Works
post #11 of 12 Old Sep 29th, 2016, 5:06 pm

Quote:
At ease, Larry. The Valkyrie IS a very NICE machine. Very different from the GTL, but very nice. I did rent a 2014 GTL while on vacation a couple of years ago. Great bike!! Loved how fast it was and all the options simplified into the 2 wheels. I looked into buying a 1600, but my wife would not let me spend that much on a second bike. As the years go by, the GTL prices may dip low enough for me to get approval.
Tricky_dickey likes this.

Patrick Russell

I live and ride in Illinois, which has some of the straightest roads in the country.

1984 Bluish Honda CB 650 (retired)
1986 Red Honda Nighthawk 450 (abandoned)
Didn't own a bike from 1999 to 2012
1997 Black Honda Valkyrie (still own)
2005 Ocean Blue BMW K1200LT (bought in March '16)

IBA Saddlesore 1000 finisher

Notable motorcyle trips:
Tail of the Dragon/Deal's Gap.
Grand Algoma Loop

Bucket List destinations:
Sturgis (maybe)
Nova Scotia
Pacific Coast highway
post #12 of 12 Old Sep 30th, 2016, 3:42 pm Thread Starter

My friend ended up buying a slightly used 2016 RT. He traded the Valkyrie and is picking up the bike today. Now I have to buy a new RT to replace my trusty 2002 RT.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.