Stiffness of the top case - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By hallzee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jul 29th, 2016, 1:29 pm Thread Starter

Stiffness of the top case

LT rider since 2008 and I'm looking at getting a GTL. My wife and I rode one for 2 weeks a couple years ago, and one of our "observations" was that the top case was just too unstable and she felt uneasy with how much it moved. Has anyone been able to remedy this? I am interested in actual remedies, not answers that suggest it's fine and she'll get used to it.

Steve & Cheryl
'15 GTLE
'05 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Aug 2nd, 2016, 10:22 am

Re: Stiffness of the top case

For what it's worth, when my gf is not on the bike and I see the top case bouncing (empty) in the rearview mirror, it makes me contemplate the integrity of the mounting points. In other words, I think it's too loose too. My gf has never mentioned it (previous/first touring bike was an LT).

I just asked my gf about it. "Sometimes [the top case is] a bit wobbly, but I chalk that up to 'by design'"

Chris W

Current
'14 K1600 GTL

Previous
'09 HD Fat Bob
'07 K1200 LT (gf misses it)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'01 Triumph Sprint ST
'79 Suzuki GS1100E

Last edited by cwarren; Aug 2nd, 2016 at 11:17 am.
post #3 of 8 Old Aug 4th, 2016, 6:26 am
Old Slow Guy on a Fast Bike.

I took 2 pieces of 1 inch wide X 1/8 thick steel straps about 12 to 14 inches long. Make sure they are about 1 3/4 inch longer on each side of the width of the top case mounting rack on the bike. Drilled holes 1 inch from the ends. Welded 2, 3 inch long carriage bolts into the ends of 1 strap. The carriage bolts have a rounded head to make a lower profile in the trunk. Drilled 2 holes through the top case so the bolts are about 3/4 of an inch away from each side of the mounting rack on the bike. Put the strap with bolts inside the top case and put the other strap (one with only holes in ends) under the rack. Use self locking nuts so they don't back off. Basically you're just clamping the top case to the rack. Now the top case still moves some but not a much as it did before. Sammie likes the results plus if you want to take the top case off you still can, just unbolt the 2 nuts and remove. I never take mine off.

Stevie Shreeve
2012 K1600GTL
2015 KLR650

post #4 of 8 Old Aug 7th, 2016, 12:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by smahon View Post
LT rider since 2008 and I'm looking at getting a GTL. My wife and I rode one for 2 weeks a couple years ago, and one of our "observations" was that the top case was just too unstable and she felt uneasy with how much it moved. Has anyone been able to remedy this? I am interested in actual remedies, not answers that suggest it's fine and she'll get used to it.
I don't own a 1600 so I can't offer a solution. I do have close to 5,000 miles and 4 weeks riding on two different rentals: 2013 GTL & 2015 GTLE.

You are right to look for a solution. My wife has yet to get used to the GTL trunk and finds it annoying and not confidence inspiring. She always comments how nice it is to be on a real touring bike once we get back on our LT.

I know it would have cost a few bucks more, but I wish BMW had kept the GT for the sport touring crowd with removal bags and trunk and made the GTL for the luxury touring crowd with solid integrated luggage that doesn't look and feel like an afterthought.
post #5 of 8 Old Aug 11th, 2016, 12:02 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn View Post
I took 2 pieces of 1 inch wide X 1/8 thick steel straps about 12 to 14 inches long. Make sure they are about 1 3/4 inch longer on each side of the width of the top case mounting rack on the bike. Drilled holes 1 inch from the ends. Welded 2, 3 inch long carriage bolts into the ends of 1 strap. The carriage bolts have a rounded head to make a lower profile in the trunk. Drilled 2 holes through the top case so the bolts are about 3/4 of an inch away from each side of the mounting rack on the bike. Put the strap with bolts inside the top case and put the other strap (one with only holes in ends) under the rack. Use self locking nuts so they don't back off. Basically you're just clamping the top case to the rack. Now the top case still moves some but not a much as it did before. Sammie likes the results plus if you want to take the top case off you still can, just unbolt the 2 nuts and remove. I never take mine off.
Simple and effective I presume. Now that I have the bike, I will look into this. I took all the cases off yesterday, thinking the bike would look righteous, but it's an Exclusive, so sitting there with just the arm rests looked pretty stupid.

Steve & Cheryl
'15 GTLE
'05 LT

post #6 of 8 Old Aug 11th, 2016, 10:55 pm

Quote:
Hey Steve, this was discussed and resolved over on the K1600 forum HERE.
katnapinn likes this.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #7 of 8 Old Aug 12th, 2016, 3:40 pm

Quote:
My remedy is to keep my LT and check in every few years to see off BMW has corrected the issues with the GTL. I rented a 2013 and just recently a UK-spec 2015 GTLE. No joy thus far. We still gone home, hop on our LT, take a ride and say "Still better."

Maybe in 2017 or 2019...

2007 K1200LT, VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator, K7MSW
post #8 of 8 Old Oct 9th, 2016, 6:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee View Post
Hey Steve, this was discussed and resolved over on the K1600 forum HERE.

That's kinda the information or Idea I was looking for,I was hoping someone just added a Thin powder coated metal or Alu. plate under the case to help support it,I have never had mine off as of yet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.