Bad gas??? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jul 8th, 2016, 8:31 am Thread Starter

Bad gas???

Hi guys. I have a K1600GTL Exclusive. I wasn't able to ride for about a year, but I kept the bike on a trickle charge and started up about every month and let it run for a few minutes. I recently started up and took it out but having a little issue. Rough idle, loses power when I roll back on the throttle a little to quick and now a check engine light. I am thinking the gas is the problem from sitting to long. I wonder if getting the old gas out and running a new tank or premium would help, maybe add something like Sea Foam or do I need a trip to the dealer???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jul 8th, 2016, 9:36 am

Garage
Re: Bad gas???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlamar4562 View Post
Hi guys. I have a K1600GTL Exclusive. I wasn't able to ride for about a year, but I kept the bike on a trickle charge and started up about every month and let it run for a few minutes. I recently started up and took it out but having a little issue. Rough idle, loses power when I roll back on the throttle a little to quick and now a check engine light. I am thinking the gas is the problem from sitting to long. I wonder if getting the old gas out and running a new tank or premium would help, maybe add something like Sea Foam or do I need a trip to the dealer???
I would start by doing that for a tank or two and see if it flushes things out. The ethanol in the gas would of absorbed water, possibly gelled and left a varnish on the injectors. If that doesn't help take it to the dealer to pull the codes and see where the issue is.
post #3 of 5 Old Jul 8th, 2016, 12:00 pm

Gas is of questionable quality after 90 days, much less than a year. The alcohol tends to separate. Yes, your problems are fuel related. I would try to remove as much of it as possible if you have not already and fill up with fresh fuel. As you suggested Sea Foam or Techron concentrate plus should be added. And, starting up the bike for a few minutes is not a good plan. Better to not start it at all if you can not go for a ride to bring up to operating temperature. The dealer might offer an injector cleaning process if needed.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

K13S & DR650 (gone through a few RT's)
R1200GS (2014)
S1000R
Mount Vernon Cannon Works

post #4 of 5 Old Jul 9th, 2016, 8:21 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply guys. Pretty much what I thought. Im going to drain the tank and run a full tank of new gas with Sea Foam and see where that gets me. Going to the dealer is a last resort, they are about 40 miles away and I would have to rent a trailer as riding would be a bad idea at this point.
post #5 of 5 Old Aug 20th, 2016, 5:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlamar4562 View Post
Thanks for the reply guys. Pretty much what I thought. Im going to drain the tank and run a full tank of new gas with Sea Foam and see where that gets me. Going to the dealer is a last resort, they are about 40 miles away and I would have to rent a trailer as riding would be a bad idea at this point.
If riding it 40 miles to a dealer is a bad idea, how do you plan to burn out that tank of fresh gas?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.