• 1 Post By sorchilla
  • 2 Post By hallzee
  • 1 Post By pkpr1998
  • 1 Post By DanDiver
  • 1 Post By rsmith
  • 1 Post By starvingdrummer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old Jan 31st, 2016, 12:01 pm Thread Starter

Who's owned both the K1200LT vs K1600GTL?

Hello all. I am a current 04 LT owner. I love the bike in spite of the known issues. I have addressed many of them. So the bike is pretty much squared away and i have all the good farkles on her. CB with intercom, 550 GPS. Motolights. She runs great and had it going on 4 years now. The only thing that happened to me,and it was thankfully near home was the final drive went. I really love the bike( The wife loves the passenger comfort) and plan on having it for a good while. My question is. I am thinking next bike could be a GTL .All of you that came from the LT and now own a GTL. What are your thoughts on comparing them? Everthing from comfort, wind ,rain protection. Passenger comfort. Ease and cost of maint and parts.Most of all Reliability. Is the 1600 less problematic? Who better to talk to than folks who have owned both. I have heard of the passenger seat on the 1600 being too sloped forward. I know the motor,suspension on the GTL are obviously better. Appreciate your thoughts.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.

Last edited by james216; Jan 31st, 2016 at 12:12 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old Jan 31st, 2016, 3:17 pm
Old Slow Guy on a Fast Bike.

Re: Who's owned both the K1200LT vs K1600GTL?

James I had 2000 K1200LT for a little over 5 years & put about 60K on it, never had any trouble at all. I've owned the K1600GTL about 4 1/2 years & have 42K on it. Mine was one of the first 50 bikes to hit the states so there were some minor problems but they have all been addressed by BMW. The 2 bikes are day & night different. The GTL does have less wind protection & less passing comfort then the LT but it all can be corrected with a better seat, better windshield plus Aero Flow Aero Wings. The GTL is a lot more fun to ride (for me), 160 BHP compared to 105 on the LT better transmission, clutch. The GTL has 6 different suspension setting & 3 throttle settings.

To find out more go to our sister site...
K1600Forum
mwnahas and Geoff c like this.

Stevie Shreeve
2012 K1600GTL
2015 KLR650
post #3 of 31 Old Jan 31st, 2016, 3:48 pm

I had an 09 LT and loved the bike, I put over 60k miles on her. I had a final drive issue that was covered under warranty. I decided to switch to the GTL, I bought a 2015 in Dec of 2014. I put 18k miles on the new bike with no problems. The biggest issue I have is the fact that it eats up tires....real, real fast....it's ridiculous. I got 3500 miles out of the OEM tires.

The second gripe is the fact that the seat is terrible, very uncomfortable, I upgraded right of the bat with a Corbin seat.

Like Steve pointed out, the bikes are very different. I like the GTL much better but I loved the LT. I live in Michigan and stretch my riding season to the max. The wind protection for both the rider and passenger was great on the LT. Not much protection on the GTL. I added the Aero wings and mini wings and that helps a lot, especially for the rider. My wife says that she still gets buffeted even with the wings but they do help her quite a bit.

I sure love all of the gadgetry that the GTL offers, it's easy to adjust the throttle settings and suspension settings among other things.

Like Stevie says check out the K1600 forum!
Geoff c likes this.

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 K1200LT (traded for GTL)
1984 Kawasaki Spectre: long gone
BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member
Saddle sore 1000 Sept 2011
Bun Burner 1500 Sept 2011

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 31 Old Jan 31st, 2016, 5:43 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I have had over 100K miles on 2 LTs which I enjoyed and now have over 100K miles on 2 K1600 GTLs. As previously stated, the GTL has slightly less protection from the elements and comfort. This is more pronounced for the pillion. But the GTL more then makes up for this in performance and handling. With a small investment in aftermarket windscreen & are flow wings you can improve the wind protection. Some find the GTL seat comfortable others don't. In my case I've had to go with aftermarket seats for both the LT and GTL. Recently, I had my bike in for service and had an LT loaner for the day. I forgot what a pig the LT can be in parking lot and realized the GTL is an all around much better machine.
Geoff c likes this.

Doug Sorchilla
La Quinta, CA
2012 K1600 GTL

Growing Old is Mandatory – Growing Up is Optional
post #5 of 31 Old Jan 31st, 2016, 6:54 pm

Yes, had the K1200 loved it. Never left me stranded. Did have to replace the shocks, clutch, main engine seal, and weld the exhaust. Put over 90K miles. Dropped her twice once on each side. Yes it has better weather protection. Better comfort? Questionable.

What I like about the K1600 is it is easier to handle. Passengers noted to me I was much more relaxed and they in turn felt more confident. I like the removable luggage. I like the control wheel to change everything from suspension, ride and GPS screen. I think it's a more fun ride, but it does long rides almost as well as the LT. I do not miss the LT. I do miss the Baehr intercom I had on it though.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #6 of 31 Old Jan 31st, 2016, 10:36 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

What everyone else has already said.

The LT is still the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden, especially two-up. Still, I needed a custom seat and an aftermarket windscreen to really dial the LT in. And then it was an amazing bike, for it's size and weight. I happily rode a '99 LT for 25K miles all over Europe and the Alps, and an '02 LT for 106K miles all over the US and parts of Canada and Mexico, all of which I remember fondly.

The GTL is pretty dämn good two up, and with a better seat and windscreen and the AeroFlow wings it comes pretty darn close to LT comfort and wind protection. And then it simply does everything else better. Less weight, much better handling, lots of comfort and safety goodies (traction control, on-the-fly adjustable suspension and ride modes, built-in GPS, iPod control & Bluetooth, auto-locking, etc.). And the power and torque, combined with a tighter, more predictable chassis, means that it can easily be ridden like a much smaller, much faster bike.

I loved touring on my LT, and definitely pushed it to its limits (including a track day and the aforementioned Alps). But after I'd been off it for a while and got back on, I immediately noticed the 800+ lb weight, like there was a large lump of 4-cylinder lead just hanging down there between my ankles. I'd gotten used to it over the years, but after riding other bikes, the limits of the LT were readily apparent.

Whereas the first time I rode a GTL I immediately thought that it rode and handled as well as my 620-lb K13GT, even though the GTL was easily carrying over 100 lbs more. Better suspension and a lower CoG coupled to massive smooth torque meant that I was actually shifting less, when riding just as hard.

That's what really sold me on the GTL, and the rest of the goodies were all just bonuses.

So really, you just need to go and take nice, long test ride on a GTL, and see for yourself if the improvements outweigh your LT nostalgia.

Ken
SoCal
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 20K miles and counting . . .
'12 Mineral Silver Metallic K16GTLD, 59K miles and gone.
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 32,690 miles & now rebuilt!
'07 Dark Graphite Metallic K12GT, 138,220 miles & now rebuilt!
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from . . .
post #7 of 31 Old Feb 1st, 2016, 9:58 am

I bought my LT in 99. Still have it. I love it so much I have turned down offers to sell even though I can't ride it. I bought a 2014 GTL with Hannigan Trike conversion. I love the bike. It is a worthy successor to the LT, but I can't get it to lean. I used to scrape center stands but this Trike just stayed upright.
post #8 of 31 Old Feb 1st, 2016, 10:58 am

I have both right now, and even a 2012 RT right before the GTL. I like riding the GTL better than the LT. My wife likes the comfort of the LT better. Actually I like riding the RT best, but my wife hated riding on it--thus the GTL. All in all, I think the GTL is the better of the three for all around comfort for both the rider and passenger. It certainly out performs the others in power, performance and amenities. I was, and am happy with them all. Funny thing is, every time I get on the LT (especially after riding the GTL for while) it am amazed at what a great riding and handling bike the LT is, and how much it was ahead of it time when it was first introduced. I would be very happy riding an LT if it weren't for being happier riding the GTL.
post #9 of 31 Old Feb 1st, 2016, 10:47 pm

I had a 2005 LT for about 7 years.

I really like the LT for long rides. Local riding, I use the scooters.

I recently acquired a 2014 GTL. I only put a few hundred miles on it.

At first, all the new options, can be quiet confusing and can be overwhelming. All the possible bluetooth configurations (order of pairing), ESA, DTC, and the list goes on. I read the manual a few times just to understand all the different configurations. I really was not comforable riding the GTL until I understood all the controls. The LT is simplier in that respect.

The GTL has significantly more power and torque

If you are vertically challenged, like myself at 5'6", you will like the GTL better as it is easier to handle and weighs much less.

You can remove the top and side bags and drop another 50 lbs.

Do I miss the LT, hell no.

I did recently discover a cool pump leak, which was supposively fixed in 2014.
post #10 of 31 Old Feb 1st, 2016, 11:55 pm

As stated above, pretty much everyone is spot on. The LT I had was 90,000+ miles of trouble free riding, all over the U.S. I rode with a group made up of other LTs, and a few Harleys, so I thought the bike could perform quite well...

I've had the GTL for two years, and have only 23K miles on it so far (wife had back surgery x2, so that has slowed us down).

I rode an LT again a few months ago, and I'd actually come to realize that the bike was very much under-powered for the size. I hate to say it, my beloved "Pepe" was a pig, but we will always remember the countless miles of fun. My wife, BTW, was a tad more comfortable on the LT.

The wind setup on the GTL is easily mitigated with Aeroflow shield, wings, and mini-wings. The OEM seat on the GTL is better than the LT's - but I did (as with every bike I've owned) get a custom seat.

The GTL is HANDS DOWN easier to maintain. Not even close. the LT was a major PITA to care for, comparatively speaking.

Some complain about the tires not lasting. The bike is heavy, with GOBS of torque, and HP. Ride her hard, and she'll eat the tires. If you tend to "cruise" more than "tuck and dive", your tires will last longer.

I live in the Sierras.... My tires don't last all that long.
mwnahas and johnbaker15 like this.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #11 of 31 Old Feb 4th, 2016, 9:55 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee View Post
As stated above, pretty much everyone is spot on. The LT I had was 90,000+ miles of trouble free riding, all over the U.S. I rode with a group made up of other LTs, and a few Harleys, so I thought the bike could perform quite well...

I've had the GTL for two years, and have only 23K miles on it so far (wife had back surgery x2, so that has slowed us down).

I rode an LT again a few months ago, and I'd actually come to realize that the bike was very much under-powered for the size. I hate to say it, my beloved "Pepe" was a pig, but we will always remember the countless miles of fun. My wife, BTW, was a tad more comfortable on the LT.

The wind setup on the GTL is easily mitigated with Aeroflow shield, wings, and mini-wings. The OEM seat on the GTL is better than the LT's - but I did (as with every bike I've owned) get a custom seat.

The GTL is HANDS DOWN easier to maintain. Not even close. the LT was a major PITA to care for, comparatively speaking.

Some complain about the tires not lasting. The bike is heavy, with GOBS of torque, and HP. Ride her hard, and she'll eat the tires. If you tend to "cruise" more than "tuck and dive", your tires will last longer.

I live in the Sierras.... My tires don't last all that long.
What about the non servicable user items on the GTL? It does have more than the LT. Thats what concerns me.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #12 of 31 Old Feb 5th, 2016, 6:38 am

Ditto on what everyone else is saying; had the LT for 10 years and loved it; but I LOVE my GTL!!!!!

You won't go wrong buying a GTL; like Steve said go to the GTL Forum
DanDiver likes this.

Brett
2003 LTC Sold 2013
2013 GTL
North Georgia
2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #13 of 31 Old Feb 6th, 2016, 9:20 am Thread Starter

Well. As i said. Most likely next bike will be a K1600. I wanted to do the research and ask questions of owners. Because i do most of my own maintainence i had to see about reliability and ease of maintenance and parts. Comfort. Etc...etc. The wife really loves the LT.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #14 of 31 Old Feb 6th, 2016, 10:32 am

Same as above and I'll add that as far as reliability goes, there is no comparison to the LT. The FD of the LT had issues and it seems that many sat on the sidelines waiting for it to show it's ugly head on the K1600. Maybe a very tiny few did have problems, but in comparison to the LT, it was almost a non issue.

BMW did their homework on the K1600. The mods that I did on my LT were incorporated into the K1600. What I didn't like about my LT was not on the K1600. Less weight, lower center of gravity, better lighting, shorter turning radius, etc.... The few minor service issues of the water pump and switches were taken care of with little fanfare.

My GTL, #385 off of the boat, is approaching 4 1/2 years and she just gets better and better every day.
pkpr1998 likes this.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #15 of 31 Old Feb 6th, 2016, 7:37 pm

Owned a 2009 LT for 9 months. It was not comfortable for me. Had 08 RT, 08 Street Glide, and 06 Ultra classic at same time. I just never liked the LT. No problems, just never liked it. Still have HD bikes, but in the BMW dealer for a recall for the RT. Rode a used GTL and that was it, THE bike.
pkpr1998 likes this.
post #16 of 31 Old Feb 9th, 2016, 11:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by james216 View Post
What about the non servicable user items on the GTL? It does have more than the LT. Thats what concerns me.
Not sure what you mean... You can do anything on the GT/L that you want, and it's easier to work on than the LT - except for the valve check, and spark plug replacement. Those two items are more of a challenge because there are 50% more of them than the LT, and the location requires some special tools.

I had the dealer do my 18k valve check, and spark plug change. Cost me $631.00 (including coolant - they have to drain the system to get to valves). The labor portion was $400.

After the initial 18k valve check, it's once every 24k miles.

Couple notes: The K16 spark plugs are $21 each! Also, the parts costs included a valve cover gasket ($80), that the dealer will insist on. I've heard guys say that hey saved their old one when they did their own valves.

The only other "non-user serviceable" item would be the service light reset, and reading/clearing fault codes. Just get a GS-911 wifi, and you're set! I got one, because the stealer wanted to charge me $45 a pop just to reset my service light.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #17 of 31 Old Feb 12th, 2016, 4:35 pm Thread Starter

Ok. Good indo. Thanks

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #18 of 31 Old Feb 24th, 2016, 4:00 pm

I had a 2000 LT, traded it in for a 2008 LT. I put many miles in 12 years on those 2 bikes. They were nearly flawless and I loved every mile. Then in 2012 I got a new GTL. In 2015 I bought my second GTL. The BMW rep told me that I'd quickly forget my LT's...and he was right. I've never looked back - although my wife to this day prefers the LT to the GTL (as a passenger). The GTL is as good, as the LT was when I first started riding it. Now, the GTL is one of the oldest bikes in the BMW lineup. Can't wait to see what updated version they have rolling out next...
james216 likes this.
post #19 of 31 Old Mar 11th, 2016, 11:30 pm

Had two LT's 2002 and 2009 and currently on a 2014 GTLE. I love the 1600 the power band is incredible. That said the LT is still the most comfortable bike I've ever owned. That goes for rider and passenger.
post #20 of 31 Old May 1st, 2016, 5:44 am

I have a 2000 K1200LT which we have owned since 2008. It has been a great ride except for a final drive failure at 30,000 miles and a couple of exhaust crush washers burning out and making the sound loud. Both of these little happenings took place on the same trip coming home from a 2500 mile trip out west. When we camp, we pull our little Aluma trailer with the LT. Excellent wind and rain protection. We have loved the bike since we brought it home. It is a hand-full when stopped especially with a passenger and me pushing 70 years old.
We decided to take a GTL for a ride to see if there were any differences in the two bikes. Night and day. The GTL is lighter feeling, easier to maneuver in tight quarters, better balanced, faster, and a whole lot of other things. We liked the GTL and so while I can still get my leg over the seat, we might as well go for it. Still have the LT but it is for sale. The GTL is our new bike and we never looked back. The LT was great but the GTL is greater and lots more fun.
post #21 of 31 Old May 15th, 2016, 7:38 pm

Have an "09" LT with 56k on it..

Just took a GTL for a ride and while I love the drivetrain I was not impressed with the comfort..

Not enough leg room, (I am 6 ft 1 and 205 lbs).

The cableless throttle was very hard to get used to!

The power was impressive and yes, I did play with the suspension as well. Very nice to be able to change it on the fly.

The pop out vents on each side were very nice in low speed to get more air on me. Once I got on the highway I closed them and though the wind protection was fine..

The lack of a wired intercom and having to get new intercoms for the helmets was a disappointment.

Oh yeah, and my Garmin 665 won't fit the mount.. Have to get a new GPS also..

And don't forget that 30k dollar price tag too!

Overall I liked the bike but just too many things "wrong" for me at this time..

Why am I here and what day is it??
post #22 of 31 Old May 15th, 2016, 8:41 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I have an '07 LT with 46,000 miles on it (27,000 are mine), fully farkeled (RDL seat, PIAAs, Garmin 590LM, Yacugar shocks, Speigler brake lines, Jiffy Tite quick disconnects, fuse block, etc.). The stock seat was ok, but made me squirm after about 45 minutes in the saddle, so I had Russell do their magic and it has been great for long distant trips to the '14 & '15 CCRs. Weather protection is great, and the only thing that has gotten wet on me are my gloves during hard rains.

During my solo ride (sans pillion) up to Idaho ('15 CCR) with another couple that have a K1600GT, I found the LT was underpowered in comparison to the more heavily laden, two-up K1600. When passing on two lane roads, the other couple easily accelerated around slower traffic in smaller openings. They had to periodically wait for me to catch up on the LT as it didn't have sufficient punch to make it safely through smaller openings like the 1600.

My LT is now for sale (see Classifieds in this forum) and I should be taking delivery this week on a '16 K1600GTLE - as of yesterday, my dealer was on step 17 of 45 in the assembly process. Good luck on your decision!

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #23 of 31 Old May 15th, 2016, 8:54 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW003 View Post

During my solo ride (sans pillion) up to Idaho ('15 CCR) with another couple that have a K1600GT, I found the LT was underpowered in comparison to the more heavily laden, two-up K1600. When passing on two lane roads, the other couple easily accelerated around slower traffic in smaller openings. They had to periodically wait for me to catch up on the LT as it didn't have sufficient punch to make it safely through smaller openings like the 1600.
The final drive gear ratio in your LT is 2.62. I use 2.91 to 3.36 gear ratio's in my LT's & can keep up with the K1600's up to about 100 mph. After that they leave me in their dust. I do have to shift much more often than they do. So far I like the 3.09 gear ratio as an all around gear for my LT's.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #24 of 31 Old May 20th, 2016, 12:18 pm

If 2 up comfort is primary, I would stay with the 1200LT. Maybe upgrade to the newest year and lowest miles (hydraulic center stand!)!

If you want 1 up ultimate driving performance then it's the 1600GTL.

Larry
post #25 of 31 Old Jul 5th, 2016, 10:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by james216 View Post
Hello all. I am a current 04 LT owner. I love the bike in spite of the known issues. I have addressed many of them. So the bike is pretty much squared away and i have all the good farkles on her. CB with intercom, 550 GPS. Motolights. She runs great and had it going on 4 years now. The only thing that happened to me,and it was thankfully near home was the final drive went. I really love the bike( The wife loves the passenger comfort) and plan on having it for a good while. My question is. I am thinking next bike could be a GTL .All of you that came from the LT and now own a GTL. What are your thoughts on comparing them? Everthing from comfort, wind ,rain protection. Passenger comfort. Ease and cost of maint and parts.Most of all Reliability. Is the 1600 less problematic? Who better to talk to than folks who have owned both. I have heard of the passenger seat on the 1600 being too sloped forward. I know the motor,suspension on the GTL are obviously better. Appreciate your thoughts.
GTL = Massive power. A little more wind, little less seat, Bluetooth quirky, no problems.

LT = No power. Best comfort, never ending problems.

Not much of a decision if you have the money.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

In the last 2 years...
'08 R1200GS---Loved it!!!
'01 H-D Ultra Classic---Hated it!!! (aka. the infernal noise making machine)
'02 K1200LT(black)---Even my GF is jealous of this one.
post #26 of 31 Old Nov 16th, 2016, 12:34 pm

Perfect thread for me as I may have an opportunity to purchase a K16GT in the near future. It appears, with minor exceptions, that LT owners that made the switch to the K16 have no regrets. However, there are a couple things I haven't read in the thread:

1) How is the GT seat height as compared to the LT? I'm a 32" inseam and can't flat foot the LT. I have a Russel Day Long on the LT and the GT I'm considering also has a RDL.

2) Is the GT top heavy like the LT? How is the GT's parking lot speed handling? In three years of LT ownership, I have not grown accustomed to the LT top heaviness or its slow speed handling characteristic.

Thanks guys.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
post #27 of 31 Old Nov 17th, 2016, 9:10 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun Bobby View Post
Perfect thread for me as I may have an opportunity to purchase a K16GT in the near future. It appears, with minor exceptions, that LT owners that made the switch to the K16 have no regrets. However, there are a couple things I haven't read in the thread:

1) How is the GT seat height as compared to the LT? I'm a 32" inseam and can't flat foot the LT. I have a Russel Day Long on the LT and the GT I'm considering also has a RDL.

2) Is the GT top heavy like the LT? How is the GT's parking lot speed handling? In three years of LT ownership, I have not grown accustomed to the LT top heaviness or its slow speed handling characteristic.

Thanks guys.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
Hi Rob,

Although I have a GTLE instead of the GT, I've ridden both.

(1) The stock GT seat is supposed to be higher than the GTL. I couldn't take the stock GTLE seat, so did a ride-in appointment last month and had Russell do their magic. I have a 31 in inseam and could easily flat-foot the stock GTLE seat, but didn't like the windscreen as it was too high and remembered liking the windscreen height on the loaner GT I had ridden. After getting the RDL, I can still almost flat-foot it if I slide forward at a stop, and don't think I'll need to replace the windscreen as it is now comparable to the GT I liked, since the seat puts you in a higher riding position. Also, with the RDL, it's a more comfortable riding position, as I felt the stock position was too scrunched down for my legs.

(2) The GT and GTL/GTLE are nowhere near as top heavy as my '07 LT was. The GT, GTL, and GTLE are much easier to turn and I feel very comfortable using the friction zone on the clutch, as it is wet, instead of the LT's dry clutch. Although a lot of guys complain about hitting the front brake in a low speed turn on the LT (and even the K1600s), I never had a problem, but the LT was much touchier due to it's top heaviness.

Good luck on your decision, but if you do get a K1600, be careful, as it is too, too easy to get up to speed...

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #28 of 31 Old Nov 18th, 2016, 10:51 am

I'm 6'2" 240. Gf is 5' 100. We live in hot/humid Houston. Never owned a sport bike, but like fast/aggressive (within my ability hopefully) riding. Been to Keith Code Superbike School and Ride Like a Pro. Signature shows the other bikes I've owned. Bottom line, I loved the LT. I love the GTL. I would have been perfectly happy with the LT if I had never ridden the GTL. It's like when I was travelling a lot for work, I finally got to the point where I got upgraded to first class and from then on I knew what I was missing.

2007 LT
put about 8k miles on it (from 12k to 20k).
Corbin seat
Lowered pegs.
Hyperpro springs
Did a couple 2500 mile trips on it with girlfriend.
Really, really liked the bike.

2014 GTL
Stock (high?) seat
Aeroflow windshield with both additional deflectors
Probably needs a custom/raised seating position.
Put 12k on it so far (bought used at 6k)
Never thought in a million years I'd pay over $20k for a motorcycle! Don't regret it one bit.
Giant sport bike built for two.

LT Pros
Extremely comfortable for both rider and passenger
Great wind protection for both rider and passenger
Reverse on the LT (didn't use it that often, but when I needed it I was really glad to have it)
Great all around bike

GTL Pros
Better looking than LT
Acceleration
Lighter than LT (don't need reverse or electric centerstand)
Quicker/faster than LT
Easier (for me) to handle through the corners than the LT
Acceleration
Easier slow speed maneuvering
Wind flap thingies in the front fairing
Electronically adjustable suspension
Electronically adjustable riding modes (although i'm in dynamic 99% of the time)
Acceleration
Good wind protection for rider
Exciting bike

LT Cons
Heavy
Slow speed maneuvering + rear brakes linked to front
Heavy
(After riding a GTL) not quick/fast enough <--- DON'T ride a GTL!!!
Heavy
Stock suspension is unsuitable for me. Had to upgrade.

GTL Cons
Passenger wind protection (even with aeroflow windshield and both additional deflectors).
GF loves the acceleration/handling, but not the additional wind. Also, I think she gets buffeted worse than LT, but won't complain because she doesn't want to bum me out.
Lurchy/harder to control smooth deceleration

Chris W

Current
'14 K1600 GTL

Previous
'09 HD Fat Bob
'07 K1200 LT (gf misses it)

'01 Triumph Sprint ST
'79 Suzuki GS1100E

Last edited by cwarren; Nov 18th, 2016 at 10:56 am.
post #29 of 31 Old Nov 18th, 2016, 2:41 pm

Thanks Dave, thanks Chris. From my reading and your reports, the K1600 advantages definitely make it a more desirable bike then the K1200LT (unless you ride with a passenger). If I am presented a reasonable selling price, I am definitely leaning towards adding a GT to my garage. Thankfully the owner is selling the Valentine radar detector with it as it sounds like it may be a useful accessory with the K16.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
post #30 of 31 Old Nov 20th, 2016, 9:20 am

[QUOTE= Thankfully the owner is selling the Valentine radar detector with it as it sounds like it may be a useful accessory with the K16.

[/QUOTE]

I would not count on it...... Most of the time it's giving you historical information :-)

After about 4 years on my 2012 and 30K miles, I don't regret for a second trading my LT for a GTL. It still makes me smile and the ride is still getting better and better.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #31 of 31 Old Nov 20th, 2016, 11:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver View Post
I would not count on it...... Most of the time it's giving you historical information :-)
After about 4 years on my 2012 and 30K miles, I don't regret for a second trading my LT for a GTL. It still makes me smile and the ride is still getting better and better.
As a past LT owner for 75,000 miles, I have to concur 100% with Dan!

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.