Harley Cvo Ultra owner looking at a k1600gtl exclusive - Page 2 - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 56 Old Dec 4th, 2016, 10:01 pm

Re: Harley Cvo Ultra owner looking at a k1600gtl exclusive

I don't mean to hijack the thread but I've made 5 attempts to create a new thread and failed each time.

The other day I mentioned to my youngest daughter that I was planning to visit her sister in southern CA. (I'm is WA) She wants to ride with me. This is a dream ride for me. I've ridden many tens of thousands of miles alone and to have my daughter experience a longish ride is beyond cool.

I've got an r1200gs I'm going to trade. I put a boatload of miles on an RT and really like the bike. A GTL is also a consideration.

Any advice or input on which bike to get is greatly appreciated.

Bob

2011 RT

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music."

--Aldous Huxley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 56 Old Dec 5th, 2016, 2:11 am
Lifetime Supporter

I had an '07 LT, and rode the K1600 GT and GTLs and a water-cooled R1200RT. Of the 3, I liked the GT windshield, the GTL for power and smoothness, and the RT the least, as it seemed too small and buzzy for me after the LT. I ended up getting a GTLE, and after having Russell re-do the stock seat, actually like the GTLE windshield as much as I had liked the GT version, as the RDL raised the sitting position to make it comparable to the GT.

If cost is a factor in your decision, I would also consider an LT, as they arguably can offer the ultimate in pillion comfort. The GTL/GTLE pillion sits higher, which others have stated is less comfortable in comparison to the LT.

However, if you lust for power, go with the K1600 (any version)... The new RT's are also quick. I would test ride all of them before making a decision, as you are the one living with your choice.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #53 of 56 Old Dec 5th, 2016, 5:09 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone-rider View Post
Hi;

I have been riding a Harley since 1987 and Ultras since 1990. I have been thinking about getting a bmw k1600gtl exclusive. Any other harley owners who have already switched and your thoughts.

Also I have seen that the rear tire will last only 5.000 miles, on my CVO I get 10.000 to 12.000 out of rear tire.

We do a lot of two up long distance runs.
I made the same move in 2013... from an Ultra Limited to a K1600gtl, the best comparison, it is like getting off a tractor and into a Cadillac!!!!

Last edited by biker01red; Dec 5th, 2016 at 5:55 am.

post #54 of 56 Old Dec 5th, 2016, 6:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzzmusician View Post
I don't mean to hijack the thread but I've made 5 attempts to create a new thread and failed each time.
Any advice or input on which bike to get is greatly appreciated.
Sorry you could not figure out how to start a new post.
The GTL is the ultimate in ride comfort if you tweak it some (windshield, throttle protectors(?), etc.)). Also from what I have read, the GTL may be a little more dealer involved maintenance than the RT, but that would depend on your mechanic skills. The newer RT's are great right out of the "box" and require less (or I should say, easier to perform) maintenance, moves less air (buffeting) to the passenger, provides better wind/rain protection, and is a couple of hundred pounds lighter.
I would assume it would depend on your budget, but both bikes will put a large grin on your face and your passenger would be happy on either.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #55 of 56 Old Dec 31st, 2016, 7:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone-rider View Post
Hi;

I have been riding a Harley since 1987 and Ultras since 1990. I have been thinking about getting a bmw k1600gtl exclusive. Any other harley owners who have already switched and your thoughts.

Also I have seen that the rear tire will last only 5.000 miles, on my CVO I get 10.000 to 12.000 out of rear tire.

We do a lot of two up long distance runs.

A four years ago a good friend of mine, long time HD owner, purchased a Ultra with all the bells and whistles that cost him somewhere a bit north of $30K. He and his group ride to Tennessee and North Carolina annually. I had occasion to chat with him on his return and he was not happy with the lack of performance and heat. Upgrades applied Stage 1, Stage 2, Stage whatever else spending another $6k . Two more trips and the same issues, lack of performance, etc.

I was at his office after that third trip on my RT, and we got into the usual discussion of how badly he hated the Ultra, etc... Our local BMW shop happened to have a K16GTL that they had designated a demo bike, so I suggested that he bring his riding gear the next day and we would go riding and he could see what the BMW was compared to the Ultra.

On the appointed morning, we met at the dealership, I briefed him on the controls, and off we went over to my local twistie road, LA-22 between I-10 and Slringfield, Louisiana. I was leading and had the cruise set a 60 and was watching him ride the GTL, and he was handling the tight turns quite well and pacing me nicely.

We stopped at Springfield to get some gas in my bike and get some water before starting back. He pulled up next to me with the biggest grin on his face. His first comment was that he was riding along and was trying to figure out what he was missing. Then he said it it him : no noise, no wind buffeting, and he could actually hear the radio running at speed. Then he noted that in the tight turns (several tight 90 degree corners) "nothing scraped, and the brakes are really amazing !!" . Since he was sitting next to me at that point with the engine running, his next comment was "you know, there is no shaking or heat either. Wow!" The grin got wider .

We got re-hydrated and looped back to the shop via LA-42 and doing a debrief of the ride, he mentioned he was going to sell the Harley and order a GTL Exclusive, which he did within the next month. He has been on his trips with the group several more times, and they usually switch bikes occasionally. The result of this is that several more HD folks have come into the light. One on a 1200GS, and another on a RTWC. My friend pointed out to them that at the end of the nonstop ride from Baton Rouge up to their Tennessee destination, he was the only one who did not need to immediately go to bed or help in getting off the bikes.

Roll forward to today: My friend is thinking seriously of getting a GS or RTLC to go with the GTL. He is considering triking the GTL (Yikes !!!) to be able to take his wife and grandkids riding and having some extra luggage space. Needless to say he is a definite convert to the BMW.

As noted above the boxer BMW's (1200 GS, 1200RTLC, etc) are much easier to work on for most people. The K16 is a complicated beast that should really be maintained by a dealership as they have the special tools and computer software to be able diagnose and service the bike. I love my 2011RT and have no plans to ever replace it because it is set up perfectly for the riding I do.

Either bike will be a fine choice. Good Luck.

Doug Stracener
2011 RT polar metallic
Attorney,
MSF #127350,
Instructor, Motorcycle Safety Program Louisiana Department of Public Safety
NAUI Scuba Instructor #36288
Divers Alert Network Board member
post #56 of 56 Old Jan 21st, 2017, 8:59 pm

HI IM ON MY 2ND GTLE FRIST ONE I PUT 22K ON IT ,NO PROBLEMS I TRADED A 2012 GOLDWING ON IT . THE BMW IS MORE OF A SPORT BIKE WITH BAGS ITS FASTER THAN ANY HARLEY ,OUT HANDLES ANY ONE OF THEM,IT SEEMS ONCE YOU GET ON A BMW YOU CANT STOP SMILEING,
KEMPES likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.