BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Windshield Crack - Overtightening - Caution

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  petepeterson 
#1 · (Edited)
Just a heads up for anyone else to be aware of so they do not make the same mistake. I thought that I just snugged the bolts.

I installed the HIQ lighting from CQ. The install went well (or so I thought). After putting everything together I plexus(ed) the windshield and everything looked great. I was a couple of hours into the ride when I noticed a vibration noise from the windshield. The attached pic is what I found. The windshield is in great condition other than this and I spent some time searching around to see if I could fix it vs the cost of replacing it.
I found this website and went to their tech guys to see what they could recommend if anything short of replacement.

Below is what they sent to me within an hour of my sending an email. If this stuff works as good as their customer support I will be thrilled. Here is the response I got from them:

Clear PolyCarbonate Windshield

Your right, the cracks are definitely from over-tightening. Here's a tip from a fellow who owns a few aircraft and has had to deal with this same issue...and you think motorcycle windshields are expensive!!! First, get a Plexiglas drill bit about 1/16" to 3/23" dia. and drill a stop hole at the end of each crack. Then if you want the strongest repair, you'll need to v-groove the crack and fill it with clear PlastiFix. Let it cure, then sand and polish out the area. It will not be invisible, but it won't look terrible and it will be very strong. OR stop drill them, then use some thin InstaWeld on each crack, work it back and forth SLIGHTLY, but not enough to crack it more, to get the InstaWeld to wick into the crack. IT will not be nearly as strong as PlastiFix, but it should hold. The big danger with InstaWeld is that a drip will run down the plastic and make a big ugly mark.

After all the gluing, radius the screw holes slightly, so they don't have sharp edges and use a plastic washer between the screws and the Plexi. This allows for some movement and will help prevent future cracking! *(Aircraft guy tip - it works!)

Oh, and just make them snug, not tight!

Sincerely,
Scott Bixler
Product Development Manager
800-633-3047

Urethane Supply Company
1128 Kirk Rd
Rainsville, AL 35986-6038 USA
tel: 256-638-4103
fax: 256-638-8490

Has anyone used this before?

I have decided to go with the first option and will post some pics when I have finished....It will take a few days to get here .....consider it a warning!!!
I think the plastic washers are not an option xince the metal retainer strap needs to be seated so close to the windshield

-Bob

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.