BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Top Case Mirror Repair

5K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  jkriner 
#1 ·
I broke one side of the mirror in my top case the other day trying to open it without being able to get the lid up all the way. I broke one of the plastic pins off at the corner where they swivel. I didn't want to do the piano hinge thing again so I found the piece that broke off. I took the small pin and drilled a hole through it and then drilled a small hole through the part on the mirror. I found a small piece of bailing wire and ground one end down and slid it into the mirror part I had drilled. It fit snug. I then took the small plastic piece the broke off and slid it onto the wire and clipped off the wire that was sticking out. I put it back into the hinge partof the cover and reinstalled it. Worked like a charm................ :D

#3 ·
If you want a replacement, I have one in hand. PM your address & pay for shipping.......No need to FIXEEE...just REPLACEEE.......

#4 ·
Cochinosucio said:
If you want a replacement, I have one in hand. PM your address & pay for shipping.......No need to FIXEEE...just REPLACEEE.......
If He doe not want it, ai would take it. Plenty of stud to trade for it f you do not want cash.

Call me.

#6 ·
Newport said:
I drilled out the rest of the broken plastic pin on both sides and inserted a metal pin on both sides and no troubles since. Of course the stupid thing still falls open every time I ride.
:worthless:

#8 ·
I'd have to take it apart again to take a pic and there's really nothing to see. I just drilled through the center of the broken off part and the part it broke off of and then slid a piece of wire through the hole. I had to trim the ends off because there's only enough room for the original pin. It's a simple fix.

#9 ·
Same problem here! Left side has broken off. I'll repair and get pics!

#11 ·
Nice!

#13 ·
Newport said:
For those who might be interested here is my repair with steel pins inserted. It works just fine.
Where'd you get the steel rod? Looks like it's got a thinner OD going into the plastic base; been looking for something, to no avail! :(

#14 ·
I used a piece of bailing wire. You could use part of a small welding rod or anything that is fairly soft so you can cut it with ***** or pliers............ :)

#15 ·
I want to know what you are using the mirror for?

I took mine out of the bike a few years ago.

Maybe I am not "vain" enough to want to look at myself in the mirror after I ride.

I sure know that I am ugly enough to break that mirror just by looking in it :)

:b2topic:

#17 ·
I don't really use the mirror but I do sometimes store small things in the cubby hole behind it. Plus I just couldn't stand the thought that it was broken. I had to fix it. Now that it's fixed, I feel better..................... :dance:

#20 ·
I fooled around and broke the other side as well. It seems it's gonna happen if you try to store your full face and jacket at the same time. It's not so much that I use the mirror but it's there and it should work................ :brick:

#21 ·

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.