LT Radio Repair Options - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Newf
  • 1 Post By Tricky_dickey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old May 18th, 2012, 10:14 am Thread Starter

LT Radio Repair Options

Howdy!
I took out the OEM radio the other day and was planning to install the Jensen. Fortunately, before I took that plunge and began cutting up my stingray and rendering my wiring harness unuseable, I spoke with Jerry at Bentonville BMW who said there are places that can repair your radio rather than purchasing a new OEM one or going the Jensen route.

I'm just checking to see if any of y'all had any luck with either of these two companies for your radio repair:

Radio Man Repair in San Diego from the older forum posts indicated it was only $138 for the repairs, but no follow-up notes on their success, warranty, or satisfaction.

or

Becker Autosound.com who quoted me $300 for full repair plus the installation of an aux plug in the face of the unit (1 year warranty of unit after repairs).

I, along with many others I'm sure, would appreciate any insights of folks who have had success (or failure) in either of these two options.

Thanks!
Kenny

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

2004 Desert Tan M2A3 (Jul 2005 - Apr 2008)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old May 18th, 2012, 10:33 am

Re: LT Radio Repair Options

I used Becker for my radio/CD repair. It wasn't $300.00 though. The cost is $400.00 for the basic repair (mother board I think) and another $50.00 for locating the AUX port to the front of the radio/CD player. The turn around time was about a week and a half. I have only had a week on the repair, but I rode out to LBB and back to Kennedale (10 hours) this week and it performed flawlessly. I have a 2005lt. I started loosing the speakers 1 at a time. Disconnecting the battery for a few hours didn't help. I hope this helps. Its expensive, but you get to keep all the OEM controls. I satisfied.

Bo.
Kennedale, TX.

1995 MuZ Skorpion
2001 BMW R1100S
2005 BMW K1200LT
post #3 of 13 Old May 18th, 2012, 5:08 pm

Becker did my radio repair for $250 and it works fine now.

post #4 of 13 Old May 19th, 2012, 7:26 pm

Garage

You can add satellite a radio and a bluetooth headset for less then that.

Cheaper, quicker and better sound!

Just sayin...

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #5 of 13 Old Aug 6th, 2012, 5:09 am

I do repairs and sound upgrade on these units. Radio repair found

2001 M5

2003 M3

post #6 of 13 Old May 22nd, 2016, 9:27 pm

Garage

I offer radio repair too, I'm, located in Florida for riders who prefer to not ship overseas.
post #7 of 13 Old May 23rd, 2016, 9:45 am

I have a friend that used Becker and he is happy with the results.
post #8 of 13 Old May 2nd, 2017, 7:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischenusa View Post
I offer radio repair too, I'm, located in Florida for riders who prefer to not ship overseas.
I had my Radio repaired by Chris and it works great.
Fast turn around time
Shipping to Canada using the post office which help keep cost down.

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

Need to stay awake

post #9 of 13 Old May 3rd, 2017, 12:54 pm

I sent mine to Baris in the UK. He upgrades the amps to 40 watts and a aux plug on the front. It sounds great.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.

Last edited by james216; May 3rd, 2017 at 12:56 pm. Reason: Add content
post #10 of 13 Old May 3rd, 2017, 3:53 pm

Quote:
I used Chris and was very happy with the cost time and job
his price includes the shipping back when i did it in 2016
chrischenusa likes this.
post #11 of 13 Old May 3rd, 2017, 11:22 pm

Garage

Quote:
Chris - I have a 2001 K bike with the factory cassette. Are you able to add an aux port and bluetooth capabilities to this unit? Radio/cassette/CD work perfectly. Would just like to get it be more user friendly. And ballpark on the pricing?

Thanks!
post #12 of 13 Old May 17th, 2017, 4:00 pm

I'm not sure if my issue is the same as others... All of my speakers work.. the only thing that doesn't is lowering the volume. It will go up,.. but not down. The issue is the same from the front or the passenger volume controls. I can mute,.. I can listen to CDs etc but,.. to reset the volume to its initial lower volume,.. I have to turn the bike off then back on.

Bill Miranda
'03 K1200LTC, '02 VTX1800
'06 BMW M3, '00 911 Cabrio
'07 Land Cruiser, 99 SAAB 9.5T
'01 E320 Wagon, '55 Packard Patrician
Member: lots of clubs/groups.
Willing to help peeps in area.
post #13 of 13 Old May 17th, 2017, 8:46 pm

Baris at carphonics can add aux outputs. Either 3.5 or bluetooth. He can also add RCA outputs. As far as repairs. For the same $$$ as Becker. He uses better amplifiers. But he is in the UK. I got my unit back in about 8/10 days. I got a 3.5 aux Jack I run Sirius xm and mp3 through.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.