BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Swap 2005 engine to 2002 K1200LT?

6K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  deputy5211 
#1 ·
My 2002 K1200LT engine has given up the ghost. Still runs but has a loud knock...to my ears, sounds like the main bearing(s) failure. Need to decide whether to repair or replace.

Is it possible to install a 2005 engine (including clutch and trannny) on an early 2002 bike? I would need to use the 2002 wiring harness, carbs, motro unit etc. The 2005 engine has the ignition system but not much else.

I'm not after the increased performance of the 2005...I just have a source for a really good deal and am willing to make a couple sacrifices if the engine and tranny can work.

#2 ·
I'm certain that others will correct me, but the GB is the same. clutch is the same, engine is essentially the same as well. I would suspect that the EDU will have to be changed. different maping and what not..

john_loucks said:
My 2002 K1200LT engine has given up the ghost. Still runs but has a loud knock...to my ears, sounds like the main bearing(s) failure. Need to decide whether to repair or replace.

Is it possible to install a 2005 engine (including clutch and trannny) on an early 2002 bike? I would need to use the 2002 wiring harness, carbs, motro unit etc. The 2005 engine has the ignition system but not much else.

I'm not after the increased performance of the 2005...I just have a source for a really good deal and am willing to make a couple sacrifices if the engine and tranny can work.

#3 ·
Are you sure what you're hearing is a rod knock? The alternator is notorious for making sounds very similar to a rod knocking. If you have any aux lights, or anything that takes a lot of current, try turning it on & off while the engine is running to see if it makes any difference in the sound. If it does, it is just the alternator, & no big thing on the LT.

If you do decide to go ahead with the engine swap I am sure there are others here who will chime in with any precautions, like the fuel mapping already mentioned.

Good Luck!

John

#4 ·
john_loucks said:

Hi John,

You don't mention much about the symptoms and before you rush into anything make sure you get your bike thoroughly checked out. What John (Alaskafish) said about the Alternator drive noise is true. Is your noise at idle? Does it sound like a tin can of rocks rattling near the rear of the engine? This might be that noise. Are you experiencing a lot of unusual vibration?

As far as the 2005 engine is concerned here are the differences:
  1. increased fuel delivery through different injectors, ECM (fuel management computer) and 2mm larger diameter intake spigots (no carbs to worry about).
  2. the two camshafts have different profiles from the 2002 and would not be compatible with '02 fuel delivery system
  3. The pistons are higher compression and would most likely be ok with the '02 fuel delivery system.
What is similar between the two engines, etc.:
  1. The block and cylinder head are the same
  2. The ignition appears the same (same part numbers are sold for all)
  3. The clutch, clutch slave cylinder and transmission are the same
  4. the starter and alternator are the same and interchangeable
Is it possible? Yes, with modifications. Change the cams over with the intake spigots and bolt it up. The increased compression will not likely be too noticeable, but that is an assumption on my part. In the old days we would increase compression by changing to HC pistons or milling the head (or a combo of each) and then check for valve clearance issues. Then we would "jet" the carburetor(s) according to the color of the spark plugs. This is not easily achievable with electronic fuel injection systems.

Good luck with your venture and welcome to the BMW luxury Touring Community. If there is anything I can help you with drop me a PM.

#5 ·
I think the clutch slave cylinder push rod bearing is an improved design after 2004 and all new spares are this upgraded design, so that's a very small difference. As for the engine problem, be absolutely certain you have a basket case before jumping in. The crankshaft can be removed from the engine with the engine still in the frame, so mains and big end bearings, and piston rings etc can all be replaced without too much trouble. The crankshaft is also re-grindeable in the K12 engines. Not so for the earlier K11's and K100's as those were hard chromed and ground. My advice - get some real good advice first. Dennis.

#6 ·
K100Dennis said:
I think the clutch slave cylinder push rod bearing is an improved design after 2004 and all new spares are this upgraded design, so that's a very small difference.
I don't know about "Down Under" but the clutch slave and push rod/felt haven't changed from 2002 through 2009. I still have my original parts changed out with the "weep-hole" procedure in 2004 and recently compared them to brand new. Same.

#7 ·
Thanks all for the thoughtful replies.

Here is more detail on the bike. I am a proud owner of a R1150RT that has long lusted for an LT. Recently found a salvage bike that looked good in the pictures and picked it up for a good deal. When delivered, the right crankcase cover had been smashed (concealed in the pictures, of course) in the crash that totaled the bike. It was obvious small bits of the crankcase cover had fallen into the engine. No marking on the crank, rods or anything. Full of oil. I was optimistic I could clean it out and it'd be fine.

I removed and replaced the cover, dropped the pan and thoroughly cleaned the inside. Ran two oil changes through (without running the bike) and noticed some aluminum bits. Once it all looked clean, I fired it up. Two or three starter revs and it started right up! Only problem, mechanical clicking sound...thought valve...then guessed it was on the bottom, cyl 4, rod noise. After three times removing and cleaning valve cover, crankcase cover and bottom but still having the noise, I removed the rod bushings. They show some wear...the white casing was mostly stripped...but the engine has 40k on it so I'd suspect some wear is normal. No gouges or anything.

Which brings me to the dilemma. Cut my losses and resale as salvage (but I've bought mirrors, seat, battery, etc etc). Take it to a dealer for diagnosis/estimate (probably $150 to walk in the door. Rebuild by dealer would be out of my budget) or I found a complete 2005 engine, with ignition system, injectors, tranny plus for only $450 from a reputable salvage dealer (reputable salvage dealer...isn't that an oxymoron? But it comes with a warranty).

I don't possess the skills to rebuild the whole engine...removing the timing belt and cams would probably result in the engine never running again! I can, however, follow a Chiltons and bolt stuff together. I have access to hydraulic lifts and equipment necessary for an engine swap.

What would you do? Fix, replace or junk?

#8 ·
You are in a pretty good location to get some help from a decent selection of wrenchers
in the Houston and Hill country area.
Get someone else to listen to it. LT's are noisy. I keep the tunes cranked up.

I would probably look at doing the bearings if they are cheap enough.

I have been thinking about getting one of those '05 engines I keep seeing on fleabay
for $450 and just stashing it in the corner until I need it.

I could come by Sunday afternoon if you like.

Dan Martin
Houston

#9 ·
Soooo..... What was the diagnosis, and what was the outcome?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.