SMOKE at start-up on side stand, NO smoke parked on center stand ! - mind-bender ??? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 12:38 am

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
SMOKE at start-up on side stand, NO smoke parked on center stand ! - mind-bender ???

hear is a mind-bender

after the K1200 LT (2000 35k miles) bike sits on its side stand - tilted - it smokes at start=up pretty good - would fill the garage

and there is NO SMOKE when parked a long time on the CENTER STAND ... what is going on here

any ideas - please email me at pls10@hotmail.com

thanks for your time

;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 5th, 2011, 1:25 am

Re: SMOKE at start-up on side stand, NO smoke parked on center stand ! - mind-bender ???

When on the side stand, It's perfectly normal for some oil to seep into the cylinders which creates some smoke at start-up. Won't hurt anything other than making the neighbors think you have a Harley.
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 1:59 am

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Re: SMOKE at start-up on side stand, NO smoke parked on center stand ! - mind-bender ???

Yep, normal. Mine will do that too, but if I hold it upright about 15-20 seconds after I turn the engine off, it won't do that. I particularly make sure I do this at gas stations to make sure I don't smoke everybody out leaving, and them looking at me like wtf.

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 2:02 am

[QUOTE=WPNorton Won't hurt anything other than making the neighbors think you have a Harley.[/QUOTE]
Love your avatar.....

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 4:58 am

Easy way to prevent the smoke at start up is to pull into the position where you are going to park the beast and turn off the key. While holding the bile level remove your gloves and helmet. Remove the key, check your lipstick in the rear view mirror and THEN lean it over onto the side stand. This will keep the smoke at bay.

Or...... just don't worry about it. If someone asks tell 'em it's a feature of the K-Bikes!

Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 6:45 am

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Does anyone have the full technical specs for the piston rings on the K12's ? My 1988 K100RT with the original engine used to do it really badly, but when I changed the engine (loose output shaft rivets and cheaper to exchange the engine at the time) I discovered that in late 1989 K100 the rings were pinned to stop them rotating, presumably either at 120 degree increments if all (3) rings were pinned, or maybe they only pinned the lower oil control ring with the gap at the top. Whichever the case, my 1989 engine could be left on the side stand for a week and no smoke was ever seen from the exhaust. I can't say I've seen any yet from my 2005 K12, but only owned it for a month. As stated, not a problem.
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 12:04 pm

Why doesn't a Gold Wing smoke after having been parked on the side stand? I know they have boxer engines. I have friends with Gold Wings and they have never had this issue.
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 12:27 pm

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
Easy way to prevent the smoke at start up is to pull into the position where you are going to park the beast and turn off the key. While holding the bile level remove your gloves and helmet. Remove the key, check your lipstick in the rear view mirror and THEN lean it over onto the side stand. This will keep the smoke at bay.

Or...... just don't worry about it. If someone asks tell 'em it's a feature of the K-Bikes!

Loren
Wearing lipstick is a feature of K-bikes? Who knew??

Last edited by Voyager; Jun 5th, 2011 at 3:57 pm.
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 12:29 pm

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEXYDUC
Why doesn't a Gold Wing smoke after having been parked on the side stand? I know they have boxer engines. I have friends with Gold Wings and they have never had this issue.
No way to know without seeing the inside of the engine, but I suspect they may have designed it such that the oil is guided away from the cylinder bores as it drains back. Or maybe the rings seal better, but that seems unlikely.
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 12:49 pm

Quote:

Loren

+1 Just as Loren said

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:Invisible Mask Co-pilot Shelf
Starcom1 Digital Nolan 103 Helmets Russell Custom Seat Garmin 550w/XM Foot Peg Relocation kit Hyper Lights Foot Pegs Centech AP-1 RKA Tank Bag Wilber Shocks

Future plans Brake Lever Extension Shift Lever Extension

Pictures so Far

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 3:31 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quoted: 66 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by K100Dennis
Whichever the case, my 1989 engine could be left on the side stand for a week and no smoke was ever seen from the exhaust. I can't say I've seen any yet from my 2005 K12, but only owned it for a month. As stated, not a problem.
It is not a matter of how long it is on the side stand but a matter of how soon you put it on the side stand after shutdown. Let the oil drain a bit then lean it over (like Loren said). The rings are pinned on all the K1200's.
2005 Ocean Blue Blue Wizard
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

CCR 06 Braselton CCR 07 Osage Beach CCR 08 Midway
CCR 09 Rapid City CCR 10 Killington, VT,CCR 11 Boise, CCR 12 Duluth
CCR 2013 Bend, CCR 2014 Backyard!
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 3:45 pm
Bond Slave

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
Wearing lipstick is a feature of K-bikes? Who know??
Yep, his nickname must be "Flo".
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you supported bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 4:34 pm

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
It is not a matter of how long it is on the side stand but a matter of how soon you put it on the side stand after shutdown. Let the oil drain a bit then lean it over (like Loren said). The rings are pinned on all the K1200's.
Mine were not pinned! I had to replace the pistons in my '01 due to the ring lands breaking on all four, detonation damage.

The rings are not pinned. The service manual states that rings gaps should be placed approx. 120 degrees apart on installation. (I am sure they stay that way over millions of cycles )

I got in the habit of leaning the bike a little to the right for a few seconds after shutting off the engine to keep oil from pooling behind the pistons.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 7:28 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Mine smokes every once in a wile.... & I don't use either the side stand or the center stand ... ...
AMA Charter Lifemember
30 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 8:34 pm

And why don't the R bikes smoke? well at least half as much.
2002 R1150GS
2008 "smart"
2001 K1200LT current project, AKA M1.2
2002 F650GS It's runnin y'all
2005 K1200S sold
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 11:00 pm

A few explanations -
1. piston rings turn during engine operation. Not all at the same rate, so eventually some ring gaps will be aligned for a period.
2. Once oil has seeped past the lower oil control ring, the rings above will allow oil into the combustion chamber as they seal against the cylinder wall in 1 direction (compression) only.
3. Horizontal appears not to cause a problem, only when inclined downhill, obviously assisting the flow of oil over time.
Remember, piston rings must seal on 2 faces, the underside against the land on the piston grove when the piston travels towards TDC, and the outer ring face against the cylinder wall. Hope this helps. Dennis
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 11:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwacree
And why don't the R bikes smoke? well at least half as much.
They can/do -- like the K bikes, not all, and not all the time, but the R's do smoke on occassion.
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 3:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
Wearing lipstick is a feature of K-bikes? Who know?? [img]images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Yep, his nickname must be "Flo". [img]images/smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

I prefer the bright purple lipstick! Matches the bike!

Signed, Flo-ren

Old Oct 15th, 2011, 11:50 pm

I love this site - I was worried about my smoking lt1200 on start up. now I just think of it as a K1200LT benefit.

db

PS: can;t seem to keep the brake lights from flashing - just replaced the battery...oh by the way reverse now works... any body need a reverse controller I bought to replace what I thought was a busted one?
Old Oct 16th, 2011, 2:37 am

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougbrsrd
I love this site - I was worried about my smoking lt1200 on start up. now I just think of it as a K1200LT benefit.

db

PS: can;t seem to keep the brake lights from flashing - just replaced the battery...oh by the way reverse now works... any body need a reverse controller I bought to replace what I thought was a busted one?
Check brake fluid level in rear reservoir
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
Old Oct 16th, 2011, 3:09 am

Hmmm, looks like someone has been looking in Bert's K100 forum and taken note od my comments, no probs there. I wasn't aware that the K1200 rings are not pinned, or maybe some year models are ? Who knows. But speaking of differences in the engines I also note that the K12 crankshaft can be reground, whereas the K100 crankshafts were hard chromed and ground, hence non repairable. I wonder if this stopped due to expense ? I know it is certainly a high quality crankshaft in the K100.
1988 K100RT (sold, still missed)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
Old Oct 16th, 2011, 8:09 am

Loren, what color fingernail polish do you use? I know you are a color coordinated kind of guy
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD )
Old Oct 16th, 2011, 8:30 am

Why, I use a very nice shade of metallic purple of course! You are correct. I do like my accessories to be color coordinated!

I'm currently looking for a bike cover in a matching shade of purple. It is just so difficult these days to find sources for appurtenances in the proper shade. Sigh........

Loren

Old Oct 16th, 2011, 11:15 am

Talking Re: SMOKE at start-up on side stand, NO smoke parked on center stand ! - mind-bender ???

Well that's because you keep calling it Purple Loren! Mauve is the color buddy!

John
Quote:
Why, I use a very nice shade of metallic purple of course! You are correct. I do like my accessories to be color coordinated!

I'm currently looking for a bike cover in a matching shade of purple. It is just so difficult these days to find sources for appurtenances in the proper shade. Sigh........

Loren
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

Old Oct 16th, 2011, 11:30 am

Way back in the day, I owned the original Gold Wing.

If you left her on the side stand for thirty seconds, she would smoke like a mosquito fogger. I mean BIG TIME SMOKE.

Old Oct 16th, 2011, 11:57 pm

John, a rose by any name is still a rose..... Purple be purple!

Warden, I had a '78 wing. Very fun unfaired ride. like you I out a Vetter fairibg on it. Compared to the LT that setup looks like it must have stone wheels. A Vetter fairing..... Sheesh!

Loren

Old Oct 17th, 2011, 10:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patric
Mine smokes every once in a wile.... & I don't use either the side stand or the center stand ... ...

How the hell does your bike stay upright when you park it, do you have an anti-gravity farkle?

83 Yamaha XJ Turbo Forced Air Futility
83 GPz 1100 Thrashed, Trashed & Crashed
74 Honda 500-4 Mad Max reincarnate
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 10:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family_fun
How the hell does your bike stay upright when you park it, do you have an anti-gravity farkle?
Sidecar.
Old Oct 18th, 2011, 2:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family_fun