Brake Failure Light Flashing even thought reservior is full - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 Old Apr 2nd, 2011, 12:47 pm Thread Starter

Brake Failure Light Flashing even thought reservior is full

I took out my 2003 K1200LTC to get some gas. It was 45 degrees and I had the itch. On the way back my brake failure light and the caution triangle light began to alternate in the on position. Eventually, the triangle went out but the brake failure light continued to flash. I read the treads about brake fluid low and went ahead and fill the rear reservior almost to the top. Started the bike and the brake failure continued to flash on and off.

While on the center stand and started and put it into gear squeezed the front brakes and stepped on the rear brakes hoping for something. No luck. Getting desperate I disconnected the battery thinking maybe the Computer needed resetting. Assuming it has one. Only thing I got was a scare when I reconnected and the bike alarm went off on me.

So it's all back together sitting on the center stand and when I start it, the brake failure light comes on and flashes.

Any idea's

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 Old Apr 2nd, 2011, 5:04 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Brake Failure Light Flashing even thought reservior is full

Try driving it again it has to finish the self test (still) and the rolling test (checks sensors) before it will clear the fault. Is this what you have ?

Gen OFF, ABS flashes at 1Hz = ABS not available. Pull-away test not completed.

John
2009 K1300GT
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 Ocean Blue Blue Wizard
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

CCR 06 Braselton CCR 07 Osage Beach CCR 08 Midway
CCR 09 Rapid City CCR 10 Killington, VT,CCR 11 Boise, CCR 12 Duluth
CCR 2013 Bend, CCR 2014 Backyard! CCR 2015 Couer d'Alene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 64 Old Apr 2nd, 2011, 6:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Try driving it again it has to finish the self test (still) and the rolling test (checks sensors) before it will clear the fault. Is this what you have ?

Hate to say it but from my experience (not LT) this could be a failed ABS unit $$$$$$$$$

2010 R1200RT
2002 R1100S
1993 R100RT
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold

post #4 of 64 Old Apr 2nd, 2011, 7:43 pm

Ok so you filled one rear brake reservoir,
my 2002 LT had 2 rear brake reservoirs, right next to each other
did you fill both rear brake reservoirs?

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #5 of 64 Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 8:43 am Thread Starter

Yup, I fill both of those and even added some to the handle bar reservior.

I've got a set of brake pads on order now too. I've seen some posts where the light went out after pads were put in.

Even checked the brake light for any problems.
post #6 of 64 Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 8:46 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler

Thanks, I'll take it out later today and see what happens.

Bill
post #7 of 64 Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 8:48 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadicool59
Hate to say it but from my experience (not LT) this could be a failed ABS unit $$$$$$$$$
I'm not even thinking that way yet. It's only got 14,000 miles on it. I can hear all the servo noises and that brakes seem to work just fine. I wouldn't want to take it up 65 MPH and try to stop suddenly though.
post #8 of 64 Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 9:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by whejdak
I've seen some posts where the light went out after pads were put in. .
the reason the light goes out is because the new pads force the calipers open farther thus pushing to brake fluid BACK into the ABS reservoirs. So if you are certain the ABS reservoirs are full, the pads are not the answer.....

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 64 Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 12:30 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe
the reason the light goes out is because the new pads force the calipers open farther thus pushing to brake fluid BACK into the ABS reservoirs. So if you are certain the ABS reservoirs are full, the pads are not the answer.....
I thought about that. I'm probably going to have to remove some break fluid now after replacing the pads. I hadn't thought of that before.

I was going to take it out today. Just before I decided to go. It hailed real hard here. Good thing to be patient.

I got to admit. Taking it out now with the brake failure light on makes me a little nervous.

Bill
post #10 of 64 Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 5:26 pm

Mine was doing this before I changed the fluid, reservoirs were full, fluid was about 2 or 3 years old. I kept putting of the fluid change due to riding too much. Now that I changed it, all is good.

Mike
In the frozen tundra
2003 Impala Brown LT

2001 Suzuki RM250
2000 FZR1000
1984 Honda Sabre
1984 KDX 200
post #11 of 64 Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 11:31 pm

Had to replace my Battery before I solved similar situation.

Murphy's law & no Excuses!
and no1 can argue!
post #12 of 64 Old Apr 4th, 2011, 1:35 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTExfisher
Had to replace my Battery before I solved similar situation.
+1. Picked up a $70 sealed battery from eBatteries.com. Solved the wig-wag.

HTH,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 4)
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Convertable

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #13 of 64 Old Apr 5th, 2011, 9:27 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jers99lt
+1. Picked up a $70 sealed battery from eBatteries.com. Solved the wig-wag.

HTH,
Jer
I don't understand why a new battery would fix the problem. I don't have to even tough the brakes (use them) and the light is on already. I'm going out today its pretty nice. I'll see if it resets like someone suggested. Pads probably won't solve the problem. My nearest dealer is about 40 miles away. I'd have to trailer the bike. I wouldn't trust driving with the brake light on for that distance.
I'm thinking about draining the fluid completely and replacing it. As far as I know, it's never been done. I bought the bike used about three years ago.
Bill
post #14 of 64 Old Apr 5th, 2011, 9:44 am

I wouldn't worry about riding 40 miles to your dealer as log as the servo assist is working.. Well over 99% of all motorcycles do not have ABS brakes. If you need to stop suddenly you will need to revert to your old techniques. Don't lock up the wheels by grabbing a hand and foot full of brakes. You will do fine as long as the roads don't have sand, cinders, gravel, etc on them left over from ice mitigation if that is a factor where you live.

BTW, on the older bikes (mfg date before 001/01/2001) you don't even have to worry about the servo assist as they don't have assisted brakes.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #15 of 64 Old Apr 5th, 2011, 10:08 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
I wouldn't worry about riding 40 miles to your dealer as log as the servo assist is working.. Well over 99% of all motorcycles do not have ABS brakes. If you need to stop suddenly you will need to revert to your old techniques. Don't lock up the wheels by grabbing a hand and foot full of brakes. You will do fine as long as the roads don't have sand, cinders, gravel, etc on them left over from ice mitigation if that is a factor where you live.

BTW, on the older bikes (mfg date before 001/01/2001) you don't even have to worry about the servo assist as they don't have assisted brakes.

Loren
Another interesting comment! I wondered about that too. While I was driving, everything seems fine.I thought to myself, that if there is no brake fluid leaking then the brakes still have to work somewhat. It can't be any worse then my R75/5. You can't even call those brakes. Thanks for the feedback.
post #16 of 64 Old Apr 5th, 2011, 10:31 am

I dont know....I have been trying to solve brake pump problems on my 04. See my threads under my user name.

When my brakes/pump quit working...I have virtually NO brakes no matter how hard I squeeze or push on the controls. Usually if I pump the controls the brakes will return. Occasionally they will not and I "downshift/coast" to a stop. I then shut off the ignition, restart and they work again for a brief time.

I am only riding very familiar backroads at "safe" speeds while I try to hopefully find a cause and solution...if there is one...other than a $3,000 plus brake pump replacement.

Steve
post #17 of 64 Old Apr 5th, 2011, 10:45 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I don't understand why a new battery would fix the problem.
Bill
After I started getting the wigwag brake lights that wouldn't go off I told my mechanic and started a search for ABS fault and wigwag. I took the error code off the test connector pin which read that the module was bad. I didn't want to go that route so I went with:

1) Mechanic said it could be the battery.
2) Many forum members stated their experience with a weak battery causing the fault.
3) Flushed the brake lines a few times.
4) The battery was suspect anyway due to age.

I went with the collective experience of the forum. Maybe someone here has a reason that as a battery wears out its voltage lowers and at some point it translates into an ABS fault.
Maybe the ABS piston is getting sticky/rusty and needs a stronger electrical push. I don't know for sure.

Regardless, it worked for me.

HTH,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 4)
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Convertable

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #18 of 64 Old Apr 5th, 2011, 11:13 am

FOR THE GUYS WHO REPLACED THEIR BATTERIES.....were any of you getting actual brake failure...as in no braking at the calipers or were you just getting the warning lights on the dash?
post #19 of 64 Old Apr 5th, 2011, 11:41 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by loser
FOR THE GUYS WHO REPLACED THEIR BATTERIES.....were any of you getting actual brake failure...as in no braking at the calipers or were you just getting the warning lights on the dash?
Well I froze my you know what's but shortly after I took off, the flashing brake light went out. It has to be the lower fluid level in conjunction with a resetting of the electronics. As I mentioned, I disconnected my battery, then reconnected it. Perhaps this helped too. It also got me thinking about the guys who replaced batteries. Perhaps, it wasn't the battery, but the fact that the power was removed and then replaced. Just like a computer PC restart. Anyway, I don't know if its gone for good but the light is out for now. I'm just hoping that the next time I take it out it won't come back on again. But this whole thing got me thinking about getting that Dot 4 out of there and replenishing it with fresh brake fluid. So, it's probably going back to the dealer for that operation. I'm electrical not mechanical and I hate hydraulics.
Thanks everyone for the help.

Bill
post #20 of 64 Old Apr 5th, 2011, 12:05 pm Thread Starter

I thought this was over. I just couldn't stand to not know if it was going to do it again the next time I rode. So, I pulled it out of the garage again. Started in neutral as usual and the brake light came on again and started flashing. So I took off with it, the brake light went out. Turned it off restarted brake light came on .... drove it brake light went out. I'm at a loss. This did trigger something in my mind and that is that since I bought the bike used. That brake light always came on and went out after I started driving it. So now it's back to where it was last year and the year before. I just thought that was natural and paid no attention. The thing that was different this year was the alternating between "Brake Failure" and the "Caution Triangle". That Triangle doesn't come on anymore.
It's like having a limp. Once you have it, you know how to deal with it. Moving on.

Bill
post #21 of 64 Old Apr 5th, 2011, 12:46 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Bill, my thoughts on understanding why a new battery will fix the ABS problem. First it isn't really a problem with the ABS. As batteries get older they deliver less (voltage and current) power, the ABS needs lots of power (voltage and current) to work correctly.

So you turn on your bike, the lights come, the ABS self tests, the radio comes on, the grips heaters are on etc. Right now that older battery is doing all the work and the voltage (power) it supplies is dropping. As soon as you hit the starter button it drops more. Note the alternator isn't helping yet, you need the engine to be spinning.

Now BMW knows that ABS systems need a good battery to function and you just told the diagnostic circuit yours is almost toast. So BMW wants you to be safe (so you don't take them to court) and a really good way to get your attention is to tell you there is a problem with the ABS. I am just guessing here, but that is what I would do.

So you go to the shop they tell you that you need a new ABS, you come here and find out that a new battery is really all you need.

Hope this helps.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #22 of 64 Old Apr 5th, 2011, 12:51 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker15
Bill, my thoughts on understanding why a new battery will fix the ABS problem. First it isn't really a problem with the ABS. As batteries get older they deliver less (voltage and current) power, the ABS needs lots of power (voltage and current) to work correctly.

So you turn on your bike, the lights come, the ABS self tests, the radio comes on, the grips heaters are on etc. Right now that older battery is doing all the work and the voltage (power) it supplies is dropping. As soon as you hit the starter button it drops more. Note the alternator isn't helping yet, you need the engine to be spinning.

Now BMW knows that ABS systems need a good battery to function and you just told the diagnostic circuit yours is almost toast. So BMW wants you to be safe (so you don't take them to court) and a really good way to get your attention is to tell you there is a problem with the ABS. I am just guessing here, but that is what I would do.

So you go to the shop they tell you that you need a new ABS, you come here and find out that a new battery is really all you need.

Hope this helps.
John for the piece of mind that it gives, I'm going to buy a new battery. It is at least three years old. It's a very interesting point of view that you have come up with, and I cannot dispute.

thanks for your input.

Bill
post #23 of 64 Old Apr 5th, 2011, 2:17 pm

Quote:
I thought this was over. I just couldn't stand to not know if it was going to do it again the next time I rode. So, I pulled it out of the garage again. Started in neutral as usual and the brake light came on again and started flashing. So I took off with it, the brake light went out. Turned it off restarted brake light came on .... drove it brake light went out. I'm at a loss. This did trigger something in my mind and that is that since I bought the bike used. That brake light always came on and went out after I started driving it. So now it's back to where it was last year and the year before. I just thought that was natural and paid no attention. The thing that was different this year was the alternating between "Brake Failure" and the "Caution Triangle". That Triangle doesn't come on anymore.
It's like having a limp. Once you have it, you know how to deal with it. Moving on.

Bill
(Bolding mine)
Maybe I'm missing something here, but this is exactly normal operation on my '03. The light continues to flash until you drive a few feet. (The "wig-wag" you seem to have conquered.)

Custom sig temporarily unavaiulable while I think about it.
post #24 of 64 Old Apr 5th, 2011, 3:02 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lare
(Bolding mine)
Maybe I'm missing something here, but this is exactly normal operation on my '03. The light continues to flash until you drive a few feet. (The "wig-wag" you seem to have conquered.)
How long have you had yours?
I take it that wig wag means the alternating between The Triangle and Brake Failure light?

Never heard that term before.

Bill
post #25 of 64 Old Apr 5th, 2011, 5:00 pm

It is sounding normal to me. One stays lit steady and one flashes? Then they both go out when you start to move? If so, it's the normal self check procedure.

I once took my first car with ABS (Saturn SL2) back to the dealer because of a "metallic" sound after I would start it and then first drive off. The tech got in the car with me and snickered a bit when I said "There it is!" He asked "First car with ABS? It's the self check." Sure enough it was buried in the owner's manual.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #26 of 64 Old Apr 8th, 2011, 9:23 am

Quote:
How long have you had yours?
I take it that wig wag means the alternating between The Triangle and Brake Failure light?

Never heard that term before.

Bill
About three years now. I just verified it yesterday:
Key on, lamp test,
Start engine, most of the lights go out except for the two brake lights (and neutral)
A couple moments later, the one light goes out leaving on the second ("Brake Failure").
Put it in gear, start to move and within 5 feet all lights are out.

Custom sig temporarily unavaiulable while I think about it.
post #27 of 64 Old Apr 8th, 2011, 12:46 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lare
About three years now. I just verified it yesterday:
Key on, lamp test,
Start engine, most of the lights go out except for the two brake lights (and neutral)
A couple moments later, the one light goes out leaving on the second ("Brake Failure").
Put it in gear, start to move and within 5 feet all lights are out.
You've had yours about the same length as mine. Thanks for the feedback. It appears that at least there are two K1200's that do the same thing.

Bill
post #28 of 64 Old Apr 8th, 2011, 4:02 pm

I had the same ABS warning light a few years back before I replaced the OEM battery. All fluids were at the correct level. Had brakes that worked properly. A friend of mine suggested that my battery was old and needed to be replaced even though I had kept it on a trickle charger.

And yes it was the battery.

Replaced it and no more ABS warning lights.

Actually I am glad that this low battery warning is built into the ABS. IT gets my attention and also kept me from being out on a trip and having a dead battery miles from home.

Much rather start my LT in the garage and see the warning lights, trace the cause and fix it before hitting the open road. Sort of like a guardian angel!

Have a great day!
post #29 of 64 Old Apr 8th, 2011, 7:03 pm
Lifetime Supporter

The ABS lights flash together when you start the bike. This is normal and they will go out when you start to move. If your hearing is normal you will hear a small metallic clunk when they go out. It is the self-check completing.

When the ABS lights flash with an alternating pattern it indicates a fault and is not part of the self-check. What you describe is consistent with a weak battery.

Flush your brake lines and ABS unit every two years. This should prevent failure of the ABS unit. Not using a pressure washer on the bike is also helpful. Water in the brake system is a fatal problem to the ABS unit. I NEVER use a pressure washer on any motorcycle.

From reading your post, it sounds like your bike simply sat too long and the battery was weak when you went out. Charge or replace the battery and you will likely resolve the problem.

post #30 of 64 Old Apr 9th, 2011, 8:29 am
Lifetime Supporter

I had the ABS light thing too on My '02 ... six years ago . It had a Odyssey 680 battery that was less that 2 years old . I put brake fluid in , & that didn't help . I took the battery out , & put a Westco in . The brake light problem went away . The old Odyssey 680 battery still cranked the bike OK , but apparently the ABS didn't like it . A few months later my garden tractor needed a battery . I had the Odyssey laying there ,so I put it in , & it still works great...My bike just didn't like it .

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
30 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #31 of 64 Old Apr 12th, 2011, 1:19 pm Thread Starter

Thanks everyone again for all the help.
It looks like the problem was low brake fluid in the rear reservior. I've been driving and It is acting just like it use to do. Flashing brake warning when I start and goes out when I take off. My new battery is here and my new brake pads are here. Not needed right now, but good security for the future.

Final comment: It does take a little driving once the reservior is filled. It didn't go out immediately.

bill
post #32 of 64 Old Apr 12th, 2011, 6:30 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Make sure you remove some fluid before you puch the pistons back to install the new pads. Otherwise it will end up on the garage floor.

John
2009 K1300GT
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #33 of 64 Old Apr 24th, 2011, 11:03 pm

Wouldn't it be easier to do a load check on the battery first before replacing it?
I have had my K1200LT 2002 now for about 3 months and put about 2k on it. Noticed that when I applied brakes quickly it would stop on a dime. The wife needs a seat belt to keep her in place lol. Anyway, took it out yesterday had to stop suddenly and the bike did not react as usual. Took longer to stop. After pulling away I noticed both lights flashing. Stopped the bike turned it off then back on lights acted normal when rolling out. The next time I applied the brakes smoothly both lights came on again and braking was not normal. I guess I will try a load test on the battery first to see what it drains down to.

Just a side question. Is it normal that if you are sitting still at a stop light you hear the acuator running?

2002 BMW K1200LT
1994 Kawasaki Ninja ZX1100
WR400

post #34 of 64 Old Apr 25th, 2011, 9:41 am

1stBmw: Mine (03) did this deal after owning it a couple years. The normal flashing sequence would start and go off, but at the first stop, the lights would flash again. Check your fluids. The rear reservoir is pretty tiny so it doesn't take much loss due to pad wear to set off the slow flashing code. It's probably just trying to tell you to check the fluid. I added a tiny bit to my rear reservoir and problem has solved itself apparently. I searched here and posted up and worried and all, and just needed to add fluid. Try that first.

The rear reservoir is kinda tough to get to, but you can do it w/o removing plastic. Get the lid off (tough part). Then use a funnel or stick a piece of tubing in brake fluid container, cap end with finger, put hose into reservoir and release finger to allow fluid in hose to run into reservoir. Doesn't take much at all.

And yes, anytime you are applying the brakes, you can hear the whine of the braking system. It can be annoying - turn the radio up to drown it out.. : )

These bikes do a LOT of things that folks aren't used to after riding "conventional" bikes. I went thru that too. Folks here are very helpful in that regard.

Good luck to everyone with the flashing brake codes....

Randy
post #35 of 64 Old May 2nd, 2011, 5:32 pm

Well so far I have hooked up a battery booster to the bike before starting it up. Rode around the yard and the lights went out after reaching the 3mph speed when I applied the brakes (did not matter which ones) the lights came back on and continued to flash. I figured it was easier to do this rathers than buying a battery that I may not need. All fluids were full.

Next I went ahead and started to flush the system (it was dirty). I did the front brakes first, when I started the rear all seemed well but the pimp stopped pumping. When I apply the front brakes the pump works but when I apply the rear nothing. Any suggestions? Brake lights work. Could it be a relay or is the pump dead?

2002 BMW K1200LT
WR400

post #36 of 64 Old May 3rd, 2011, 7:22 am

UH OH.....I hope its not another $3500 brake "modulator" pump repair like some of us are currently and have dealt with recently. Keep your fingers crossed......
post #37 of 64 Old May 23rd, 2011, 5:10 pm

Angry Re: Brake Failure Light Flashing even thought reservior is full

I'm facing the same issues of sorts. My 02 LT res. are full. Topped them both off myself. The issue I'm having is when you turn the key on the usual lights are on Triangle and Brake Failure. Then the Triangle goes out till you take off then at 3mph the Brake Failure goes out.
Here is where it all goes pear shaped. While riding down the road the Triangle comes on and stays on. But the Brake Failure is flashing the 4 flashes per second. I've managed to narrow it down to the rear abs pump motor. And I took it to the dealer and had it diagnosed. At first they told me it was a brake line that needed replaced. So we did that. Then they test rode it and all was fine till the brakes were applied. Then it did what I had happening. Triangle on Brake Failure flashing fast. They then hooked it to the diag. computer and it said rear pump failure. Which I already knew.
So the question is could it be the ABS relay causing the problem? I find it hard to believe it's the pump motor when it works sometimes and sometimes not. I can cycle the key and it may come right back with the flashing light and sometimes not. I can ride it and use the brakes with no problems and then it may turn the Brake Failure light back on. Weird.

I know it's got me baffled. I've got a notion to flush the brake circuits first and a new relay before I go spending $2500 +. And if that doesn't do the trick I may just pull the unit and take it apart. I figure I can't mess it up any more that it may already be. And maybe I'll figure out what's causing the pump to act up. I can't believe there are no repair parts for these iABS controllers.

There has to be something else using these controllers isn't there? Besides BMW. I wonder how much of that price is tied to the name BMW?
post #38 of 64 Old May 23rd, 2011, 5:27 pm

Sometimes these systems, take on a life of their own. My wigwag brake lights on the 2003, do not go out untill I activate one of the brakes--than the servo kicks in and remain working for the rest of the ride.
post #39 of 64 Old May 23rd, 2011, 6:17 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

On the integral system there is no "ABS" relay. Only brake light and warning lamp relays. The ABS II units had a power relay that controlled the single motor in that ABS unit.

When an integral pump goes bad it may not be the motor itself but it could also be one of four pressure transducers that has gone bad. There are also small filters at each of the two output ports that can become clogged.
BMW made the decision to not support repairs on this assembly and did not provide for spare parts. Economics I imagine, far easier to replace the entire unit as it is only one item to stock on the shelf rather that a several dozen. Maybe some day there will be a source, but often BMW makes agreements with sub-manufacturers not to supply parts outside of the manufacturing process.

John
2009 K1300GT
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #40 of 64 Old May 23rd, 2011, 6:20 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stbmw
Just a side question. Is it normal that if you are sitting still at a stop light you hear the acuator running?
Only if you have the brakes applied. It is the brake switch in both the lever and foot pedal that sends the signal to the ABS unit to start the pumps.

John
2009 K1300GT
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #41 of 64 Old May 24th, 2011, 9:52 am

Well this all good information. No on to the next phase. Does anyone have a unit for an 02 LT that they want to donate for research? I'm at at the point of taking on trying to repair one.
If man built the thing man can rebuild one! Just might take a lot of research. But I'd like to keep riding mine while I'm researching.

If you have one let me know. You can email me at beemerman at iowaconnect dot com
Address obscured so I don't get spammed. But if you know how to use email you'll figure it out.
post #42 of 64 Old May 24th, 2011, 10:53 am

Well I finally took mine to the shop a couple weeks ago and they have determined that it was the pump and I have to buy a new one. That was my choice as the service department try to convince me not to fix it and ride it as is. I am hoping that I will be able to keep the original pump but from somewhere I had read that the pump must be turned in as a core. I guess what irritated me was that I had all the tuppereware off the bike while I was trying to figure it out myself and when I asked if the price would be cheaper on the labor since they would not have to remove or install the plastic they told me no as it is rolled into the fee of R/R of the ABS. If I could have a saved a few bucks I would have had some other work done on it.

Can't wait to get it back. I guess the only good from this is that I will have a 2 year warranty on parts and labor in case it should go bad.

Hopefully I wont experience any more costly expenses and if so hopefully I will have spare parts already purchased. I do this with my other bike. When I see something costly at a cheap price I will go ahead and buy it. Who knows when you may need it and it has helped me out many times by having spares on hand. For instance I went on a poker run this past weekend. The night before the run I noticed that the headlight on my sport bike was not working. After trouble shooting I concluded that the junction box had gone bad. Thank goodness I bought one 7 months ago cheap and I was able to make the ride and did not have to worry about getting home before dark.

For the BMW I have aleady pruchased brake and clutch levers and resevoirs, windshield, handlebar controls, speakers, top tupperware (I gues you guys call it the stingray or something?) and I am working on purchasing alternator and starter and baggage compartments for when that day comes and it falls over.

2002 BMW K1200LT
WR400

post #43 of 64 Old May 24th, 2011, 1:22 pm

Well so far my dealer said he throws them away to the recycle man. What a deal.
If you can keep yours let me know if you want to part with it.
post #44 of 64 Old May 24th, 2011, 3:29 pm

Many people in this thread are overlooking the fact that K1200LTs came with two very different ABS systems. The early bikes (like my 2000) had ABS II.
This had a separate single fluid circuits for front and rear brakes. ABS II has two "ABS" lights that flash in unison until the ABS system self test completes after the bike is moving, since it needs to verify the wheel speed sensors. The brakes on an ABS II bike work just like normal brakes without anti-lock if the ABS system fails. Many ABS II fault codes will not clear without either a trip to the dealer, or a GS 911 tool, or a fairly involved procedure that involves pulling connectors off the controller and grounding a pin. Both systems can have faults that are caused by low battery voltage instead of a real failure.

With the later ABS system the brakes loose stopping power if the ABS is not functioning, so unlike ABS II it really needs to be working for safety.

For the last couple years I have lived w/o ABS after my ABS lights started wig wagging about the same time I had to replace my battery. Last time I replaced the battery I got a cheap lead acid, didn't keep the charge high enough last winter and just switched back to an AGM battery. (No mtce charge needed, just disconnect the negative cable for the winter so the bike doesn't drain it.)

I just purchased a GS-911, reset the (piston) fault that was reported,
and the ABS appears to be working fine again.

If anyone is close enough to Woodford WI, that you'd like to come by and have your engine or ABS fault codes read or reset, PM or email me, and I'll do it no charge if we can arrange an agreeable time and place to meet. Some "service" functions of the GS 911 are limited to 10 bikes in the version I got (but not fault code reads or resets), if you want one of those "service" functions performed, I'd do that too, but ask for a 1 time $25 fee, so by the time I
get to 10 bikes I have the upgrade to the unlimited version paid for.

(As a bonus, there's plenty of great riding in this area.)
post #45 of 64 Old May 24th, 2011, 3:36 pm

Yep, mine has the iABS (Interlinked ABS). From what I've read so far the 02's were the first to have it, I guess. And I think the K12GT, K12LT, K12RS(?) and the K12S had the same controller. But I haven't confirmed that by part numbers.
post #46 of 64 Old Nov 17th, 2013, 8:48 pm

My 2002 K1200LT just started the Wig Wag thing. The front was only slightly low, but the rear was a good bit low. I filled them both and that seemed to do the trick. I just started working nights and I noticed that when I drive into work in the afternoon when it is warm out, everything is fine, but when I go home at night when it is chilly, the wig wag starts right away. I just had new tires put on a few weeks ago, and while it was at the dealer, I had them check my brakes and they said everything was fine with them. I have completely topped off the fluid, but the low fluid warning just keeps blinking sometimes. They seem to work just fine and I can hear the servos working. My battery was very weak and I was about to replace it, but then I noticed that it was nearly dry. I topped up the battery and now it is fine.
post #47 of 64 Old Nov 17th, 2013, 9:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by haltech007
My 2002 K1200LT just started the Wig Wag thing. The front was only slightly low, but the rear was a good bit low. I filled them both and that seemed to do the trick. I just started working nights and I noticed that when I drive into work in the afternoon when it is warm out, everything is fine, but when I go home at night when it is chilly, the wig wag starts right away. I just had new tires put on a few weeks ago, and while it was at the dealer, I had them check my brakes and they said everything was fine with them. I have completely topped off the fluid, but the low fluid warning just keeps blinking sometimes. They seem to work just fine and I can hear the servos working. My battery was very weak and I was about to replace it, but then I noticed that it was nearly dry. I topped up the battery and now it is fine.
Abs system is sensitive to low battery.

James Hart
2002 LTE Titan Silver
1992 Yamaha Virago 750 (given to friend)
River Oaks, TX
post #48 of 64 Old Nov 18th, 2013, 1:54 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Did you top off both the front and rear halves of the rear most reservoir? It is the only one that is monitored and each half has an independent float sensor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	res 2.jpg
Views:	809
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	45097  

John
2009 K1300GT
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #49 of 64 Old Apr 15th, 2016, 4:34 pm

New battery, full of fluid and my lights were both flashing at one point and now they are alternating very fast. Also my brakes will not lock or get real tight. Noticed I need new pads. Will try that and see what happens. Any other suggestions?
post #50 of 64 Old Apr 16th, 2016, 6:34 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Fast flash is a sign of internal failure in the ABS module. Not a good thing $$$$$.

John
2009 K1300GT
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.