Replacing front brake pads 2000 LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 5:03 pm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Replacing front brake pads 2000 LT

After several searches for info on how to remove the front brake pad retaining pins on my 2000 LT, I stumbled on a link to a thread from 2006 describing how to do it. Since it was so difficult to find, I'm going to post the procedure here.

Remove the caliper bolts and rock the calipers back and forth on the rotor to push the pads back. Slip the caliper off the rotor. Remove the retaining clip. Locate the small hole that the retaining pin rests in on the inside of the caliper. Using a nail punch and a hammer, holding the punch with 2nd and 3rd finger with the index finger holding the caliper, tap the punch lightly. The pin will pop right out and the pads will drop out. Once I found how to remove the pins, the pad swap went quickly. I was finished in no time. Can't say how long, for I didn't look at the clock.

This procedure will be the same for 1999 and early 2001 LTs with Brembo calipers.
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 9th, 2010, 6:46 am

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Replacing front brake pads 2000 LT

Lee, I just suffered through this a couple weeks ago on my '01. It is a HUGE pain to get the calipers off. I finally pushed the pads back with a screwdriver. Not going to reuse them anyway. I used 60 grit garnet paper on my random orbital sander. Worked great. I think I may have overdone it a bit when I followed the recommendations of some members on this site to bed them in. They sure work great though.

Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
Old Aug 9th, 2010, 8:33 am

It only took a few trys with a pry bar to get my pads far enough back to pull them off.

I wish I had the BMW tool for pushing the claipers back when off the bike. I went to sears and they had a few brake pad tools but nothing that looked sufficient.

The pads were easy to remove and the pins did not take much to figure out. My rear pad was a little harder since the cotter pin was al bent out of shape, but I finally got the pin out and bent back into shape.

Brakes on these bikes are pretty easy.

I took my new pads out after dark and "bed" them in pretty well.

We rode 900 miles round trip to key west the next day and not a squel or noise from the brakes at all.
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

Old Aug 9th, 2010, 4:28 pm

I did a little different twist on the front pads. Now bear in mind that I am old and my memory isn't all that great, but this is what I think I did I pulled the pin and dropped the pads out of the calipers with out removing them (calipers). I couldn't get the pistons pushed back far enough to reinsert the new pads so I removed the calipers. Very easy job with the pads out. I then used the old pads and a shim and "C" clamps to compress the pistons completely. Installed the new pads and reinstalled the calipers with no resistance.

I did have one issue with one of the caliper mounting bolts being galled. Use copious amounts of PB Blaster and finally got it out. Bought new bolts and tapped out the threads. Life is good now. BTW almost came head to head with a State LEO whilst bedding the new pads. Sat up straight and acted normal as soon as I spied him
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD )
Old Aug 9th, 2010, 6:12 pm

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
It is a HUGE pain to get the calipers off. I finally pushed the pads back with a screwdriver.
I have used the method of rocking the caliper side to side on the rotor several times. I've forgotten who told me to do it that way, but it always works. Once the pistons are back, the calipers slide right off and when you're ready, slide right back on.

Got my new pad bedded in last evening. New EBC HH sintered pads. Work really well.
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
Old Aug 9th, 2010, 10:10 pm

It is my understanding that you can't pull the pads from the calipers on the ABS II brakes without removing said calipers. Mine wouldn't come out.

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatzo
I did a little different twist on the front pads. Now bear in mind that I am old and my memory isn't all that great, but this is what I think I did I pulled the pin and dropped the pads out of the calipers with out removing them (calipers). I couldn't get the pistons pushed back far enough to reinsert the new pads so I removed the calipers. Very easy job with the pads out. I then used the old pads and a shim and "C" clamps to compress the pistons completely. Installed the new pads and reinstalled the calipers with no resistance.

I did have one issue with one of the caliper mounting bolts being galled. Use copious amounts of PB Blaster and finally got it out. Bought new bolts and tapped out the threads. Life is good now. BTW almost came head to head with a State LEO whilst bedding the new pads. Sat up straight and acted normal as soon as I spied him

Old Aug 10th, 2010, 8:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
It is my understanding that you can't pull the pads from the calipers on the ABS II brakes without removing said calipers. Mine wouldn't come out.

Loren
Loren,

I am not sure what ABS II is, I have the BREMBO calipers on both bikes.
05 Honda Sabre 1100
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 8:35 am

Quote:
Loren,

I am not sure what ABS II is, I have the BREMBO calipers on both bikes.
Dang! Did I read correctly that you completely removed the front pads before you removed the calipers?

BTW the Brembo calipers indicate ABS 2 as opposed to the newer linked ABS brakes on the '01's manufactured after Jan 1, 2001 and later.

Loren

Old Aug 10th, 2010, 9:42 am

Loren,

Yes you read correctly, I dropped the pads before removing the calipers. I read that you can do that, someplace on this forum. Never tried it before on the RT, but it worked on the LT. I tried to insert the new pads with the calipers in place, but due to the increased thickness, I couldn't get them both in and couldn't compress the pistons enough.
05 Honda Sabre 1100
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 12:18 pm

You and I have the same breaks, ABS II. I was sure that I read a post stating that you could drop the pads on the '01 and later bikes but not on the earlier ones. Rears yes, fronts no.

Probably a wash anyway as I used garnet sandpaper to clean the baddies off the rotor per Ron Millers advice as I was changing pad brands. Bedded them in as instructed and boy did they get hot! They sure do work well though.

Loren

Quote:
Loren,

Yes you read correctly, I dropped the pads before removing the calipers. I read that you can do that, someplace on this forum. Never tried it before on the RT, but it worked on the LT. I tried to insert the new pads with the calipers in place, but due to the increased thickness, I couldn't get them both in and couldn't compress the pistons enough.

Old Aug 10th, 2010, 4:09 pm

I have a 2000 LT, and I can't remove my pads without taking the calipers off. With the newer bikes I am told it can be done, I haven't figured out how to do it on mine.
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 6:01 pm

All I can say is, I pulled the clip, drove the pin out and the pads came right out. I am not going to try it again until I need new pads again.
05 Honda Sabre 1100