Heel Shifter - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 3:57 pm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Heel Shifter

Hello there.....
As a long, long time Crusier Rider and a Newbee LT owner, I got very use to using the Heel Shifter on my Roadstar....
There is a Heel Shifter I can attach to my Toe Shifter on the LT. Sounds great. I was just wondering if anyone out there has put this on their bike and if so, how did it work out and it's position in relation to your Heel?

Thanks, Don
Attached Thumbnails
Heel Shifter-comfort-kickshift-bmw-k1200lt-motorcycle-parts-accessories_02.jpg  

Last edited by Mrdon03LT; Jun 28th, 2010 at 4:07 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 28th, 2010, 4:13 pm

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Re: Heel Shifter

a long time ago in a land far far away...

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6534
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 7:08 pm

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrdon03LT
Hello there.....
As a long, long time Crusier Rider and a Newbee LT owner, I got very use to using the Heel Shifter on my Roadstar....
There is a Heel Shifter I can attach to my Toe Shifter on the LT. Sounds great. I was just wondering if anyone out there has put this on their bike and if so, how did it work out and it's position in relation to your Heel?

Thanks, Don
I hadn't seen this item before. Not sure anyone has posted about it.
I just ordered one, I'll let you know what I think.
http://cvmtouringaccessories.com/LT_...t/default.html
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 7:39 pm

I found it on A&S BMW Parts and Accessories.
Let me know how it feels when you get it on.
The Picture of the nice Chrome piece from Micheal is very nice, but $200?

Thanks, Don
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 8:39 am

Quote:
Hello there.....

Thanks, Don
Man....that is the ugliest shifter I've ever seen.......lordy!

I've had the one from Buckskins foto for just about 4 years now.....wouldn't trade it for nothing........and it's all chrome......just can't beat chrome....
363K on BMW's
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 10:04 am

Quote:
Hello there.....

Thanks, Don
If you are going to add that heel shifter you might want to upgrade the shifter linkage also. As fragile as it is you will most likely break it using your heel to shift.

http://www.powergridinc.com/bmw.asp

Do a quick search on "shifter linkage" and you will get more information than you probably want.
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 12:39 pm

Yup!!!!!! I do miss the Chrome... Buck's Chrome kit is sweet!!! I will probably get that one.
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 12:41 pm

Great suggestion..... Thats. I would not have thought of that!!
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 5:33 am

My heel shifter arrived yesterday and installation took only a few minutes.
I haven't done any riding and won't get a change for a couple of days, but sitting on the bike the location of the heel plate seems to be located pretty well; location of the heel plate was my only real concern.

It seems a simple solution compared to other heel shifter mechanisms I have seen.

As far as appearance, I think form follows function and this is not a bad looking accessory. If it had been chrome, on my bike it would have looked out of place; to each their own.

The shifting action seems smooth and I don't think that the heel shifter will stress the shift linkage any more than normal shifting unless you are someone who stomps on the shifter. I have the original shift linkage and haven't ever had a failure, although I have inspected the linkage assembly and lubricated it a couple of time in the past 70,000 miles.

I have a little arthritis in my big toe, and up-shifting irritates it. I am hopeful that this heel shifter will ease that pain. I'll report on my experience after the next good ride.

The shifter is made by the same folks who make J-pegs.
http://cvmtouringaccessories.com/index.html
Attached Thumbnails
Heel Shifter-heel-shifter-001.jpg   Heel Shifter-heel-shifter-002.jpg  
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 3:38 pm

I got a few miles on the LT with my new heel shifter today, here's the report:
I realize when they designed this shifter it was for the stock location of the footpeg. I have the Suburban Machinery peg lowering device so that makes the location of the heel shifter a little higher with respect to the peg. Even so, it works comfortably. I did find after a few miles of experimentation that I could just place the heel of my boot against the plate that the footpeg is fastened to and push down. This resulted in pressing down on the arm that the shifter heel plate is attached to rather than the heel plate itself. It worked very well this way, and I found myself upshifting with very little repositioning of my foot.

A couple of pics are attached, one showing the boot heel on the shifter heel plate, and one pic showing the heel of the boot on the arm of the shifter just forward of the heel plate. This is the position I found myself using the most and it was very convenient.
A note here: the pics are a little bit of a construct as I am holding the boot, not wearing it in the photos. The actual position of the boot might be a little different if I were actually wearing the boot, sitting on the bike and someone else took the pics.

In short, the heel plate of the shifter is a little high if you have footpeg relocators like I do. But the shifter works very well. Simple, effective design; kind of makes the other types I have seen look over-engineered. Glad someone posted about this shifter, I was getting ready to fabricate something myself but this one looked too easy and was 1/2 the price of others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
My heel shifter arrived yesterday and installation took only a few minutes.
I haven't done any riding and won't get a change for a couple of days, but sitting on the bike the location of the heel plate seems to be located pretty well; location of the heel plate was my only real concern.

It seems a simple solution compared to other heel shifter mechanisms I have seen.

As far as appearance, I think form follows function and this is not a bad looking accessory. If it had been chrome, on my bike it would have looked out of place; to each their own.

The shifting action seems smooth and I don't think that the heel shifter will stress the shift linkage any more than normal shifting unless you are someone who stomps on the shifter. I have the original shift linkage and haven't ever had a failure, although I have inspected the linkage assembly and lubricated it a couple of time in the past 70,000 miles.

I have a little arthritis in my big toe, and up-shifting irritates it. I am hopeful that this heel shifter will ease that pain. I'll report on my experience after the next good ride.

The shifter is made by the same folks who make J-pegs.
http://cvmtouringaccessories.com/index.html
Attached Thumbnails
Heel Shifter-heel-shifter-003.jpg   Heel Shifter-heel-shifter-006.jpg  
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 7:04 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quoted: 35 Post(s)

That looks interesting Curtis, but I am having a hard time visualizing how pushing down in the back makes the front go up. I know it does but my feeble engineer's brain is having trouble seeing the pivot point. Must be the pivot for the shifter itself. Kind of like the belt hanger that you support on the tip of your finger while the belt puts a rotational force holding it up as if by magic. I'll see if I can model it in CAD.
2005 Ocean Blue Blue Wizard
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

CCR 06 Braselton CCR 07 Osage Beach CCR 08 Midway
CCR 09 Rapid City CCR 10 Killington, VT,CCR 11 Boise, CCR 12 Duluth
CCR 2013 Bend, CCR 2014 Backyard!
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 7:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
That looks interesting Curtis, but I am having a hard time visualizing how pushing down in the back makes the front go up. I know it does but my feeble engineer's brain is having trouble seeing the pivot point. Must be the pivot for the shifter itself. Kind of like the belt hanger that you support on the tip of your finger while the belt puts a rotational force holding it up as if by magic. I'll see if I can model it in CAD.
I agree John, at first look it seems counter-intuitive. But the pivot point of the stock shift lever is only a few inches back from the toe lever. The shifter pivot point is the center of effort. The whole premise is kind of like a steering wheel with all but one spoke missing. Turning the wheel will still rotate the axis, regardless of where you grab the wheel.

Does that analogy make sense?
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 7:38 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
The whole premise is kind of like a steering wheel with all but one spoke missing. Turning the wheel will still rotate the axis, regardless of where you grab the wheel.

Does that analogy make sense?
That is Bloody Brilliant Curtis!!!! I think I'll get me one as well!
2005 Ocean Blue Blue Wizard
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

CCR 06 Braselton CCR 07 Osage Beach CCR 08 Midway
CCR 09 Rapid City CCR 10 Killington, VT,CCR 11 Boise, CCR 12 Duluth
CCR 2013 Bend, CCR 2014 Backyard!