Weep Hole Drilling Video - Page 2 - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 82 Old May 8th, 2012, 12:21 pm Thread Starter
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Weep Hole Drilling Video

Thanks, I appreciate the compliments. Always trying to do better. And this was the first video ever filmed by the camera man (and me to do).

John
2009 K1300GT
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 Ocean Blue Blue Wizard
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

CCR 06 Braselton CCR 07 Osage Beach CCR 08 Midway
CCR 09 Rapid City CCR 10 Killington, VT,CCR 11 Boise, CCR 12 Duluth
CCR 2013 Bend, CCR 2014 Backyard! CCR 2015 Couer d'Alene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 82 Old May 9th, 2012, 5:10 pm

What a great Video!!! I have to do the main seal on my k1200gt and this covers well over half of what I am going to have to do.
My question is should this be done on a 2003 k1200gt? I'm thinking yes, but better safe to ask.
Any chance you are going to do a main seal video before this weekend?

Just to throw it out there, any specialty tools I am going to need for my job? I am making the 30mm socket for 12mm hex key tonight. I will use a socket with tape for seal depth. I understand a tool to line up the clutch is needed, and maybe something to press the main seal?
Thanks again for the great video. If I can get my camera to work I will tape my main seal job.
post #53 of 82 Old May 9th, 2012, 7:51 pm Thread Starter
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The clutch housing is similar so you will need a bar to lock it in place to remove the shaft nut. (need a new one of those as well as the clutch cover bolts) The seal has been driven in with a short piece of pipe with a pipe flange of the right diameter. I blew my first one using a PVC coupling that was too small and I was trying to get it straight and tipped it in at the top. No way to get it out and re-use it. The o-ring on the shaft also needs to be replaced (19x4). I found the LT clutch was pretty easy to line up eye ball style and using the release rod.

If you get stuck PM me you number and I'll give you a call.

John
2009 K1300GT
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #54 of 82 Old May 10th, 2012, 12:30 am

Thanks for the help, I found this write up which is great. I'm sure it's been posted before, but redundancy was never a bad thing. Well except for with kidney stones.
http://www.bmwlt.com/files/albums/us...er%20Guide.pdf
post #55 of 82 Old Jul 15th, 2012, 7:28 pm

Thanks John! Another great tech session.

As previously mentioned, it seems to me that after doing several of these one would be able to accurately measure the depth and placement of where this hole should be drilled. Then you could take a drill bit and put a sleeve over it to fix the depth and perhaps make a small jig to get the proper placement for the hole. This would eliminate a lot of work.
Obviously if you are going it to change a seal or the salve then it doesn't matter. But just to drill the weep hole it would be a huge time and energy saver. Plus not everyone has all those tools or a lift, but almost everyone has a drill.

As for the guys in the background, maybe they should listen Christian Bale's rant on a move set. I was going to post the link here, but it's very graphic. Simply go to http://www.youtube.com and search "Christian bale rant" if you are so inclined and need a laugh.

Again, great job and much appreciated!
post #56 of 82 Old Dec 23rd, 2012, 7:09 am

I was thinking... would it be possible to make a jig to drill the weep hole without removing the swingarm? I'm thinking that by using a bike that has the hole already drilled...a drill bit or similar diameter shaft could be inserted into the hole, and then a guide could be slid over the bit/shaft. A brace(s) could then be anchored to some solid fixture (bell housing bolts?) and then welded to the guide. When the jig is bolted to any LT... the depth and angle would be correct. Slide the bit into the guide and drill away.

FS
post #57 of 82 Old Dec 23rd, 2012, 7:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatStrat
I was thinking... would it be possible to make a jig to drill the weep hole without removing the swingarm? I'm thinking that by using a bike that has the hole already drilled...a drill bit or similar diameter shaft could be inserted into the hole, and then a guide could be slid over the bit/shaft. A brace(s) could then be anchored to some solid fixture (bell housing bolts?) and then welded to the guide. When the jig is bolted to any LT... the depth and angle would be correct. Slide the bit into the guide and drill away.

FS
then when you pull out a wet drill bit, you can remove the swingarm and change the slave....

sorry... couldn't resist....

I can't remember if there is room to get in there without removing the arm.
I'm sure John Z. will know.

True Wisdom Only Comes From Pain.

post #58 of 82 Old Dec 23rd, 2012, 7:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnT
then when you pull out a wet drill bit, you can remove the swingarm and change the slave....

sorry... couldn't resist....

I can't remember if there is room to get in there without removing the arm.
I'm sure John Z. will know.

I suppose that could be a possible outcome but...when done with the slave out...does the hole that is drilled encroach the area of the slave collar or is it forward of it? If it's forward ...and the swing arm or anything else doesn't obstruct the angle of attack... It should be
doable?
post #59 of 82 Old Dec 23rd, 2012, 7:40 am

Hi all.
Friend of mine drilled a weep hole just straight in to the clutch housing.
He drilled 10 Millimeter offset to the left of the Centerline
and 10 Millimeter away from the seam of the Clutch housing / Gear Box
and used a 6 Millimeter Drill.
He did this last winter so he run the Bike for a hole season without any problems in that area.
In my opinion there is no need to build a gauge or somekind of fixture to drill that hole in the right spot.
Hope I can help someone.

Manfred
post #60 of 82 Old Dec 23rd, 2012, 7:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatStrat

FS
Robert;if you can come up with something and it works ;I am all for it.But something tells me; John would of came up with this if could be done (I THINK).
It does sound like something that would work;
Maybe it is something John can put together for all us.

Gary
2003 LT1200
post #61 of 82 Old Dec 23rd, 2012, 7:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreuter
Hi all.
Friend of mine drilled a weep hole just straight in to the clutch housing.
He drilled 10 Millimeter offset to the left of the Centerline
and 10 Millimeter away from the seam of the Clutch housing / Gear Box
and used a 6 Millimeter Drill.
He did this last winter so he run the Bike for a hole season without any problems in that area.
In my opinion there is no need to build a gauge or somekind of fixture to drill that hole in the right spot.
Hope I can help someone.

Manfred
Manfred;I am just curious if you know of anybody else that did this way;you probably could not get a picture of it .;have you thought of doing yours

Gary
2003 LT1200
post #62 of 82 Old Dec 23rd, 2012, 7:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryEm
Robert;if you can come up with something and it works ;I am all for it.But something tells me; John would of came up with this if could be done (I THINK).
It does sound like something that would work;
Maybe it is something John can put together for all us.

Gary
2003 LT1200
Well..if, and/or, when the need arises that my bike suffers the slave / clutch / rear main problem, during the repair process when everything is apart, I will experiment with this. While it's apart would be the time to drill the hole in the conventional manner and then gauge the possibility's. Hope that it never comes to that but, if it does...
post #63 of 82 Old Dec 23rd, 2012, 8:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryEm
Manfred;I am just curious if you know of anybody else that did this way;you probably could not get a picture of it .;have you thought of doing yours

Gary
2003 LT1200
Hi Gary, with pics is not easy because He is about 250 mi away. But I just spoke to him and He told me on his second LT wich He bought from UK with a defect clutch He just used a grinder and ground a groove in the clutch housing on the seam while the Bike was apart.
I my self dont see a problem either Way, there is nothing just behind the wall of the housing. You should not put your Drill 5" in to the housing, just sensitive without any brutal pressure on the drill through and good is.
And yes I would do it the same way on my 01.

Manfred
post #64 of 82 Old May 23rd, 2013, 7:22 am

Great job John !
One suggestion if I may. I have found it way easy to install the Drive shaft prior to swingarm installation. I have been in there many times from the sprage clutch to 2 clutch jobs.
Today I swap out my slave cylinder.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #65 of 82 Old May 23rd, 2013, 8:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray
Great job John !
One suggestion if I may. I have found it way easy to install the Drive shaft prior to swingarm installation. I have been in there many times from the sprage clutch to 2 clutch jobs.
I found this to be true. I also discovered another use for duct tape... I tape together the forward u-joint and the shaft so they are straight enough and can be tapped onto the transmission shaft without wiggling their way out. I then remove the tape and install the swing arm over the driveshaft.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
03 Saab Convertible (other spare bike
)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #66 of 82 Old May 23rd, 2013, 7:22 pm Thread Starter
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray
Great job John !

Yeah you are correct. I have not done that but it makes sense because the other way is a bugger. I do know that if the shaft is out you can get the swing arm out with one buggered pivot pin still in place!!

John
2009 K1300GT
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #67 of 82 Old May 24th, 2013, 5:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Yeah you are correct. I have not done that but it makes sense because the other way is a bugger. I do know that if the shaft is out you can get the swing arm out with one buggered pivot pin still in place!!
Funny you mention that.. My R bearing stud was a bear I broke one 1/2" 14mm socket. When the socket split it spun and rounded the flats a bit . next step I picked up a impact grade 14mm socket bearing stud loosened and is now stuck to the socket..

Thought I may have to resort to removing the sa with one stud in.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #68 of 82 Old May 24th, 2013, 3:24 pm Thread Starter
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I buggered two of them both times I removed the swing arm. Dave Selvig made me a socket that will never slip. I used external easy outs from Sears on the first one and got it off. The second one was on the left side and the easy out would do nothing but chew it up (they don't hold up well - the easy outs that is). That is when I pulled the shaft and cross member (and I think exhaust) off (doing the clutch) and I was able to get it out in the open to put the big vise grips on it.

John
2009 K1300GT
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #69 of 82 Old Jun 29th, 2013, 9:04 am

Thanks To Izellers excellent video and great photography, I was able to drill the weephole without removing the swingarm. That saved a ton of work - really appreciate all the work y'all have done for us newbies! Steve
post #70 of 82 Old Apr 1st, 2014, 5:42 pm

Beeing a totally "newbee" to this site, and the bike, K 1200 LT, 1998, a thread like this is like reading latin...

Please, what is drilling a weep hole good for? (Have some pictures in my mind of drilling a weep hole, but doubt if it has anything to do with a beemer)

Previous bikes:
1949 Nibus 750 cc, 4-in-line, shaft drive
1960´ies Vespa 125
2007 Yamaha YBR 125
1992 Honda Revere
1998 BMW K 1200 LT
post #71 of 82 Old Apr 1st, 2014, 6:30 pm

Read post #16 in this thread, and John Zeiler explains the purpose of doing the weep hole. Lotsa folks have done it over the years, and there are anecdotal examples of doing this and the resulting advantage of catching potential clutch damage early, before it becomes a serious repair.
post #72 of 82 Old Sep 7th, 2014, 12:38 pm

I cannot access the files in the Coppermine Gallery where the Weep Hole pdf is located. My login and password are correct but every time I try, I get a login failed notice. Any help would be appreciated.
post #73 of 82 Old Sep 7th, 2014, 2:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd54 View Post
I cannot access the files in the Coppermine Gallery where the Weep Hole pdf is located. My login and password are correct but every time I try, I get a login failed notice. Any help would be appreciated.
Yep - been a known issue for quite awhile now. Butt "we're looking into it", so they say in the Admin group.
post #74 of 82 Old Sep 8th, 2014, 8:28 pm Thread Starter
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd54 View Post
Go back to the very first post in this thread and click on the blue links. It will down load just fine. Not on the Coppermine Gallery.

John
2009 K1300GT
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #75 of 82 Old Jul 11th, 2015, 1:53 pm

Why drill a weep hole for the slave unit? What does that offer? I'm confused?

[img]
1/7/7/5/8/

1998 Honda Shadow 65K - sold
2003 BMW K1200LT - 10060K
IBI Member (1K Miles in 17 Hrs)
post #76 of 82 Old Jul 11th, 2015, 3:26 pm Thread Starter
Wrencher Extraordinaire

If the internal seal starts leaking Dot4 the fluid has no where to go except down the rod and into the clutch, contaminating it. The weep hole does two things. 1. The fluid now has somewhere else to go. 2. If you inspect the hole you will know you have a leak before your clutch starts slipping.

John
2009 K1300GT
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #77 of 82 Old Aug 24th, 2015, 3:06 pm

My bike is currently on the lift over at my mom's garage (my garage is already to full of stuff at the moment) awaiting return of a serviced final drive. I have been thinking about going a bit deeper and doing the weep hole thing. Is the hole visible from the underside of bike if it has already been done?

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

post #78 of 82 Old Aug 24th, 2015, 3:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munmi View Post
My bike is currently on the lift over at my mom's garage (my garage is already to full of stuff at the moment) awaiting return of a serviced final drive. I have been thinking about going a bit deeper and doing the weep hole thing. Is the hole visible from the underside of bike if it has already been done?
I believe it is but not easy to get your head under. At 3:52 of VID "B" you get a good view of where you have to look up to under the bike to look for oil seepage. At 10:49, you can see where the drill is to see where to look at also from underneath.
Munmi likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

Signature
post #79 of 82 Old Aug 24th, 2015, 8:08 pm Thread Starter
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Yes especially if the rear drive is off you can look up right at the bottom of the slave cylinder boss.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Weep hole drill.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	88002  

John
2009 K1300GT
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #80 of 82 Old Nov 24th, 2015, 4:49 pm

hi, sorry but it's my bad English or American knowledge once again. What is the meaning of "weep hole drilling"?
post #81 of 82 Old Nov 24th, 2015, 5:41 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikosK1200LT View Post
hi, sorry but it's my bad English or American knowledge once again. What is the meaning of "weep hole drilling"?
'Weep' may not translate well. It's a drain hole you drill so that if the clutch slave starts leaking, the fluid drips to the ground and not onto the clutch plate.

2002 LT
1977 GL1000: 2,400 mile trip to Devil's Tower summer 2015.
1982 Nighthawk, gone
'68,'69,'71 Triumphs, all gone

1981 GS650GL, gone
post #82 of 82 Old Nov 25th, 2015, 7:32 am

Thanks for the explanation Merical. I'm sure this hole exists below the 1984 K100 clutch area. Should it be on the 1200LT as well. I'll check it out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.