Mirror Replacement Woes - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 6:23 pm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mirror Replacement Woes

The front mounting "tab" of my left mirror disintegrated and I have been looking for a used replacement for some time, to no avail. I finally gave up and ordered a new mirror cup assembly from my local dealer. It arrived on Friday and I spent some time this weekend trying to install it.

First I tried the "slam-the-mirror-on-the-carpet" trick for a while, to no avail. Then, looking at the parts diagram I figured I could cut the back of the old mirror cup apart using a router attachment on my Dremel tool. I should have examined the diagram more closely because that did not avoid the need to pop out the mirror glass.

Tried more slamming. No joy. I improvised some straps and slid them behind the mirror glass and began pulling on the back of the mirror. After a while the mirror popped out of the ring and did not break.

Unfortunately, one of the edges broke off the little bar in the middle of the adjusting unit. Also, I cannot get the ring on the back of the mirror to re-engage on the adjuster. I guess the broken part may be the culprit. Looking at some pictures posted on the list, it looks like the ring on the back of the mirror may have changed a little.

Back to the dealer this week, I guess. This repair was more of a pain that I anticipated. A little more costly, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 3:51 am

Re: Mirror Replacement Woes

Hi,
It is difficult job to take apart the mirrow from the #5 show in the attachment file.
I have my right mirrow broken hitting by a blind rider which don't notice his width was over when I was stop. I am luck that only #3 pin holder was broken and cost lot already.
I order #3 part and ask the dealer fix it for me because I think that will be hard to change.
When the technican change the #3 that he didn't notice #6 was attach with doubleside stick with #5 and just put it on ground to tear it out.
My mirrow was push to broken so he took the #6 basic plastic plate to mirrow shop to cut a mirrow to fix it.
Before I got it back I am using a wide blind round mirrow for car to attach on # 5 for temp. use that make me could see behind.
I didn't notice there is some pin on # 5 and sorry that I didn't take picture for easy understand.
Just some of my experience.
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Mirror Replacement Woes-hbmw3457mirror.png  
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 11:38 am

I think you might have the same problem I had. I had to replace #3 because of the busted spring and luckily the mirror was still good. So, long story short, I got #3 and the next step was to reinstall the mirror. Easy I thought, since I read up on the know-how on the forum. I tried pushing the mirror onto the ring, I tried harder, I gently slammed it, I slammed it harder, after many tries of pushing and slamming it, I went for it. I went to the service counter and had the tech play with it. He tried it a few times and said it was really hard and he was not going to push it (figuratively and literally) or it will break. OK, my turn again. So, mirror or no mirror I was going for broke (figuratively and literally again). I pushed and pushed down on it really hard and... the mirror shattered! Either the mirror had to go or I would've gone nuts over it!! I was tired of this stupid thing!!!!

Anyway, so I bought the very expensive replacement mirror. Since I was travelling from Santa Fe, NM, via Houston (where I bought #3 since SF didn't have it and now the new mirror) to Cocoa, FL., I didn't want to chance breaking it again so I duct taped the mirror onto the #3 and off I went. You would be surprised how much wind is pushing the mirror out of #3. I had to duct tape again and this time on all sides. Two sides weren’t enough.

Once home safely and after resting a couple a weeks, I figure I challenge it again. I tried pushing the mirror onto the ring, I tried harder, I gently slammed it, I slammed it harder, after many tries of pushing and slamming it, I went for it. This time the pin in #8 broke. So, I ordered #8 from Daytona BMW. Got the #8, installed it but the #8 ring was bigger than the ring on the mirror. Whaaaatt?!! Geez. Now, really long story short. I called Daytona BMW up, they say it's the right part, I say no way. The part is too big for the mirror attachment. The tech says no way. OK, here I go again. I rode up to Daytona and talked to the tech. The tech looks at it and says it's the correct part. "OK", says I, "then what's wrong?" One look at the mirror, the tech stated that the reason it won't go on is that the outer ring of original #8 was still attached to the mirror. WTF, how'd it get there? So, he pried it off with needle-nose pliers, and with no effort smoothly pushed the mirror onto #8. This of course is attached to #7 and #3.

So... whew. Out of breath now. I think the problem is that you might have the outer ring of #8 still attached to your mirror. That's what happened to me. Check the mirror ring and check #8 and see if it can be easily aligned, if so, it should be easily attached. I learned a very expensive lesson. Nothing beats OJT!

But the mystery still remains---where did the outer ring of #8 come from? Either the #8 was originally broken along with #3 or I think I broke #8 when I pushed the original mirror onto it and broke it then. So, when I tried attaching the new mirror onto #8, it wouldn't attach because #8 was broken and somehow the outer ring got attached to the mirror. Hmmmmm, one of life's mysteries. Something I will think over and over.

2002 K1200LT-E "StratoLounger"
2000 Road King Classic "StratoKruzer"
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 5:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_King
One look at the mirror, the tech stated that the reason it won't go on is that the outer ring of original #8 was still attached to the mirror. WTF, how'd it get there? So, he pried it off with needle-nose pliers, and with no effort smoothly pushed the mirror onto #8. This of course is attached to #7 and #3.

So... whew. Out of breath now. I think the problem is that you might have the outer ring of #8 still attached to your mirror. That's what happened to me. Check the mirror ring and check #8 and see if it can be easily aligned, if so, it should be easily attached. I learned a very expensive lesson. Nothing beats OJT!
You win the cigar! This morning I decided to put the entire mirror assembly in a box and take it to the dealership. The parts manager looked at the diagram for the part number and lo and behold, they had the adjuster cup in stock. I opened it up and noticed that it looked different from the old one so I pulled out my mirror to see if the ring would match up the the cup. The parts manager saw immediately that part of the old ring was stuck on the mirror. I have a date with set of needle nosed pliers when I get home. I had the same thought that you did: How the heck did that get in there? I think it adhered to the sticky surface on the back of the mirror glass.

I told the parts manager I would be back after I broke the next part of the assembly! I hope I'm wrong.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 7:51 pm

The key to rebuilding your mirrors is the simple expedient of breaking the mirror. It's only $10; just break it, pull it out and replace it with a new unit. There are many techniques to salvage it but most of them still result in broken mirror glass.

So, just pry it out . Let it break if that's is it's karma. Quick, simple and no frustration.

If you keep your LT for any time, you will rebuild them again.

"bend like a reed in the wind Grasshopper....."
1978 CB750A (Automatic Cafe Racer Ratbike)
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 2:36 pm
Mister Moto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob204bc
The key to rebuilding your mirrors is the simple expedient of breaking the mirror. It's only $10; just break it, pull it out and replace it with a new unit. There are many techniques to salvage it but most of them still result in broken mirror glass.
"
Sounds like a great plan...but where do you get the $10 replacement glass?

>Kevin

>K-daug

aka: studio4design
'06 LT "Shamu"

Old Mar 26th, 2009, 3:52 pm

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Because the PO of my 05 LT had busted both mirror assemblies (all 3 tabs broken on each mirror) and glued the mirrors to the bike using silicone I had to replace them both. I managed to save and re-use the original mirrors themselves, so there is no need to break them.
05 Dark Graphite LT (for sale)
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
03 Saab Convertible (other spare bike )
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

Old Jun 3rd, 2014, 8:43 am

Road King you hit the nail right on the head. I had no problem removing the glass from the mirror housing. I used a 3" metal putty knife. My trouble started when I attempted to reinstall the glass into a new housing. The information about removing the inner ring stuck on the glass prior to reinstalling saved the day. I will also continue to wonder what to with the inner ring? Frisbee anyone?