How in the F@#$ do you get to the rear brake reservoir?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 11:44 pm
gglove's Avatar
Cooler near the Lake!!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tinley Park , Illinois, USA
Posts: 1,222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How in the F@#$ do you get to the rear brake reservoir??

How can I access the rear reservoir to add fluid? Found it, know it needs some, but can not figure out how to get at it to add.

Help before I go more crazy than I already am
__________________
G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 12:35 am
robasay's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Gilbert, AZ, USA
Posts: 444
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: How in the F@#$ do you get to the rear brake reservoir??

Quote:
Originally Posted by gglove
How can I access the rear reservoir to add fluid? Found it, know it needs some, but can not figure out how to get at it to add.

Help before I go more crazy than I already am

On my 99 LT the rear reservoir is located just behind the battery on the right side. Put the bike on the center stand. I open the right side case and remove all of the screws holding onto the side cover except the one under the right upper fairing case and also remove the right side passenger foot peg. You should be able to pull the side panel away just enough to put a clean rag around all painted pieces. Unscrew the reservoir cap and carefully remove the cap and the rubber bladder inside, being carful not to drop any fluid on the paint. I use a small funnel and pour the new fluid into the funnel and the reservoir. Button up all the loose ends.

You can also carefully leave everything there and unscrew the cap after covering painted surfaces and carefully removing the rubber bladder inside and then fill with a funnell.
__________________
Rob Asay
99 Canyon Red Lt
"The True Red Dragon"
1982 Honda "Silver Wing"
1986 Gold Wing Interstate "Blue Babe"
1978 Gold Wing
1976 Kawasaki 900
1967 Honda 305 Scrambler
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 12:59 am
haughty's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Spring, Tx, USA
Posts: 909
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: How in the F@#$ do you get to the rear brake reservoir??

Man when I told the sealership that i ADDED the correct type of fluid i was told DUMKOFF... DOnt you ever ever ever (anudder EVER) add.. it is a closed system and unless you have a leak you should never add fluid.
I am thinking they didnt like having to drain a bit during the pad swap.

I wont dew dat again.
__________________
Don't be afraid to say what you feel, as those that matter DOnt mind and those that mind Dont matter.
Dr.Suess-
-


1980 YAMAHA XJ650 MAXIM (RIP)
1982 YAMAHA 750 VIRAGO (SHES GONE)
1982 SUZUKI GS1000 (GONE)
2001 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R 1150 RT Sold.....
2007 BMW R 1200 GS
1986 BMW K100RT WITH A FLEXIT SIDECAR All you wanted to know about a flexit
1985 BMW K100 RT ( parts bike, but its too nice to do that, so it runs)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 1:02 am
kellenbenz's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Tyler, TX, USA
Posts: 1,768
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Re: How in the F@#$ do you get to the rear brake reservoir??

Quote:
Originally Posted by robasay
On my 99 LT the rear reservoir is located just behind the battery on the right side. Put the bike on the center stand. I open the right side case and remove all of the screws holding onto the side cover except the one under the right upper fairing case and also remove the right side passenger foot peg. You should be able to pull the side panel away just enough to put a clean rag around all painted pieces. Unscrew the reservoir cap and carefully remove the cap and the rubber bladder inside, being carful not to drop any fluid on the paint. I use a small funnel and pour the new fluid into the funnel and the reservoir. Button up all the loose ends.

You can also carefully leave everything there and unscrew the cap after covering painted surfaces and carefully removing the rubber bladder inside and then fill with a funnell.

On his 2003 it requires some plastic removal. Some have done it without removing much, but I am afraid of breaking the plastic, so I remove the right side. Once it is off it will be accessible. Make sure you top it off pretty good.

Ron
__________________


551,000 miles on touring motorcycles

IBA 45658 MOA167437 BMWLT #3

2000 LTC 90600 miles totaled (Purchased new)
2003 LTE 164188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687 miles)
2008 R1200T 76357 miles (Purchased with 16458 miles)
Total BMW miles 313,000


1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 and sold at 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 and totaled at 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 and sold with 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 6:47 am
Axle's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: portland, victoria, Australia
Posts: 871
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Re: How in the F@#$ do you get to the rear brake reservoir??

I did mine the other day just removed the rear seat, unscrewed the the two caps and added fluid with a syringe.
__________________
Regards Linton

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 7:52 am
SilverBuffalo's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: St. Petersburg, FL, USA
Posts: 3,203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: How do you get to the rear brake reservoir??

Epletive deleted (unnecessary for such a simple task.

Just remove a couple of screws at the rear of the side panel (that's all)
then pull the tupperware out an inch or two and add the brake fluid.

There are two reservoirs (I use a syringe or an eyedropper)
you'll most likely only add an ounce or less.

The fluid level goes down as the pads wear (get thinner)
It's a good idea to check the pads when you need fluid.

When you add fluid and then later replace the pads you'll have to much fluid so be sure to loosen the caps and use a rag as that fluid has to go somewhere when you compress the brake caliper piston.
__________________

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"



Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 7:55 am
gglove's Avatar
Cooler near the Lake!!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tinley Park , Illinois, USA
Posts: 1,222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: How do you get to the rear brake reservoir??

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
Epletive deleted (unnecessary for such a simple task.

Just remove a couple of screws at the rear of the side panel (that's all)
then pull the tupperware out an inch or two and add the brake fluid.

There are two reservoirs (I use a syringe or an eyedropper)
you'll most likely only add an ounce or less.

The fluid level goes down as the pads wear (get thinner)
It's a good idea to check the pads when you need fluid.

When you add fluid and then later replace the pads you'll have to much fluid so be sure to loosen the caps and use a rag as that fluid has to go somewhere when you compress the brake caliper piston.
Thanks for making me feel small
I will make the attempt tonight so that the dreaded lights stop flashing at me.
__________________
G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 7:56 am
gglove's Avatar
Cooler near the Lake!!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tinley Park , Illinois, USA
Posts: 1,222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: How in the F@#$ do you get to the rear brake reservoir??

Thanks for the advise.
__________________
G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 6:11 pm
tbarstow's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Trabuco Canyon, CA, USA
Posts: 624
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: How in the F@#$ do you get to the rear brake reservoir??

If you get confused, simply get the chainsaw out and the LT will fill the rear reservior on its own.
__________________
Tim Barstow

2004 GSA Silver
2007 X Challenge
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 6:48 pm
gglove's Avatar
Cooler near the Lake!!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tinley Park , Illinois, USA
Posts: 1,222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: How in the F@#$ do you get to the rear brake reservoir??

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow
If you get confused, simply get the chainsaw out and the LT will fill the rear reservior on its own.
Amen to that. I know some have said it is not that hard; but, I ended up having to take off the rear seat, the side panel, part of the side case and still could not a get a good look at the lever in the rear cylinder of the damn thing. I did put a same amount of fluid in the front and rear chambers so tomorrow I will know if it worked. If not, I have an appointment a t the dealer next week for new tires and they can have a crack at it.
__________________
G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 7:44 pm
BecketMa's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Tucson, AZ, USA
Posts: 3,493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Re: How in the F@#$ do you get to the rear brake reservoir??

If I remember correctly, gotta open the side case to get at one of those screws that hold the "battery cover" that is in the way.

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...s/B0005035.png

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...p?mospid=47964

I didn't find a pix of the battery cover on the foot brake side. But based upon the pix in the link, you can see-match up the one you have to take off or just remove a few screws to loosen.

While I'm thinking of it, I lost a banjo bolt while replacing my rear brake line. MaxBMW had one in stock and was willing to overnight it to me for just whatever their cost is to stick it into a FedX envelope.

Bob, Leaky 00LT
__________________
"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 7:46 pm
gglove's Avatar
Cooler near the Lake!!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tinley Park , Illinois, USA
Posts: 1,222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: How in the F@#$ do you get to the rear brake reservoir??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
If I remember correctly, gotta open the side case to get at one of those screws that hold the "battery cover" that is in the way.

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...s/B0005035.png

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...p?mospid=47964

I didn't find a pix of the battery cover on the foot brake side. But based upon the pix in the link, you can see-match up the one you have to take off or just remove a few screws to loosen.

While I'm thinking of it, I lost a banjo bolt while replacing my rear brake line. MaxBMW had one in stock and was willing to overnight it to me for just whatever their cost is to stick it into a FedX envelope.

Bob, Leaky 00LT
Thanks Bob for your input!
__________________
G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 10:59 pm
BecketMa's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Tucson, AZ, USA
Posts: 3,493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Re: How in the F@#$ do you get to the rear brake reservoir??

Were you able to get the top off the rear brake fluid reservoir?

If not, send tome your eMail adr and I'll eMail you pixs of mine without the battery cover--I can't figure out yet why I can't load them to this site.

bob
__________________
"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No rear brake??? JCarver K1200LT 9 Aug 13th, 2007 10:36 am
Rear brake dragging '00, bleeding abs? waynelt K1200LT 2 Aug 6th, 2007 2:12 pm
Rear brake light not working wjg4 K1200LT 1 Jul 31st, 2006 9:26 pm
Hot rear brake rotor kamike K1200LT 10 May 1st, 2006 10:18 am
Drilled rear brake rotor???? DRothermel K1200LT 10 Apr 7th, 2006 1:01 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 3:07 am.



BMW Luxury Touring is powered by: vBulletin Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. VerticalScope Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.