Join Date: May 2005
Location: Littleton, CO, USA
Re: high mileage k1200
When any machine has that many miles on it, the service record is crucial:
One must know what has been done to the bike. Here are a few things to be aware of:
1) Has the final drive been replaced, at what mileage
2) Have there been any seal replacements, or slave cylinder/clutch assembly replacments, when? If not, you will probably be due for that. It is an expensive repair
3) How about brakes. When were the pads / rotors replaced, ABS Unit issues, etc. How often has the fluid for the brakes been changed?
4) What about speedo, brake cables, master cylinder, etc.
5) How does it run?
6) any leaking under the engine, oil drops, etc.
Overall has the preventive maintenance schedule been followed religiously?
Have the bike checked out by a certified BMW Tech. These engines have been known to last over 300K miles .. So, if the bike is great, you should enjoy it for a long time. Then, what about the price?? how much can you negotiate the price down to and what is the final cost.
Just a few suggestions.