Bosch 72161 oil filter WARNING! - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Voyager
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old Feb 19th, 2008, 8:48 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
kellenbenz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Tyler, TX, USA
Posts: 1,929
Bosch 72161 oil filter WARNING!

Some of you may know that I have recommended buying these filters from www.rockauto.com . While changing my oil yesterday I noticed that the filters that I got through Rockauto had a sticker on the outside of them. The filters that I had bought previously from Beemerboneyard do not have this sticker on them. Please be sure to remove the sticker (it peels off easily) and any residue glue before using these filters. The hot oil bath will loosen the glue and you could have this sticker floating in your pan.

I wouldn't want to see anyone have problems from this.


Ron


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


653,914 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 2692 miles (new)
Total BMW miles 415,531


1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
kellenbenz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 28 Old Feb 19th, 2008, 9:22 am
Senior Member
 
Eric_R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Washougal, Washington, USA
Posts: 216
Re: Bosch 72161 oil filter WARNING!

Ditto on the sticker. It comes right off. That would be bad in your engine

2002 K1200LTC Ocean Blue
Eric_R is offline  
post #3 of 28 Old Feb 19th, 2008, 9:46 am
Lifetime Supporter
 
PMitchell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hudson, OH, USA
Posts: 2,736
Re: Bosch 72161 oil filter WARNING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_R
Ditto on the sticker. It comes right off. That would be bad in your engine
Do they taste like Locktite?

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In July, to The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


2016 Spain & Portugal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'00 K1200LTC
'90 K75
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold in '67


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PMitchell is offline  
 
post #4 of 28 Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 10:55 am
Senior Member
 
RVB1019's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Long Island , NY, USA
Posts: 1,731
Garage
Re: Bosch 72161 oil filter WARNING!

Crap, I saw the sticker and remember this post. Did I remove the sticker----NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Looks like I'm changing the oil again this afternoon.

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RVB1019 is offline  
post #5 of 28 Old Aug 4th, 2008, 8:46 am
Senior Member
 
RVB1019's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Long Island , NY, USA
Posts: 1,731
Garage
Re: Bosch 72161 oil filter WARNING!

Well that didn't go well.

I tried removing the old filter yesterday but the oil filter wrench skipped like crazy. I tried the sandpaper/rag/rubber band removal techniques- no dice.

I'm afraid to try the screwdriver technique. I'll bring it in and have someone try that. My question- how bad is it to leave the label on? Other the the obvious reason - the label gumming up the engine.

Have others repeated my mornic move and left the label on? I'm not planning any LD trips just short ones back and forth to work.

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RVB1019 is offline  
post #6 of 28 Old Aug 4th, 2008, 9:25 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
kellenbenz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Tyler, TX, USA
Posts: 1,929
Re: Bosch 72161 oil filter WARNING!

Rob,

Where did you purchase the 72161 filter from? The only ones that I have seen with a label on them came from www.rockauto.com. If you got yours from Beemerboneyard, they have no labels on them so you won't have to worry.

The reason I made this post originally was that I did't see the label on the filter when I installed it. After 3000 miles the label was still partially stuck to the filter, just both ends of it were loose.

I have not had the "filter won't come off problem" but many seem to make it work by using the rag trick. I do know one guy that had to remove the oil pan, but let's hope you don't have to go there.


Ron


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


653,914 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 2692 miles (new)
Total BMW miles 415,531


1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
kellenbenz is offline  
post #7 of 28 Old Aug 4th, 2008, 9:40 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 14,331
Re: Bosch 72161 oil filter WARNING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellenbenz
Rob,

Where did you purchase the 72161 filter from? The only ones that I have seen with a label on them came from www.rockauto.com. If you got yours from Beemerboneyard, they have no labels on them so you won't have to worry.

The reason I made this post originally was that I did't see the label on the filter when I installed it. After 3000 miles the label was still partially stuck to the filter, just both ends of it were loose.

I have not had the "filter won't come off problem" but many seem to make it work by using the rag trick. I do know one guy that had to remove the oil pan, but let's hope you don't have to go there.


Ron
I haven't used the Bosch oil filter, butt I did have a filter that wuz stubborn to remove. I tried and tried to loosen it, butt nearly reduced the ridges to the flats. In desperation, I rotated the wrench clockwise, as if to tighten it, and that seemed to have broken the 'seal' at the gasket, and off it came with a counter-clockwise twist. I don't recall having to use a rubberband or rag, butt may have.

Not sure how the filter got so tightened in the first place - the torque value is pretty low at 11nm. Guess I oughta have my torque wrench calibrated?!!
Dick is offline  
post #8 of 28 Old Aug 4th, 2008, 11:24 am
Senior Member
 
RVB1019's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Long Island , NY, USA
Posts: 1,731
Garage
Re: Bosch 72161 oil filter WARNING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellenbenz
Where did you purchase the 72161 filter from? The only ones that I have seen with a label on them came from www.rockauto.com.

Yep, Rockauto. I guess I'll cross my fingers, light a candle, slay a chicken in hopes that the label won't screw up my engine.

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RVB1019 is offline  
post #9 of 28 Old Aug 4th, 2008, 11:47 am
Senior Member
 
JATownsend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Bloomfield Hills, MI, USA
Posts: 1,134
Re: Bosch 72161 oil filter WARNING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVB1019
My question- how bad is it to leave the label on? Other the the obvious reason - the label gumming up the engine.
I've gotten my last few batchs of filters from BBY and they all had the stickers on them. I usually remembered to remove them. Well, a couple of months ago I forgot to remove the sticker.

It dawned on me on a long ride. So, I just rode it. Put 6000 miles on that sticker...NOTHING HAPPENED!

If you forget, or like me, get stupid, don't sweat it!!

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI


IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
JATownsend is offline  
post #10 of 28 Old Mar 29th, 2011, 7:05 am
Member
 
Maineace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Saco, ME, USA
Posts: 49
Re: Bosch 72161 oil filter WARNING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellenbenz
Rob,

Where did you purchase the 72161 filter from? The only ones that I have seen with a label on them came from www.rockauto.com. If you got yours from Beemerboneyard, they have no labels on them so you won't have to worry.

The reason I made this post originally was that I did't see the label on the filter when I installed it. After 3000 miles the label was still partially stuck to the filter, just both ends of it were loose.

I have not had the "filter won't come off problem" but many seem to make it work by using the rag trick. I do know one guy that had to remove the oil pan, but let's hope you don't have to go there.
Ron
Yup I had to remove the oil pan on my first oil change, couldn't get the wrench to bra haring all the tricks. Removed oil pan and lo and behold a oil filter with Japanese writing all over it , on a German bike! I was surprised it hand' spun off.

99 K1200 LTC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

00' VT 750 Shadow ACE sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

77' Yam XS750 DCrashed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
Maineace is offline  
post #11 of 28 Old Mar 30th, 2011, 11:07 am
Senior Member
 
casualemt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oak Harbor, WA, USA
Posts: 676
Re: Bosch 72161 oil filter WARNING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVB1019
Well that didn't go well.

I tried removing the old filter yesterday but the oil filter wrench skipped like crazy. I tried the sandpaper/rag/rubber band removal techniques- no dice.

I'm afraid to try the screwdriver technique. I'll bring it in and have someone try that. My question- how bad is it to leave the label on? Other the the obvious reason - the label gumming up the engine.

Have others repeated my mornic move and left the label on? I'm not planning any LD trips just short ones back and forth to work.
I bought a stamped metal oil filter wrench from Autozone, it seemed to fit the filter fine until I tried to get the old filter off with it, I realized that it was tight enough to slide on and feel like it was fitting, but any "wrenching" and the darn thing would just slip. I took the wrench into the shop and using the edge of the vice, I took a punch and put one small dimple in each flat on the wrench, took it back out to the bike, and I had to force it onto the filter, but it didn't slip when I poured on the torque..have been using it ever since with great success.

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
casualemt is offline  
post #12 of 28 Old Mar 31st, 2011, 10:12 am
Senior Member
 
tonygret's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Thousand Oaks, California, USA
Posts: 407
Re: Bosch 72161 oil filter WARNING!

I had the "Stuck Filter" syndrome last oil change. I put a piece of fine emery cloth into the filter cup, tapped it on the filter with a plastic mallet. Then VERY slowly turned it off while keeping upward pressure.

I personally don't thing these filter should be torqued. If both surfaces were dry it might be more accurate. But if you put the filter on correctly you are putting some oil on the seal which makes it much easier to turn when going on. Unlike a nut or bolt this is not a real accurate measure of tightness and you end up spinning the filter too much after contact. I now make contact with the gasket and go a bit more than 3/4 turn.

BTW, I have used the BBY filters and have never seen a sticker on them.
tonygret is offline  
post #13 of 28 Old Mar 31st, 2011, 9:40 pm
Senior Member
 
Fountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: , IN, USA
Posts: 192
Re: Bosch 72161 oil filter WARNING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygret
I now make contact with the gasket and go a bit more than 3/4 turn.
The instructions printed on the OEM filter say to tighten 1/2 turn after gasket contacts base. That's what I've always done and never had a problem getting the old one off.
Fountain is offline  
post #14 of 28 Old Apr 1st, 2011, 7:33 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 4,965
Re: Bosch 72161 oil filter WARNING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygret
I had the "Stuck Filter" syndrome last oil change. I put a piece of fine emery cloth into the filter cup, tapped it on the filter with a plastic mallet. Then VERY slowly turned it off while keeping upward pressure.

I personally don't thing these filter should be torqued. If both surfaces were dry it might be more accurate. But if you put the filter on correctly you are putting some oil on the seal which makes it much easier to turn when going on. Unlike a nut or bolt this is not a real accurate measure of tightness and you end up spinning the filter too much after contact. I now make contact with the gasket and go a bit more than 3/4 turn.

BTW, I have used the BBY filters and have never seen a sticker on them.
As long as the torque value takes the lubricated seal into account, this is not a problem. Threads and seals don't have to be dry to get accurate torque.

However, I agree that turning a certain amount after the seal contacts is an easier method and more than adequate for an oil filter.

2007 K1200LT, VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator, K7MSW
Voyager is offline  
post #15 of 28 Old Jun 30th, 2012, 3:57 pm
Member
 
bluebeam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: waterloo, iowa, us
Posts: 70
Re: Bosch 72161 oil filter WARNING!

I have used 2 90 deg. Dental picks. punctured the picks thru each side of filter with wide blade flat screwdriver used the screwdriver between the picks to turn the filter.....slicker than snott!!

Tom & Berta
<\\\><

THE EARLY BIRD MAY GET THE WORM
BUT ITS THE SECOND MOUSE THAT
GETS THE CHEEZE FROM THE TRAP!!
bluebeam is offline  
post #16 of 28 Old Jul 1st, 2012, 2:02 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Brockport , NY, USA
Posts: 228
Re: Bosch 72161 oil filter WARNING!

The Bosh filter i use is a 3330.
So there must be two Bosh filters that work?
What's the diff between the two?
Bones1955 is offline  
post #17 of 28 Old Jul 1st, 2012, 9:14 am
Senior Member
 
DanDiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Tampa, FL, USA
Posts: 4,764
Re: Bosch 72161 oil filter WARNING!

I know this is not the joke section, but I'm reminded of the following:

Oil Change instructions for Women :

1) Pull up to Jiffy Lube when the mileage reaches 3000 miles since the last oil change.

2) Drink a cup of coffee.

3) 15 minutes later, write a check and leave with a properly maintained vehicle.

Money spent:

Oil Change: $20.00
Coffee: $1.00
Total: $21.00
==========


Oil Change instructions for Men :

1) Wait until Saturday, drive to auto parts store, and buy a case of oil, filter, kitty litter, hand cleaner, and a scented tree, write a check for $50.00.

2) Stop by 7-11 and buy a case of beer, write a check for $20, drive home.

3) Open a beer and drink it.

4) Jack car up. Spend 30 minutes looking for jack stands.

5) Find jack stands under kid's pedal car.

6) In frustration, open another beer and drink it.

7) Place drain pan under engine.

8) Look for 9/16 box-end wrench.

9) Give up and use crescent wrench.

10) Unscrew drain plug.

11) Drop drain plug in pan of hot oil: splash hot oil on you in process. Cuss.

12) Crawl out from under car to wipe hot oil off of face and arms. Throw kitty litter on spilled oil.

13) Have another beer while watching oil drain.

14) Spend 30 minutes looking for oil filter wrench.

15) Give up; crawl under car and hammer a screwdriver through oil filter and twist off.

16) Crawl out from under car with dripping oil filter splashing oil everywhere from holes. Cleverly hide old oil filter among trash in trash can to avoid environmental penalties.

17) Drink a beer.

18) Install new oil filter making sure to apply a thin coat of oil to gasket surface.

19) Dump first quart of fresh oil into engine.

20) Remember drain plug from step 11.

21) Hurry to find drain plug in drain pan.

22) Drink beer.

23) Discover that first quart of fresh oil is now on the floor. Throw kitty litter on oil spill.

24) Get drain plug back in with only a minor spill.

25) Drink beer.

26) Crawl under car getting kitty litter into eyes. Wipe eyes with oily rag used to clean drain plug. Slip with stupid crescent wrench tightening drain plug and bang knuckles on frame removing any excess skin between knuckles and frame.

27) Begin cussing fit.

28) Throw stupid crescent wrench.

29) Cuss for additional 5 minutes because wrench hit bowling trophy.

30) Beer.

31) Clean up hands and bandage as required to stop blood flow.

32) Beer.

33 ) Dump in five fresh quarts of oil.

34) Beer.

35) Lower car from jack stands.

36) Move car back to apply more kitty litter to fresh oil spilled during any missed steps.

37) Beer.

38) Test drive car.

39) Get pulled over: arrested for driving under the influence.

40) Car gets impounded.

41) Call loving wife, make bail.

42) 12 hours later, get car from impound yard.

Money spent:
Parts: $50.00
DUI: $2500.00
Impound fee: $75.00
Bail: $1500.00
Beer: $20.00
Total: $4,145.00
But you know the job was done right!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
DanDiver is offline  
post #18 of 28 Old Jul 1st, 2012, 10:06 am
Senior Member
 
bobst2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: surrey, british columbia, canada
Posts: 470
Re: Bosch 72161 oil filter WARNING!

thats a good one dan made me laugh
bobst2 is offline  
post #19 of 28 Old Jul 1st, 2012, 12:31 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
kellenbenz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Tyler, TX, USA
Posts: 1,929
Re: Bosch 72161 oil filter WARNING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones1955
The Bosh filter i use is a 3330.
So there must be two Bosh filters that work?
What's the diff between the two?
I have put the 3330 and the 72161 side by side and they appear the same. Somewhere on the internet I read that they are the same but made in different countries...one in German the other in the USA.

They both will work in the LT and the R12OO RT....(longer than the RT OEM filter but no problem)

Ron


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


653,914 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 2692 miles (new)
Total BMW miles 415,531


1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
kellenbenz is offline  
post #20 of 28 Old Jul 1st, 2012, 1:26 pm
Senior Member
 
blueknightga6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Acworth, GA, USA
Posts: 1,176
Re: Bosch 72161 oil filter WARNING!

I've used the 3330/72161 from Beemerboneyard and noticed the sticker was actually on the outside of the box. You could tell it had been peeled off. When I've bought them from Auto Zone they have the sticker on them and I peel it off. It comes off real easy with no residue. So, I'd say that Beemerboneyard just simply takes the sticker off too.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
blueknightga6 is offline  
post #21 of 28 Old Jul 1st, 2012, 2:14 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Brockport , NY, USA
Posts: 228
Re: Bosch 72161 oil filter WARNING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellenbenz
I have put the 3330 and the 72161 side by side and they appear the same. Somewhere on the internet I read that they are the same but made in different countries...one in German the other in the USA.

They both will work in the LT and the R12OO RT....(longer than the RT OEM filter but no problem)

Ron
Thank you1
Cheers!
Bones1955 is offline  
post #22 of 28 Old May 5th, 2015, 11:55 am
Junior Member
 
Orcak12lt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by casualemt View Post

I bought a stamped metal oil filter wrench from Autozone, it seemed to fit the filter fine until I tried to get the old filter off with it, I realized that it was tight enough to slide on and feel like it was fitting, but any "wrenching" and the darn thing would just slip. I took the wrench into the shop and using the edge of the vice, I took a punch and put one small dimple in each flat on the wrench, took it back out to the bike, and I had to force it onto the filter, but it didn't slip when I poured on the torque..have been using it ever since with great success.
Just had the same issue and the punch method worked perfect! Thank you.

Robert
Orcak12lt is offline  
post #23 of 28 Old May 5th, 2015, 3:49 pm
Senior Member
 
norton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Doylestown, Pa, usa
Posts: 772
Re: Bosch 72161 oil filter WARNING!

The easiest way if your wrench slips is to put two short self tapping screws through the filter wrench into the bottom of the filter. That will get any filter off no matter how tight it is. I already have holes drilled in the bottom of my wrench for the two self tappers if it slips. But I think most of us over tighten and should stick to the half turn concept.

Scott
2007 LT
norton is offline  
post #24 of 28 Old Jul 8th, 2015, 10:21 am
Senior Member
 
bmwcoolk1200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,202
Re: Bosch 72161 oil filter WARNING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver View Post
23) Discover that first quart of fresh oil is now on the floor. Throw kitty litter on oil spill.
That is a good synopsis. I have to add, slide oil pan out from under car directly behind the passenger front wheel and promptly forget it is there. Back car out and then dump the rest of the kitty litter where you ran over the full drain pan.

SMH

Signature
Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced
bmwcoolk1200 is offline  
post #25 of 28 Old Jul 13th, 2015, 9:57 am
Senior Member
 
amindtat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Wapwallopen, PA, USA
Posts: 132
Re: Bosch 72161 oil filter WARNING!

I had a problem getting the oil filter off once. I switched to K&N filters. Problem solved.
amindtat is offline  
post #26 of 28 Old Apr 17th, 2017, 9:44 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Jose, California, USA
Posts: 260
Re: Bosch 72161 oil filter WARNING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver View Post
I know this is not the joke section, but I'm reminded of the following:

Oil Change instructions for Women :

1) Pull up to Jiffy Lube when the mileage reaches 3000 miles since the last oil change.

2) Drink a cup of coffee.

3) 15 minutes later, write a check and leave with a properly maintained vehicle.

Money spent:

Oil Change: $20.00
Coffee: $1.00
Total: $21.00
==========


Oil Change instructions for Men :

1) Wait until Saturday, drive to auto parts store, and buy a case of oil, filter, kitty litter, hand cleaner, and a scented tree, write a check for $50.00.

2) Stop by 7-11 and buy a case of beer, write a check for $20, drive home.

3) Open a beer and drink it.

4) Jack car up. Spend 30 minutes looking for jack stands.

5) Find jack stands under kid's pedal car.

6) In frustration, open another beer and drink it.

7) Place drain pan under engine.

8) Look for 9/16 box-end wrench.

9) Give up and use crescent wrench.

10) Unscrew drain plug.

11) Drop drain plug in pan of hot oil: splash hot oil on you in process. Cuss.

12) Crawl out from under car to wipe hot oil off of face and arms. Throw kitty litter on spilled oil.

13) Have another beer while watching oil drain.

14) Spend 30 minutes looking for oil filter wrench.

15) Give up; crawl under car and hammer a screwdriver through oil filter and twist off.

16) Crawl out from under car with dripping oil filter splashing oil everywhere from holes. Cleverly hide old oil filter among trash in trash can to avoid environmental penalties.

17) Drink a beer.

18) Install new oil filter making sure to apply a thin coat of oil to gasket surface.

19) Dump first quart of fresh oil into engine.

20) Remember drain plug from step 11.

21) Hurry to find drain plug in drain pan.

22) Drink beer.

23) Discover that first quart of fresh oil is now on the floor. Throw kitty litter on oil spill.

24) Get drain plug back in with only a minor spill.

25) Drink beer.

26) Crawl under car getting kitty litter into eyes. Wipe eyes with oily rag used to clean drain plug. Slip with stupid crescent wrench tightening drain plug and bang knuckles on frame removing any excess skin between knuckles and frame.

27) Begin cussing fit.

28) Throw stupid crescent wrench.

29) Cuss for additional 5 minutes because wrench hit bowling trophy.

30) Beer.

31) Clean up hands and bandage as required to stop blood flow.

32) Beer.

33 ) Dump in five fresh quarts of oil.

34) Beer.

35) Lower car from jack stands.

36) Move car back to apply more kitty litter to fresh oil spilled during any missed steps.

37) Beer.

38) Test drive car.

39) Get pulled over: arrested for driving under the influence.

40) Car gets impounded.

41) Call loving wife, make bail.

42) 12 hours later, get car from impound yard.

Money spent:
Parts: $50.00
DUI: $2500.00
Impound fee: $75.00
Bail: $1500.00
Beer: $20.00
Total: $4,145.00
But you know the job was done right!
Just saw this.

This was such a long joke I fell asleep halfway through it....was so tired from reading I had to take a nap. http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/images/B..._face_grin.png

I don't know what state has an impound fee of only $75, here in CA is more like $500 if you get towed.

Good joke.
BMW_forever is offline  
post #27 of 28 Old Apr 17th, 2017, 9:48 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Jose, California, USA
Posts: 260
Re: Bosch 72161 oil filter WARNING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellenbenz View Post
I have put the 3330 and the 72161 side by side and they appear the same. Somewhere on the internet I read that they are the same but made in different countries...one in German the other in the USA.

They both will work in the LT and the R12OO RT....(longer than the RT OEM filter but no problem)

Ron

Hi Ron,

Just saw this post.

It looks like Rock Auto has the 72161 filter but it says it is 72161WS (Workshop). Is that the same filter as the 72161 filter for the K1200LT ??

Thank you.
BMW_forever is offline  
post #28 of 28 Old Apr 17th, 2017, 10:24 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 4,965
Re: Bosch 72161 oil filter WARNING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_forever View Post
Just saw this.

This was such a long joke I fell asleep halfway through it....was so tired from reading I had to take a nap. http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/images/B..._face_grin.png

I don't know what state has an impound fee of only $75, here in CA is more like $500 if you get towed.

Good joke.
Step 4 was forgotten in the women's section. Here it is:

4) Five miles later, improperly torqued drain plug falls out draining oil and ruining engine. Replacement cost $5,000.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

2007 K1200LT, VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator, K7MSW
Voyager is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bosch oil filter 72161 papaed K1200LT 5 Feb 12th, 2008 4:39 pm
2006 R1200 RT oil filter bmotorcycle RT Series 1 Jan 24th, 2008 7:40 am
Bosch Oil Filter Number for our LT's usmctpdog Bike Talk 28 Feb 19th, 2007 2:55 pm
Bosch Premium Oil Filter davek1 K1200LT 11 Aug 16th, 2006 8:15 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome