Collecting K1200LT Trivia - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 86 Old Nov 17th, 2005, 8:29 pm Thread Starter
Bouncer

Collecting K1200LT Trivia

Please participate. Results are anonymous.

Color Poll: What color is your K1200LT?

Year Poll: What year is your K1200LT

Age Poll: What is your age?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 86 Old Nov 27th, 2005, 4:34 am

Add wife poll

How many are two up???????????????????????????????????????????????? ?

Last edited by bigfoot.nolan; Nov 27th, 2005 at 4:35 am. Reason: They keep moving these keys
post #3 of 86 Old Jan 18th, 2007, 2:06 pm

Update Poll

Need the 2007 colors and year updated unless this poll is no longer needed?

post #4 of 86 Old Aug 18th, 2007, 5:33 pm

This topic is always at the top of my list even though I sort by date. I see it has a stick pin which I assume is why it does this. I don't care about this topic and would like to get it out of sight. How do I "unstick" it?

Matt
post #5 of 86 Old Aug 18th, 2007, 6:33 pm

How many have dropped the bike at least once?
rosmba, Chewbakker and Danno1 like this.

Greg

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #6 of 86 Old Aug 18th, 2007, 7:12 pm

How many LTs have you owned. That is 3 for me.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
03 Saab Convertible (other spare bike
)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #7 of 86 Old Sep 5th, 2007, 7:11 pm

Dropped mine once,while loading a fat girl! Needless to say, she don't get no more rides!
post #8 of 86 Old Sep 6th, 2007, 7:41 pm

Came close one day when I stalled the bike while turning left. If I had the wife on at the time I know I would not have been able to keep it up, But I was solo and lucky enough to manage it.

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

Need to stay awake

post #9 of 86 Old Nov 10th, 2007, 9:05 pm

drmshapow

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpolakow
I have dropped the bike more then once untill I got my custome wonderfull Corbin seat.
post #10 of 86 Old Nov 18th, 2007, 2:58 pm

Lightbulb dropped bike??

Were these bikes damaged by tipping over? ... Someone told me that they were designed with a special engine guard that will protect it if it's tipped over when stopped (obviously won't do much if you dump it while riding) ... Is this true?

Does the K1200LT sustain any damage at all from being tipped over while standing still?

Thanks
post #11 of 86 Old Dec 7th, 2007, 4:31 am

On a recent trip to the Eastern Cape I arrived at a small town called Heidelberg and parked the bike under a tree. What I did not see was that there was an indent in the ground under the front wheel.

As I stood up to get off the bike tipped forward and the frontwheel just rolled into that dip. I could do nothing else but to jump clear because the bike was fully loaded.

The bike ended on it's side ... exactly as the dealer told me it would ... the left bumper was on the ground and the two wheels touched ... nothing else.

My friend helped me pick the bike up and I parked it again. Zero damages apart from a bit of grime on the bumper.

That incident taught me a valuable lesson and since then I never get on or get off without holding the front brake.
Mark65 likes this.

A bad day on the bike beats a good day in the office.
post #12 of 86 Old Jan 7th, 2008, 1:34 pm

I dropped her once in Dinan ,France. Up a 1 in 5 cobbled medieval street - fine till I got to the top and had to stop to turn right. Stalled her just lay her gently down - no damage - not even a scuff to the rubber bumpers.
So far, thanks to the tips etc from this site ... and taking care with the slow stuff, only lay her down once. Hope that is not tempting fate.
post #13 of 86 Old Jan 25th, 2008, 5:50 pm

Exclamation Drop the bike

It's just a matter of time - and of course it always happens when there is a crowd to watch.
rosmba likes this.

Doug Laird

'13 R1200GSW
'10 R1200GS - Sold
'08 K1200LT
'05 K1200LT - Totaled from deer strike
'03 K1200LT - Traded
'71 TR6C (Original Owner) - Sold

IBA #27517 Blue Knights #44263
post #14 of 86 Old Jan 28th, 2008, 10:58 am

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpolakow
Only once but it was in front of the club I ride with.

The service manager at BMW of Scottsdale told me that there are only two kinds of LT riders: those who have dropped their LT and those that will.
post #15 of 86 Old Mar 19th, 2008, 9:47 pm

Re: Collecting K1200LT Trivia

Dropped it twice the first week, but not since thank goodness.

Proverbs 24:10 If you falter in times of trouble, how small is your strength!

Kingdaddy
post #16 of 86 Old Mar 21st, 2008, 1:53 pm

dropped outside the showroom just after being warned about it being heavy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by middlewich
I dropped her once in Dinan ,France. Up a 1 in 5 cobbled medieval street - fine till I got to the top and had to stop to turn right. Stalled her just lay her gently down - no damage - not even a scuff to the rubber bumpers.
So far, thanks to the tips etc from this site ... and taking care with the slow stuff, only lay her down once. Hope that is not tempting fate.
Mark65 likes this.
post #17 of 86 Old Apr 11th, 2008, 1:41 pm

I guess I'm not the only clumsy one. I dropped mine coming into the garage, and scratched the lower engine cover. I was so mad I reached over and picked up the bike like it was my CRF. No wonder I was sore the next day!
post #18 of 86 Old Apr 27th, 2008, 2:47 pm

almost dropped her, the first week. a housewife in an suv ( cell phone in hand ) in a parking lot, backed out into my path, i tried to turn her too quickly left. my wife on back, got to hear me say something i've never uttered in 40 plus years of riding...... HELP ME !!!!!! she and i, together, kept the bike from hitting pavement. she is, by far the heaviest bike i've ever ridden.
post #19 of 86 Old Apr 30th, 2008, 1:54 pm

I haven't dropped mine yet.
6'1" and 245 probably help along with 35 years riding.
I won't be too suprised or mad when I do though.

Ride safe
post #20 of 86 Old May 24th, 2008, 6:44 pm

Dropped it my second day of ownership right in the driveway.....LAST WEEK

Now I know better than to back out of the garage two up and try to turn around on a hill. No biggie
post #21 of 86 Old May 29th, 2008, 9:49 am

Sort of dropped mine when putting her up on the center stand. She went over and I laid her against the wall knocking off my mirror. Luckily, I popped the mirror back on but have yet to repair the sheet rock. No damage to the bike though. By the way, this is my first post. I have a 2002 LTC with 32K. I've owned her for a year now. Really enjoy the forum!
post #22 of 86 Old Jul 30th, 2008, 6:42 pm

Re: dropped bike??

Droped my 09 twice once on each side no damage at all
post #23 of 86 Old Jul 31st, 2008, 4:10 pm

Dropped the LT on the left side in DEEP sand while on a trip to Baja. No apparent damage. About a year later I'd stopped in the middle of nowhere to get gas and when I pulled out of the station and tried to shift in to second gear I couldn't find the shift lever with my foot. Pulled over and discovered that the gear shift lever, for lack of a better term, was hanging straight down and apparently no attached to anything. Too much money to have the bike hauled to Reno or Las Vegas ($900) so I called Scott McKay the service manager at Sierra BMW, Reno, and he told me how to shift the bike in to a gear and ride it back to Reno. I selected third gear and the next morning rode 200+ miles in third gear at 50 mph. Got great gas mileage but the cars passing me at 85 mph on Highway 50 didn't make for a fun trip. If you've dropped the bike on the left side on a soft surface I'd check the linkage before riding too far.

Doug Laird

'13 R1200GSW
'10 R1200GS - Sold
'08 K1200LT
'03 K1200LT - Traded

post #24 of 86 Old Jul 31st, 2008, 4:13 pm

If you haven't dropped the LT you're not riding much! Or put another way it's just a matter of time. Why is it that the "drop" always happens when there is a crowd around to watch?

Doug Laird

'13 R1200GSW
'10 R1200GS - Sold
'08 K1200LT
'03 K1200LT - Traded

post #25 of 86 Old Aug 4th, 2008, 9:46 am

Smile Re: Collecting K1200LT Trivia

I just bought my new 2009 K1200LT!!!
I've already dumped it twice. Fortunately the rubber and crome bumpers took most of the damage. Is there anyway to replace these?

Also, any hints from other first time buyers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Steve
post #26 of 86 Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 8:28 pm

Dumped my 2001 LT on the first ride after I bought it. I was so embarrassed that I picked it straight up with my lady friend still on the back seat.
Second time I dropped it was just 2 weeks ago. Set the side stand on a rock or something and she was down before I could get off. I tried the "back up to it trick" that I read about on this site. Took me over 10 days for the pulled muscle in my back to feel better. I found that going front to the bike with a hand full of hand grip and the other hand full of grab bar I could set the big pig up. Lucky me, noone saw, of course that also meant no one to help.
Luv the Brick. I bought it off my brother 2 1/2 years ago. The bike had about 8k miles on it and I just got her back from getting the 24k service.
post #27 of 86 Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 10:39 pm

Yes, the "rubber and chrome bumpers," aka tip over bar covers, are very easy to replace by removing screws on the underside. Easy, but not cheap. Part numbers may be found at http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/faq.php?...aq_partnumbers

Before replacing the damaged parts, make sure that the bar inside (tip over bar) that bolts onto the frame isn't bent.

As far as other hints, keep reading posts and check out the FAQs. This forum is a wealth of knowledge and info.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartypants
I just bought my new 2009 K1200LT!!!
I've already dumped it twice. Fortunately the rubber and crome bumpers took most of the damage. Is there anyway to replace these?

Also, any hints from other first time buyers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Steve

John Richardson
--keeper of "The Beast"
2k Champagne LTC
Salem, OR.
post #28 of 86 Old Sep 5th, 2008, 3:15 pm

Smile Re: Collecting K1200LT Trivia

I was on the ferry to Nelson B.C. when I just about tipped my K1200LTE .The ferry was just pulling into the dock so I took it off the side stand. Just before the ferry stopped it jerked to the rght and then to the left. The people on either side of me and my wife were the only things that saved me from going over both ways. From now on I'm going to leave the bike on the stand until the ferry is stopped and the unloading ramp is in place.
post #29 of 86 Old Nov 17th, 2008, 9:23 pm

I hadn't owned the LT for a full 24 hours yet, I was going to Colorado from Gainesville Fl and stopped for gas in Pensacola. I finished filling up and moved forward under a tree to get out of the sun for a while, not being used to the side stand I didn't have it all the down when I put the bikes weight on it of course the bike just rolled forward and down on it's side. No damage just my ego when I had to go back to the gas station and ask for help to get it upright.

Ralph
2000 LT Burgandy
post #30 of 86 Old Nov 19th, 2008, 3:23 pm

I dropped mine on approach to the driveway of the Iron Horse Motorcycle Resort in Stecoah, NC. The person riding ahead of me veered way out into the oncoming lane before making her turn into the driveway. I was watching her, I suppose, and not paying attention to myself. I really don't know what happened. I couldn't have stalled it. I remember shutting it off after it fell. The right mirror assembly broke - had to purchase a new one - was able to salvage the mirror itself though. Had sore ribs and shoulder for a few days - hurt pride was the worst! I thought sure SHE was going down and not me!!!

~Stephanie
'03 LTE Anthracite, "Zelda"
post #31 of 86 Old Nov 19th, 2008, 5:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
Sorry Matt, It was made "Sticky" intentionally, and is so for everyone.
Yes, I sort of figured that was the case. Bummer. Pretty soon the first view of the forum will sticky topics and I'll have to go to page 2 to see anything new and interesting.

2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise"
VOICE II
Navigator V
Motorrad Communicator
post #32 of 86 Old Jan 4th, 2009, 11:55 pm

Talking Re: Collecting K1200LT Trivia

Boy do I feel bad. Everyone talking about the time they dropped their bike. How about times. Note to whomever: if you have droped your bike more than once take a look at that bar under the wing. It may need to be replaced. It is made to give rather than brake the frame.
I went down once at around 25mph after hitting some antefreez in the road. Got high sided pritty bad. Hurt me for two months but I had the bike fixed myself in two weeks. It takes that long to get parts.
post #33 of 86 Old Jan 14th, 2009, 6:53 pm

Smile Re: dropped bike??

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKTzero
Were these bikes damaged by tipping over? ... Someone told me that they were designed with a special engine guard that will protect it if it's tipped over when stopped (obviously won't do much if you dump it while riding) ... Is this true?

Does the K1200LT sustain any damage at all from being tipped over while standing still?

Thanks

I have dropped mine 3 or 4 times on pavement while standing still and it doesn't roll over. It rests at a 45 degree angle. It doesn't seem to have done it any harm except for the underside of the black plastic part that it rests on. I dropped it on a rough road and it scuffed it a bit but it's not vissible unless you get right down on the ground looking for it. I assume that the part is replaceble
post #34 of 86 Old Jan 14th, 2009, 10:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colyn
On a recent trip to the Eastern Cape I arrived at a small town called Heidelberg and parked the bike under a tree. What I did not see was that there was an indent in the ground under the front wheel.

As I stood up to get off the bike tipped forward and the frontwheel just rolled into that dip. I could do nothing else but to jump clear because the bike was fully loaded.

The bike ended on it's side ... exactly as the dealer told me it would ... the left bumper was on the ground and the two wheels touched ... nothing else.

My friend helped me pick the bike up and I parked it again. Zero damages apart from a bit of grime on the bumper.

That incident taught me a valuable lesson and since then I never get on or get off without holding the front brake.

i will add to that... i have always been told never...never get off the bike without it in gear... i have a 2003lt.. so no auto center stand... one day at work i was on a slight angle...had the bike in 1st gear... jumped off while it was on the side stand... and it rolled about an inch... just enough for it to fall... best to put the bike in gear..and let it do its thing before getting off...once it has rolled as far as it is going to ... it should not do any more moving... i am still a bit paranoid though...kirk
post #35 of 86 Old Jan 14th, 2009, 10:57 pm

on one of the occasions...there were 3 ..mine fell...i replaced the chrome plastic bumper guard on the rt. rear saddle bag... that costs about $130. and does not include the reflector... but the reflector is easily removed and held in place with double sided tape...
post #36 of 86 Old Feb 14th, 2009, 12:20 am

drop mine twice. 1st when my lt is just a week old and not use to reversing the behemoth. 2nd while on the sidestand.
post #37 of 86 Old Feb 14th, 2009, 8:45 am

I think it would be interesting to re-run this poll since the original data is going on 5 years old. It would be interesting to see what's changed in that time. Perhaps one of you experts could set that up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #38 of 86 Old May 24th, 2009, 11:46 pm

Once....so far....I stopped the bike on a small country road, put the kickstand down and started to get off....then the weight started shifting left as the bike started rolling forward and the kickstand began to go back.....I caught it with a little bit of strain and the use of the front brake. I re-set the kickstand...or so I thought....whilst leaving the engine running. Ran back to pick up the item that fell and as I got about 20 feet from the bike on the way back all I could do was cringe as I saw it settle and the engine shut off by itself. Country roads aren't the smoothest and the gravel chewed into the left black bumper and scratched the rear chrome bumper.

Here's the lesson, DO NOT get off the bike and leave the engine running, park facing up to the center of the road where it is "crowned" (if on a country/less travelled road), and leave the bike in gear....it'll start when you get back!

Ride safe!

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

2004 Desert Tan M2A3 (Jul 2005 - Apr 2008)

post #39 of 86 Old May 25th, 2009, 12:50 am

I've dropped mine once and I experienced the most interesting range of emotions. I was embarrassed to have such a pretty motorcycle in such an awkward position yet I was waving my arms in the air like an idiot going Yes! Yes! It finally happened. Pretty sure the GW rider who came back to check to make sure that nobody was hurt probably thought I was daft. I was actually very happy that the event had finally occurred. I've thought quite a bit about how I'm going to handle the "crowd" next time. Something like "Yeah I'm OK. Not much you can do though when they get tired and decide to take a nap! I think I'll just give her a couple more minutes rest and get her back on her feet". Or something along these lines. The trick will be to deliver the message in a deadpan manner without smiling. Remember, if damage has been done it is already done. Getting PO'd isn't going to mitigate any damage so you had just as well enjoy the moment.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #40 of 86 Old Jul 15th, 2009, 8:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe

I'd like to see data reagrding the number of miles LT owners ride.
I rode mine 12,000 the first year I bought it.

- Al
2004 Black
post #41 of 86 Old Aug 6th, 2009, 12:58 pm

I was in my garage with the LT parked between my other two bikes. It was my second day of ownership and my first attempt to take it off the center stand. Well, she got away from me and fell into my M109R and knocked it over. I was so embarrased because my wife was there watching, and now I have two bikes to pick-up. Getting the LT back up was quite an effort and I don't think I could have done it by myself. In comparison, my 720 pound M109R felt "light" and was easy to pick up by myself. Lesson learned.

My current bikes:
2002 K1200LT
2006 Ducati S2R1000
2007 Suzuki M109R
post #42 of 86 Old Aug 6th, 2009, 11:46 pm
Underwater or On-A-Bike

Dropped mine during an MSF class - right in front of the class. Left it in 2nd gear during an accelerate/braking exercise, and when I went to take off again (still in 2nd gear), it chugged, lurched, and I lost control.

Bruce Yates - Y3K on board!
Bellevue, WA (near sunny Seattle
)
2013 dark graphite K1600GTL "Tiger Shark"
(RIP - totaled by idiot cage driver)

2000 K1200LTc "Salsa" (sold to my buddy, Mel)
2012 midnight blue Vespa GTS 300ie (Cheri's)

(photography)

(new blog)

2001 CCR - Hot Springs, AR
2002 CCR - Santa Fe, NM
2003 CCR - Gatlinburg, TN
2004 CCR - Breckenridge, CO
2005 CCR - Jackson Hole, WY
2006 CCR - Braselton, GA
2009 CCR - Rapid City, SD
2011 CCR - Boise, ID

"If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields
post #43 of 86 Old Aug 7th, 2009, 1:05 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Yates
Dropped mine during an MSF class - right in front of the class. Left it in 2nd gear during an accelerate/braking exercise, and when I went to take off again (still in 2nd gear), it chugged, lurched, and I lost control.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Captain%20Obvious%201%20DUH%20%20finished%20copy.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	23999  

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #44 of 86 Old Nov 17th, 2009, 8:23 pm
jsb

So far, I've only had an "almost". Actually have no idea how I saved it. With wife on back, came to a stop sign and made the big mistake of coming to a stop on a downhill with the wheel turned to the right. Strained a muscle in my arm, but kept it up.
post #45 of 86 Old Feb 26th, 2010, 8:33 am

I rode a 1984 Goldwing for years before stepping up to my '02 LT. Well, I dropped the Goldwing exactly once in about 13 years. I have dropped the LT about 5 times, all at standstill or close to it, no damage except when I dropped it in my garage trying to position it for winter storage!

The worst time was when I was on a 4000 mile trip from Boston to Newfoundland. I was on the Avon peninsula, after riding all day, exhausted on my way to the B&B. I missed my turn, had to pull into a gas station to turn around. As it happened, I had been riding so long that my legs were "asleep"-not tingly, but just tired. The bike was loaded to the gills (all my camping gear etc!) and when I came to a stop, I just could not hold her upright. Had to offload everything (thank goodness for the bag liners)-AND ask for help...

From that same trip I came to appreciate my lack of hydraulic center stand...I just could not get her up on the center stand when fully loaded.

Back then I also did not understand how reverse gear worked (for the longest time I did not understand that the engine had to be RUNNING for reverse to work...did not make sense to me! ).

As far as dropping goes, I think it is mostly related to using the front brake. I have learned how to ease off the front brake and use only the rear when completing the stop, and have had no trouble since then!

Peter
2002 K1200LTE (July 4, 2008)-"Dragonfly"
1984 Goldwing Aspencade-"The Mighty Pickle" (think of Arlo Guthrie)
1982 Yamaha Maxim 750-"Little Pickle" (sometimes "Gherkin")
1980 Honda 750 Four-utilitarian, classic
1978 Honda 450 Four-took it apart, couldn't put it back together...
1976 Suzuki GT 250-2 stroke screamer
post #46 of 86 Old Mar 7th, 2010, 4:18 pm

Yesterday, the first day I took a ride on my new to me lt...went a coupla' hundred miles to a stop sign...not paying particular attention...stopped and dropped! It was an eye opener. Of course, there was a p/u behind me...and a coupla' good old boys chewing tobacco to check up on me. Kinda' embarrassing. Never did that in 44 yrs of riding other bikes. Oh well! C'est la vie!
post #47 of 86 Old May 25th, 2010, 9:26 am

Dropped my 2000 twice in my first week of owning her and I have only had her for two weeks now. Once while getting her off the centerstand in the garage and once while pulling into a parking spot with my wife on the back, in front of a cycle shop, with 5 or 6 other riders milling around. Embarrassing to say the least. I have been working on NOT doing that again and I too think it has a lot to do with the front brake. I have been easing off the front brake while stopping and using the rear brake to complete the stop and so far it seems I have much better control. I am able to come to a complete stop with my foot on the brake and just drop my left foot to the ground and hold her up I had not owned nor rode a bike in about 20 years so I took a MSF course prior to getting my endorsement and the instructors really stressed the use of the front brake. Even though it had been 20 years, I remember some squirrelly things happening when using too much front brake. When I spoke with the instructor about this he was adamant about using the front brake in conjunction with the rear to complete the stop. In fact, on EVERY emergency stop procedure I performed, I was told to use more front break even though I completed the stop within time and distance requirements.This may work for some bikes, like the Beull 500 they supplied for us to take the course with, but I don't think it works too well for a large heavy bike like the LT. I am not saying anything bad about the course, it was very informative and after 20 years of not riding, I found it very valuable and learned some things I never knew.

2000 K1200LTI
post #48 of 86 Old May 25th, 2010, 12:55 pm

Wink Re: Collecting K1200LT Trivia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPearson
Dropped my 2000 twice in my first week of owning her and I have only had her for two weeks now. Once while getting her off the centerstand in the garage and once while pulling into a parking spot with my wife on the back, in front of a cycle shop, with 5 or 6 other riders milling around. Embarrassing to say the least. I have been working on NOT doing that again and I too think it has a lot to do with the front brake. I have been easing off the front brake while stopping and using the rear brake to complete the stop and so far it seems I have much better control. I am able to come to a complete stop with my foot on the brake and just drop my left foot to the ground and hold her up I had not owned nor rode a bike in about 20 years so I took a MSF course prior to getting my endorsement and the instructors really stressed the use of the front brake. Even though it had been 20 years, I remember some squirrelly things happening when using too much front brake. When I spoke with the instructor about this he was adamant about using the front brake in conjunction with the rear to complete the stop. In fact, on EVERY emergency stop procedure I performed, I was told to use more front break even though I completed the stop within time and distance requirements.This may work for some bikes, like the Beull 500 they supplied for us to take the course with, but I don't think it works too well for a large heavy bike like the LT. I am not saying anything bad about the course, it was very informative and after 20 years of not riding, I found it very valuable and learned some things I never knew.
Use of the front brake should be an automatic reflex to any seasoned Bike rider. The MSF Instructors are correct in their assertiveness in getting you to do so. That said, the LT is a little different with the Integrated brakes. My '00 does not have them and I am fine without, but even if I did have them, I would still use both front and rear brakes for stopping. Too many decades of doing so on many different Bikes for me to change now!

The big deal with the LT is to NOT have the front wheel turned any direction other than straight ahead when stopping and using the front brake! If you do have the wheel turned, and grab the brakes, she will take a nap!

After years of riding the LT I am still cogniscent of this possible trap, but I do use my front brakes routinely when coming to a stop. In fact, if the road is particularly rough, or possibly sloping the wrong way, I may use just the front brake for my last few feet prior to stopping just so I can put both feet down if needed.

My $.02,
John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #49 of 86 Old May 25th, 2010, 1:09 pm

Thanks for the input John, I will work on that.

2000 K1200LTI
post #50 of 86 Old May 25th, 2010, 3:45 pm
FrP

I'm interested what your advice would be in the event that half-way through a turn you are suddenly confronted with an unexpected object orother interference. The impulse is to grab the front brake. I had to do this with my LT on at least two occasions . Though it didn't go down, I did get a heck of a wobble in the bars and immediately released the brake handle. The braking was enough to avoid the object and I was able to regain control of the bike. BUT I'm left with the suspicion that rear braking in those instances might be a better option. With my bike, it seems the rear brake has a softer effect on the stopping of the bike...not as violent and abrupt as the front brake is capable of effecting.

I'm like the other rider regarding this. I was taught in MSF to use both brakes every time, but I'm really wondering if that is the best advice with a top-heavy bike halfway through a turn in an emergency stop. Wondering and not sure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.