Collecting K1200LT Trivia - Page 2 - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 86 Old Jun 15th, 2010, 7:15 am

Cool Re: Collecting K1200LT Trivia

Yes, I'd be lying if I said I didn't.

Once at a fuel stop after a long day in 100 degree + heat..... (yes, I know, hydrate hydrate hydrate) off the bike, finished fueling, screwed on the cap, locked it, pushed the cover down....... which was apparently enough to set things in motion. Don't know if I did not have the side stand fully extended, or there was a slight grade...... at any rate, she laid down on her left side and napped. Fortunately for me, she fell over away from the pump. THAT could have been nasty otherwise. And there were a couple of helpful (snickering) much appreciated guys around who helped me pick her up.

Then there was the little old gal in a restaurant parking lot while I was out bumming around one fine Sunday afternoon. Not too many folks in the place, I parked out front mid lot. As I was sitting inside eating, a young girl walked over to me nervously and asked if that was my motorcycle in the parking lot. I acknowledged that it was. She took a deep breath, closed her eyes and said, loud enough for everyone to hear, heh, "my grandmother just backed over your motorcycle", turned and ran out the door. You could have heard a pin drop in the place. I'm sure I looked like I was shedding my skin from the brief period of convulsions that followed. heh No damage, apparently it was just enough knock it over on it's right side. It did scratch the shiny piece on the luggage door...... oh well, battle scars. I wear it with pride. Gives me a chuckle every time I look at it, can't imagine the horror that must have been for her granddaughter to have to walk in and tell me that. heh

I believe it's a good thing to drop the LT occasionally, it knocks the dirt loose from the air and fuel filters and prolongs their service life, aye. heh

K

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 86 Old Jun 15th, 2010, 4:54 pm

Re: Collecting K1200LT Trivia

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrP
I was taught in MSF to use both brakes every time, but I'm really wondering if that is the best advice with a top-heavy bike halfway through a turn in an emergency stop.
In general, the braking in a turn has to be done according to the avoiding action you're going to take: if you need to straighten up and pick an outer line to avoid the obstacle, then use the front brake which will raise the bike. If you need to close the turn and pick an inner line, then use the rear brake.

If you're in a real emergency and just need to STOP, straighten up the bike and brake as hard as possible with both brakes, in this order

This said, the LT is a bit peculiar for two reasons: it has ABS (thus helping a bit to avoid sliding) and it has an integral braking system, which applies BOTH brakes regardless of what you select, when you push hard on the brake lever/pedal. Prevalence is given to the brake you choose (front or rear) so the general rule mentioned above is still somehow valid

'06 K 1200 LT - Dark Graphite
'05 Cagiva Navigator 1000 (sold)
'90 Kawasaki ZX10 (sold)
'82 Moto Guzzi V35 II (sold)
'82 Benelli Export 3V
post #53 of 86 Old Dec 13th, 2010, 6:42 pm

Its not a question of "if" you've dropped the bike....but rather"when"......She has a tendency to lean over from time to time...ESPECIALLY in front of a crowd!!

post #54 of 86 Old Dec 13th, 2010, 10:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpolakow
How many have dropped the bike at least once?
I dropped the 99 at least twice, oncw with my wife on board, ... no damage to us or it. I've dropped the 02 once, crossing wet grass is a no...no.

H. W. Sonny Jones
post #55 of 86 Old Feb 4th, 2011, 12:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL66658
Its not a question of "if" you've dropped the bike....but rather"when"......She has a tendency to lean over from time to time...ESPECIALLY in front of a crowd!!
A life time of owning kick start motorcycles, and I still do, has taught me a simple rule of thumb. " The number of kicks it takes to start a motorcycle will always equal the number of people watching you try to start it"
Kemosabi likes this.

When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all.
Colonel. Theodore Roosevelt

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who would do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. Albert Einstein
post #56 of 86 Old Feb 12th, 2011, 12:36 pm

The first time is a big surprise, but after that you know exactly what is happening and why--slightly down hill parking, side stand not fully extended, grass (no-no mentioned above), left foot slips on gravel, too sharp a turn at creep to the left uphill, positioning in the garage for winter on oil slick floor--that just about takes care of the six or seven times the three LT's I have owned have been over. Always embarrassing. Once I got it up by my self (I saw a woman do it in a video: face away from the bike and lift from behind) but then it can easily heel over on the other side. Bottom line: never any damage beyond a few scuffs on the roll bars. There are only two kinds of LT owners--those who have laid it down and those who will.

Rocketbike
post #57 of 86 Old Jul 15th, 2011, 5:39 pm

I had not had Charlotte(thats her name, it's a long story) three weeks when I dropped her trying to back into a severely sloped parking spot. There was a very good breakfast place we were going to. There were four good things that happened.No.1 I had watched the video on how to get her back up. No.2. My adrenelin was high. No.3.My wife was there to help. No.4. It was 10 o'clock A.M., the biker bar across the street didn't open 'till noon!!! JW
post #58 of 86 Old Apr 11th, 2012, 4:12 am

Re: drmshapow

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmshapow
I have dropped the bike more then once untill I got my custome wonderfull Corbin seat.
Did that seat substantially get your feet lower to the ground or what?
post #59 of 86 Old Apr 11th, 2012, 1:00 pm

Re: drmshapow

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmshapow
I have dropped the bike more then once untill I got my custome wonderfull Corbin seat.

(posted by drmshapow Nov 10th, 2007 9:05 pm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCCCC1
Did that seat substantially get your feet lower to the ground or what?
You do realize that the post you responded to is almost five years old and that it is the only post the OP ever made on this site (under that name, anyway).

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #60 of 86 Old Aug 13th, 2012, 10:59 am

How about a couple sites for parts(new, seat lift strut) oil filters and o-rings)?
post #61 of 86 Old Aug 13th, 2012, 5:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassviking
How about a couple sites for parts(new, seat lift strut) oil filters and o-rings)?
How does this fit the "trivia" theme?

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #62 of 86 Old Aug 13th, 2012, 6:47 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
How does this fit the "trivia" theme?
He's close to the bay area... 'nuff said!

To the OP.. (glassviking) ask a direct question... We love dog pil... Helping out the newbs!

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #63 of 86 Old Aug 14th, 2012, 10:14 am

Talking Re: Collecting K1200LT Trivia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLaird
If you haven't dropped the LT you're not riding much! Or put another way it's just a matter of time. Why is it that the "drop" always happens when there is a crowd around to watch?
Always a crowd. As I approached lights in a town close to where I live I slowed down to a crawl, doing my best not to put my feet down until the last possible second. My wife was on the back - under strict instruction not to wriggle. She did wriggle which caused me to over balance. the bike did not go to ground, but I had to gather all my strength not to let it go. I am 140kg in weight so I am used to lugging my own bulk about.

This did happen outside a doctors surgery, by an entrance to the town's main bus depot, I was in the middle lane of 3 - with a bus full of passengers behind. I couldn't make eye contact with any of the pedestrians after that until the lights turned green and I was away from there.

Could have been much worse.
post #64 of 86 Old Aug 14th, 2012, 3:28 pm

Is somebody passing around cool aid?

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

post #65 of 86 Old Dec 4th, 2013, 4:36 pm

30 minutes after I bought it. Got lost coming out of Charleston (headed for Pensacola), was making a U-turn on a standard-width two-lane, full lock to the left, foot down, crawling, applied the front brake unused to the servo, front wheel locked, and bike and I became a traffic obstacle.
post #66 of 86 Old Dec 4th, 2013, 4:38 pm

Re: dropped bike??

Ayup, but to repair the cosmetic damage to the covers over the guard bar is about $250 in parts.
post #67 of 86 Old Dec 23rd, 2013, 7:41 pm

Re: Add wife poll

Often.
post #68 of 86 Old Dec 23rd, 2013, 10:01 pm

Dropped my 02 in 02. Deep loose gravel on a new driveway (few scratches on lower portion of bag. Once more when I was parking it in my shop (left arm in a cast - only damage was to my pride)

cc_jensen
78 RT
83 K
97 RT
00 GS
01 RT
02 LT
post #69 of 86 Old Feb 20th, 2014, 9:33 pm

Looks as if I'm in the very thin section of 4% riders. I'll turn 76 on 2/25 and plan on riding that day. I own a '99LT and a 'new' 2007LT and love them both. And I still ride the KLR65 from time to time and loved it on the TAT when I was 70.

Rode this afternoon with the wife to the club meeting and it was funny that our safety director, Casey, did a piece on things that aging riders have to be aware of... like reduced reaction times, night blindness, fatigue and not being able to ride long distances without a rest every hour or so. We were sitting near him as he spoke and he was looking and almost laughing at me. I'm sorta known as the old man that's an exception. I still ride a KLR650 in the dirt and have done 2 Saddle Sore 1000 in the past 2+ years.

I don't know where I get the stamina to still do it. Maybe it's the new plumbing about 3 years ago, maybe it's dementia and I don't know I can't do it, but I plan to keep on until I just drop. Not the bike... me. The LT's just make you want to keep going, and that's a good thing in my book.

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

post #70 of 86 Old Feb 20th, 2014, 9:42 pm

Way to go, Tom!

It's the riding that keeps you young, never stop the riding and you'll be fine for many more years to come

Happy Birthday, by the way

'06 K 1200 LT - Dark Graphite
'05 Cagiva Navigator 1000 (sold)
'90 Kawasaki ZX10 (sold)
'82 Moto Guzzi V35 II (sold)
'82 Benelli Export 3V
post #71 of 86 Old Apr 12th, 2014, 8:43 pm

The 1st time was just today at a PGR mission in Rolla, Mo. Side stand won't stay down on a slight downhill grade. I learned from a new friend to leave it gear.
post #72 of 86 Old May 7th, 2014, 7:23 am

Garage
Thumbs up Re: MANUALS & OTHER PDF'S ALL MAKES & MODELS

A useful website with hundreds of manuals and other PDF files for all makes & models.

Link Here

Regards Sparkx
post #73 of 86 Old Aug 14th, 2014, 9:21 pm

Garage
Smile Re: Collecting K1200LT Trivia

After riding the '03 Harley Ultra Classic, my 08 LT is a real joy. The HD was top heavy and wanted to go over frequently and it did. It handled like a boxcar with handlebars. Have not dropped the LT (yet) mostly becuz being conditioned to watch it so closely with the HD. Really very pleased with the LT. Amazing comfort, handling, & power.

Brown Dog
post #74 of 86 Old Mar 21st, 2015, 6:55 am

Not LT, not even BMW, but a "drop" story: 1985 or so, son on a Yamaha Seca 750, me on a Suzuki 850, riding south from Princeton to Mobile. Son a few cars ahead of me at the first toll booth to New Jersey Turnpike. He pulls up, puts a foot down in the puddle of oil and transmission fluid, goes down. Gets off, is now standing in the puddle. Tries to lift bike. Instead his feet spread and he jacks himself down instead of jacking the bike up. Tries several times, same results. I'm howling with laughter. This kid wasn't a dummy -- Princeton in three years and Magna Cum Laude -- but every once in a while . . . .
RIP, 12/25/93 -- passenger in a car crash.
post #75 of 86 Old Oct 3rd, 2015, 4:01 am

OH, man, funny story, with the saddest twist.

My condolences, Sir.

Mark

Mark(Big Poppa) and Julie(Fireball)
'06 K1200LT Magnesium Black "Stella"
Glendale, AZ
BMWMOA#206887
post #76 of 86 Old Jan 4th, 2016, 7:27 am

I have a 2002. It is multiple shades of gold/tan. I will be 50 next week. I ride with my daughter nearly every day. I pack in a HUGE load of her school books and such. I haul so much weight that maybe I should have gone for the K-350 Dually option.

I haven't laid her down yet, but she has fallen over a couple of times. It broke a mirror and a footpeg. The only real problem I have had was that issue with the Hall sensor.

The Halster

post #77 of 86 Old Jan 10th, 2016, 10:37 am

I am 60. I have been riding since my first dirt bike in the mid 60s. This is by far the most top heavy machine I have even been on. Dropped it within 5 minutes of buying it. Have had it over twice now and I have had two or three close calls in addition. The most recent on a section of the street that they were grinding down to repave. I am going to pull the trunk off from it to see if that will help, but have had no luck locating one of those luggage racks to replace it. They tell me that will help.

Rick Smith
Hagerstown, MD
post #78 of 86 Old Jan 10th, 2016, 10:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post
After riding the '03 Harley Ultra Classic, my 08 LT is a real joy. The HD was top heavy and wanted to go over frequently and it did. It handled like a boxcar with handlebars. Have not dropped the LT (yet) mostly becuz being conditioned to watch it so closely with the HD. Really very pleased with the LT. Amazing comfort, handling, & power.

Brown Dog
interesting, I had a older full dresser for a few years and my buddy has the same bike as you, only a year newer and I find both to be less top heavy and easier to handle at low speed than my 02 LT. Have never dropped a harley and I have owned 3 of them.

Rick Smith
Hagerstown, MD
post #79 of 86 Old May 1st, 2016, 5:04 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

...That does it! Along with the new windshield, exhaust, extra rear drive...I'm getting training wheels!
post #80 of 86 Old May 17th, 2016, 3:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldus View Post
...That does it! Along with the new windshield, exhaust, extra rear drive...I'm getting training wheels!
...thought I was being funny, then my new cycle mag came and they sell them at $3500 a pop for HD machines. The wheels extend as you slow under 5mph...none available for LTs...
post #81 of 86 Old May 17th, 2016, 3:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldus View Post
...thought I was being funny, then my new cycle mag came and they sell them at $3500 a pop for HD machines. The wheels extend as you slow under 5mph...none available for LTs...
Yep, sure are. Google Ghost Wheels. Several Forum members have installed 'em in the past.
post #82 of 86 Old Jan 20th, 2017, 6:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe View Post
Please participate. Results are anonymous.

Color Poll: What color is your K1200LT? - BMW Luxury Touring Community wife tells me it blie / grey

Year Poll: What year is your K1200LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community 2006

Age Poll: What is your age? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
sprouted 1954
post #83 of 86 Old Jan 20th, 2017, 6:11 pm

yep 3 time since i picked it up in June 2016
post #84 of 86 Old Jan 29th, 2017, 6:35 am

Charcoal/Champagne

post #85 of 86 Old Apr 23rd, 2017, 9:00 pm

Garage

Dropped twice in 2 days. Only had it 3... 3rd day was all rain, so it stayed parked.

First drop was 10 min after I drove it away. Hilly back road, slight drizzle, and didn't get my feet down quick enough. Did manage to slow the fall to the left and no damage done.

Second, uneven parking space, rolled it off the center stand and once she started leaning, there was little I could do to keep it from laying over on the right. Again I did manage to slow the fall and avoid any damage.

Will take a bit of getting used to since my daily driver is half the weight.
post #86 of 86 Old May 24th, 2017, 12:19 pm

Ive had my 2003 K1200LTE for a week. I'm not warm and fuzzy with the extemely sensitive brake system. I'm used to "meh" brakes on most of the bikes I've owned. I've had to stab both legs down as I was trying to crawl through traffic because I couldn't modulate smoothly. I'm not looking forward to the day the bike goes down.

I've been on the ground 7 or so times in 35 years. The latest was on my 1990 K100LT. At a stop sign. I came to a complete stop. Put my foot down. No traction - fine sand. I had that horrible slow motion bike-fall-down-and-I-can't-stop-it moment. I got off with the bike still running, leaned hard into it and got it upright. Looked around, and nobody was looking even though there were dozens of people in the area. No damage, other than my pride. The engine guard took the weight just fine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.