K1200LT Issues? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 8:17 am Thread Starter

K1200LT Issues?

Im interested in knowing what issues you might have had with your K1200LT (anything big or small) and what was done to fix it. Mine seems to have been plagued so I wonder if anyone else is having trouble out here. Also interested in knowing what the year and mileage of your LT is and kind of milage you have before any engine trouble repairs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 8:47 am

Garage
Wink

Engine troubles are rare. The final drives seem to be the Achilles Heel with the LT.

If you can elaborate on your comment that your bike is "plagued" with issues, it might help.

All in all, the LT is as dependable as any other motorcycle out on the market today. People who occasionally visit this site often get the impression that the LT is a horrible, unreliable bike. That is because those who use this site are meticulously trying to analyze and over analyze their machines. The over analyzation (is this a word?) is meant as a means to bond with others LT zealots (meself included
).

That is not to say the BMW does not produce lemons. Harley, Honda and Kawa all produce the occasional hunk of junk as well. You may very well have one. As my old man used to say "better hope you're getting something built first thing at 9 am on a Monday rather than a last one of the day 4:45 special built on a Friday."

What problems are you experiencing?

BTW, you user name- very negative.

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #3 of 37 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 10:47 am
Lifetime Supporter

You also might mention whether you purchased new or used. If used, are you confident all maintenance was performed on schedule and by a competent technician?

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)

post #4 of 37 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 11:27 am

I gather you are not happy with BMW. If this is true, cut and run ASAP!!!

There are many bikes to choose from in this world. It's a short life and one has to be happy about acquisitions in life or spend precious time in misery if not.

Good luck...
post #5 of 37 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 11:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVB1019
Engine troubles are rare. The final drives seem to be the Achilles Heel with the LT.

If you can elaborate on your comment that your bike is "plagued" with issues, it might help.

All in all, the LT is as dependable as any other motorcycle out on the market today. People who occasionally visit this site often get the impression that the LT is a horrible, unreliable bike. That is because those who use this site are meticulously trying to analyze and over analyze their machines. The over analyzation (is this a word?) is meant as a means to bond with others LT zealots (meself included
).

That is not to say the BMW does not produce lemons. Harley, Honda and Kawa all produce the occasional hunk of junk as well. You may very well have one. As my old man used to say "better hope you're getting something built first thing at 9 am on a Monday rather than a last one of the day 4:45 special built on a Friday."

What problems are you experiencing?

BTW, you user name- very negative.

I hate to say it but my LT will probably be my last BMW. In my opinion, it's a decent bike but has too many problems. It's my own fault, I got sucked into the whole BMW quality speech. I thought the higher initial cost and nameplate would buy me some piece of mind knowing that the bike would hold up better.
I was thinking about the GT, now I'm reading about rear drive issues. Sure, the reviews have been great, Cycle World just listed it as the best sport tourer. I'm just not prepared to take another chance. I'd rather take my chances with the new Kawasaki Councours.
I know there are plenty guys out there pounding miles with no problems, I can only speak of my experience. It's hard for me to defend a company that refuses to acknowledge, correct or even admit of a mistake that could cause death or great harm to the user. I'm disappointed with their product...
post #6 of 37 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 11:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanforn
a mistake that could cause death or great harm to the user.
What mistake is that then? I don't know of any "dangerous" mistake. I remember there was some troll recently complaining he was unable to perform circus tricks on his LT and so decided the bike was too dangerous to ride. Perhaps you could enlighten us?

Just pussin' through.
post #7 of 37 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 12:03 pm

Tom,

If you can provide some details on your problem I bet someone here can tell you what is likely wrong with your bike. The engine seems to be one of the stong points with the bike but small things like vacuum leaks or even a clogged fuel vapor cannister can cause problems.

Let us know what your symptoms are and we'll try to help out. There are several riders not too far from you that may be able to lend a hand also.

Good Luck,
Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
post #8 of 37 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 12:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajlelectronics
What mistake is that then? I don't know of any "dangerous" mistake. I remember there was some troll recently complaining he was unable to perform circus tricks on his LT and so decided the bike was too dangerous to ride. Perhaps you could enlighten us?

Awfully defensive there aren't we? If you feel as that things such as rear drives failing and spewing lube on the rear tire and OEM valve stems fracturing are commonplace and safe, you sir deserve a Darwin Award.
post #9 of 37 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 12:14 pm

May I make a suggestion, that I will probably get chastised by this, but I would grab your favorite drink(s), and digest this web site for a couple of days. You will find more than enough information to answer your non-specific questions.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #10 of 37 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 12:39 pm

My 02 LTC was the last BMW I'd buy..

Until I bought my 06 K12S, thats the last bmw I'll buy...

Until I buy the next one!!

I don't know if anyone has had more warranty claims then me on both bikes (just my luck I guess)...I just got my S back a few weeks ago after 2 months in the shop, bad tranny, clutch and basket, a $4k bill to BMW from my dealer for that work.

I like all kinds of bikes, but I own no cage and IMHO there is nothing better (for me anyway) out there to complete my mission on.

I think beemers just fit my buttz better or something..

The LTC is cool but this SSSSsss is the katzass for one-up riding, 15k on that baby now and I'll see 250k before I even think about dumping it.

All a matter of perspective I suppose...oh yeah, and how much loose change you have around, I've spent plenty on maintenance at the dealers since I let them take care of these bikes while I ride the snotoutta them
post #11 of 37 Old Jul 12th, 2007, 12:40 pm

I was hoping that going from HD to BMW would eliminate leaking seals, oil leaks.

But, every time I lean into a corner, I smile, remembering that if I hit a bump, I'm not going to have to fight a big change in the wheel base.

It will be interesting to know what bike you buy that you enjoy as much as the LT, that doesn't have any problems.

Oh. Guess I forgot to mention. Since its just me now in my house, and I rarely used my car, I took it "off the road" last year.

I get to LT every where now. I do my weekly grocery shopping at night, on my way home from my weekly ceramics class. Nice and cool around 9:30 PM, upper 80s.

Bob, 0h 0h LT

PS: I frequent here, because the main thrust is to share info, and solve problems.
post #12 of 37 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 8:27 am

Amen to that sentiment. I used this site as my main resource when looking at LTs. I found the known issues and was able to figure out sorta what I wanted to look for and a person on here actually emailed when he found (in his local classifieds) the bike I eventually bought. great group, more than willing to help and get folks moving. Even if we do still argue over which oil is best..... LOL

Randy
post #13 of 37 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 9:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastbmw4me
Im interested in knowing what issues you might have had with your K1200LT (anything big or small) and what was done to fix it. Mine seems to have been plagued so I wonder if anyone else is having trouble out here. Also interested in knowing what the year and mileage of your LT is and kind of milage you have before any engine trouble repairs.
Funny......One post from this dude-no specifics-and no follow up???
Forget Him.

Mike
post #14 of 37 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 11:06 am

I sometimes think that I would be happier with this bike or that. Then the thottle opens up, and that big black machine gets smaller, and more nimble. I am riding like an old man, passenger on, motor humming and I look at the speedo and it says 110, yikes, what happened to that old man cruiser that I bought. Why is this thing so fast and smooth, why do my HD riding friends want to stop every 2 hours, why do they drive so slow, why are those tractors they're riding so loud. No I won't buy another one, I'll probably buy 5 more.
post #15 of 37 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 11:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowofshoe
Funny......One post from this dude-no specifics-and no follow up???
I did think it smelled like the previous troll. The clues are all there. :-)

Just pussin' through.
post #16 of 37 Old Jul 13th, 2007, 11:57 am

I sometimes think that I would be happier with this bike or that. Then the thottle opens up, and that big black machine gets smaller, and more nimble. I am riding like an old man, passenger on, motor humming and I look at the speedo and it says 110, yikes, what happened to that old man cruiser that I bought. Why is this thing so fast and smooth, why do my HD riding friends want to stop every 2 hours, why do they drive so slow, why are those tractors they're riding so loud. No I won't buy another one, I'll probably buy 5 more.
post #17 of 37 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 1:33 pm Thread Starter

Details,,, you want details

I appreciate all your comments, good and bad. Since i did nothing to insult any of you, besides not being happy with a BMW (which I akin to the King's New Clothes Syndrome), i would like to say to the people who had nothing nice to say,,, get a life and relax! I do not have a lot of time to spend on these sites and will get on when I can. Also, I'm not here for your abuse, I got married for that purpose. As you noticed, I can be a little sarcastic too, so read on with a grain of salt and enjoy my misadventures! Just for the record, I am 47, riding since I was a kid, Licensed and riding every day since 16. I am a MSF Rider Coach and currently own 20 (soon to be 21, pssst don't tell my wife, I learned forgiveness is always easier to get than permission!) They range from small to large, old to new, 2 and 4 stroke, 2 and 3 wheel (5 if you count the trailer), 1 to 6 cylinder and a rotary thrown in for good measure, so I am up on riding. Here are the details of the BMW, I bought the bike new, with 17 miles on it (didnt want to buy any one elses junk). A friend also recommended it (who later sold his BMW and bought an 06 Wing and LOVES it! (We're NOT talking anymore, just kidding) Then I swallowed the dealers horror stories of the new Goldwings hook line and sinker and heard every good thing short of Ed McMahon coming to look for me if I bought the LT! It now has just under 18K with all services, including 18K (except for oil and filter, which I did with dealer purchased supplies and at 2K intervals except for 500 and 1000 miles the first two changes). I also changed the Rear oil at 200, 500 and 1000 miles and again at every oil change hearing of those horrors before hand. You should have seen the crap that came out at 200 miles, no wonder there are so many problems you hear about. I have since gone to synthetic in the rear, and it is clean every time, well worth the money in my opinion. Motor oil is still BMW 10-40 (non synthetic) except for one time trying 20-50 with no improvemnt in the smoking condition. The cruise control did not work from the time it left the parking lot, and a new one was ordered and installed. It still does not work properly under 40 degrees, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. I ride every day I can year round, except for snow and the day after because of antiskid. The Goldwing now shows 160K (thankfully I did not trade it) with just regular maintenance and a head gasket going while pulling a sidecar, a camper trailer and 3 people aboard on a HOT summer day last season. Back to the BMW... At 2 weeks in, and 400 miles, i hit a bump in the road, not a pot hole, a bump, and BOTH mirrors fell off scraping the road. When I returned to the dealer, i was told, "they do that"! they do that??? why wasnt this relayed to me BEFORE plunking down 18 grand of the banks hard stolen, errrr, earned, i meant earned money for this? Having a Goldwing with 100K on it at the time 80K of it mine), and the only thing that ever fell off of that was ME!!! Anyway, 2 dealer installed tie wraps on new mirrors and Im back in business,, so i think. A week later I return to the dealer, with what i think is a problem, the gas gage does not seem to ever go empty (dont you hate that?) The dealer reassures me I am just not used to the better gas mileage the Fuel injected bike gets over my 48 mpg Goldwing. Well, to make a short story long, a week later I run out of gas on the freeway with half tank on the gage and have to push the old girl almost half a mile to a gas station where it takes 6.02 gallons of gas. I return it to the dealer where they find the sender is crimped. For the record, the onboard computer says Im getting 34 MPG one up. I was notified of a recall and returned it for the work, something about fuel lines. When i got the bike back it would not run, it would stumble and stall and had NO power. I returned it 3 times for that and it still ran like crap. I also noticed the bike was smoking when you first start it. YES, i park it on the side stand, but why put one on if you cant use it. I do not have the strength to lift it in the center stand and I'll live with the "puff" of smoke. The "puff" got gradually longer and longer to the point where it smokes a half an hour PROFUSELY before tapering off. It will leave a thick trail of smoke for 5 miles when starting out. The dealer assures me this is normal for this bike and BMW will not authorize anything unless it is using 1 qt in a thousand miles. Now add to this, the shifter falling off, (again the dealer saying this is normal, he even gave me an extra part in case it happens again, guess i have to keep a cordless drill with a left handed drill bit in my toll case too now), the seat heater switch malfunctioning, frying my butt on a summer day to where I had to finsih the ride to the dealer riding on the passenger seat, the windshield stopping working, the radio cutting out (but never for the dealer according to them), the rims made of some sort of cream cheese, (i never saw a rim bend like these!), the continual saga of the dropping mirrors (how many times do yours fall off a day?), the front fork seals leaking, to which the dealer response was IMPOSSIBLE!!! I said then the turn signals must be leaking, would you just please fix it! Would you be happy with a bike like this? I can get on ANY of the other 19, (2 strokes included) and not have to put up with any of the grief this thing continues to plague me with. Now I ask again, what problems have you had, I know if I paid 18 grand for a bike I wouldnt want to admit to it either, but there must be others who's bikes have one or more symptoms like this.
post #18 of 37 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 2:10 pm

Quote:
I appreciate all your comments, good and bad. Since i did nothing to insult any of you, besides not being happy with a BMW (which I akin to the King's New Clothes Syndrome), i would like to say to the people who had nothing nice to say,,, get a life and relax! I do not have a lot of time to spend on these sites and will get on when I can. Also, I'm not here for your abuse, I got married for that purpose. As you noticed, I can be a little sarcastic too, so read on with a grain of salt and enjoy my misadventures! Just for the record, I am 47, riding since I was a kid, Licensed and riding every day since 16. I am a MSF Rider Coach and currently own 20 (soon to be 21, pssst don't tell my wife, I learned forgiveness is always easier to get than permission!) They range from small to large, old to new, 2 and 4 stroke, 2 and 3 wheel (5 if you count the trailer), 1 to 6 cylinder and a rotary thrown in for good measure, so I am up on riding. Here are the details of the BMW, I bought the bike new, with 17 miles on it (didnt want to buy any one elses junk). A friend also recommended it (who later sold his BMW and bought an 06 Wing and LOVES it! (We're NOT talking anymore, just kidding) Then I swallowed the dealers horror stories of the new Goldwings hook line and sinker and heard every good thing short of Ed McMahon coming to look for me if I bought the LT! It now has just under 18K with all services, including 18K (except for oil and filter, which I did with dealer purchased supplies and at 2K intervals except for 500 and 1000 miles the first two changes). I also changed the Rear oil at 200, 500 and 1000 miles and again at every oil change hearing of those horrors before hand. You should have seen the crap that came out at 200 miles, no wonder there are so many problems you hear about. I have since gone to synthetic in the rear, and it is clean every time, well worth the money in my opinion. Motor oil is still BMW 10-40 (non synthetic) except for one time trying 20-50 with no improvemnt in the smoking condition. The cruise control did not work from the time it left the parking lot, and a new one was ordered and installed. It still does not work properly under 40 degrees, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. I ride every day I can year round, except for snow and the day after because of antiskid. The Goldwing now shows 160K (thankfully I did not trade it) with just regular maintenance and a head gasket going while pulling a sidecar, a camper trailer and 3 people aboard on a HOT summer day last season. Back to the BMW... At 2 weeks in, and 400 miles, i hit a bump in the road, not a pot hole, a bump, and BOTH mirrors fell off scraping the road. When I returned to the dealer, i was told, "they do that"! they do that??? why wasnt this relayed to me BEFORE plunking down 18 grand of the banks hard stolen, errrr, earned, i meant earned money for this? Having a Goldwing with 100K on it at the time 80K of it mine), and the only thing that ever fell off of that was ME!!! Anyway, 2 dealer installed tie wraps on new mirrors and Im back in business,, so i think. A week later I return to the dealer, with what i think is a problem, the gas gage does not seem to ever go empty (dont you hate that?) The dealer reassures me I am just not used to the better gas mileage the Fuel injected bike gets over my 48 mpg Goldwing. Well, to make a short story long, a week later I run out of gas on the freeway with half tank on the gage and have to push the old girl almost half a mile to a gas station where it takes 6.02 gallons of gas. I return it to the dealer where they find the sender is crimped. For the record, the onboard computer says Im getting 34 MPG one up. I was notified of a recall and returned it for the work, something about fuel lines. When i got the bike back it would not run, it would stumble and stall and had NO power. I returned it 3 times for that and it still ran like crap. I also noticed the bike was smoking when you first start it. YES, i park it on the side stand, but why put one on if you cant use it. I do not have the strength to lift it in the center stand and I'll live with the "puff" of smoke. The "puff" got gradually longer and longer to the point where it smokes a half an hour PROFUSELY before tapering off. It will leave a thick trail of smoke for 5 miles when starting out. The dealer assures me this is normal for this bike and BMW will not authorize anything unless it is using 1 qt in a thousand miles. Now add to this, the shifter falling off, (again the dealer saying this is normal, he even gave me an extra part in case it happens again, guess i have to keep a cordless drill with a left handed drill bit in my toll case too now), the seat heater switch malfunctioning, frying my butt on a summer day to where I had to finsih the ride to the dealer riding on the passenger seat, the windshield stopping working, the radio cutting out (but never for the dealer according to them), the rims made of some sort of cream cheese, (i never saw a rim bend like these!), the continual saga of the dropping mirrors (how many times do yours fall off a day?), the front fork seals leaking, to which the dealer response was IMPOSSIBLE!!! I said then the turn signals must be leaking, would you just please fix it! Would you be happy with a bike like this? I can get on ANY of the other 19, (2 strokes included) and not have to put up with any of the grief this thing continues to plague me with. Now I ask again, what problems have you had, I know if I paid 18 grand for a bike I wouldnt want to admit to it either, but there must be others who's bikes have one or more symptoms like this.

You just answered your own question. Riding the wrong bike.

Sell it and get something with more chrome and no centerstand, and get something better suited for your riding skills.

I suggest a moped. ( but dont get one of the Chinese mopeds, they really suck)

2000 K1200LT
1981 Honda CBX ( kind of for sale)
post #19 of 37 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 3:33 pm

My K1200LT

1999 K1200LT 46K

The month of June rode from Florida to Alaska and back. 12060 miles with out a problem.

New shaft replaced at 20K. It had, and the tech. stated it was put in wrong, wiggled out from the final drive and worn the teeth down causing a bad vibration.

Broken mirror clips on both mirrors.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #20 of 37 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 3:52 pm

If I paid $18K for an 'new' LT I would not be happy to have the amount of problems that you have.. In fact if I paid $10K for the same new M/C probably would not be happy. You have 20/21 M/Cs so I would assume that some of the broke.. so you should be no stranger to repairs.

I have lost my mirrors a few times but my research told me to tether them. I'm really sorry you did not know that but that is the design. If you hit a pot hole they will come off if they are not adjusted correctly. If the dealer doesn't know that you have the wrong dealer.. of course they may be the only one so you have what you have. I've hit a few pot holes (after all I live in the Northeast) and I have had a mirror or both mirrors pop off. No big thing I just put them back and look and make sure they are adjusted right. Of course I did not damage a rim on mine and I am also assuming that your front rim was damaged and the leaking seal might be residual damage.

You own more M/Cs 'now' than I have over 35 years of riding. Sounds like a situation I would like to be in.. Go to the stable and pick out todays ride..

I was also thinking that this is the last BMW I will buy also.. until I started reading about all these adventure trips to Alaska and I'm giving serious thought to eventually getting a GS or equivalent.. This would be an additional purchase as I have had three M/Cs in my garage and they all had different function/purpose. Probably my next won't be new. Not because I 'want' to buy someones junk but because I think there is more value to a used purchase. There are a lot of people that buy these things that do not use them enough to even wear the first set of tires out before they are on to something else.

Every other bike I have previously owned was purchased new, except my LT. I bought my LT with a small amount of miles at a reasonable price. Enough miles so it wasn't a garage 'Queen' but not run hard and put away wet all the time. I'm pretty happy with mine. I bought mine before as the rear end stuff started. I was worried that I made a bad decision but I'm happy I kept it as I find the LT very rewarding to ride. I've had a few problems. I can't keep tires on the bike, the gas tank seems to always need filling. Not many people want to ride with me because I don't usually like to stop. I also had a problem with squeaky brakes that BMW tried to fix by replacing my rotor. That fix wan't the answer and the floating rotor eventually went loose.. I eventually fixed that problem on my own. I had mechanical problem with the top case.. I had a leaky slave, but I replaced that before it was a problem.

Actually the GW I sold to buy the LT was almost bullet proof. I sold it to the dealer I bought from and he was excited to buy it. It was sold in two days. Unfortunately, easy to buy and sell, that all I can say about it. As much as I like to ride I was finding that I was using all kinds of excuses to take my truck.. too hot, too cool and the ultimate was a threat of rain. Once I realized what was happening I moved on. I'm back riding May to November. I previously rode only early June to October. Unfortunately I don't need to ride in the summer as much as I have to drive in the winter. So I only put 12 to 15K on during a typical summer.

As far as your LT smoking for the first 5 miles.. I think I would start seriously estimating the miles per quart and see where it's headed..

My LT will use about a quart per 1K if I ride it hard in the mountains or twisties using 3rd or 4th gear. Happened to me a few years ago in Colorado and I didn't understand it but this year in the Georgia mountains it happened again. Now I know. But it was worth the price of the quart. In your case I believe you should be on BMW to get it fixed and then move on and cut your losses. Your obviously not happy riding and if your not happy why have an LT.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #21 of 37 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 4:10 pm

Sorry to hear of your troubles. All vehicle models have their lemons. But BMW Corporate has to be amongst the worst at customer satisfaction in such cases. Which is why it's important to have a good dealer who can shield the customer from all the bullshit. Sounds like your dealer doesn't care, now that your bike is off of their sales floor.

On with your lament. I hope you're only exaggerating here:
Quote:
...a week later I run out of gas on the freeway with half tank on the gage and have to push the old girl almost half a mile to a gas station where it takes 6.02 gallons of gas.
Because, even with it being level or downhill the whole way, that feat is pretty much humanly impossible. Especially from one who would go on to say this:
Quote:
I do not have the strength to lift it in the center stand and I'll live with the "puff" of smoke.
Unless (like our poor forum member in the Philippines) you got sold a '04 model passed of as a '05-on, you would know that the LT has a hydraulic center stand. The only strength required is your right thumb at around 4oz of pressure.

If you just forgot to mention that your center stand apparatus is also kaput and getting a warranty repair, we can ignore that quibble.

Yours is a laundry list of the many, well documented "features" of this machine an owner has the potential to encounter. Some of us are willing to look past the flaws and enjoy the best performing (if not most reliable) big tourer out there. All you have to ask yourself is "is it worth it?" and "Do ya feel lucky, punk? Well do ya?". If not, you'll probably be more happy with the short range gas-guzzling, low lean angle, dime a dozen Honda Accord / er, I mean Goldwing.

-----------------------------------------

The word motorcycle is a verb.

2005 K1200LT "Rolf"
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge
post #22 of 37 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 4:21 pm

To specifically answer your question, I am currently without a motorcycle, however I owned a 99 LT that I put 77000 miles on it before I sold it almost 3 years later. During my ownership, I only had one major issue at 70K and that was the main seal between the engine and tranny failed. Other than that, the only $ I spent on it, was for routine maintenance and farkles. I loved my LT, never left me stranded and was a real joy to own and I plan to purchase another LT in early 08.

Sorry that your experience has been so bad. While your experience has understandably left a sour taste in your mouth, consider that when all is said and done, BMW motorcycles are machines and machines break. This is true whether BMW, Honda or any other. Case in point, go to the Gold Wing site and you will find people there crying about various and sundry issues. Does that make Gold Wing a bad motorcycle? Not by a long shot, but all machines are subject to failure. It can be a little un nerving to get on this site and read of final drive failures, etc., etc but put it into perspective, out of the total number of LT's produced and being ridden world wide, this forum represents a minisule percentage.. thus when issues are reported they are magnified. When I read through the posts in this forum, my over all impression is that most people here, not only really like and enjoy their LT's, but find them to be reliable.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #23 of 37 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 4:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman587
1999 K1200LT 46K

The month of June rode from Florida to Alaska and back. 12060 miles with out a problem.

New shaft replaced at 20K. It had, and the tech. stated it was put in wrong, wiggled out from the final drive and worn the teeth down causing a bad vibration.

Broken mirror clips on both mirrors.

POST PICS OF THE TRIP !!!

2000 K1200LT
1981 Honda CBX ( kind of for sale)
post #24 of 37 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 7:26 pm

Which I knew how.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1200LTryder
I am not that great with computers and it would take me days to download and to add to this site. Sorry.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
post #25 of 37 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 9:57 am

I don not think your ride is the problem. I think you have a bad dealer. Just my .02

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

Need to stay awake

post #26 of 37 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 2:24 pm

Quote:
Now I ask again, what problems have you had, I know if I paid 18 grand for a bike I wouldnt want to admit to it either, but there must be others who's bikes have one or more symptoms like this.
Thanks for giving us more details on your issues. Your username states your displeasure plainly. Your first post seemed to many like a troll, and we have seen more than a few on this site. Please forgive those who assumed you were one. Yes, many of our owners are defensive, because they have read many attacks about our choice of motorcycles. We try not to be thin skinned, but sometimes...

Unfortunately, many dealers are not completely honest with their customers. No salesman has ever been overheard telling a customer how easily the mirrors fall off. Nor about any of the short comings of the bike. So over the years we owners have developed this web site, learning on our own as we went. We know the bike is not perfect, but we like to ride it, and we have learned to adapt. Tethering the mirrors is a perfect example. As for the rear drive failures, I don't remember anyone reporting that the failure led to a crash. That would be the one thing that would force BMW to deal with it. They are sensitive about their reputation, and are loathe to admit fault about anything. I think most people I know are the same way. So instead, the dealers say silly things to the riders, like, "They all do that." I growl everytime I hear that crap. It's a cop out. Some dealers are great, and when you develop a good relationship with them, they'll really go to bat for you. BMW NA has told us before on this site, and at CCR, that if we disagree with anything the dealer has done, give them a call. They have stepped up the plate quite a few times on rear drive failures.

Unfortunately, some riders have a lot more problems with the LT than others. They love to post here that the bike is crap, implying that all of us who love the bike are idiots. So you can understand that some get their ire up when this happens. My first LT had an ABS unit go out at 50 something thousand, and the rear main seal start leaking at 85k. Those were my only problems. I'd still have it, but I totaled it. I liked it so much I bought a 2004 LT, and still love riding it.

If you don't like your LT, sell it asap, and buy something else. Thanks.

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #27 of 37 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 2:50 pm

Quote:
Howdy, Tom!
I came from riding HD's... several decades.

The LT is a great machine once the 'kinks' are worked out. I've had mre than one part "rattle off" my HD's.... and my Oriental machines... so, I didn't see much difference.

The LT is a gentleman's machine, yet, a great "performer" when it needs to be.

I've had my experiences with problems... but, that's ok... I spent more in Chrome and other parts on my HD's.... and depreciation on the Oriental machines.

If you don't like it, move on.. still a free country...sorta..

On the other hand, if you can be one of us, join in the life then come along.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #28 of 37 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 5:35 pm

Here is a picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1200LTryder
My 1999 LT on the Haul Road in Alaska.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03339.JPG
Views:	457
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	13500  

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
post #29 of 37 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 8:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman587
My 1999 LT on the Haul Road in Alaska.
Man that is a dirty bike. And my friends make fun of me when I show up with mine after riding in the rain. But I love that colour.

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

Need to stay awake

post #30 of 37 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 11:16 pm

Just the facts...

03 LT, 15,021 miles when purchased used in August 2005.

Currently 66,347 just got back to Oklahoma from the US Grand Prix in Laguna Seca. Wouldn't hesitate to make a return trip tomorrow, well, after I change oil.
Total failures - reverser went out after dealer service. Never repaired, I don't
use it anyway.
- radio replaced under warranty
- windshield foggy (bought Cee Baileys)

My mirrors are tethered ( per information gleaned from this site) and have only come loose once when I hit a huge pot hole under water in a Pilot Truck Stop. no damage.

It keeps needing tires every 10,000 to 12,000 miles.

I check the rear drive at every fuel stop, but then I check the tires anyway.

It's a blast to ride so , if it breaks, I'll fix it.

Mike Riley
'03 Graphite Met
AMA, IBA
post #31 of 37 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 12:31 am

Quote:
05 LT with almost every option. 11000km and no problems at all. 4.5km /100km average fuel consumption.

And I didn't pay $18,000. I paid $34,000 OTD.

2011 BMW 1600GTL
2000 BMW R1100R
2008 Burgman 650EX

Last edited by HornHonker; Aug 5th, 2007 at 12:38 am.
post #32 of 37 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 8:06 am

Lastbmw

Other than listening to you vent, what can we do to help you?

I'm sorry you had so many problems.

I have had to have my rear bearing replaced twice, once for a failure and once for a poor repair by the dealer. I don't go to that dealer anymore.

Other than that I have had no problems.

This is my 1st BMW and I don't know if I will buy another, not because of the problems I've had, but because I am not a brand loyalist. My next bike is going to be another bike that makes me feel like I did when I saw and rode the LT for the first time.

If your unhappy with the bike sell it and buy something you like.
Life is to short to ride bike you don't like.

Mike in Pittsburgh

2000 K1200LT Canyon Red
1983 Honda GL650I Silverwing Interstate
post #33 of 37 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 5:27 pm

After reading some of these posts, should I just buy a 1200lt because it is a "bmw" or should I buy a reliable MC that cost less but has less problems?
Not here to flame, I helped Dave teardown his Lt, and was impressed with alot of the makeup of the bike. I liked many things on the Lt, and it was not too difficult to work on ( thanks to Dave and this forum ). I am interested in a few of the BMW's but...
Why in the world would I spend so much for these kinds of headaches'? Just so I can say I have a "BMW"? Or are they that reliable? Don't even think they have very good performance, because they dont, I know, If you think so, you must have rode scooters or HD's.( just did 2 test rides)
My point is, Bmw's have very attractive option's where others do not. But are they worth the money? So far I don't see it. If I were to buy "top of the line" it better be worth it by God.
post #34 of 37 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 8:34 pm

Yes the BMW is worth the purchase.....And the right BMW against any of the other bikes on the road will hold their own..... In very day riding the BMW line out performs the competion....... Real curves on real roads is where BMW's shine.... Read all the reviews and the comments are that they can't feel the road with BMW's front suspension,,,well its suppose to isolate your and take care of the road,,, and it does....

Being a technician my whole life the BMW is really head and shoulders above most others,,and thats not to knock the others by any means,,,, But after 20 years in the aviation maintenance community quality can be seen in these machines....

Like allot of others have already said,, if your that unhappy with BMW, just sell it and move on,, don't waste time with something you don't like..........Pete

2005 Ocean Blue LT
post #35 of 37 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 9:16 pm

New poster here.....Just was amused to read these posts. Not that it is amusing to hear of someone having problems with their bike, but no matter what brand MC forum I visit (I am not a troll here because I am seriously considering the LT) someone has unfortunately purchased a lemon. It is common with any company to have a few bad apples. From what I have seen, BMW has some serious reliability. Look at how many people on this forum have 50,000 plus trouble free miles on their bikes. Try looking at some of the other major brands to see if that is as commonplace.

Mirrors falling off is unacceptable and should have been fixed on the next years production IMO.
post #36 of 37 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 9:45 pm

"Being a technician my whole life the BMW is really head and shoulders above most others,,and thats not to knock the others by any means,,,, But after 20 years in the aviation maintenance community quality can be seen in these machines...."
Having been an aviation mechanic 20 yrs ago,( I have my a@p to prove it) I do see the quality no doubt about it. As far as head and shoulders above the rest....we talkin heated seats right? cruise? FD's(not)Transmisions?(not),performance(not),
reliability(not), ease to maintain(not) WHERE IS
THE HEAD & SHOULDERS ABOVE THE REST? COST TO MAINTAIN?, DEALER PRICING?,
We ain't talkin power, performance, ect.. or we should of had this talk 20 years ago, because what I rode was very very disappointing. LT ??? RT is very underpowered AS IS THE LT IMHO
When I get a chance I hope to test ride the K Gt, if that is not at least equal to my Fz1 in performance, I'll take it back to dealer w/another frown on my face. And I do have Corbin Beetlebags on the Fz
post #37 of 37 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 9:53 pm

" Look at how many people on this forum have 50,000 plus trouble free miles on their bikes. Try looking at some of the other major brands to see if that is as commonplace. "
How many? and without major work done ? (w/just brakes, tires, oil change?)
Just lookin for answers
I too am looking at BMW

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.