2005 K1200LT woes.... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 10:22 pm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Angry 2005 K1200LT woes.......

Ok, after making the HUGE mistake of selling my 01 K1200LT and having an R1200CLC for a year, I purchased my 05 K1200LT in March and have the most wonderful motorcycle ever made. Enjoying it so much, that I had to put it in 2 weeks ago for it's 12k service. Notice the two weeks ago......

During the last 2k miles, I noticed a build up of oil cakes on the underside of the bike. I called Carolina BMW where I purchased the bike and was told that there had been a couple of seal leaks, and that they would fix it at the 12k service....no worries. At 11k the left channel of the stereo would pop off after about a minute. All warranty, all do be done during this service. ( Plus new tires)

Got a call Wednesday, the oil leak is from the crank case, and according to Champion Honda ( and we sell BMW) of Charleston, SC. It was rare enough that they have the BMW rep coming to look at it. Said about 1700 in labor cost alone and had to get it approved before they could do it. The radio, they said, is a plug and play...ordered a new unit, put it in and it's doing the same thing. SO.......

I missed Biketoberfest and am missing a ride to the mountains this weekend, and am thinking I'm out of the bike for another week...for a total of 4 weeks. Is that ODD???????? Would any of you think they got a lemon?? Crank case leak?? I'm not a mechanic....and don't know if this is bad or not....and I don't want to have a gremlin in that wonderful stereo. What do I do??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 28th, 2005, 10:31 pm

Smile 4 weeks at dealer

Not all that odd in my opinion. I had an oil leak between the engine and tranny at about 4K miles. Took to dealer and after 3 visit and about 4 weeks in the shop, I got it back. While rather frustrating at the time, I haven't had any other issues and the bike has been great. The problem has been completely fixed, and it did take a call to BMW to get approval for the third fix. I was feeling like I got a lemon, but realized (after a little while) that occasionally these things happen and that they really were trying there best to take care of me. I ended up getting the 6K service for free and a new tire discount. So I can't really complain!
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 3:55 am

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Aluminum porosity

Aluminum porosity is common on HD products... especially the "overseas" molded products. Could be a simple issue like that... porosity near the mating surfaces of the parts will never stop... let them fix it... or "insist" they do it if it gets to that point.

Or, they can refund your money on the bike and you'll assume further repair efforts.
http://www.catholicscomehome.org/
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 4:42 am

Am I reading my story???

I guess not. But there are some striking similarities.

I had a '99 K1200LT. Looking for a lower ride I bought an '03 R1200CLC. Liked it but it wasn't an LT. Bought an '05 K1200LT. Had on going CB interface problems and Navigator problems. They were solved by a new VoiceII.

Then the left channel of the radio started to drop out after 30-40 minutes of riding. Denver BMW (I think) thought I was nuts as they could not duplicate the issue the first three times they looked at it. They finally heard the issue, replaced the radio and life is now good.

I haven't had any leaks after 16K. Yeah, I was frustrated at times but I still think it's a great bike and I believe all the major frustration is behind me. More than anything my ordeal was assuaged by a great dealer. They worked with me to get it right in the long run. Hang in there. It's a toy, it's a great machine and you're in a great area of the country...but I still think Colorado is better.
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 8:43 pm

how about a new bike? look at section 56-28-50 pargraph (A) subsection 2 at the sight below.

bmw WILL play ball.

http://autopedia.com/html/LemonLaw/SC_lemonlaw2.html
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 9:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueRN
Ok, after making the HUGE mistake of selling my 01 K1200LT and having an R1200CLC for a year, I purchased my 05 K1200LT in March and have the most wonderful motorcycle ever made. Enjoying it so much, that I had to put it in 2 weeks ago for it's 12k service. Notice the two weeks ago......

During the last 2k miles, I noticed a build up of oil cakes on the underside of the bike. I called Carolina BMW where I purchased the bike and was told that there had been a couple of seal leaks, and that they would fix it at the 12k service....no worries. At 11k the left channel of the stereo would pop off after about a minute. All warranty, all do be done during this service. ( Plus new tires)

Got a call Wednesday, the oil leak is from the crank case, and according to Champion Honda ( and we sell BMW) of Charleston, SC. It was rare enough that they have the BMW rep coming to look at it. Said about 1700 in labor cost alone and had to get it approved before they could do it. The radio, they said, is a plug and play...ordered a new unit, put it in and it's doing the same thing. SO.......

I missed Biketoberfest and am missing a ride to the mountains this weekend, and am thinking I'm out of the bike for another week...for a total of 4 weeks. Is that ODD???????? Would any of you think they got a lemon?? Crank case leak?? I'm not a mechanic....and don't know if this is bad or not....and I don't want to have a gremlin in that wonderful stereo. What do I do??

I had so much trouble with mine, it was in the shop multiple times for same thing. Something about a crack, fissure in the engine block. I ended up getting a new bike after 6000 on my old one!
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 12:21 pm

Exclamation Need Feedback.. on the 2005 K1200LT woes....

Today marks the 30th day my bike has been at Champion Honda ( we also sell BMW) of Charleston, SC. After calling Jason at Carolina BMW in Greensboro, NC where I bought this bike ( my 4th from them) who is the good guy, I was directed to call 800-831-1117...BMWNA customer service. Marty, the rep, tells me that there is nothing that is wrong with the bike that can't be fixed. He feels that the dealership that has the bike is in over their heads, and suggested that 'we' send it back to Carolina. I agreed but WHY make them pay for this?? He assured me that the 'good will in making me happy' would be more then compensation. ( Charleston to Greensboro is 300 miles....I'm on my chair now trying to wade the BS). He goes on to say that ' BMW replacing the bike is almost unheard of'.

My bike is there due to an oil leak and the left channel being out on the stereo. I've been told that the engine is a 'casting problem' and will have to be replaced...the radio....after 3 swaps is still an 'unknown'.

I explained to Marty that in SC, we have a lemon law that says after 4 times, or 30 consecutive days of a warranty problem that is not fixed, I'm due out. I want out of this bike.

I think that if Champion Honda ( and we also sell BMW) of Charleston, SC is going to fly our beloved Blue and White emblem, they should be a dealer...and BE A DEALER!! If they can't, then someone needs to help them get out of our business. If ANYONE should burden the expense of moving my bike ( which is now not ridable) it should be them. But regardless, I've lost all faith in THAT bike, the best bike I'd ever owned .

If ANY of my fellow K1200LT'ers feel I'm being unresonable, PLEASE tell me.
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 1:56 pm

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I seem to remember someone having to go to court with BMW over what they offered to buy the bike back.

It seemed as if BMW wanted to buy it back under a Lemon Law as a used bike.

Don't think we ever heard back what the outcome was.

BMW has experience dealing with Lemon Laws, customers don't.

Sorry to see that your ride has not been fixed after 30 days in the shop.

Bob
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 5:43 pm

time for dealing with bmw should be over at this point. you qualify for replacement or by back under the lemon law. contact consumer affairs. i'm not familiar with s.c. laws, but in texas, procedure is initiated through DMV. replacement is more prevalent than ma bmw is going to admit. i purchased a lemon law replacement bike in sept. wasn't privy to a lot of the details, but the former owner said bmw was VERY co-operative after initiating legal procedures. stop wasting time going one on one with a corporate giant. the law is on your side. use it.
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 7:38 pm

I too bought my '05 LT from Jason at Carolina BMW - awesome guy, and I'm sure he'd do everything he can to make this mess right if you'll let him. I would do everything that I can to get it back to them if I were you, let them and BMW have their shot at fixing it one more time and if you hit the lemon law threshold, punch out. But, I will say this: I've had my LT for just over a year now (10/1/04) and after 22.5K miles, the bike has been flawless. Consider giving it another shot, aka make them give you a new '06 with all the bells and whistles for example. BTW, the bozos in Charleston are a joke...they have big cashews calling themselves a BMW dealer - stop wasting your time.
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 9:44 am

Angry 05 K1200LT woes....update

Monday 11/6 marks the 30th day my 05 K1200LT has been in Charleston, SC....at Champion Honda ( and we sell BMW and THOUGHT we serviced them, too). To recap, the bike is on vacation there while they do a 12k service, new tires, fix the 'small oil leak' on the front head, and find out why the left channel keeps cutting out on the stereo.

What I know from calling each week is this:

1. After replacing the stereo 3 times, they still have the left channel cutting out. Champion says that the bikes can come with one of 3 different units, and they need the rep to tell them which one it is.

2. The small oil leak is going to require an engine swap.

3. They are aware that Thursday November 11 at 9am, the South Carolina Lemon Law kicks in.

What I know from Marty at customer releations at BMWNA:

1. It has been in service for way too long.

2. It is ALMOST unheard of for BMW to replace the bike.

3. There will be financial compensation for my trouble.

4. There is NOTHING on the bike that can't be fixed.

5. HE is aware of the Lemon Law.

6. He will be unable to turn back the clock so that I can go to Daytona last month and catch Biketoberfest, and return me to Friday 11/4th to take my last vacation I scheduled 3 months ago for a ride to BRPkwy.

Monday will be a day of finals for me. I've decided I want BMW to buy me out of this bike and end my suffering. I just want to buy another bike and not have to worry what may be in store for me on THIS ONE if I ever got it back.

I'll let you know, and PLEASE if you would like to vent about some of your 05 LT problems, call Marty at BMW.......800-831-1117 ext. 8566. I've told him that our 7000+ members are watching on line for the decisions.

Gus
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 3:33 pm

So - you going to buy another LT?
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 7:49 pm

My 05 was in twice for a rear main seal leak. The first time they fixed it in 4 days; due to the time of year in Wisconsin. The 2nd time it was in for 2 weeks during the National Rally in Ohio. They gave me a brand new bike to take to the rally while mine was in the shop. They also told me if it ever leaks again I will get a new bike or my money back because it sat in the shop long enough to qualify for Wisconsin's Lemon Law. The dealer has been fantastic.
Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 7:24 pm

BMW repair, replace experience

According to the operators book that comes with the bike BMW will make Three attempts to repair or return a bike to its B4 problem state. the short version of my story.
April 04 Trashed an 03 R1200CLC. Got T-boned and totaled bike and Cage that hit me. got settlement and purchased another 04 R1200CL. Great deal 5 payments made for me, and 0.9% finance. Pick-up day noticed bike took more umpth to lift bike to vertical. Figured it could be adjused at 600 mi. the next weekend. No such luck. aprox. 4 wks later a new rear frame assembly installed. returned bike to dealer for second attempt (three wks no ride could not always find a tree to lean bike against) with third frame. one that had been reinforced in weak area. third frame was better it took just over two weeks for problem to return. The above memtioned third attempt. A lot of calls were made to marty at BMW. Ended up they made a Change of Collateral R1200 CL for a 05 K1200LT The total difference was $3800. BMW contributed $2000 I kept the 0.9 They made their 5 payments.

My 04 returned to Germany and I now have an 05 gold (yellow) LT
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL
Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 8:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT05RT04
I too bought my '05 LT from Jason at Carolina BMW - awesome guy, and I'm sure he'd do everything he can to make this mess right if you'll let him. I would do everything that I can to get it back to them if I were you, let them and BMW have their shot at fixing it one more time and if you hit the lemon law threshold, punch out. But, I will say this: I've had my LT for just over a year now (10/1/04) and after 22.5K miles, the bike has been flawless. Consider giving it another shot, aka make them give you a new '06 with all the bells and whistles for example. BTW, the bozos in Charleston are a joke...they have big cashews calling themselves a BMW dealer - stop wasting your time.
I too bought my 05 LT from Jason at Carolina BMW and also feel as though Jason will take care of you if at all possible. You've got a fantastic machine and it should be able to be fixed. Everyone is talking about SC Lemon Law, since the bike was purchased in North Carolina all of that might be mute. Good Luck with your problem, and another thing is that all of us "SC" guys need to get together somehow.
Leon
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 12:00 am

Quote:
They are aware that Thursday November 11 at 9am, the South Carolina Lemon Law kicks in.
So what ended up happening?
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 4:28 pm

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

I'll let you know, and PLEASE if you would like to vent about some of your 05 LT problems, call Marty at BMW.......800-831-1117 ext. 8566. I've told him that our 7000+ members are watching on line for the decisions.

Gus
Marty's not always a good guy. I've talked to him at length about the nonworking BMW CB on my '05. He says that the problem is that I installed the radio and therefore the warranty is void. Of course if they wanted to, my dealer (DAYTONA) could help but they don't seem to give a shit either. WOW, now I feel better!!
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed