Paint and customize an LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By DeusExMaxima

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Jun 15th, 2017, 3:37 am Thread Starter

Paint and customize an LT

Now that I have returned from my 48 state tour and the bike is running great I would like to turn my attention to my bike's appearance. I have done a few things like removing the rear logos off the side cases and The Ugly decals on the side Tupperware.
Apparently BMW thought the same thing regarding the rear badges because the 05 and up bikes do not have that rear badge on the side cases. Instead BMW put it on the lid of the top case. I personally prefer only the BMW badge that is there on the back now.
The other appearance modification I did was to remove the fishing rod rear antenna and install a much shorter antenna on the front cowl similar to the RT.

My general idea is to repaint the bike a different color other than the very ordinary champagne color and to give it a bit more modern look.
I have thought about different colors. BMW seems to have rather mundane colors for the LT. I would like to color that spices up the bike a little bit but is not outrageous. One of my favorite colors is red but I think a Ferrari red just would not look right on the bike. When I was on my 48 state tour I saw a Lexus in Chicago that was a beautiful radiant red. I believe that color or one like it would look very striking on an LT and yet not look over the top.

This is the color:

I haven't nailed down the color but it is hard to get away from that color. The problem with it is that it is a very complex color to paint. It's supposed to be a multi-stage base and all sorts of complicated things. Anyway I'm still open to color but I think it's a very beautiful color. Honda Goldwing has a Caliente red and some other reds that are quite nice looking.

Anyway if you guys have thoughts on a spicier color or color scheme let me know.

One other issue regarding color is the lower Tupperware piece on my bike is painted silver. One option would be to paint that body color whatever the new color would be or the other option would be a different color or even just leaving at Silver. I kind of like the idea of leaving at Silver to give it a little bit of a stock look still. I don't really want a completely customized paint job that doesn't look like it would have ever come from the factory. I'd like to still have it look like a factory look but just something better.

Wheel color is another thought but my initial thought is to leave it the factory silver period other options are black or some other color. I'm pretty strongly inclined to leave it Silver.

Regarding customization, I would like to remove the chrome trim on the side cases because it makes the bikes look a bit dated. For example looking at the K 1600 GTL, the side cases do not have chrome trim on them. They do have black on the lower part which I don't agree with. I think the LT would look much sleeker with body color on the entire side cases including the handle and latch and removing the chrome trim and filling in any holes or whatever is needed period I don't believe I have ever seen an LT without that chrome trim. If that's the case then I think mine will be the first because my strong inclination is to remove it.

I think the mirrors would look better without the Chrome outside piece. I think it would look better body color so my inclination is to paint that body color.

I would like to figure out a nice badge for the side Tupperware. I discuss this a little bit in my first thread. I think something along the lines of an k1600gt badge..... that would be a chrome background with black letters. I wouldn't mind keeping a bit of chrome like the covers on the windshield bolts and some of the lower Chrome. I just don't want too much of it. I think a chrome badge with black letters would look pretty nice.

I think a BMW badge on the nose cone just under the windscreen would look pretty nice. I saw a picture of an LT with that and it looked good... subtle but nice.

What do you guys think? I'd like to hear your thoughts and ideas and any pictures or Photoshop pictures that you can do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Jun 15th, 2017, 3:39 am Thread Starter

One thing I forgot to mention was the front fender. I know that the 05 and up bikes have a fuller front fender which I really like. Will that fit on our bike? I know some people have put the RT front fender . Anyone have any pictures of that?
post #3 of 18 Old Jun 15th, 2017, 3:57 pm Thread Starter

Re: Paint and customize an LT

Here is a rendition of my idea:

I like the clean look of the removed chrome strips on the side bags.
Notahog likes this.

post #4 of 18 Old Jun 15th, 2017, 9:14 pm

The 2017 1600 can come in red (I think only in the UK).

I like the red on your mock up but I think the rear bag needs something on it for some character. Maybe go back to the silver bumper or put a black bumper on it to match the black knee well. I am glad you are so confidant in not dropping the k12 that you are taking off the resting bumper on the rear bags. I am not so confident. Especially since, I almost dropped my bike in the garage yesterday when leaning it to get into the trunk of my car. Oh man, that would have been a big mess and a lot of tears.

Current Ride: '02 LT - The Mistress
post #5 of 18 Old Jun 16th, 2017, 12:31 am Thread Starter

Thanks. Notice that the 1600 has no bumper for the side bags. An alternative would be for me to paint the chrome in the red body color so that it blends in. Also I believe I will leave the handle and top area of box in factory silver so that it breaks up the red a little bit.
post #6 of 18 Old Jun 16th, 2017, 6:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima View Post
Thanks. Notice that the 1600 has no bumper for the side bags. An alternative would be for me to paint the chrome in the red body color so that it blends in. Also I believe I will leave the handle and top area of box in factory silver so that it breaks up the red a little bit.
It is your bike so you should do what pleases your taste.

Having said that, and since you asked for opinions, I agree with guitarjim that the monochrome look doesn't agree with the LT. I think it makes it look tall and chunky rather than long, low and sleek. And the GT has no trim, but the GTL does and that is a closer match to the LT in both purpose and character.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	127466  

2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise"
VOICE II
Navigator V
Motorrad Communicator
post #7 of 18 Old Jun 16th, 2017, 7:11 am

I found someone in The Netherlands who has done a great paintjob on his LT:

post #8 of 18 Old Jun 16th, 2017, 1:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemonLT View Post
I found someone in The Netherlands who has done a great paintjob on his LT:
Ohhh, I like that paint job! I still think a nice black line/stripe would tie the saddlebag in with the rest of the bike.

post #9 of 18 Old Jun 16th, 2017, 2:25 pm

You know. A few guys on the wing forum painted their rides with plastidip. Either to see how it looked before they commit. And some just leave it that way.I dunno how that works??

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #10 of 18 Old Jun 16th, 2017, 2:54 pm

That does look really nice.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #11 of 18 Old Jun 16th, 2017, 4:09 pm

I am thinking something like this:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2w3w1eqGJ.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	426.1 KB
ID:	127490  

post #12 of 18 Old Jun 16th, 2017, 7:20 pm Thread Starter

Kept the silver on the side case top:

I like the smooth look on the cases rather than breaking it up too much with different colors.
post #13 of 18 Old Jun 17th, 2017, 12:59 am Thread Starter

Soooo.....anyone know if the 05+ front fender fits a 99 -04 bike??
post #14 of 18 Old Jun 17th, 2017, 5:02 pm

Smile Re: Paint and customize an LT

Quote:
Soooo.....anyone know if the 05+ front fender fits a 99 -04 bike??
The really short answer is ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, yes.
The longer answer,,,, it will require a screw on each skirt to attach to the fork tube.
I used the standard Tupperware medium length screws. Worked just fine
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1050653.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	127506   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050655.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	127514  

Duane

Check the obvious first!
01 LT Champagne "The Starship"
73 Z1 Kawi
and 7 long gone
post #15 of 18 Old Jun 17th, 2017, 10:33 pm

When I saw you first posting on the K bike site asking lots about a K12, I wondered. But I totally have to apologize to you and say that you are enjoying motorcycling so much more than many folks on the sites. Go guy. I'm with you on red. There are some versions of Porsche red that are not crisp like your choice but nice. Much thought is given to car colors and your instinct to choose one rather than just fan out some paint chips is smart.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

K13S & DR650 (gone through a few RT's)
R1200GS (2014)
S1000R
Mount Vernon Cannon Works
post #16 of 18 Old Jun 18th, 2017, 7:13 pm

Quote:
Kept the silver on the side case top:

I like the smooth look on the cases rather than breaking it up too much with different colors.
I like this better than all red on the bags. You really ought to price that car red just to know how much to start saving

post #17 of 18 Old Jun 19th, 2017, 5:18 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beech View Post
When I saw you first posting on the K bike site asking lots about a K12, I wondered. But I totally have to apologize to you and say that you are enjoying motorcycling so much more than many folks on the sites. Go guy. I'm with you on red. There are some versions of Porsche red that are not crisp like your choice but nice. Much thought is given to car colors and your instinct to choose one rather than just fan out some paint chips is smart.
Thank you Beech. I appreciate it!!

The Lexus Radiant Red or the Mazda Soul Red Crystal are gorgeous colors.....and for good reason. They are mutli-stage paints and seemingly complex colors to paint. But I think they accentuate curvy surfaces, such as that on the LT, and would be a great color. I am going to give the project some thought because its rather involved and time-consuming. I am looking for a cheap front fender from an 05-09 LT - the ebay ones are a bit pricey right now. Has anyone painted the calipers? I am open to ideas and would love to see any photoshops.

So, to summarize my idea so far:

1. Rear antenna removed, smaller front antenna put in its place (already done)
2. Remove rear side case chrome strips and reflector
3. Replace front fender with updated fender
4. Remove rear "K1200" and "LT" logos (already done)
5. Remove front side "K1200LT" fugly decals (already done) and design and apply cleaner-looking "K1200LT" decals
6. Paint all factory painted surfaces with Radiant Red or similar color.
7. Possibly apply a "BMW" badge or BMW logo to side case - like the RT and others

With badge on rear of side case:

Last edited by DeusExMaxima; Jun 19th, 2017 at 6:05 pm.
post #18 of 18 Old Jun 21st, 2017, 3:38 pm Thread Starter

Heres a MSPaint pic with 05+ front fender add:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.