• 1 Post By bmwcoolk1200
  • 1 Post By Voyager
  • 2 Post By saddleman
  • 1 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By bmwcoolk1200

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Jun 13th, 2017, 7:50 pm Thread Starter

Intake Clamp removal help

Can anyone tell me how to open these without tearing up my boots?

Never seen anything like them before
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clamps.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	127306  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Jun 13th, 2017, 8:26 pm

Re: Intake Clamp removal help

Quote:
Originally Posted by trussell View Post
Can anyone tell me how to open these without tearing up my boots?

Never seen anything like them before
Stick a small flatblade in here and twist lightly. It will pop apart. Getting them back together again is much more difficult.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Clamps.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	127314  
Mark65 likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Signature
post #3 of 13 Old Jun 13th, 2017, 9:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
Stick a small flatblade in here and twist lightly. It will pop apart. Getting them back together again is much more difficult.

So, what's the procedure for that little trick?

Mark

Mark(Big Poppa) and Julie(Fireball)
'06 K1200LT Magnesium Black "Stella"
Glendale, AZ
BMWMOA#206887

post #4 of 13 Old Jun 13th, 2017, 10:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark65 View Post
So, what's the procedure for that little trick?

Mark
What, getting them back together? Some people have really big pairs of needle nose pliers and can get them pinched back so the clasp catches again. Personally, I use a pair of needle nosed vise grips as it takes lots less force to get them clamped and they have a wider tip to hang onto the clamp edges. They are difficult but not impossible. Getting them mostly closed and lined up before getting the pliers on them is the hardest part as space is very tight.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	13711465248_1_C.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	127322  
Mark65 likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Signature

Last edited by bmwcoolk1200; Jun 13th, 2017 at 10:17 pm.
post #5 of 13 Old Jun 13th, 2017, 10:19 pm

Thanks, Gordon!

I looked at them when I had the tupperware off last time (word to the wise, hang on tightly to your key until you know, and I mean KNOW, that you have it in the slot!), and it definitely looks challenging to deal with those buggers....

Mark

Mark(Big Poppa) and Julie(Fireball)
'06 K1200LT Magnesium Black "Stella"
Glendale, AZ
BMWMOA#206887
post #6 of 13 Old Jun 13th, 2017, 10:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark65 View Post
Thanks, Gordon!

I looked at them when I had the tupperware off last time (word to the wise, hang on tightly to your key until you know, and I mean KNOW, that you have it in the slot!), and it definitely looks challenging to deal with those buggers....

Mark
The second one is easier

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

Signature
post #7 of 13 Old Jun 14th, 2017, 8:25 am

Quote:
I believe I used needle nose pliers to squeeze the locking tabs toward each other to release the catch. Essential the same procedure as for installation other than tilting the pliers to pull the catch away from the hook rather than towards it. Reassembly was easy. I replaced with the BMW screw type clamps.
Mark65 likes this.

2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise"
VOICE II
Navigator V
Motorrad Communicator
post #8 of 13 Old Jun 14th, 2017, 9:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
I believe I used needle nose pliers to squeeze the locking tabs toward each other to release the catch. Essential the same procedure as for installation other than tilting the pliers to pull the catch away from the hook rather than towards it. Reassembly was easy. I replaced with the BMW screw type clamps.
Just a side note for the readers and the OP, these clamps were used instead of screw clamps on the two front rubbers on models that have cruise control. If regular clamps are used in place, great care must be used to make sure they do not interfere with the TB movement or it may jam your throttle. One user recently experienced this however I will keep his name out unless he wants to volunteer with additional info on how not to mess that up. He was told beforehand about the issues of using regular clamps. He still had an issue. Best to try and use the correct clamps first.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

Signature
post #9 of 13 Old Jun 14th, 2017, 9:58 am

Quote:
Just a side note for the readers and the OP, these clamps were used instead of screw clamps on the two front rubbers on models that have cruise control. If regular clamps are used in place, great care must be used to make sure they do not interfere with the TB movement or it may jam your throttle. One user recently experienced this however I will keep his name out unless he wants to volunteer with additional info on how not to mess that up. He was told beforehand about the issues of using regular clamps. He still had an issue. Best to try and use the correct clamps first.
I would never recommend that incorrect parts be used. The screw type clamps are the correct clamps per the BMW parts fiche, at least for the 05-09. I didn't check the early models. As with most other parts on the LT, they must be installed correctly in order to work correctly. I am on a trip and don't have access to my REPRom, but I believe it addresses this. I can't recall if Clymer addresses this. I installed my correct parts correctly and have had no problems.

MAX BMW Motorcycles - BMW Parts & Technical Diagrams - K1200LT 05-09 (89V3)

VOICE II
Navigator V
Motorrad Communicator
post #10 of 13 Old Jun 14th, 2017, 11:05 am

Quote:
I would never recommend that incorrect parts be used. The screw type clamps are the correct clamps per the BMW parts fiche, at least for the 05-09. I didn't check the early models. As with most other parts on the LT, they must be installed correctly in order to work correctly. I am on a trip and don't have access to my REPRom, but I believe it addresses this. I can't recall if Clymer addresses this. I installed my correct parts correctly and have had no problems.

MAX BMW Motorcycles - BMW Parts & Technical Diagrams - K1200LT 05-09 (89V3)
Unfortunately, the fiche does not distinguish between the rear 2 and front 2 throttle bodies in conjunction with the presence of the cruise control and that pinch clamp is not pictured or listed in the fiche. It was sailor who enlightened me to why these special clamps were used to eliminate the possibility of improper installation and a throttle hang causing injury with cruise installed. Yes, the screw type clamps can be used but as I said, great care needs to be taken to make sure they do not interfere with throttle operation. Sailor came up with a part number in a previous post and explained it to me as I was looking for them to replace during my breather hose and rubber boot refit. I was able to reuse the old ones with a small amount of difficulty in getting them refastened without the specified tool.

I don't have a REPRom to reference but if it mentions it, let me know. I have not come across it specifically in my Clymer but I have not had the time to read it cover to cover. I may look for it tonight. I do have a PDF repair manual ( REPRom possibly? ) and it mentions them but not any specifics as non-reusable hose clips.

The associates text with the attacked pic is:

Open non-reusable hose clips (2, 3) and screwtype
hose clamps (4, 5) at throttle valve stubs.
[Activated charcoal filter] Remove timing valve
from its holder.
Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure:
pay particular attention to the following.
Secure non-reusable hose clips (2, 3) with pliers,
BMW No. 13 1 510.
Make sure that screw of hose clamp (4) on cylinder
No. 3 is aligned exactly in forward direction
of travel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TB Clamps.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	444.0 KB
ID:	127362  

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

Signature
post #11 of 13 Old Jun 14th, 2017, 12:06 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I always replace them with the screw clamps. I adjust the clamp on the boot so the air box can just slip over then I snip the screw off & leave the end of the screw deformed so you can't remove it. The next time I have to remove it I loosen the screw until it binds a little & remove the air box.
Voyager and bmwcoolk1200 like this.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #12 of 13 Old Jun 14th, 2017, 3:15 pm

Quote:
Unfortunately, the fiche does not distinguish between the rear 2 and front 2 throttle bodies in conjunction with the presence of the cruise control and that pinch clamp is not pictured or listed in the fiche. It was sailor who enlightened me to why these special clamps were used to eliminate the possibility of improper installation and a throttle hang causing injury with cruise installed. Yes, the screw type clamps can be used but as I said, great care needs to be taken to make sure they do not interfere with throttle operation. Sailor came up with a part number in a previous post and explained it to me as I was looking for them to replace during my breather hose and rubber boot refit. I was able to reuse the old ones with a small amount of difficulty in getting them refastened without the specified tool.

I don't have a REPRom to reference but if it mentions it, let me know. I have not come across it specifically in my Clymer but I have not had the time to read it cover to cover. I may look for it tonight. I do have a PDF repair manual ( REPRom possibly? ) and it mentions them but not any specifics as non-reusable hose clips.

The associates text with the attacked pic is:

Open non-reusable hose clips (2, 3) and screwtype
hose clamps (4, 5) at throttle valve stubs.
• [Activated charcoal filter] Remove timing valve
from its holder.
• Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure:
pay particular attention to the following.
• Secure non-reusable hose clips (2, 3) with pliers,
BMW No. 13 1 510.
• Make sure that screw of hose clamp (4) on cylinder
No. 3 is aligned exactly in forward direction
of travel.
My point is that it is not "incorrect" to use the reusable screw clamps as that is what BMW sells for this application. It would be incorrect to install them incorrectly.
It is also incorrect to re-use non-reusable clamps.

Doing the latter risks the clamp coming loose and getting caught in the throttle actuation mechanism. Better to either buy new non-reusable clamps if BMW still sells them, or buy the screw clamps that are designed for reuse and install them correctly.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

VOICE II
Navigator V
Motorrad Communicator
post #13 of 13 Old Jun 14th, 2017, 3:26 pm

Quote:
My point is that it is not "incorrect" to use the reusable screw clamps as that is what BMW sells for this application. It would be incorrect to install them incorrectly.
It is also incorrect to re-use non-reusable clamps.

Doing the latter risks the clamp coming loose and getting caught in the throttle actuation mechanism. Better to either buy new non-reusable clamps if BMW still sells them, or buy the screw clamps that are designed for reuse and install them correctly.
I like Dave's solution of clipping off the screw to allow for better clearance. I will do that the next time I have the TB off and stop messing with those incorrectly re-used non-reusable clamps that are correctly installed incorrectly.

Mark65 likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

Signature

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.