Exhaust Removel - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By DanDiver
  • 3 Post By saddleman
  • 1 Post By GaryEm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Jun 13th, 2017, 11:54 am Thread Starter

Exhaust Removel

It,,s one those things I have not done yet but what does it take to take off the exhaust on the 1200 I like to change my 02 sensor I know I would have to get some gaskets

Gary
2003 K1200LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Jun 13th, 2017, 12:24 pm

Re: Exhaust Removel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryEm View Post
It,,s one those things I have not done yet but what does it take to take off the exhaust on the 1200 I like to change my 02 sensor I know I would have to get some gaskets

It is not very difficult. I think it is a 14mm deep socket and a wrench to get the manifold nuts off. Some of the studs may come out and that is OK. Then there is the rear support for the exhaust and I think it will just slide out with a little lube on the rubber parts.

To get the old copper rings out, some sort of hook to catch on them and pull them out helps as they can get wedged in pretty good.

Depending on how the O2 wires are routed, you might need to pull off the reverse knob mount if it is behind it. If you have no desire to hang on to the old sensor, you can just cut the wires and pull it out but it is nice to have an intact spare if it still works relatively well. If it is routed in front, disregard this step.

Use plenty of copper anti-seize when installing the new one even if the replacement already has some on it. Some can be a buggar to get to break lose so use heat.

Be careful installing as in my book, the table has the incorrect torque value of 44 Ft Lbs and that will tear the flanges off or strip out the studs. The correct value is 16 Ft Lbs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0075.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	396.1 KB
ID:	127298  

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Signature
post #3 of 16 Old Jun 13th, 2017, 3:06 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
It is not very difficult. I think it is a 14mm deep socket and a wrench to get the manifold nuts off. Some of the studs may come out and that is OK. Then there is the rear support for the exhaust and I think it will just slide out with a little lube on the rubber parts.

To get the old copper rings out, some sort of hook to catch on them and pull them out helps as they can get wedged in pretty good.

Depending on how the O2 wires are routed, you might need to pull off the reverse knob mount if it is behind it. If you have no desire to hang on to the old sensor, you can just cut the wires and pull it out but it is nice to have an intact spare if it still works relatively well. If it is routed in front, disregard this step.

Use plenty of copper anti-seize when installing the new one even if the replacement already has some on it. Some can be a buggar to get to break lose so use heat.

Be careful installing as in my book, the table has the incorrect torque value of 44 Ft Lbs and that will tear the flanges off or strip out the studs. The correct value is 16 Ft Lbs.

Thanks Gorden its nice info on the torque I got one those mean Irwin 53916 impact bolt grip from amazon its got great reviews on getting sensors out like straight five stars
Also thanks on how to get the exhaust off

Gary
2003 K1200LT

post #4 of 16 Old Jun 13th, 2017, 3:10 pm

Clymer is your friend.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369 miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Guess that'll stop my 20 degree rides from now on.

76 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #5 of 16 Old Jun 13th, 2017, 3:24 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernvernvern View Post
Clymer is your friend.
I do have clymer book I guess I just wanted to here from someone that did it

Gary
2003 K1200LT
post #6 of 16 Old Jun 13th, 2017, 3:29 pm

Quote:
I do have clymer book I guess I just wanted to here from someone that did it
Yep, that's OK.............. good idea as this site is the best.

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369 miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Guess that'll stop my 20 degree rides from now on.

76 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #7 of 16 Old Jun 13th, 2017, 4:32 pm
Super Moderator

Be prepared for some of the nuts to hang on to the studs as sometimes they have a tendency to pull the studs out of the aluminum block.

I would use BP Blaster for several spray sessions . . . maybe some localized heat!!

Other than that it's just a bolt here and screw there exercise.

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"

post #8 of 16 Old Jun 13th, 2017, 5:06 pm

I'm pretty sure that you do not have to remove the exhaust to install the 02 sensor. Might double check before going to the trouble.

Here is a hint though if you do. To replace the headers, where they attach to the engine, there are copper gaskets that have to be held in place. A dab of grease will keep them in place while you screw in the bolts.
Voyager likes this.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

Last edited by DanDiver; Jun 13th, 2017 at 5:46 pm.
post #9 of 16 Old Jun 13th, 2017, 5:07 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I change the O2 with the exhaust still on.
DanDiver, Voyager and beech like this.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #10 of 16 Old Jun 13th, 2017, 7:20 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
I change the O2 with the exhaust still on.
Well Dave I better tell you the rest story I was in there to grease the 4 joints on the linkage and thought to myself why not change the sensor why I am there how hard can it be Did not go so good I stripped the sensor so I grease the linkage and put everything back together and plugged my sensor back and am riding it But I am having issues like Axle did in a thread like he said cough and flutter and stumbling for a long time he put a sensor in and did cured it
So now I am getting prepared for the next try by taking the exhaust off order a( irwin tool 53916 impact bolt grip) off amazon a five star review for getting sensor out Or I might TRY once again with the tool I am getting by just taking linkage out of there but this it will be on my lift
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

Gary
2003 K1200LT
post #11 of 16 Old Jun 14th, 2017, 8:15 am

Quote:
Well Dave I better tell you the rest story I was in there to grease the 4 joints on the linkage and thought to myself why not change the sensor why I am there how hard can it be Did not go so good I stripped the sensor so I grease the linkage and put everything back together and plugged my sensor back and am riding it But I am having issues like Axle did in a thread like he said cough and flutter and stumbling for a long time he put a sensor in and did cured it
So now I am getting prepared for the next try by taking the exhaust off order a( irwin tool 53916 impact bolt grip) off amazon a five star review for getting sensor out Or I might TRY once again with the tool I am getting by just taking linkage out of there but this it will be on my lift
What do you mean by "stripped" the sensor? This generally refers to removing the threads on a fastener. Do you mean you rounded off the hex shape on the sensor? I try to always heat the sensor fitting up and then soak it well with penetrating oil. Let that sit overnight and often the sensor will come out fairly easily. If not, heat it up and try again.

Hint: don't use the O2 sensor socket for removal. The slot weakens it substantially and it will spring open and round the hex fitting or break the socket. Best to cut the sensor wire short and use a 6 point impact socket. They are very robust.

If you have rounded off the hex corners, use a big pipe wrench to remove the old one.

2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise"
VOICE II
Navigator V
Motorrad Communicator
post #12 of 16 Old Jun 14th, 2017, 12:09 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I have always used a box end wrench to remove them.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #13 of 16 Old Jun 14th, 2017, 3:28 pm Thread Starter

I rounded the hex corners off Has there anyone that actually messed up threads in the exhaust
post #14 of 16 Old Jun 14th, 2017, 4:05 pm

Garage

I removed my 02 sensor and re-installed it into a REMUS exhaust and stainless header. It was TIGHT! I used a propane torch to put some heat around the threads. Fine line between heating the thread and over-heating the sensor. I moved it, put a slight hand torque on it, works just fine. Header stud bolts got an overnight soaking of liquid wrench. Brass gaskets will need to replaced if you remove the entire system. After installing the header and gaskets, I went back under the bottom and made sure the nuts were tight after a few times of heating and cooling the system with normal riding. One of my studs was completely missing from the PO, so I make sure everything is staying put with regular visual inspections.

2000 BMW K1200LT
2001 Kaw Concours zg1000
2001 Kaw KX250
1974 Kaw KX250
1981 Yam YZ465

post #15 of 16 Old Jun 14th, 2017, 4:08 pm

I heated mine(O2) with map gas. Sprayed it with Aerokroil. Resprayed a few times that day. The next day with a 6 point box wrench. And a little persuasion. It came out without to much difficulty. Dummy me. I pulled the leader string out instead of tying off. So rerouting the cable was a B@#th.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.

Last edited by james216; Jun 14th, 2017 at 4:14 pm.
post #16 of 16 Old Jun 14th, 2017, 5:36 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
I rounded the hex corners off Has there anyone that actually messed up threads in the exhaust
I have replaced several & so far have never had the threads in the exhaust get messed up. I have had to heat a few to get it loose.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.