1Likes
  • 1 Post By red85k100rs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old Jun 12th, 2017, 11:50 am Thread Starter

Cool Q's Handlebars, seats & Horsepower

I have a 1999 K1200LT

I have several questions.

Handlebars
Looking through the service manual, I see 1 (ONE) specific handlebar height. Has anyone changed the bars out and had success?

Seats
What can I say.. The factory seat is one of the worst I have ever sat on. I need it in the upper position and I find it to be significantly uncomfortable on long rides. I have done 2 iron butt with my prior GW. I can say the seat was 1000% better. What seats have YOU used to improve the ride for your bike?

Horsepower
In my research before I found this bike. I was told that somewhere around 2004 the HP was bumped up from 100 to 130. Can this be easily done to a 99 like mine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old Jun 12th, 2017, 12:07 pm

Re: Q's Handlebars, seats & Horsepower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDocTkk View Post
I have a 1999 K1200LT

Handlebars
Looking through the service manual, I see 1 (ONE) specific handlebar height. Has anyone changed the bars out and had success?
Don't recall any past history of LT handlebars being changed out, but there is a procedure for a slight adjustment to the OEM bars - thanks to Vic Agresti for posting it in the Hall of Wisdom section.
BMW Luxury Touring Community - Site FAQ
post #3 of 30 Old Jun 12th, 2017, 2:33 pm

Quote:
I have a 1999 K1200LT

Handlebars

Seats
What can I say.. The factory seat is one of the worst I have ever sat on. I need it in the upper position and I find it to be significantly uncomfortable on long rides. I have done 2 iron butt with my prior GW. I can say the seat was 1000% better. What seats have YOU used to improve the ride for your bike?

Horsepower
In my research before I found this bike. I was told that somewhere around 2004 the HP was bumped up from 100 to 130. Can this be easily done to a 99 like mine?
Handlebars - I think there is a bit of play in the handlebars but the prior response addresses handlebar questions.

Seat - I think the stock seat is comfortable. However, for my 48 state tour I just returned from, I used an Airhawk air cushion that is fabulous. It has a valve that allows you to adjust the amount of air in it. It even lets absorbs the heat from the heated seat so it warms up nicely. Alternatively, you could have the seat taken apart and re-foamed to your liking. I have done this on other bikes with great success. But check out Airhawk seat cushions.

Horsepower - I dont know what BMW did to increase horsepower but I thought it went from about 100 hp to about 116 hp. I bought a chip for $100 from John (plenty of info on it in the forum), and I removed the intake muffler andreplaced it with a larger carbon fiber intake tube that I made. I havent had it dynoed but there probably is a few extra hp from those mods. Also, if you remove the rear top box, you will shed 38 lbs which makes the bike easier to handle and should make it a bit faster with less weight to lug around. Also, removing the 6CD changer in the right side case removes 8 more lbs and gives you more space. If you dont like the radio, you can remove that plus the antenna for another few lbs of weight, more space in the stingray (front storage). For a lot of weight loss, you can swap out the exhaust for an aftermarket unit, but then you get a lot of noise. Removing weight is kind of like increasing hp because there is less bike for the exisiting hp to drag around - also better handling and braking. Anything more than this, you need to get another bike.

post #4 of 30 Old Jun 12th, 2017, 2:40 pm Thread Starter

One of the first things I did was pull the CD changer.. I digitized all of minne over 15 years ago.

I pulled the antenna as it is easy to get a tape one and install it under the manta cover. I also use a Satellite radio most of the time when I want to listen. I flipped back and forth on deleting the tour pack. The side cases are 2/3 the size of my last two touring bikes.

Thank you for the information on the seat. I will look into it.
post #5 of 30 Old Jun 12th, 2017, 4:48 pm

Quote:
I have a 1999 K1200LT

Handlebars

Seats

Horsepower
Never tried to change the bars. The bar covers are probably the biggest impediment.

I found the stock seat fine once I added a Beadrider. The high position caused me to tilt forward too much. The Beadrider added enough height to make the low position comfortable and the ventilation helps tremendously in warm weather.

Nothing close to 130 HP. More like 116 or 117.

2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise"
VOICE II
Navigator V
Motorrad Communicator
post #6 of 30 Old Jun 12th, 2017, 5:22 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Best way to get more HP out of an LT is to keep the revs up (or lose weight). 1st gear is good to 62 MPH before you hit the rev limiter.

John
2009 K1300GT
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 Ocean Blue Blue Wizard
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

CCR 06 Braselton CCR 07 Osage Beach CCR 08 Midway
CCR 09 Rapid City CCR 10 Killington, VT,CCR 11 Boise, CCR 12 Duluth
CCR 2013 Bend, CCR 2014 Backyard! CCR 2015 Couer d'Alene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 30 Old Jun 12th, 2017, 5:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Best way to get more HP out of an LT .... ( lose weight). .
IS THERE AN ECHO IN HERE??

post #8 of 30 Old Jun 12th, 2017, 5:57 pm

Garage

the handle bars can be moved up and down but you don't gain any height, if anything you will have further to reach, they seem to have one sweet spot due to rotating in an arc, there was a post a long time ago cant remember who, but they cut the bars and welded in a couple of inches to increase the length, as you can imagine the covers no longer fitted and it looked pretty doggy.
seat, what can I say my back is the problem not the seat road with a bead rider for years, and I have fitted a russell day long and it made no difference. get yourself some suburban lowering pegs 1" down 3/4" forward they will make a huge difference for comfort.
there really is no way to get more hp, I have a johns chip to be honest I cant really tell the difference.
that's my 2c

Regards Linton

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #9 of 30 Old Jun 12th, 2017, 6:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Best way to get more HP out of an LT is to keep the revs up (or lose weight). 1st gear is good to 62 MPH before you hit the rev limiter.
I wish losing weight would increase horsepower.

VOICE II
Navigator V
Motorrad Communicator
post #10 of 30 Old Jun 13th, 2017, 11:39 am

[quote=TheDocTkk;1735217]I have a 1999 K1200LT

Handlebars

Seats

Horsepower
In my research before I found this bike. I was told that somewhere around 2004 the HP was bumped up from 100 to 130. Can this be easily done to a 99 like mine?[/quote
1st. The bars can be slightly adjusted, not changed out. 2nd. There are 2 adjust positions for the seat, high& low height adjustment. But. My recommendation is a airhawk,or beadrider pad. A Russell day long or a Bill Mayer seat is a big difference. The factory seat is not the best. 3rd. HP. 1999-2004 US models HP is 98 bhp. Starting in 2005. HP was raised to 116 and gearbox was modified. Just keep the rpms up. The brick motor likes to rev. Keep it around 4,500. Other improvements post 2004.Hydro/electric centerstand was added . Instrument panel was upgraded. Another piece of advice. The factory windshield is fair. An aftermarket windshield will help quite a bit. That alone makes it unbeatable as far as wind\rain protection of any touring bike period. With personal improvments. It's a great touring bike.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.

Last edited by james216; Jun 13th, 2017 at 11:55 am.
post #11 of 30 Old Jun 13th, 2017, 1:33 pm

[quote=james216;1735874]
Quote:
3rd. HP. 1999-2004 US models HP is 98 bhp. Starting in 2005. HP was raised to 116 and gearbox was modified.
Do you know HOW BMW raised the HP? Cams? ECU programming? Exhaust? Etc?
post #12 of 30 Old Jun 13th, 2017, 2:56 pm

[quote=DeusExMaxima;1735922]
Quote:
Originally Posted by james216 View Post

Do you know HOW BMW raised the HP? Cams? ECU programming? Exhaust? Etc?
I don't know all the changes. The most fundamental was compression ratio increase from something like 10.8:1 to 11.5:1. I believe the throttle body size was increased also. May have been cam changes, but not sure about that.

VOICE II
Navigator V
Motorrad Communicator
post #13 of 30 Old Jun 13th, 2017, 6:07 pm

Compression was changed to 11.5:1 and I believe different cams.Though not clear on the cam duration.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
I'm a 4 percenter.

Last edited by james216; Jun 13th, 2017 at 6:48 pm.
post #14 of 30 Old Jun 13th, 2017, 6:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by james216 View Post
Compression 11.5:1 and I believe different cams.Though not clear on the cam duration.
So a cam swap should help increase the hp? Im surprised more people arent interested in this as it may be some easy horsepower.
post #15 of 30 Old Jun 13th, 2017, 6:54 pm

Don't know how easy or practical it would be. To switch cams to an older.(pre 2005 LT)

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #16 of 30 Old Jun 13th, 2017, 7:18 pm

Garage

start doing this sort of stuff at your own peril.. blown engine. if you cant do it properly then I suggest you don't start, it would be far better to source a later model engine and cpu which may not work,, anyway, I love learning from others so please give it a go..

Regards Linton

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #17 of 30 Old Jun 14th, 2017, 3:14 am

It looks like the pre 05 cams have different part number that 05 and later cams.....hmmmm
post #18 of 30 Old Jun 14th, 2017, 3:30 am

I discovered a couple of things. The RS cam have more lift and i think duration too. Also.....the 05 plus LT throttlebodies are 2mm larger in diameter.....34mm vs. 36mm. Interesting.

I bet the RS cams with larger TBs can get a good 10 to 15 hp...maybe more. Thoughts?
post #19 of 30 Old Jun 14th, 2017, 3:34 am

And the RS motor has 38mm throttlebodies.....4mm larger than the LT.
post #20 of 30 Old Jun 14th, 2017, 4:02 am

Garage

Personally, and this is just me, I would be concerned changing cams without knowing how the compression was changed. If they have changed the pistons, good bet there are valve reliefs forged into the tops of them, or the wrist pin location has changed. Not knowing the pistons in the pre-'05 engines, I would be a little concerned about valve interference. Without doing a complete rotating assembly change out, this is not something I would attempt.

I have no issues running with my riding mates. Should I feel I need a little more speed, I'll shed some weight, whether it be off the bike or a bit more time in the gym and eating salads........
post #21 of 30 Old Jun 14th, 2017, 5:09 am

It would be much easier, and could end up cheaper to buy a 2005 and put plates on it.

just sayin
Voyager likes this.
post #22 of 30 Old Jun 14th, 2017, 8:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima View Post
I discovered a couple of things. The RS cam have more lift and i think duration too. Also.....the 05 plus LT throttlebodies are 2mm larger in diameter.....34mm vs. 36mm. Interesting.

I bet the RS cams with larger TBs can get a good 10 to 15 hp...maybe more. Thoughts?
Unless you have a way to modify the fuel map, you likely will have a crappy running bike.

VOICE II
Navigator V
Motorrad Communicator
post #23 of 30 Old Jun 16th, 2017, 10:39 am Thread Starter

Thank you all for your replies.. I do not think I will be attempting the HP increase.

I kind of laughed when I was reading about a 2000 Harley Davidson Screamin' Eagle CVO Road Glide FLTRSEI. This is a 95 CI custom screaming eagle model and dyno'd at Dyno'd at 89 hp / 89 lb ft tq. I feel there is no need to comment on my meager 100 HP anymore....lol
post #24 of 30 Old Jun 16th, 2017, 11:08 am

Quote:
Thank you all for your replies.. I do not think I will be attempting the HP increase.

I kind of laughed when I was reading about a 2000 Harley Davidson Screamin' Eagle CVO Road Glide FLTRSEI. This is a 95 CI custom screaming eagle model and dyno'd at Dyno'd at 89 hp / 89 lb ft tq. I feel there is no need to comment on my meager 100 HP anymore....lol
Just remember that the power starts at 5,000 rpm and you will be fine. And this isn't a crotch rocket even though it looks somewhat like one.

VOICE II
Navigator V
Motorrad Communicator
post #25 of 30 Old Jun 16th, 2017, 11:26 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Just remember that the power starts at 5,000 rpm and you will be fine. And this isn't a crotch rocket even though it looks somewhat like one.
I keep hearing that and for me I have never ridden that way. In time my riding style will adjust. This is my first BMW. I have had many HD's, 2 Wings before this bike. Many things are different.

Have fun on your journey!

One of the best quotes someone said. "Each time I leave my driveway, my destination is "home". Everything between is my journey to enjoy each moment."
post #26 of 30 Old Jun 16th, 2017, 11:48 am

Seats:
I also found the LT sock seat was very uncomfortable. On my 2001, I had a Kontour seat made and then added sheepskin and a beadrider.

The Kontour was great for a cross country trip, but I found I still needed more ventilation .

Roger Barth

2001 LTI w/ Uni-Go (Pacific Blue)
2000 Honda Nighthawk 750 (Black)
1973 Honda CL350 (Red)
post #27 of 30 Old Jun 16th, 2017, 12:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspyder View Post
Seats:
I also found the LT sock seat was very uncomfortable. On my 2001, I had a Kontour seat made and then added sheepskin and a beadrider.

The Kontour was great for a cross country trip, but I found I still needed more ventilation .
I also found ventilation the key to all day comfort.

I likewise looked at a Kontour seat early on. I was just weeks from placing my order when I read a post by the maker of the Kontour seat where he said he would cut and later splice the seat heater wires rather than take five minutes to remove a body panel so as to access the plug that is provided to allow the seat to be properly disconnected and removed. I would never buy a product from someone with that slipshod an approach to working on my bike. Who knows what corners are cut in the seat itself when that egregious a wiring corner is cut?

I decided to work my way up to an RDL seat. I started with a beadrider which helped greatly, especially on hot days. I then tried the LD riding shorts. The combination of beads and shorts got me to 500 mile days which covers 95% of my riding. I am still considering an RDL, but given that my LT is 10 years old and has been quite a troublesome machine, I likely won't own it enough more years to justify a $1,000+ dollar seat.

VOICE II
Navigator V
Motorrad Communicator
post #28 of 30 Old Jun 16th, 2017, 2:52 pm

My standard riding gear is comprised of LD riding tights and long sleeve LD top covered by aerostich Darien Light pants and jacket. These keep me warm on cooler days if I add the thermal liner to the jacket. On100+ days, the heat blast is kept off of me. I usually keep the LT wing vents closed.

I do have mesh pants and jacket, but there is a fine temperature range (70-85) where I have found them useful on shorter trips.

I don't have a heated seat as I am never cold. The heated grips have been used on those 30-40F degree days.

Kontour reworked the seat twice for me to get it just right. 600 mile days are a breeze. Could not have done SS1000s without it.

Roger Barth

1973 Honda CL350 (Red)
post #29 of 30 Old Jun 16th, 2017, 6:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspyder View Post
My standard riding gear is comprised of LD riding tights and long sleeve LD top covered by aerostich Darien Light pants and jacket. These keep me warm on cooler days if I add the thermal liner to the jacket. On100+ days, the heat blast is kept off of me. I usually keep the LT wing vents closed.

I do have mesh pants and jacket, but there is a fine temperature range (70-85) where I have found them useful on shorter trips.

I don't have a heated seat as I am never cold. The heated grips have been used on those 30-40F degree days.

Kontour reworked the seat twice for me to get it just right. 600 mile days are a breeze. Could not have done SS1000s without it.

I started out with a BMW jacket that had internal liners for rain and thermal. I still use it, but the liners are a pain to use and an internal rain liner is just dumb.

I bought my mesh jacket a few years ago and found it to work great combined with a good rain suit. I am quite cold tolerant and can ride all day in the 60s with just a t-shirt under the mesh jacket. Add the rain coat and I can ride in the 40s. The mesh traps lots of air and the rain suit keeps it from blowing away. It was a great combination in the Alps, the U.K. and Newfoundland where the temps can vary a lot. With this two-piece combination, I can handle 40s to 100 and rain as well.

The Aerostich gear is attractive, but I have always questioned the value given the premium price. I have found the mesh jacket and rain suit combination very versatile for half the cost.

VOICE II
Navigator V
Motorrad Communicator
post #30 of 30 Old Jun 18th, 2017, 11:32 pm

I also use my aerostich liner as a jacket during cool/cold weather. Crams easily into a backpack for travel.

Roger Barth

1973 Honda CL350 (Red)

Tags
handlebars, horsepower, seat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.