• 8 Post By gorm5
  • 1 Post By bison13
  • 1 Post By james216
  • 2 Post By Buff8stuff
  • 4 Post By BennyBob

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jun 11th, 2017, 12:16 am Thread Starter

Why do you like to ride [your K1200]?

Last year, I lost my riding buddy. He got a sailboat which took most of his weekends, then he had some surgery "down under" and he found he couldn't stay in the saddle for more than 30 minutes on the initial go and then 15 minutes at a time after that. He sold his 6 month old R1200RT (with every option I could imagine). Ouch. With no bike, this summer he's going to be on the sailboat most weekends. I'll miss riding with him because he pushed me to ride better. He is much more accomplished on the bikes than I am and an afternoon of chasing him through twisties improves my skills. I'd take my turn at lead and he'd critique me so I could improve.

Without him to create an excuse for getting out on the LT, I have not been getting out as much. Today, I needed to make a run to Columbus (about 75 miles each way). I took the back roads so I could avoid the I-70 super slab. The morning started at about 75 degrees and then it got up to 88 on my thermometer on the return leg.

As I was riding, I kept thinking about how much I like riding. I kept asking myself, "Why? What is it about riding that I like so much?" I really wanted to be able to explain it to SWMBO*. But, I couldn't explain it to myself. I told SWMBO that I was trying to figure it out and she thought it might be the solitude. But, I do enjoy riding with others. I continue my introspection.

So as I am trying to figure out why I like riding, I'd like to know your thoughts. Maybe you'll have the right words to explain it to myself.

Dave (in Dayton)

* SWMBO = She Who Must Be Obeyed
PMitchell likes this.

Dave

2000 BMW 1200LT
1989 PC 800
2005 Suzuki Bergman (sold to buy 1200LT)
1974 Honda 360CL (didn't move out of California with me)

Last edited by bison13; Jun 11th, 2017 at 7:26 pm. Reason: Corrected the bike model of my neighbor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jun 11th, 2017, 1:49 am

Re: Why do you like to ride [your K1200]?

For me, it isn't just one thing, it is many. I like to ride alone because I like riding and any excuse to get out ( like today) when my significant other had things to do and I had the better part of the day to myself and just went out for a quick 150 RTE to Suches for my favorite BLT and then on to the loop, past the rock pile and off home again. Sat at a table with my lunch and had a casual conversation with some HD riders I had never met on just how crazy were those TT riders as it was on the screen in the lodge. Not likely I will ever see them again but who cares, it was pleasant.

I also like riding in a small group as it does sharpen my skills being only of moderate craziness myself yet still wanting to be able to hold a better line just a little faster though the curves than I do and trying to keep up with better riders forces me to improve.

Then there is that unspoken comradery that is displayed by most other riders signified by that low wave or nod in passing to relay that yes, they too have that respect for others and acknowledge it in passing to others like me who often find themselves out especially when the weather is good. It is a sense of community with those of like mind and passion, done in total anonymity with a smile as if from a friend known for many years.

For anyone who has read and taken the test for the 5 love languages, you would know what Quality Time is. This is also an area where my significant other and I cross paths. We both love to ride and the time spent together riding definitely falls into that quality time bucket filling our tanks and renewing our spirits as we roll along. I do look forward to going out with her riding pillion with nothing but an intercom between us and the open road.

It is a passion that can be enjoyed solo or with others equally, providing its own type of reward and satisfaction based on the circumstances at the time. If it happens to be alone, fine. If someone else is along for a time on the trip, even better but it is never a requirement as that type of mandate detracts from the experience of wanting versus having to go.

I ride because I can and there is nothing else like it and it doesn't matter where.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Signature
post #3 of 12 Old Jun 11th, 2017, 9:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bison13 View Post
Last year, I lost my riding buddy. He got a sailboat which took most of his weekends, then he had some surgery "down under" and he found he couldn't stay in the saddle for more than 30 minutes on the initial go and then 15 minutes at a time after that. He sold his 6 month old R1600. Ouch. With no bike, this summer he's going to be on the sailboat most weekends. I'll miss riding with him because he pushed me to ride better. He is much more accomplished on the bikes than I am and an afternoon of chasing him through twisties improves my skills. I'd take my turn at lead and he'd critique me so I could improve.

Without him to create an excuse for getting out on the LT, I have not been getting out as much. Today, I needed to make a run to Columbus (about 75 miles each way). I took the back roads so I could avoid the I-70 super slab. The morning started at about 75 degrees and then it got up to 88 on my thermometer on the return leg.

As I was riding, I kept thinking about how much I like riding. I kept asking myself, "Why? What is it about riding that I like so much?" I really wanted to be able to explain it to SWMBO*. But, I couldn't explain it to myself. I told SWMBO that I was trying to figure it out and she thought it might be the solitude. But, I do enjoy riding with others. I continue my introspection.

So as I am trying to figure out why I like riding, I'd like to know your thoughts. Maybe you'll have the right words to explain it to myself.

Dave (in Dayton)

* SWMBO = She Who Must Be Obeyed
It is all about physics. God created us to maintain our acceleration vector vertical through our feet or butt. Only motorcycles and airplanes do this since they bank during turns. Cars, trains, etc., cause the acceleration vector to tilt giving a lateral component that makes you want to slide sideways rather than just get pushed straight down. So, that is why I like motorcycles (and airplanes as I am a pilot also). Just a simple matter of physics!

Ok, I am being a wise guy. I really have no way to explain it. I just like it and always have since starting on mini bikes at age 10 or earlier. Probably a combination of the aforementioned physics, but also the minimalist nature of feeling the wind, rain, sun and, yes, snow occasionally. Smelling the smells, feeling the temps rise and fall as you go up mountains and down into valleys. Hearing things you miss in a car. I think dealing with the risk is also a part of it.

I like to travel and the bike will take me places a motor home can't and even many cars can't comfortably such as cow paths in the Alps and Scotland and Wales. And my wife likes to ride so that helps also.

As to the minimalist comment, that seems incongruous with an LT. I am thinking about a simpler bike so I can so some off-roading again as I enjoyed as a teen. I recently test rode a KLR650 and it was a hoot. Simple and light. Only negative is a stratospheric seat height. The light weight helps offset the height. I sat on the bike in the showroom and when I stood it up it went over center more quickly then expected. I am used to the 100 lb shove required to get my LT vertical. I thought I was going to tip over to the right and domino a row of new motorcycles. However, as soon as my right toe touched down the KLR650 instantly stopped motion, unlike the LT which would have required a 200 lb push to stop it from toppling.

I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but when I return from my business trip I probably will call the dealer and but one. Brand new they only cost about what two LT ABS modules cost!

I can then leave the LT home when I just want a fun local ride or want to explore some fire roads or trails. In my research I have found the KLR to have a following even stronger than the LT and huge aftermarket support. The array of accessories is mind boggling. Deciding what to buy will be a real challenge.

2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise"
VOICE II
Navigator V
Motorrad Communicator

post #4 of 12 Old Jun 11th, 2017, 3:55 pm

Where do I start?

"You're a smart guy. Why would you want to ride a death trap?"

"Do you have a death wish?"

"Those things are too dangerous!"

"I hope you're an organ donor."

"Are you just trying to look cool?"

I could go on for hours. I've heard it all. My respectful response is as follows:

1) Riding motorcycles isn't for everyone.
2) There is truly a world of difference between traveling in a car/truck and on a motorcycle. You are much more connected to the environment (sounds, wind, temperature). Even the mundane trip to work on my bikes are more of an "adventure" as opposed to just transporting myself in my truck.
3) Most importantly, it's the only activity I'm aware of that is simultaneously relaxing and exhilarating. Most of my riding buddies agree with that paradox.

Patrick Russell
I live and ride in Illinois, which has some of the straightest roads in the country.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 Bluish Honda CB 650 (retired)
1986 Red Honda Nighthawk 450 (abandoned)
Didn't own a bike from 1999 to 2012
1997 Black Honda Valkyrie (still own)
2005 Ocean Blue BMW K1200LT (bought in March '16)

IBA Saddlesore 1000 finisher

Notable motorcyle trips:
Tail of the Dragon/Deal's Gap.
The Grand Algoma Loop in Canada.

Bucket List destinations:
Sturgis (maybe)
Nova Scotia
Pacific Coast highway
post #5 of 12 Old Jun 11th, 2017, 4:15 pm Thread Starter

I can completely understand the draw of the physics.

Growing up, I spent a lot of time on a water ski, cutting and jumping across the wake.

I am also a pilot. I was a private pilot long before I became a motorcycle owner. I had the amazing opportunity to attend US Air Force pilot training where I got to fly fingertip formation (3 feet of separation at 200-250 kts..relative speed zero) in the T-37. After 9 months of pilot training, I washed out of the program. While I was awaiting an assignment, I spent a couple weeks at the local airport getting my single and multi-engine commercial ratings.

During my follow-on assignment I picked up a Honda 360. That was my first bike. I rode it around Edwards AFB. It wasn't unusual for me to put 30 miles on my bike on the 4.4 mile ride home.

After pilot training, I continually looked for ways to recreate the teamwork and precision of formation flight. I next found riding bicycles in pacelines. Riding in a double paceline was a blast when we could find the right roads to ride four abreast at 25 to 30 miles per hour with riders 6-10 inches off your shoulders. Lots of that physics stuff in the quasi-peloton.

I do know why I enjoy the motorcycle on my commute. I am completely aware of my environment. I experience the sights, the smells, the variations in pavement, the idiots who are doing things other than driving, the differences in temperature a small stand of trees or a field of green grass makes along the way. I would arrive home energized at the end of the 8.8 mile commute when I rode the bike. I also regularly rode 30 miles at lunch, too.

Maybe carving a turn through the twisties is that call of physics principles.
PMitchell likes this.

Dave

2000 BMW 1200LT
1989 PC 800
post #6 of 12 Old Jun 11th, 2017, 4:20 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorm5 View Post

[snip]

... it's the only activity I'm aware of that is simultaneously relaxing and exhilarating. Most of my riding buddies agree with that paradox.
This is so true! This may be the elegant essence of my question!

Dave

2000 BMW 1200LT
1989 PC 800
post #7 of 12 Old Jun 11th, 2017, 10:16 pm

Well. For me it's solitude and to get away from all of lifes stresses and worries.As far as why i love the LT. A motorcycle is a very personal thing. If you listen to alI the negative reviews and not what makes the LT great. I wouldn't know it's a great touring bike.I happened to test ride one and fell in love and bought one. Then read all the issues it has.Thank god i didn't freak out and sell it.I ride by myself at times because people don't seem to be available. But. Do you ever see a motorcycle in front of a Psychiatrists office???? Nope you sure don't. I live in Cleveland and as i said ride by myself alot. Having some knee issues. So. Once i get back in the saddle. Maybe we can meet up.
PMitchell likes this.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.

Last edited by james216; Jun 11th, 2017 at 10:34 pm.
post #8 of 12 Old Jun 12th, 2017, 8:03 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorm5 View Post
Where do I start?

"You're a smart guy. Why would you want to ride a death trap?"

"Do you have a death wish?"

"Those things are too dangerous!"

"I hope you're an organ donor."

"Are you just trying to look cool?"

I could go on for hours. I've heard it all. My respectful response is as follows:

1) Riding motorcycles isn't for everyone.
2) There is truly a world of difference between traveling in a car/truck and on a motorcycle. You are much more connected to the environment (sounds, wind, temperature). Even the mundane trip to work on my bikes are more of an "adventure" as opposed to just transporting myself in my truck.
3) Most importantly, it's the only activity I'm aware of that is simultaneously relaxing and exhilarating. Most of my riding buddies agree with that paradox.
Spot on!

I have a friend who loves water sports, anything that can be towed behind his boat. I think it's the same. I've not spent a lot of time on the water and never behind a boat, but the feeling in a fast boat is the same as I get on my bike.

I don't have to go nearly as fast on the bike as I do in a cage to feel some excitement. The rout I take to work has four roundabouts and some nice twisty road. Lots of peg scraping without exceeding the posted by more than a bit.

My favorite saying is "Only a biker understands why the dog sticks his head out the window."

Why do people jump out of airplanes, off bridges, buildings and cliffs? Why hang from a giant kite? We are built to experience the rush of adrenaline!
Our ancestors got it hunting dangerous game to eat and escaping those that wanted to eat them as well as doing battle with neighboring tribes.

Riding a bike is the most civilized way to still experience that rush.
PMitchell and gorm5 like this.
post #9 of 12 Old Jun 12th, 2017, 1:13 pm
Lifetime Supporter

For me, it's cheaper than therapy. I find it cathartic. Even though I have a heightened sense of presence during the ride due to the need for extreme vigilance because of the ever increasing number of distracted drivers, I find it profoundly relaxing. Rather being an observer of what I pass, I'm more a part of it (sight, sound, smell & touch). The feel of the twisties, the temperature changes related to altitude and weather, is all a part of the experience. ...maybe that's it, when I get home, I didn't just go somewhere, I experienced the journey. Whatever it is, it's in my blood. Best stress reliever ever! Good question, thanks for asking.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #10 of 12 Old Jun 14th, 2017, 9:03 pm

The enjoyment of a motorcycle is difficult to explain to those never experiencing it. There are many experiences in life that words are inadequate to cover. For example, watching a child being born is one the most amazing experiences in life but can't be truly comprehended until someone actually does it.

As a child, I loved my bicycle. I was on it everyday, sometimes for hours riding all around, enjoying the freedom, the ability to go where I wanted and more. The motorcycle provides an escape from life for a short time, the thrill of running some twisties (although I need a lot more practice), a connection with the scenery in a much less obstructed view with all of the other senses involved as well. It is the ability to sit back and relax while the countryside passes by OR crank it up for some adrenaline with the speed, acceleration, lean angle and maneuverability the bike affords.

The profound experience of riding the bike and seeing others who understand is the reason for the biker's wave; we understand each other in a way others can't connect with, even though we don't really know each other at all other than a nice wave on the road.

Current Ride: '02 LT - The Mistress
post #11 of 12 Old Jun 16th, 2017, 4:35 pm

So, there is an auction coming up in my area. They are auctioning off several motorcycles, a Spyder, a handful of ATVs and a other stuff of course. I went by to check out the bikes (would love to get the Spyder so my wife would enjoy the road with me...she will not get on two wheels!). There is a 2001 Goldwing going on the block. They had charged the battery and wanted to start it up. Of course, out of the 100 buttons on the bike, the guy was having fun trying to find the start button. Long story short, he got things straightened out and it started straight away. Being as this was the 1800cc competition for the K1200, I figured it needed a short test ride, so I asked.

The Wing has 48k on the clock and looked pretty loaded and well taken care of...until it was no longer ridden much. It was quite dusty but I am sure they will clean it up before the actual auction. I had to rub off some dust on the windshield so I could see through it. Anyways, the place let me take the bike out for a 10 minute ride. Of course, the road was quite straight and the Wing loves going straight. The Wing ran along effortlessly, chewing up the miles in comfort...I got up to about 60+mph (into 5th gear, to see if it would run 5th). I didn't want to push my luck on a bike with 3 year-old expired tags belonging to someone else if pulled over. I enjoyed the driver backrest and the smooth ride. There was a lot of noise that I wasn't expecting, kind of a roar. I think it was the tires on the road, specifically the rear tire.

I couldn't believe how much pressure it took to make the Wing change lanes or make my u-turns (thanks to whoever's parking circle I used). Maybe, the tires needed a little bit of air in them. It is amazing how much changes with 8-10 more psi in the tires. The bike itself ran great in all gears, had plenty of power but wasn't ridiculously faster than my K12. The Wing seemed to have a smoother and more powerful acceleration up to about 5-6k rpms, when the Wing was ready to go to the next gear before the first redline. Of course, on the K bike, at 5k rpms, it is chomping at the bit to go somewhere.

For me, the K12 is the right bike over it's direct competition from about the same year. My K12 is just as smooth (maybe more so), just as comfortable and was much more easy to maneuver. The Wing or the K12 would be a great ride across the flatlands on the straight roads, maybe a toss-up...until you find the twisties and the K bike shows it's inner beast.

So, why the K12 specifically for me? Chews up the freeway miles with ease at any legal speed in the USA and even a little above (or a lot), Runs smooth and powerful for cruising through the land (no, it's not a race bike), Tracks well in a straight line, Protection from the elements, Gets over 200 miles on a tank of gas in city (more when running the out of town), Handles the twists and turns as well as the straights. It truly is a great Sports Touring bike that meets much of the Sports side and has the comfort and ease of the Touring side.

Current Ride: '02 LT - The Mistress
post #12 of 12 Old Jun 17th, 2017, 10:41 am

Since I removed the trunk (probably to have and lost better than never had) it just seems to handle like a LARGE sport tourer. Still not a fan of parking lot manners or turning around on a straight away. But if this same bike lost the servo brakes and had an in-dash GPS-integrated stereo with BT music/phone I'd buy another one tomorrow!

MarkF
2009 K1200LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.