1999 k1200lt starting issue/fuel problem/help! - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 86 Old Jun 8th, 2017, 10:03 pm Thread Starter

1999 k1200lt starting issue/fuel problem/help!

I have a 99 lt I just pick up week ago with a bad clutch ran great no issues starting ect... pull bike apart after reading and learning what needed to be don't gothink clutch in all swap and put back together. Forgot battery was super low left key to acc spot and didn't know that had that tell found out the hard way. Put battery in try to jump it and all i got was click click at this time pump would come on just fine but bike wouldn't turn si I pull battery out charge up 100% put in hooked up battery and made sure on center stand sidestand up in f not reverse check in natural also kill switch in center. Still get nothing no pump and no cranking at all when hit starter button I've check my wires to starter hooked up right I've check my fuses. Try play with alarm nothing I'm at lost I know my starter isn't getting pwr to starter when hit switch and my pump isn't getting pwr at the bottom were pump hooks up only power of get is on top of tank like 3.2v up on top plug... hopfully all this info some one has had problem like me can help me point me into the right direction....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 86 Old Jun 8th, 2017, 10:48 pm

Re: 1999 k1200lt starting issue/fuel problem/help!

Well bump to the top of the list. Let's start with your battery. You have no history on it and you killed it once. What is the voltage across the terminals when you hit the start button. Less than 10 (maybe 9 if your lucky) volts or so and it is no good. Then there is the start relay. Good on you for being able to do a clutch job on the bike, that is a huge job. Go slow and use logic to follow power to the starter and starter relay system. The Clymer manual is not too bad, can be quite a bit of help.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

K13S & DR650 (gone through a few RT's)
R1200GS (2014)
S1000R
Mount Vernon Cannon Works
post #3 of 86 Old Jun 8th, 2017, 11:03 pm

John Zeller ( jzeller) recently told someone with a similar issue after taking the battery out for an extended period of more than a few minuntes but not sure how long that the alarm system may have gotten out of sync with the fob as it uses a rotating code system. If the pump ran before you pulled the battery to charge and it doesn't now, then you either have an alarm issue or an interlock issue disabling the system. Also, make sure you don't have a missed wire hanging lose for the battery.

If the pump doesn't run at key on, is the alarm still disabled or does it clear? Check the reverse knob and cycle it, make sure the side stand is up and that it is not in gear. Check the kill switch position, I know, just saying and check the clutch handle switch.

I do not have an alarm on mine but John said to work through the fob whatever that means to the point where it syncs back up with the alarm. He said he had to do over 40 cycles on one to get it back in sync.

If it has been retrofitted with the new blue starter relay, that has a cut out below 10V to protect the relay. Check the battery voltage key off and key on to make sure it is high enough to engage the starter.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Signature

Last edited by bmwcoolk1200; Jun 9th, 2017 at 10:07 am.

post #4 of 86 Old Jun 9th, 2017, 10:30 am Thread Starter

I charged battery was 12.8v when I try starting it. I get nothing when I push my start button no sounds no lights dimming nothing. All radio lights ect are working fine. Just not sure why the start and pump don't get pwr I swap pump relay around didn't help. Check starter relay get pwr in it but not sure other then the red wire what should have pwr? The distribution blocks both only show ground with test light neither one of them are getting pwr the driver side were starter wire runs to isn't hot either not sure what's going on all my wires are ran right... any ideas what to check next?
post #5 of 86 Old Jun 9th, 2017, 10:42 am Thread Starter

Try mess with alarm it does work when I click it I get one beep two beeps and a really loud horn when I don't have it off. Sometimes if it's on I turn the key to on it will beep once. I made sure put stand up, play with reverse fwd gear, made sure in neturel, start button kill switch in center,alarm off from what I can tell,key on battery charged and still nothing no click no sounds. I have a brown and black wire on my ground side is all and two on positive side and of corse few accessories hooked up are there any more wires I'm missing as far as the main ones?

Last edited by 99k1200lt-Justin; Jun 9th, 2017 at 11:02 am.
post #6 of 86 Old Jun 9th, 2017, 10:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99k1200lt-Justin View Post
I charged battery was 12.8v when I try starting it. I get nothing when I push my start button no sounds no lights dimming nothing. All radio lights ect are working fine. Just not sure why the start and pump don't get pwr I swap pump relay around didn't help. Check starter relay get pwr in it but not sure other then the red wire what should have pwr? The distribution blocks both only show ground with test light neither one of them are getting pwr the driver side were starter wire runs to isn't hot either not sure what's going on all my wires are ran right... any ideas what to check next?
The distribution blocks are ground ( brown) and the link between the starter and the starter relay ( Black) I believe so neither one will be hot unless the starter relay is engaged.

This still sounds like an interlock issue. Either the alarm is not clearing or one of the interlocks is open preventing the load shed relay from closing. I do not have or know how to use the alarm with the fob so does the alarm clear when you turn on the bike. Don't have my book with me to trace the schematic and see where it ties in.

Put it in reverse and turn the rear wheel back and forth a bit in order to move the starter. If that has a bad connection from worn brushes, it might affect this as the starter is the ground through the brushes for the load shed relay. If it makes a difference, then you may be looking at pulling it apart again and replacing the starter. I just did this with a friend on his LT for starting issues very similar to this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

Signature
post #7 of 86 Old Jun 9th, 2017, 11:28 am Thread Starter

Exactly what I thought starter took crap so I pull all apart again took it to local shop had looked at tested said work perfectly and inside was perfect to. I'm not sure if one beep means alarm is off or two buy I've try both ways and I get nothing. I'm stumped cause I know my startery is good I have a fully charger battery my connections are tight and right yet no pump or cranking at all...
post #8 of 86 Old Jun 9th, 2017, 11:48 am

Read here post #2 from John:
Alarm removal
Being your bike is a 1999, and I do not know where you are located, I would remove the alarm. If someone can lift a 800 pound bike, they could have it!

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #9 of 86 Old Jun 9th, 2017, 11:52 am Thread Starter

Thanks I think I'll go ahead take the alarm system out! I'm in salem oregon you? Appreciate all the help I'll keep you all updated I hope it's just the dang alarm..
post #10 of 86 Old Jun 9th, 2017, 11:53 am

Quote:
Exactly what I thought starter took crap so I pull all apart again took it to local shop had looked at tested said work perfectly and inside was perfect to. I'm not sure if one beep means alarm is off or two buy I've try both ways and I get nothing. I'm stumped cause I know my startery is good I have a fully charger battery my connections are tight and right yet no pump or cranking at all...
Well, if your starter is good and you did the wheel bump in reverse anyways regardless of what you think, then you have an interlock issue. Some people have damaged the switches behind the reverse knob in removing them or while removing the transmission. WIggle that knob and hold it forward to see if you get any pump action. Measure the side stand switch. It has contacts for both down and up. Recheck all the plug connections. Something is lose or missing if it worked before and not now. Look really hard around the battery and make sure you didn't miss a wire that should be on one of the posts. If all you did was pull the battery, focus in that area. You missed or damaged something.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

Signature
post #11 of 86 Old Jun 9th, 2017, 12:31 pm Thread Starter

I've looked it over and check wiring so many times I can't find any wires I'm missing I took switch off tran before removal so wouldn't get damages and Imy think about take alarm out just got figure it out all wires 90% look time be blk and trying to make sence of post to were you cab take bypass it ect but can't find anything matches wat I'm reading on forms to how to take it out thinking you guse are right about alarm makes sence with no fuel and no start that alarm is problem just need figure that out to atleast rule that out

Last edited by 99k1200lt-Justin; Jun 9th, 2017 at 2:37 pm.
post #12 of 86 Old Jun 9th, 2017, 1:06 pm

Quote:
U I've looked it over and check wiring so many times I can't find any wires I'm missing I took switch off tran before removal so wouldn't get damages and Imy think about take alarm out just got figure it out all wires 90% look time be blk and trying to make sence of post to were you cab take bypass it ect but can't find anything matches wat I'm reading on forms to how to take it out thinking you guse are right about alarm makes sence with no fuel and no start that alarm is problem just need figure that out to atleast rule that out
Justin, I have not messed with the alarm system so I can't guide you in that area. jzeller may be able to chime in and give some more things to check and where to look for instructions to remove the alarm if you think that is the culprit.

Most people damage the reverse switches while removing them before dropping the trans so it is widely recommended to just leave them on so they don't get damaged. You can measure them to see if they are functioning properly. Did you remove or touch anything else in the span between removing the battery to charge it and replacing it? plug or unplug anything at all?

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

Signature
post #13 of 86 Old Jun 9th, 2017, 1:55 pm Thread Starter

I have went over all plugs and wiring see if I missed anything only thing I forgot plug in is the clock mpg cluster but dought that controls starting and fuel? I hook reverse back up no damge it went smoth just slid it carefully over the two nipplesides and put back three alend bolts it shows on dash reverse when in and off when not... I just don't see any missing wires I failed to hook up or nothing... do you have a picture of your battery and cables that are hooked up to your maybe I can compare mine to yours?
post #14 of 86 Old Jun 9th, 2017, 2:37 pm

Quote:
I have went over all plugs and wiring see if I missed anything only thing I forgot plug in is the clock mpg cluster but dought that controls starting and fuel? I hook reverse back up no damge it went smoth just slid it carefully over the two nipplesides and put back three alend bolts it shows on dash reverse when in and off when not... I just don't see any missing wires I failed to hook up or nothing... do you have a picture of your battery and cables that are hooked up to your maybe I can compare mine to yours?
I don't have a picture of my battery handy and I am not sure it would be the same depending on extras like alarm system. Something changed from the time you removed the battery to the time you replaced it seeing you had the pump run before. I would recheck all the fuses WITH a meter, not just by looking visually to be sure.

Still sounds like one of your interlocks is open so you are going to have to check through them and see where the disconnect is. I don't remember what fuse it is but from the ignition switch, 12V enters the right multi function switch on a green wire, passes through the kill switch and out a green with red stripe and on to the interlocks and emergency shut off and motronic relay. You can get into the electrics area under the tank and check the wires on the left multi switch for power from there to the relays. Or you can get into the right switch cluster and do the unthinkable of pushing a pin through both the green and green with red wire without pulling the tank and measure across them and even short them out to see if the kill switch has died. If you have a T2 torx bit, you can disassemble the switch and try to test it directly. Going to take some detective work to find where the breakdown is if nothing is obvious.

I burned out my kill switch and had to track it down that way as i had the same issue as you but I knew I burned something out from trying to use an incompatible relay. Most of the insulation around the wire bundles had deteriorated so accessing the wires was easy. I taped them up with cloth friction tape as it went back together to protect them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02206.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	396.1 KB
ID:	127145  

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

Signature
post #15 of 86 Old Jun 9th, 2017, 3:09 pm Thread Starter

OK I'll look into that... where and what are the interlocks again? I'm gonna try alarm found image shows how bypass it I'll give it shot. I've check all fuses with my snapon test light also has a volts display. All getting pwr to both sides and I have tank of of the bike try test wires for power I'm not sure what should and shouldn't have pwr.... I just can't wait to ride this bike! Atleast I hope starting to lose hope in it... :-/

Last edited by 99k1200lt-Justin; Jun 9th, 2017 at 3:31 pm.
post #16 of 86 Old Jun 9th, 2017, 3:20 pm

Quote:
OK I'll look into that... where and what are the interlocks again? I'm gonna try alarm found image shows how bypass it I'll give it shot. I've check all fuses with my snap on test light also does volt display. All getting pwr to both sides and I have tank offor of the bike try test wires for power I'm not sure what should and shouldn't have pwr.... I just can't wait to ride this bike! Atleast I hope starting to lose hope in it...
If you have the tank off and the electrics box open, you can access the right multi function switch plug. It is in the area circled in red and can be identified easily as it is a black 10 pin plug with a single heavy wire coming off it connecting to the blue plug that can be seen in the picture. You can measure the switches there and also test for 12V leading to the switch cluster from the ignition switch.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC02233A.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	425.6 KB
ID:	127153  
99k1200lt-Justin likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

Signature
post #17 of 86 Old Jun 9th, 2017, 3:37 pm Thread Starter

Ok, I'll see what I can come up with now trying to understand stand I need test for pwr on it when pressing the starter button or I should have pwr all time there?
post #18 of 86 Old Jun 9th, 2017, 3:55 pm

Quote:
Ok, I'll see what I can come up with now trying to understand stand I need test for pwr on it when pressing the starter button or I should have pwr all time there?
Power comes into the switch from the ignition switch on the green wire and then goes up to the kill switch where it is either stopped in kill position or passed through on the green with red stripe back down to the connector. The green will have 12V all the time with key on and the green/red will or should change with the change of kill switch position. If you can find the two pins and measure the switch closed and open, you can then find where the 12V should be where the plug is connected to the harness.

Green wire must have 12V with key on. If not, then ignition switch or fuse is suspect.
Green/red should have 12V in run position and not when on either side.

If this all looks OK, then you need to measure the side stand switch. It plugs in on the left side under the tupperwear with the 4 connectors together.

There is a check for the side stand down while in gear so make sure that you see the gears change up and down in the display indicating you have the gear position selector attached to the rear of the transmission correctly.

The reverse controller is part of the interlocks but I don't recall how to test that.

I believe the clutch handle switch is also part of the interlocks so test that.

It also could be a bad relay. There are two located underneath the connector block where the multi function switch connects separate from the 6 easily visible at the top of the electrics box. One of those is the emergency cut off relay, the other is the brake light relay. If you pulled any relays out, make sure it didn't push any of the connectors out through the bottom and is not making a connection any longer.

I will think on this some more and try to come up with more to test regarding the interlocks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Relay ID.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	127161  

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

Signature
post #19 of 86 Old Jun 9th, 2017, 5:20 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input really helpful information gonna go out try testing all this stuff after I get home from getting my boy from school I'll give you up date later hopfully all this and I'll have good news cause I'm going crazy not know what it is... any other info think might be helpful let me know. Appreciate it really hope one of these things will fix it and get her on the road wanna cruise to beach with wife for are anniversary this month...
post #20 of 86 Old Jun 9th, 2017, 8:14 pm Thread Starter

U man anyway I could get call if you have time I disable the alarm connected pin 3-4 and 5-6 got nothing still I'm not sure what test or were to go now if could call me give me some advice and what to try and how over phone really mean alot call me please if you can 503-999-1224
post #21 of 86 Old Jun 9th, 2017, 8:56 pm Thread Starter

So tested the function switch green red wire get pwr key on switch on put to kill I shuts pwr down just like should. I tested relay pwr for pump I get power in but the other three pins are dead try another relay same thing nothing got pwr to starter relay nothing out either. On side stand how do I I test it I do notice that stand sensor when moving it up and down it don't really move smoth like back for just kinda moves some not sure if that's normal? I try jump the relay for fuel pump just pop the fuse... what else can I check or do so far no luck with anything I've try or check?
post #22 of 86 Old Jun 9th, 2017, 10:13 pm Thread Starter

What is the relay under rear seat next to the alarm when I hook battery and unhook it clicks just wondering if that's normal or what it's for?
post #23 of 86 Old Jun 9th, 2017, 10:37 pm Thread Starter

So I took starter relay cover off looks good I took my test light can connect the points in relay the starter turn over like normal any idea why? Starting botton bad? Still yet to figure out why pump won't get pwr either got power on fuse to both side but nothing at the pump wiring no power there either....
post #24 of 86 Old Jun 9th, 2017, 11:22 pm

I don't believe I have a relay under the seat so I am going to take a blind guess that it is for the alarm as I don't have that either.

OK, power to the kill switch and from the kill switch to the emergency shut relay. Check!

Back again to it worked before you pulled the dead battery and doesn't once you replaced it. I am going to ask again, did you touch anything else at all in between pulling the battery and putting it back after charging it? If so, list it please.

You can test the starter button but until you figure out why the interlocks are not closed, it will not run unless you bypass all the safety features.

Did you locate the emergency shut off relay under the connector block as I pointed out for the right switch connector location. That has a connection to the reverse controller and the motronic relay leading back to the reverse switches still as a possibility. The side stand switch also has a connection to the reverse controller. Check the connectors to the controller and make sure no pins are bent and the connectors are seated properly. You can swap that relay with any other one that you know works like the horn relay to test. This relay is the center of the interlocks and what is probably keeping things from working but it is supposed to unless it is bad. If swapping it doesn't fix it, you still have another issue to correct.

BMW uses red and black for hot and brown for ground. Just make sure you don't have any crossed on the battery posts as a ADD thought.

I am running out of ideas without it sitting in front of me to test.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

Signature
post #25 of 86 Old Jun 9th, 2017, 11:41 pm Thread Starter

On the shutoff relay what do I test on it? Side stand should I try bypass it and see if that's the issue then I'll know if it's that and that way I can order a new one? Also I my nabor who put battery in told me few min ago while I was gone that he at first put it in backwards! Leads were on wrong could this have fried the ecu and that's why neither one getting signal????
post #26 of 86 Old Jun 10th, 2017, 12:53 am

Quote:
On the shutoff relay what do I test on it? Side stand should I try bypass it and see if that's the issue then I'll know if it's that and that way I can order a new one? Also I my nabor who put battery in told me few min ago while I was gone that he at first put it in backwards! Leads were on wrong could this have fried the ecu and that's why neither one getting signal????
Ouch!

I have no idea what damage could be caused by installing the battery backwards but if that was done, I would probably win that bet that it did damage something. If you truly did bypass the alarm, that leaves 3 major modules that might have been damaged, 4 if not including the ECU, the reverse controller and the ABS controller. Sniff them and smell for burnt stuff. Both the reverse controller and the ABS look to have always hot and ground connections to them. The ECU looks to be switched through the ignition but I am not an expert in all of this yet.

I might start by finding someone with a GS911 and see if there is any direction given by plugging it in and attempting to communicate with the modules. I don't think there is any test for the 99 reverse controller but it does have hooks in most of the interlocks so I can't count it out. The ABS does not look to connect to any interlocks but that doesn't mean it wasn't damaged. It can be communicated to via the GS911.

This probably won't be easy or cheap to fix now knowing this. You can get a 99 ECU for about $60 on Ebay and a reverse for around $100. I might be tempted to try the ECU first as it is the brains for everything and work from there. Hopefully something like the alternator would survive a forward bias through the winding but there is no telling till you figure it out. I have not come across that issue yet so i have no frame of reference to speculate on the damage.

Good luck Justin and welcome to the forum.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

Signature
post #27 of 86 Old Jun 10th, 2017, 1:05 am Thread Starter

Thanks I've went over all things I can no burn smell or and melted wiring ect everything works perfect still but pump and starter all still get 12v to fuses and to relays just not out of the relays like they aren't getting signal to tell them to kick on I was thinking maybe pull ecu and open it up look to see if anything is bad in there? And if it looks to be good nothing jumping out to try bypass the side stand se if it's that? Also do you happen to know what pins signal the pump and starter relays from the ecu? Keep in mind that the revθsed hooked up battery was first and the clicking and pump did run after swap leads to the proper way they stop doing nothing after I pull battery all the way out and charged it hooked it back up and then I got nothing and I've got it hooked up right and from what I've check thanks to you I've got everything I should have but my relays pwr to the starter and pump that I just wonder were or what norm tells those relays to transfer the power over and make them work because when I manually do the starter it cranks over no problem... any ideas on what you think I'd really aprricate it!
post #28 of 86 Old Jun 10th, 2017, 3:10 am Thread Starter

If my battery don't have right pwr let's say cause it's cheap battery I bought with would that be a resion to not get a fuel prime or a starter or would I still vet both with decent volts still I've read and look at so many other forms I just really want to figure out what it could be alarm is bypassed that's out side stand they say don't matter if in nutural? And I've check so many thing I don't have a load Metter to test battery volts only read I get is from my test light volt reader.... I'm just really not sure why it's not getting pwr threw my fuel relay or my starter cause I know the both get pwr into them just not out and complete the circet is only issue....
post #29 of 86 Old Jun 10th, 2017, 9:29 am

Justin, any possible damage would not necessarily show up immediately. I have been following a thread on another forum where a lightning surge toasted a battery tender. The OP reported that he pulled off the damaged tender and started the bike and all looked normal. A few days later he went to start the bike and the battery was dead. After replacing it, only the lights and display would come on and nothing else worked. After taking it to the dealer, it was discovered that all the major modules had been damaged and needed to be replaced, yet it started and ran immediately following.

With the symptoms you are reporting, working before but not later after charging and the new knowledge that the battery had been installed backwards, I don't know where else to go other than to suggest you start replacing modules or get some diagnostic equipment hooked up to have a look see prior.

To answer your question, it looks like the emergency shut off gets its signal from the reverse controller with a link also to the right switch cluster BUT, those signals are controlled in conjunction with the ECU so there is no direction either way on what to replace first.

Not trying to rub anything in but it is far too beautiful a day to not go riding here. I will check back later but I don't think I have much else to offer at the moment. Maybe someone else has some additional ideas.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

Signature
post #30 of 86 Old Jun 10th, 2017, 11:09 pm

No other takers today on suggestions today. Were you able to do any further testing of anything mentioned so far?

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

Signature
post #31 of 86 Old Jun 11th, 2017, 1:11 am

Garage

if he did actually install the battery back to front the ecu will most likely be toast as well as a lot of other electronic components, take the bloody thing to a professional and stop mucking around with it.

Regards Linton

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #32 of 86 Old Jun 11th, 2017, 7:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle View Post
if he did actually install the battery back to front the ecu will most likely be toast as well as a lot of other electronic components, take the bloody thing to a professional and stop mucking around with it.
My experience with "professionals" has been mixed. Most know less about the LT than me and I don't think anyone knows as much as the collective wisdom here.

I agree that reverse potential may have toasted a number of electronic components, the ECU being high on the suspect list. He needs to connect a GS-911 to see if the computer will talk at all. If not, needs to replace that first as it, with the 911, might help lead to other failed parts more quickly.

The biggest risk in cases like this is that with multiple failed parts, you can get into a vicious cycle of one failed part causing the failure of newly installed parts. Sometimes you have to isolate major components from the ECU and then connect them one at a time to ensure you know which is the culprit should a new ECU fail quickly after installation.

This is likely less a concern on a relatively simple bike like the LT as there are not a lot of interacting systems.

2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise"
VOICE II
Navigator V
Motorrad Communicator
post #33 of 86 Old Jun 11th, 2017, 2:45 pm Thread Starter

I appreciate all they input guys! If there were any shops even close to me i might ask then to scan unfortunately none withing few hrs from me. I'm not a rich man I got 4 little kids just finally got my dream bike and I'm very handy with fixing things im just not huge electrical type of guy I know how test things to point. As far as replace and fixing things no problem I've been a mechanic most my life... Im ASE cert in ac, brakes, suspension ect... but I will say my first time doing anything huge on a mortorcyle but belive me I've learned so much from this site in last few weeks I can do anything to one of these bikes no problem... but this dang issue is just endless... I'm gonna pull my ecu out in few min see if anything looks burn out I do know I still get pwr out alot of the pins... now we're is the reverse things I should check just the side switch or is there a actual module ect?
post #34 of 86 Old Jun 11th, 2017, 2:47 pm

With connecting the battery cables in reverse, my take is the reverse controller took the hit. I thought I remember reading this somewhere on this site but a search turned up nothing.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #35 of 86 Old Jun 11th, 2017, 4:26 pm Thread Starter

I pulled ecu out took apart nothing smells or looks to be hurt at all looks perfect no discolor nothing... do you have any picturesuggestions of the controller for reverse is it big box on the driver side under the kick panel? Should I pull it? Is there anyway to bypass or way to test this so I know if that's my issue and get another?
post #36 of 86 Old Jun 11th, 2017, 4:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino View Post
With connecting the battery cables in reverse, my take is the reverse controller took the hit. I thought I remember reading this somewhere on this site but a search turned up nothing.
Mike, that is good information if you are remembering correctly. This isn't something i have read about yet. Both the ABS module and the reverse controller have direct un-switched power connections so either or both might have been damaged but I don't believe the ABS is connected to the emergency shut off interlocks as the reverse controller is. That makes it a choice of ECU or reverse controller to swap first but I don't know of anything to test either other than replacement without a GS911 and I am not sure what that would show with regards to the reverse even if the ECU is still functional and would respond to diagnostics.

Justin, the reverse controller is located on the left side just behind the 4 connectors. See attached circled. I don't think it can be bypassed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0010A.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	528.0 KB
ID:	127185  

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

Signature
post #37 of 86 Old Jun 11th, 2017, 5:49 pm Thread Starter

Thanks so I removed it took cover off don't see nothing jumping out but has a black jell type stuff insulting the wiring I tested it before pulling I did notice the main power does get into box but there was only one wire the was hot on both of the barolls all rest of them where dead only one wire was hot with key on. With key off power shit off thw pwr went off but that's it. Do you know if thats all that should be hot is one? And I can see that being wrong? It is the first thing to get pwr and ground instantly... Any other things to try or test on the box or if any of this info sounds like may be bad to you guys I'm gonna go ahead and order another one today if so... I value all your opinions greatly!
post #38 of 86 Old Jun 11th, 2017, 6:04 pm Thread Starter

You don't happen have any parts lay around would part with or did you end up selling your bike off see got total just wonder if u still have the bike some were could get parts from.... maybe sell the rest of bike? figure I'd ask before go online try find parts...
post #39 of 86 Old Jun 11th, 2017, 6:23 pm

Quote:
You don't happen have any parts lay around would part with or did you end up selling your bike off see got total just wonder if u still have the bike some were could get parts from.... maybe sell the rest of bike? figure I'd ask before go online try find parts...
Still using all the parts on my bike as often as I can

Ebay is where to go and the lowest price one is not always the best choice especially for electronics. Hard parts can be inspected by the posted photo if authentic of the part. I just bought a EHCS and the cradle has some cracks I will need to weld. Didn't show up in the photos but it is something I can fix so not a big deal to me as they are rare to show up.

You still haven't filled out your profile with a location yet. There may be someone close enough to meet up or come by with a GS911. Not sure if you posted where you are in the thread yet.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

Signature
post #40 of 86 Old Jun 11th, 2017, 10:12 pm

Garage

Since you had the clutch out did you remove the reverse interlock from the transmission or simply unplug it, the first time I did mine I snapped the little detents off when I refitted it, the engine will not turn over in this situation.

Regards Linton

2002 K1200LT
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #41 of 86 Old Jun 11th, 2017, 10:57 pm Thread Starter

I belive I removed it didn't even realize could unplug it so easly at the time... it's the one right by the slave cylinder on the rear of the trans right? The one you have to squeeze togther to get it to come off? Im pretty sure I put the one nipple I saw back into the hole or did I miss somthing?
post #42 of 86 Old Jun 11th, 2017, 11:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle View Post
Since you had the clutch out did you remove the reverse interlock from the transmission or simply unplug it, the first time I did mine I snapped the little detents off when I refitted it, the engine will not turn over in this situation.
Said he had no trouble removing and replacing the switches but definitely worth a second look. I was advised to leave it all on and I did to prevent just that occurrence when I did my clutch. In spite of the reversed battery connections, it is worth a second look.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

Signature
post #43 of 86 Old Jun 11th, 2017, 11:14 pm Thread Starter

Right I just don't smell/seem/see any sign of burn or issues with anything yet.. i did have a clicking after reverse connections to go right and pump did work after cables were reverse to normal it was when I took battery out charge it. Because was so low had no choice. Put it back in then I got nothing no pump and no starter witch both were perfect I've tested them both and I do get power to all my relays/fuses I just don't get signal to complete my circuts... I can complete the starter circuit and starter cranks perfect and if i hook pump to pwr to separate source works perfect also... just wish I know if it's really bad parts or just a lockout issue bikes just block the signal...

Last edited by 99k1200lt-Justin; Jun 11th, 2017 at 11:40 pm.
post #44 of 86 Old Jun 12th, 2017, 12:11 am Thread Starter

The on board computer not be plug in wouldn't hurt anything starting wise would it?
post #45 of 86 Old Jun 12th, 2017, 5:34 am

Garage

Quote:
I belive I removed it didn't even realize could unplug it so easly at the time... it's the one right by the slave cylinder on the rear of the trans right? The one you have to squeeze togther to get it to come off? Im pretty sure I put the one nipple I saw back into the hole or did I miss somthing?
Nope that's the gear indicator controller.
it at the base of the reverse shaft against the gearbox
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bmw.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	127193  
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

Regards Linton

2002 K1200LT
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #46 of 86 Old Jun 12th, 2017, 10:26 am Thread Starter

Got ya... I just unbolted that lever made sure kept every thing as it was then bolted it back up works good far as switch gears but I'll try look into it closer anything to check for on it or is it just a replace thing to note way to test?

Last edited by 99k1200lt-Justin; Jun 12th, 2017 at 11:18 am.
post #47 of 86 Old Jun 12th, 2017, 11:12 am

Quote:
Got ya... I just unbolted that lever made sure kept every thing as it was thenot bolted it back up works good far as switch gears but I'll try look into it closer anything to check for on it or is it just a replace thing to note way to test?
There is a set of ( I think ) 2 switches behind the reverse knob assembly and I think 3 bolts that hold on the knob mount. Just going from memory. The knob mount comes off but everyone recommends to leave the switches in place as they can be easily damaged getting them off. If you took them off the trans, inspect them carefully. I don't have any pictures of them or what people break. I left mine on.

Even so, the likelihood of module damage is still looming large from the reversed battery but check those switches anyways for damage.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

Signature
post #48 of 86 Old Jun 12th, 2017, 11:44 am

Here are a couple pictures I found of the switchces. Not sure what gets broken, maybe the bits inside to activate the switches. There is also a link to a reverse issue and how to test the switches function in post #4 of that thread.

Reverse Problem, Please Help
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	reverse gear switch in bike.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	127217   Click image for larger version

Name:	reverse switch B.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	127225  

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

Signature
post #49 of 86 Old Jun 12th, 2017, 5:27 pm Thread Starter

OK I did not pull switches then all I pull was the handle stuff never pull anything else off... and I'm gonna order one today I just have gut feeling that it's not bad but at this point what else can I do...
post #50 of 86 Old Jun 12th, 2017, 5:36 pm

Quote:
OK I did not pull switches then all I pull was the handle stuff never pull anything else off... and I'm gonna order one today I just have gut feeling that it's not bad but at this point what else can I do...
Check it with a multimeter. That is what I did when I thought I might have buggered mine. Fortunately, mine tested fine. Somewhere, maybe the BMW manual or a JZ post, I found which wires should have continuity in each position.

2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise"
VOICE II
Navigator V
Motorrad Communicator

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.