Light under fairing lowers - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Voyager

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old May 16th, 2017, 7:39 pm Thread Starter

Light under fairing lowers

Hi I'm new to this forum and just picked up a 2009 K1200lt a couple of weeks ago. I've had at least 1 BMW since 1984 (and still have that one). We've already put about a thousand miles on the bike and the wife and I really like it. Tonight when we parked in the garage when I turned the key off lights came on under the lower fairing and stayed on for 15 or 20 seconds, hadn't noticed this before. Can't find any info about these lights, it does have the BMW J-pegs installed so it this light to help you see the j-peg if it was deployed when dark?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old May 16th, 2017, 8:43 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Light under fairing lowers

They are called "ground effect" lighting and were added to the LT in 2005. The top dash light will also come on if the switch is in the right position. They were designed to give you a view of your footing when stopping in the dark but they come on far too late for that so I don't know what the Germans were thinking. The LT is quite a ride and if you came form cruisers then shift a little later in the RPM band for better pull. First gear is good to 62 mph before you hit the rev limiter

John
2009 K1300GT
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 Ocean Blue Blue Wizard
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

CCR 06 Braselton CCR 07 Osage Beach CCR 08 Midway
CCR 09 Rapid City CCR 10 Killington, VT,CCR 11 Boise, CCR 12 Duluth
CCR 2013 Bend, CCR 2014 Backyard! CCR 2015 Couer d'Alene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old May 17th, 2017, 6:29 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I have 2 RT's, a 1984 R100RT with 125,000 miles and a 2002 R1150RT with 133,000 miles. Put all the miles on the 84 and all but 5,000 on the 02. I actually find the LT to be more maneuverable than the 02 RT, the weight is centered lower.

post #4 of 7 Old May 17th, 2017, 12:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwhite View Post
Thanks for the reply. I have 2 RT's, a 1984 R100RT with 125,000 miles and a 2002 R1150RT with 133,000 miles. Put all the miles on the 84 and all but 5,000 on the 02. I actually find the LT to be more maneuverable than the 02 RT, the weight is centered lower.
You and I are the only two people in the world who believe this. When I first joined the forum, I read horror stories about the LT being top heavy, unstable below 5 mph, prone to falling over once a month and, horror of horrors, guaranteed to go down if you use the brakes while turning at less than 10 mph!

I came from a similar size, though maybe a little lighter, bike - a Kawasaki Voyager XII. I found the LT no harder to ride than the Kawasaki. I have yet to drop it in 10 years and 57,000 miles. I use the brakes all the time while turning at low speeds. I find it no more top heavy than the Kawasaki.

I have concluded after 10 years that the problem is rider skill, not the LT.

The lights are goofy as John said. I guess you can check the surface before deploying the side or center stand. They would be much more useful if they came on at speeds less than say 5 mph when the brakes are being applied.
Notahog likes this.

2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise"
VOICE II
Navigator V
Motorrad Communicator
post #5 of 7 Old May 17th, 2017, 12:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
They are called "ground effect" lighting and were added to the LT in 2005. The top dash light will also come on if the switch is in the right position. They were designed to give you a view of your footing when stopping in the dark but they come on far too late for that so I don't know what the Germans were thinking. The LT is quite a ride and if you came form cruisers then shift a little later in the RPM band for better pull. First gear is good to 62 mph before you hit the rev limiter
Yep. I came from a cruiser. A Intruder VL1500. I was sjort shifting the LT at first. Then you guys set me straight on reving it out. Much better.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #6 of 7 Old May 17th, 2017, 1:35 pm Thread Starter

Every time I have backed my 02 RT down a steep grade it wants to lay down. The first time I forgot to turn on the key and it was a real seat pucker. When I picked up the bike at the dealer in STL (first time on a K-LT) I completed a u-turn a good 2 feet shorter radius than I felt comfortable with on the RT. I thought to myself wow this is different.

Also thanks for the reply, don't know why I didn't notice the lights the first 3 or 4 times parking in a dark garage.

Last edited by gwhite; May 17th, 2017 at 1:37 pm. Reason: left out a sentence
post #7 of 7 Old May 17th, 2017, 5:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Yep. I came from a cruiser. A Intruder VL1500. I was short shifting the LT at first. Then you guys set me straight on reving it out. Much better.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.