Navigator III installed in 99-04 LT? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Axle
  • 2 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By JNW003

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Apr 11th, 2017, 12:33 pm Thread Starter

Navigator III installed in 99-04 LT?

Has anyone installed a Navigator III in the older LTs (99-04)? I am making a separate thread on this topic because there may be some interest in installing these units in the older LTs. My 02 does not seem to have the factory wiring. Sometimes, older bikes have the factory connectors in anticipation of the newer bikes having different accessories such as the Navigator. I would like a wiring diagram of the Navigator system so I can figure out what wire goes to what on the unit so I can splice it in to my radio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Apr 11th, 2017, 5:18 pm

Garage
Re: Navigator III installed in 99-04 LT?

there used to be lots of threads on this sort of stuff, don't know what happened to them, Do not splice the gps into the radio speakers you will blow the GPS audio circuit. I tried it years ago. take the power from the map light and earth it there, that switches off the gps when you lock the ign. Personally I use a $100 car gps and have done now for years

Edit found them here

all files are here
Nil_Time likes this.

Regards Linton

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT

Last edited by Axle; Apr 11th, 2017 at 5:24 pm.
post #3 of 8 Old Apr 11th, 2017, 9:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima View Post
Has anyone installed a Navigator III in the older LTs (99-04)? I am making a separate thread on this topic because there may be some interest in installing these units in the older LTs. My 02 does not seem to have the factory wiring. Sometimes, older bikes have the factory connectors in anticipation of the newer bikes having different accessories such as the Navigator. I would like a wiring diagram of the Navigator system so I can figure out what wire goes to what on the unit so I can splice it in to my radio.
The Nav III is long obsolete, short on memory for modern maps and has no external storage capability. I can't think of one good reason to add one to a bike that isn't already set up with a mount and cradle for it. Even then, I would upgrade to a current model.
DanDiver and JNW003 like this.

2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise"
VOICE II
Navigator V
Motorrad Communicator

post #4 of 8 Old Apr 13th, 2017, 3:04 pm Thread Starter

I added one on my 08 K12S....plug n play. I like it. Works great. For the LT I can use the Navigator 3 and my phone GPS to help me navigate across the country
post #5 of 8 Old Apr 19th, 2017, 12:45 pm Thread Starter

The answer is....yes....a Navigator III can be attached to a 99-04 LT.

I tapped into the map light (remove windshield, and remove trim piece behind instruments) and routed the 2-wire harness around the left side of the dash. I found a 2-wire connector at Pep Boys, meant for an alternator and soldered the connector to the end of the wire. Now the bike is ready to accept the Navigator connection, but I needed to prepare the stingray to mount the unit.

In order to prepare the stingray, the little BMW logo is removed by gently prying it up.

The stingray has to be taken apart by unscrewing 6 torx screws and a few phillips screws. Underneath the logo is a sunken area that is exactly the size that needs to be drilled out with a hole saw or step bit, which I used. The GPS comes with a little plate that can be used as a template to mark and drill the 4 mounting holes. After drilling the holes, the GPS mount can me bolted to the front section of the stingray.

The wiring has to be routed BEFORE you attach the GPS mount. Now the cradle is bolted to the lower mount, and the GPS can be mounted inside the cradle.

Here is the wiring routed through the bottom of the stingray:

Here is the Navigator III mounted to the stingray:

I connected the wires from the stingray to the bike, including the Navigator connector and everything worked. The Navigator sits just above the radio display and just below the dash lights so everything is visible. My unit came with a sunshade which keeps glare to a minimum except i the sun is directly behind me.
post #6 of 8 Old Apr 19th, 2017, 2:08 pm

I can understand if you already have a Nav III cradle that buying another Nav III might make sense. However, if you have to do wiring, I am at a loss as to why anyone would want an obsolete device that can't be easily loaded with current maps and can't hold enough of the new maps to travel more than 500 miles from home.

Once I found that the Nav V was completely plug and play with my Nav III equipped LT, upgrading was an easy decision. If I had an older LT, I might forgo the Navigator and just get a Garmin branded motorcycle unit and save a couple hundred bucks.

My last long trip with the Nav III was PA to Newfoundland in 2015. I found a way to load the current maps using a combination of new and old Garmin programs, but I barely could load enough map regions to get from here to NF. Even the eastern US was far too big. Every trip required me to plan the route and then pick map regions that just covered that route. Any significant detour off the planned route and I could easily run out of map. Got to be a real PITA.

2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise"
VOICE II
Navigator V
Motorrad Communicator
post #7 of 8 Old Apr 19th, 2017, 3:13 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Voyager has the right idea. I donated my Nav III to a Curve Cowboy Reunion charity auction and I think it went for about $20 for the entire system. I kept the mounting brackets like shown on your stingray on the washing machine, and installed a Garmin 590LM. The Nav III unit was pretty much useless on my last long distance trip, as the maps were so out of date, it was missing gas stations, hotels, roads, housing areas, etc. and frustrating to need to stop to pull out the smartphone for directions. The 590 solved that problem.
Notahog likes this.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 Old Apr 19th, 2017, 4:55 pm

I wouldn't waste the time on a Nav III. It's very slow on recalculating and that's just the start. Get something a little newer that you can use and not get frustrated with.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.