Oil Filter question - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By mtrevelino
  • 2 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By Voyager
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Mar 31st, 2017, 3:46 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Jose, California, USA
Posts: 260
Oil Filter question

This is for a 1999 K1200LT bike.

Is there a Huge difference between Oil filters for this bike ?

For example: Is the FRAM PH6063 filter any good ? It suppose to fit this bike.

Compared to the Mahler or other filters (the one in the Yellow & Green box, Mann I think is the brand, it is made in Austria)...is there much of a difference between these brands ?

Thank you all.
BMW_forever is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 Old Mar 31st, 2017, 4:27 am
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 26
Re: Oil Filter question

Never used them.
I use K&N kn-163 on my K100rs, K1200 uses the same one.
I have been very happy with them.
red85k100rs is online now  
post #3 of 23 Old Mar 31st, 2017, 6:39 am
Senior Member
 
mtrevelino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Williamsburg, VA, USA
Posts: 2,245
Re: Oil Filter question

If you do a search this has been discussed many times. I think as long as you do not use a "painted" filter, you should be ok. If it were me, and you do not want to support your local dealer, I would order six from BeamerBoneyard and not worry about them for a long time. Plus they come with the large O-ring for the cover housing.
Here is a couple of search links:
Wix Oil Filter
Oil Filter Cross Reference
Dick likes this.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mtrevelino is offline  
 
post #4 of 23 Old Mar 31st, 2017, 7:16 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 4,965
Re: Oil Filter question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino View Post
If you do a search this has been discussed many times. I think as long as you do not use a "painted" filter, you should be ok. If it were me, and you do not want to support your local dealer, I would order six from BeamerBoneyard and not worry about them for a long time. Plus they come with the large O-ring for the cover housing.
Here is a couple of search links:
Wix Oil Filter
Oil Filter Cross Reference

Yes, unpainted and sticker free is the main criteria. I buy mine from BBY. Bosch as I recall. Based on reviews I have read and tests I have seen, I stay away from anything with Fram or K&N on the box.

I would lose no sleep with a filter from Mahle, Mann, Bosch, Wix, Purolator or a few other brands that I can't remember at the moment.

2007 K1200LT, VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator, K7MSW

Last edited by Voyager; Mar 31st, 2017 at 1:06 pm.
Voyager is offline  
post #5 of 23 Old Mar 31st, 2017, 11:11 am
Senior Member
 
davebullock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: waukesha, WI, USA
Posts: 278
Re: Oil Filter question

BBY for filters. I have used them for years, and buy them buy the dozen for my LT and my son's LT. Mobil 1 15w-50, every 3500 miles. My bike just turned 165K, and uses no oil. I also change final drive fluid every oil change, which takes all of 5 minutes.

48 states
2000 LT 165,000 miles
2007 RT P 42,000 miles SOLD
1982 vision 550 Yamaha SOLD
1964 Vespa 175 w/sidecar (homemade by neighbor) SOLD
1966 Honda CL77 (2016-17 winter project)
Four corner Iron Butt ride
48 state/12 day ride 2016
davebullock is online now  
post #6 of 23 Old Mar 31st, 2017, 11:28 am
Senior Member
 
bmwcoolk1200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,202
Re: Oil Filter question

I agree with Voyager. Stay away from the K&N as they have a stamped metal nut on the bottom which in my case simply rounded off and I had to destroy the filter to get it out. PO must have tightened it with a torque wrench at 50 FT LB or wiped the sealing surfaces and put it on dry. Some things are worth trying to skimp on and others I am finding are not worth the resulting trouble.

Signature
Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced
bmwcoolk1200 is offline  
post #7 of 23 Old Mar 31st, 2017, 4:41 pm
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 26
Re: Oil Filter question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
I agree with Voyager. Stay away from the K&N as they have a stamped metal nut on the bottom which in my case simply rounded off and I had to destroy the filter to get it out. PO must have tightened it with a torque wrench at 50 FT LB or wiped the sealing surfaces and put it on dry. Some things are worth trying to skimp on and others I am finding are not worth the resulting trouble.
I have over 300k miles on my bike 85 k100rs with K&N, NEVER had any problems with the nut stripping or paint coming off. You say the previous owner probably put it on with a torque wrench. I doubt it, I bet you are right he didn't oil the o-ring. You would have had the same problem no matter what filter was used.

And oil filters only need to be tightened just passed hand tight.

And no I don't work for them, Just a happy customer. I also use their reusable air filter too.
red85k100rs is online now  
post #8 of 23 Old Mar 31st, 2017, 6:40 pm
Senior Member
 
bmwcoolk1200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,202
Re: Oil Filter question

Quote:
Originally Posted by red85k100rs View Post
I have over 300k miles on my bike 85 k100rs with K&N, NEVER had any problems with the nut stripping or paint coming off. You say the previous owner probably put it on with a torque wrench. I doubt it, I bet you are right he didn't oil the o-ring. You would have had the same problem no matter what filter was used.

And oil filters only need to be tightened just passed hand tight.

And no I don't work for them, Just a happy customer. I also use their reusable air filter too.
To each their own. Once bitten, twice shy..

Signature
Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced
bmwcoolk1200 is offline  
post #9 of 23 Old Mar 31st, 2017, 7:57 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 4,965
Re: Oil Filter question

Quote:
Originally Posted by red85k100rs View Post
I have over 300k miles on my bike 85 k100rs with K&N, NEVER had any problems with the nut stripping or paint coming off. You say the previous owner probably put it on with a torque wrench. I doubt it, I bet you are right he didn't oil the o-ring. You would have had the same problem no matter what filter was used.

And oil filters only need to be tightened just passed hand tight.

And no I don't work for them, Just a happy customer. I also use their reusable air filter too.
And airplanes and original Beetles got by with no oil filter at all. If you change your oil often and don't drive in dusty conditions, the oil filter is largely redundant. However, those times when you need it, a good one makes all the difference.
Patric and johnbaker15 like this.

2007 K1200LT, VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator, K7MSW
Voyager is offline  
post #10 of 23 Old Mar 31st, 2017, 9:46 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Jose, California, USA
Posts: 260
Re: Oil Filter question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino View Post
If you do a search this has been discussed many times. I think as long as you do not use a "painted" filter, you should be ok. If it were me, and you do not want to support your local dealer, I would order six from BeamerBoneyard and not worry about them for a long time. Plus they come with the large O-ring for the cover housing.
Here is a couple of search links:
Wix Oil Filter
Oil Filter Cross Reference
I actually did a search on this site for oil filters and came up with many things not related to the topic thus I posted a new posting.

Why no painted filter....because it contaminates the oil. Do the paint breaks down on all of them ?

I think most of them are painted.

Thanks
BMW_forever is offline  
post #11 of 23 Old Mar 31st, 2017, 10:14 pm
Senior Member
 
bmwcoolk1200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,202
Re: Oil Filter question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_forever View Post
I actually did a search on this site for oil filters and came up with many things not related to the topic thus I posted a new posting.

Why no painted filter....because it contaminates the oil. Do the paint breaks down on all of them ?

I think most of them are painted.

Thanks
In the case of the LT, the filter resides inside the oil pan. Paint due to heat and oil might just flake off and be splashed around outside the filter and get into things it shouldn't and cause damage. The stock filters are not painted and some of the after market are. If you feel lucky, go with a painted filter. It is one easy thing to avoid by getting the correct filter in the first place. No paint, no possibility of paint flaking off inside your engine. Do ya feel lucky. Well, do ya?

Signature
Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced
bmwcoolk1200 is offline  
post #12 of 23 Old Apr 1st, 2017, 2:32 am
Senior Member
 
Moogie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Hamilton, Oh., Butler
Posts: 180
Re: Oil Filter question

I think the Clymer says one quarter turn after the filter seal meets the metal. Had the K&N curse when a mechanic over torqued the filter, a $30 set of Irwin reverse sockets fixed it. I think K&N would be OK in the hands of an informed owner. You can get the Bosch at the parts store. Glad the weather is changing. Ride safe.

2000 Lt
800 Kawasaki
25 yrs. without
750 Suzuki
550 Suzuki
160 Honda









The ride is fresh under diamond skies, makes me glad to be alive.
Moogie is offline  
post #13 of 23 Old Apr 1st, 2017, 4:47 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Jose, California, USA
Posts: 260
Re: Oil Filter question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogie View Post
I think the Clymer says one quarter turn after the filter seal meets the metal. Had the K&N curse when a mechanic over torqued the filter, a $30 set of Irwin reverse sockets fixed it. I think K&N would be OK in the hands of an informed owner. You can get the Bosch at the parts store. Glad the weather is changing. Ride safe.
Ok, I have to ask all of you....why NO Fram filters ?

I never used them on this bike but they happen to be on huge sale now. Can't tell if they are painted or not for this filter for this bike.

Have you guys had bad experiences with Fram ?

I know the filters are fairly cheap, just trying to buy a large quantity to save on the shipping too.

Thanks.
BMW_forever is offline  
post #14 of 23 Old Apr 2nd, 2017, 5:56 am
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 26
Re: Oil Filter question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
In the case of the LT, the filter resides inside the oil pan. Paint due to heat and oil might just flake off and be splashed around outside the filter and get into things it shouldn't and cause damage. The stock filters are not painted and some of the after market are. If you feel lucky, go with a painted filter. It is one easy thing to avoid by getting the correct filter in the first place. No paint, no possibility of paint flaking off inside your engine. Do ya feel lucky. Well, do ya?
How about oem filter? that should be good right?

Its painted
Or is it not a good filter?

All K bikes have the filter inside the motor, all the way back to 1984, and they all use the same filter (up to 1200's)

Last edited by red85k100rs; Apr 2nd, 2017 at 6:02 am. Reason: Ad info
red85k100rs is online now  
post #15 of 23 Old Apr 2nd, 2017, 6:58 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 4,965
Re: Oil Filter question

Quote:
Originally Posted by red85k100rs View Post
How about oem filter? that should be good right?

Its painted
Or is it not a good filter?n

All K bikes have the filter inside the motor, all the way back to 1984, and they all use the same filter (up to 1200's)
OEM is always a safe choice, just expensive. I believe it is printed with ink, not painted. Painted may work, but you run a risk as most spin-on filters were designed for external use. Most internal filters are cartridge type. I still don't know what possessed BMW to use a spin-on filter inside the cases. Just stupid.

2007 K1200LT, VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator, K7MSW
Voyager is offline  
post #16 of 23 Old Apr 2nd, 2017, 9:19 am
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 26
Re: Oil Filter question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
OEM Most internal filters are cartridge type. I still don't know what possessed BMW to use a spin-on filter inside the cases. Just stupid.
100% agree
I have a bmw 528i (its a car) that has an internal oil filter.
Just a slide on cartridge. Its on top of the motor too.
red85k100rs is online now  
post #17 of 23 Old Apr 2nd, 2017, 11:16 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 4,965
Re: Oil Filter question

Quote:
Originally Posted by red85k100rs View Post
100% agree
I have a bmw 528i (its a car) that has an internal oil filter.
Just a slide on cartridge. Its on top of the motor too.
My Voyager XII had an internal cartridge filter and it worked well. It had a round cover that was o-ring sealed and held on by a single bolt. A little messy to remove, but easier than the three bolt BMW design. And no filter wrenche needed. Slide off the old filter and slide on the new one and screw the bolt and cover back in. No reason BMW couldn't have used a similar design.

My Equinox and Cruze have the top mount cartridge filters. Very low mess. The only issue is Chevy insists on locating hoses or wires above the filter cover making it hard to remove and replace. All those cars need now is a quick drain like my airplane had and they would facilitate nearly zero mess oil changes. Unfortunately, quick release drains and exposed oil pans aren't a good combination.

2007 K1200LT, VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator, K7MSW
Voyager is offline  
post #18 of 23 Old Apr 2nd, 2017, 12:20 pm
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 19
Garage
Re: Oil Filter question

NAPA Gold 1348, has no paint.
johnnya is offline  
post #19 of 23 Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 5:40 am
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 26
Re: Oil Filter question

Well, I got a call from my son yesterday.
He has a 91 k100rs.
"Dad I can't get the oil filter off, I striped the nut."
Yes its the K&N.

Last edited by red85k100rs; Apr 3rd, 2017 at 5:41 am. Reason: spelling
red85k100rs is online now  
post #20 of 23 Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 5:52 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Jose, California, USA
Posts: 260
Re: Oil Filter question

Ok let me ask this again since all the answers seem to have nothing to do with the question:


....why NO Fram filters ?

I never used them on this bike but they happen to be on huge sale now. Can't tell if they are painted or not for this filter for this bike.

Have you guys had bad experiences with Fram Oil filters for this bike ?

I know the filters are fairly cheap, just trying to buy a large quantity to save on the shipping too.

Thanks.
BMW_forever is offline  
post #21 of 23 Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 9:56 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 4,965
Re: Oil Filter question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_forever View Post
Ok let me ask this again since all the answers seem to have nothing to do with the question:


....why NO Fram filters ?

I never used them on this bike but they happen to be on huge sale now. Can't tell if they are painted or not for this filter for this bike.

Have you guys had bad experiences with Fram Oil filters for this bike ?

I know the filters are fairly cheap, just trying to buy a large quantity to save on the shipping too.

Thanks.
Your bike, your call. It is analysis like this that influenced me.

Engine Oil Filter Study

I saw several reviews on K&N air filters many years ago and they flow more air, but they also flow more dirt. I haven't investigated their oil filters as I had no reason to do so.

I ride lots of dirt roads so I favor filter performance over engine performance. I want filters that filter well, have quality anti drain back valves (for engines that need that), etc., over filters that flow a little more air or oil. If I was a racer, I would probably consider K&N as winning is more important than long engine life. As a street bike rider, I favor long engine life.

I know this is an oil filter thread, but it is tests like this that keep K&N filters out of my vehicles.

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

2007 K1200LT, VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator, K7MSW

Last edited by Voyager; Apr 3rd, 2017 at 10:15 am. Reason: Added air filter link
Voyager is offline  
post #22 of 23 Old Apr 3rd, 2017, 11:16 am
Senior Member
 
bmwcoolk1200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,202
Re: Oil Filter question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Your bike, your call. It is analysis like this that influenced me.

Engine Oil Filter Study

I saw several reviews on K&N air filters many years ago and they flow more air, but they also flow more dirt. I haven't investigated their oil filters as I had no reason to do so.

I ride lots of dirt roads so I favor filter performance over engine performance. I want filters that filter well, have quality anti drain back valves (for engines that need that), etc., over filters that flow a little more air or oil. If I was a racer, I would probably consider K&N as winning is more important than long engine life. As a street bike rider, I favor long engine life.

I know this is an oil filter thread, but it is tests like this that keep K&N filters out of my vehicles.

K&N Air Filter Review - Debunking the Myths (and why OEM is better)
Yep, I just took the K&N air filter that came with my bike from the PO out and replaced it with a stock filter. That air filter link shows why. I would have had it out earlier but the stock filter I bought to replace it went to Pirate Don during maintenance on his bike as he too had a K&N so we swapped it out while we had it apart.

I do have 2 K&N LT filters if anyone wants them cheap They won't go back in my bike.

Signature
Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced
bmwcoolk1200 is offline  
post #23 of 23 Old Apr 20th, 2017, 11:17 pm
Member
 
Rhawk2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Wilsonville, Oregon, USA
Posts: 30
Re: Oil Filter question

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebullock View Post
BBY for filters. I have used them for years, and buy them buy the dozen for my LT and my son's LT. Mobil 1 15w-50, every 3500 miles. My bike just turned 165K, and uses no oil. I also change final drive fluid every oil change, which takes all of 5 minutes.
Dave,
You've got a 2000 LT with 165K...... Have you ever inspected or replaced the timing chain tension & guide rails?

Rand & Susan Hawksworth
2000 K1200LT Champagne
Rhawk2 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
oil change without filter change ?? mpillis K1200LT 6 Dec 31st, 2016 7:29 pm
Changing the oil myself for the first time AntRT RT Series 24 Jun 11th, 2014 4:09 am
Beryl Beemer Engine oil changes and filter replacements PhillWard Australia, New Zealand, and AsiaPac 1 May 28th, 2013 12:05 am
OIL - Red Light after 24K service LTFan K1200LT 11 Apr 21st, 2012 12:38 pm
OK: Stupid Oil Change Question tonyla K1200LT 9 Mar 28th, 2010 10:56 am

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome