• 1 Post By bmwcoolk1200
  • 2 Post By Buff8stuff
  • 1 Post By james216
  • 1 Post By jzeiler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Mar 20th, 2017, 2:32 pm Thread Starter

New clutch cost?

Hi all,

New LT owner here. 06 with 56K miles and everything works perfect but the clutch slips a lot on 1st gear. Need to throttle up a lot to get at a decent speed and not stall the bike. To me, that's just a clear sign of new clutch needed. I live in Sammamish, WA and I would love to know how much you guys have spent on replacing clutch, and where? Don't want to do it myself, want to pay for it.

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Mar 20th, 2017, 3:30 pm

Re: New clutch cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauro View Post
Hi all,

New LT owner here. 06 with 56K miles and everything works perfect but the clutch slips a lot on 1st gear. Need to throttle up a lot to get at a decent speed and not stall the bike. To me, that's just a clear sign of new clutch needed. I live in Sammamish, WA and I would love to know how much you guys have spent on replacing clutch, and where? Don't want to do it myself, want to pay for it.

TIA
mauro, Normally we see clutches slip in the higher gears under higher torque and load. It is a heavy bike and there is some skill and finesse involved in keeping the RPM low while getting her going without over reving and causing unnecessary wear on the clutch. I am not saying it isn't slipping on you but if you can rid normally after getting her going, I am wondering.

The true test unless it is oil contaminated badly in which case, it wouldn't go much at all is to get it in 4th or 5th gear at 50mph and roll on full throttle. If the tach increases faster than your speed does, the clutch is slipping.

There are a couple things besides wear that can cause an LT clutch to slip. Several seals on the transmission can leak and contaminate it as well as the rear main seal, along with the O-ring that seals the clutch housing to the output shaft. One more thing is the clutch slave can leak and that brake fluid normally has no where else to go but into your clutch again contaminating it.

Describe what you are having to do again to get her going as normally it slips worse the higher you get in gears and not the other way around.

Here is a list I put together a little while back and the costs are old and have gone up some too but it will give you an idea of what the parts cost is if you do everything normally required on this type of job. The high dollar hard parts may or may not need to be replaced but that can only be determined by inspection and measuring once you have it apart.

K1200LT clutch parts list
mauro likes this.

Signature
Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced
post #3 of 10 Old Mar 20th, 2017, 4:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter

The LT is a high RPM bike. It doesn't have the low end torque of most big bikes, so having to throttle up a bit to get going isn't unusual.

Just be aware that it is a dry clutch as well, and Doesn't like to slipped a lot. Once the bike starts moving it's best to let it engage fully. These bikes like to run from 3 to 4K on the tack to be comfortable, below that power is lacking to say the least.

Like Gordon said, if it's not slipping in the higher gears, your clutch is probably fine. You just need to get used to the High RPM take off. It seems to be especially strange to Harley riders that are used to taking off at under 1000 RPMs.

Welcome and enjoy!
Patric and mauro like this.

post #4 of 10 Old Mar 20th, 2017, 4:51 pm Thread Starter

Awesome Gordon, thanks! you're giving me hope it's definitely your first phrase: Heavy bike and skills/finesse to start on 1st gear without too much throttle. I have other bikes (KTM 1190 Adv and a Dirt Bike) and of course they are much lighter, so this doesn't happens....and I'm not a beginner on bikes. I just changed also gearbox oil, there's no leaking or anything like it. Bike is pretty well maintained in general and I had the first ride yesterday with the wife (she couldn't be happier on the back seat), so it's maybe that I need more riding hours to get used to it.

Nothing happens on 4th/5th gear when I rev up. No slipping at all.

Thoughts?
post #5 of 10 Old Mar 20th, 2017, 8:05 pm

Quote:
Awesome Gordon, thanks! you're giving me hope it's definitely your first phrase: Heavy bike and skills/finesse to start on 1st gear without too much throttle. I have other bikes (KTM 1190 Adv and a Dirt Bike) and of course they are much lighter, so this doesn't happens....and I'm not a beginner on bikes. I just changed also gearbox oil, there's no leaking or anything like it. Bike is pretty well maintained in general and I had the first ride yesterday with the wife (she couldn't be happier on the back seat), so it's maybe that I need more riding hours to get used to it.

Nothing happens on 4th/5th gear when I rev up. No slipping at all.

Thoughts?
Good on the no slipping. She is a high RPM bike but not for starts as it is a dry clutch already mentioned. 1st gear is pretty high and red lines somewhere around 62 MPH. If you do high RPM take offs, you will be replacing that clutch much sooner and likely overheat the seals causing them to leak. Get used to keeping it below 2000 RPM till you get going, then you can lay on it and run the gears up to the red line. She isn't a wet clutch racer but she will handle a lot like one in the curves even though she is a "touring" bike. That is why so many of us like it so much. It is fun to ride. Practice those starts and get use to the weight and high first gear and you will do fine.

Signature
Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced
post #6 of 10 Old Mar 20th, 2017, 10:36 pm

I agree with everyone, in a couple of weeks you will have it sorted out with your technique. I really wanted to share a good independent shop. Valentines at 39th and Aurora in Seattle. Mark is a Master BMW mechanic and their rates are reasonable.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

K13S & DR650 (gone through a few RT's)
R1200GS (2014)
S1000R
Mount Vernon Cannon Works
post #7 of 10 Old Mar 21st, 2017, 11:48 am

The trick with the LT is let the clutch slip only enough to get it engaged. Once it's more or less engaged. Let the lever out
Patric likes this.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #8 of 10 Old Mar 22nd, 2017, 8:42 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Rule of thumb for launching the LT properly is never exceed 15-1800 RPM while slipping the clutch to get her rolling. Once the clutch is fully engaged (and by now you should be halfway through the intersection) hammer the throttle with your left hand OFF the clutch and hold it. Once the bike goes past 4,000 RPM she will come alive and accelerate up to 60 MPH. Then shift out of 1st gear. If you don't shift you will hit the rev limiter at 62 MPH. Seriously, never exceed 2000 rpm while slipping the clutch or it will continue to slip until you roll off the throttle. Once the clutch is fully engaged go for it.

I think your clutch is just fine but you need to handle it differently than you have been. The LT is like no other bike.
Patric likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 Ocean Blue Blue Wizard
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

CCR 06 Braselton CCR 07 Osage Beach CCR 08 Midway
CCR 09 Rapid City CCR 10 Killington, VT,CCR 11 Boise, CCR 12 Duluth
CCR 2013 Bend, CCR 2014 Backyard! CCR 2015 Couer d'Alene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 Old Mar 23rd, 2017, 6:43 pm

you are doing great. a little practice and you will be fine. i do mostly highway miles and didn't change my clutch till 218k. you will be fine. i have an 16 RT which I love but there is NOTHING and I MEAN NOTHING like my LT. Best bike you will ever own.

Zeke

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #10 of 10 Old Mar 24th, 2017, 5:17 am

Quote:
Hi all,

TIA
As everyone told you your clutch is probably fine, just a learning curve to drive a "tank".
I rode mine to work yesterday, My coworkers called it a "RV" not a motorcycle.
They are use to seeing my 85 K100rs. Side by side my k100 looks like a beginner bike .

But to answer your question about cost to do a clutch.
Going thru the receipts that came with my bike
Replace clutch $798.21 @BMW dealer in May 2012 (labor $70 hr)
On the receipt it states:
"Customer complained bike acts like give it 1/2 throttle goes to full"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.