I'd be embarrassed but I'm too old... - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By ljjohns
  • 1 Post By sailor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Mar 18th, 2017, 2:47 pm Thread Starter

I'd be embarrassed but I'm too old...

I've had my K12LT (2003) since 2007 when it was a present to myself upon my retirement from the Army. And it'd been a delight as long as I was able to ride it confidently.

But then I did my second retirement from my University position, turning in over 2500 hundred hours of sick leave (to be used by folks who had depleted their own accounts for good and sufficient reasons, since I couldn't cash them out myself) and then started to have a series of events that incrementally began to restrict my riding--and my confidence in my ability to ride.

But the K12 is still there, and it has come time to renew the registration. In Texas, you need a "safety inspection" before you can renew the registration; it's basically a test of the brake lights, etc., along with a stopping test. The bike is up for renewal in April, and so I thought I'd get ahead of the game.

Now it was last inspected in March of 2016; at that time, it passed without a problem but when I'd taken it to the inspection station, the battery was weak, requiring a bump start before I could take it home. And so I purchased and installed both a new glassmat battery and a top-end trickle charger.

So in a fit of enthusiasm (I'd gotten a COPD diagnosis and then an inhaler which seemed to address all of the insidious symptoms which had been curtailing my activities) I decided to fire up the bike and take it to the inspection station.

But while the engine turned over vigorously, it never gave so much as a pop to indicate that it was firing. It had started up fine after I had installed the new battery, so I I don't think I screwed that up. I will confess that (l) the inspection sheet from last year revealed that the bike had only traveled 14 miles since that time last March and (2) I'd left less than a quarter-tank of gas in it at that point. So I've probably screwed up somewhere bigtime.

So the bike is back on the charger; I've poured 3 gallons of high-octane into the tank along with a full bottle of Techron. While I can't tell for sure (the pump on this bike is a lot quieter than those on my K75 and the K11s) I think the pump is working.

So I'll let the battery get fully charged and the Techron and new gas an opportunity to infuse themselves into the fuel mixture and try again tomorrow.

Any other ideas?

Larry Johnson
El Paso Texas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Mar 18th, 2017, 2:54 pm

Re: I'd be embarrassed but I'm too old...

I'm far from an expert but if the tank was mostly empty for a long time the hoses in the tank may have dried out and cracked.

MarkF
2009 K1200LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old Mar 18th, 2017, 3:10 pm Thread Starter

Thanks. That'll be on my list of things to check. At the moment, I'm just hoping that there's some kind of clogging in the fuel system that the Techron, cycling through multiple start attempts, will dislodge....

post #4 of 15 Old Mar 18th, 2017, 3:34 pm
Lifetime Supporter

There are guys on this board who are far more technical than me. But, if I remember correctly, you can diagnose a ruptured fuel line in the tank by turning on the ignition and, while the fuel pump is running, shine a light in the tank. If you see the fuel moving around, there is a rupture and the line will need to be replaced.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #5 of 15 Old Mar 18th, 2017, 3:44 pm Thread Starter

Thanks. I'll add that to the list of checks to be performed. I may have to work around the flapper which on this bike hasn't been removed.

Larry
post #6 of 15 Old Mar 18th, 2017, 4:19 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Some times a wire is left off the positive terminal during a battery change, there are several so double check that as well.

John
2009 K1300GT
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 Ocean Blue Blue Wizard
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

CCR 06 Braselton CCR 07 Osage Beach CCR 08 Midway
CCR 09 Rapid City CCR 10 Killington, VT,CCR 11 Boise, CCR 12 Duluth
CCR 2013 Bend, CCR 2014 Backyard! CCR 2015 Couer d'Alene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 Old Mar 18th, 2017, 4:37 pm Thread Starter

Among faulty memories of a long-past virility, I seem to remember that there was what I thought to be a minor connection that I addressed. So this will be high on the priority list for troubleshooting the problem. Again, thanks for your helpful responses.

Now if someone could point me to the fountain of youth which would permit me to ride again as I once did...

Thanks.

Larry
zippy_gg likes this.
post #8 of 15 Old Mar 18th, 2017, 9:49 pm

My best idea is to thank you for your service and salute you for your generosity in donating so much leave time to others. Hope you get to enjoy the bike once you've gotten through the fuel issue.

2002 Toscana Green K1200LTE
1998 Triumph Trophy 1200
1982 Yamaha Special II 650 (sold)
1968 Triumph Trophy 500 (sold)
1968 Puch 125 (passed along)
post #9 of 15 Old Mar 24th, 2017, 4:34 pm Thread Starter

So this old snail is doing God's work really, really slowly. Did lift the lid and look--there are two major connections to the positive post and then a third one (the one I repaired) with a 15A fuse in it; I suspect it's probably a line to the Corbin heated seats, but haven't checked it.
But then I have a smart-mouthed (but smart) son (he built from scratch his own Harley cruiser replica) and he was teasing me that I'd probably just left the kill switch in the off position. That got me excited enough to go out and check, but while turning/not firing when the kill switch was in the off position was a characteristic behavior of other bike makes, on this one if either the kill switch is off or the sidestand is down, nothing--at all happens.

So my question is this: is there some circuit where if there is no power the bike will turn over but not fire? (And this doesn't even sputter or smell or anything). And I can't hear if the fuel pump kicks in or not because the brake servos make too much noise in those first few moments to tell...

But this is not urgent; I can always fill time by deciding what I want my kids to say in my obituary.
post #10 of 15 Old Mar 24th, 2017, 5:19 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I am not familiar with your bike but is it possible to remove a spark plug to see if there is a spark when cranking? That could eliminate the ignition end of it. And if you cranked with a plug out I would suspect the smell of fuel too, Are there fuses on the bike?
post #11 of 15 Old Mar 24th, 2017, 6:12 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Most often it is fuel delivery, I have yet to see a spark failure here in 12 years. Hoses in the tank can spring a leak or even pop off.

That is where I would look first. Easy to check for fuel pressure (with out regard to actual measurement) by accessing the the fuel line quick disconnects. They have an internal shut off when disconnected and a turn of the key a few times will build up enough pressure. Then you can press the release and see if you get a squirt. Be aware of the fire hazard and have a rag to catch fuel.

The pressure line is indicated in the photo and has a white protrusion at the end, press that in to release any built up pressure into a catch rag. You will know if the pump/hoses are working correctly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Line ID.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	124201  

John
2009 K1300GT
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 Ocean Blue Blue Wizard
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

CCR 06 Braselton CCR 07 Osage Beach CCR 08 Midway
CCR 09 Rapid City CCR 10 Killington, VT,CCR 11 Boise, CCR 12 Duluth
CCR 2013 Bend, CCR 2014 Backyard! CCR 2015 Couer d'Alene

post #12 of 15 Old Mar 26th, 2017, 5:07 am

If is anything to do with the internals of the tank, I can recommend these people for price and efficiency.

https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/pr...k-231k1200.htm

Good luck
post #13 of 15 Old Mar 27th, 2017, 2:04 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by powwow View Post
There are guys on this board who are far more technical than me. But, if I remember correctly, you can diagnose a ruptured fuel line in the tank by turning on the ignition and, while the fuel pump is running, shine a light in the tank. If you see the fuel moving around, there is a rupture and the line will need to be replaced.
Just don't strike a match to inspect the . . . .

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

In July, to The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

'00 K1200LTC
'90 K75
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #14 of 15 Old Mar 27th, 2017, 6:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljjohns View Post

So my question is this: is there some circuit where if there is no power the bike will turn over but not fire? (And this doesn't even sputter or smell or anything). And I can't hear if the fuel pump kicks in or not because the brake servos make too much noise in those first few moments to tell...
Besides the note from JZEILER that is the most probable (lack of fuel pressure caused by damage / disconnect hose inside fuel tank) there are 2 other cases where the starter will turn, but nothing will happen (no firing event , no injectors event).
These are much less probable, so you should ALWAYS investigate the hoses inside tank first.
1) System does not see NEUTRAL light signal, side-stand is Down, and you pull the clutch lever (starter engages, but nothing will fire)
2) You have used GS911 to set system in mode to check Hall-sensor ignition trigger, BUT failed to complete the procedure to the end.

BY THE WAY, to help troubleshoot fuel-pump priming after ignition ON, always do it like this:
A) Ignition OFF, Kill switch to NO-START (left or right side), side-stand UP, Neutral
B) Turn Ignition ON, wait 6 seconds (you will hear the ABS servos self check for 2002+ models)
C) Move kill switch to CENTER position - immediately you should hear fuel pump priming for 2 secs.
D) In addition to pump priming, you should see the RED engine temp warning on dash (before starting engine).
simoncharles likes this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 91,000 miles)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #15 of 15 Old Mar 28th, 2017, 6:34 am

After reading Sailors's post I would suggest to try to start the bike with:
side
  • stand fully up,
  • and gearbox in neutral,
  • and clutch
lever pulled.
Good luck
Bruno

Bruno_C
K1200 LT 2006 70000km
Triumph Bonneville 2001
Triumph Bonneville 1972
Norton Commando 1976

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.