'07 Brake Lights stuck on?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By jzeiler
  • 1 Post By jzeiler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 Old Feb 7th, 2017, 10:54 am Thread Starter

'07 Brake Lights stuck on??

Greetings all.

I just found a thread regarding brake lights being stuck on, even with the key off. I'm not sure if that thread was completed and no longer active so I'm reposting here. It appears that I have the same issue on my 2007 LT. A week or so ago I got off the bike and attempted to put the center stand down and just got the blinking light on the dash. I put the side stand down and got off the bike and saw that the brake lights were on (key was off). I have added auxiliary brake and directional led lights along my top trunk. These are connected directly to the bikes original equipment lights. I also put some of those accent lights on but they have been disconnected and have no contact with the bikes brake lights. I was unable to get to the dealer for a couple days so I disconnected the ground from the battery and put the charger on the battery. (if I simply used the accessory plug on the bike the brake lights would stay on and the battery would not charge) I took it in to the dealer and was told that something in the additional lights had shorted out, they "cleaned it up" and gave me the bike back and the brake lights were off. I road it home and low and behold the lights were back on. I disconnected all the extra lighting wiring and they were still on, which led to my search of the site and to this thread.

After reading the thread I went out to check to see if there was any accumulated dirt or debris causing the switches to malfunction or if the switches could be heard to click as the pedal or hand brake lever were pressed. Naturally when I went to the garage and connected the battery the lights were not on. I listened to the light switches on the rear and front brakes. I could hear clicking from each switch when I pressed on the foot pedal or squeezed the handle. I am assuming this means that the switches were working. there did not appear to be any dirt, debris or anything else blocking the switch button on the rear brake. I turned the key on and the brake lights work with both the pedal and handle. (the servos all work) When I shut the bike off the lights went out.

I took the bike out the next morning and the brake lights came on and stayed on. So it was back to disconnecting the ground and putting the battery on the charger.

Is it possible that one of the switches is going and that's why I'm getting the intermittent problem? Could the relay be bad if the lights go out like normal, or if it were bad would they always be on? Or should I just change out both switches and the relay? Naturally I just filled the tank :-)

thanks for any help

Joe Rowland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old Feb 7th, 2017, 11:52 am

Re: '07 Brake Lights stuck on??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrowlandesq View Post
Greetings all.

I just found a thread regarding brake lights being stuck on, even with the key off. I'm not sure if that thread was completed and no longer active so I'm reposting here. It appears that I have the same issue on my 2007 LT. A week or so ago I got off the bike and attempted to put the center stand down and just got the blinking light on the dash. I put the side stand down and got off the bike and saw that the brake lights were on (key was off). I have added auxiliary brake and directional led lights along my top trunk. These are connected directly to the bikes original equipment lights. I also put some of those accent lights on but they have been disconnected and have no contact with the bikes brake lights. I was unable to get to the dealer for a couple days so I disconnected the ground from the battery and put the charger on the battery. (if I simply used the accessory plug on the bike the brake lights would stay on and the battery would not charge) I took it in to the dealer and was told that something in the additional lights had shorted out, they "cleaned it up" and gave me the bike back and the brake lights were off. I road it home and low and behold the lights were back on. I disconnected all the extra lighting wiring and they were still on, which led to my search of the site and to this thread.

After reading the thread I went out to check to see if there was any accumulated dirt or debris causing the switches to malfunction or if the switches could be heard to click as the pedal or hand brake lever were pressed. Naturally when I went to the garage and connected the battery the lights were not on. I listened to the light switches on the rear and front brakes. I could hear clicking from each switch when I pressed on the foot pedal or squeezed the handle. I am assuming this means that the switches were working. there did not appear to be any dirt, debris or anything else blocking the switch button on the rear brake. I turned the key on and the brake lights work with both the pedal and handle. (the servos all work) When I shut the bike off the lights went out.

I took the bike out the next morning and the brake lights came on and stayed on. So it was back to disconnecting the ground and putting the battery on the charger.

Is it possible that one of the switches is going and that's why I'm getting the intermittent problem? Could the relay be bad if the lights go out like normal, or if it were bad would they always be on? Or should I just change out both switches and the relay? Naturally I just filled the tank :-)

thanks for any help

Joe Rowland
Joe, if you read through the entire other thread, have you tried isolating the ABS as jzeller suggested in the post immediately before yours, picture included? I would do that to isolate the unit and make sure you don't have a bad ABS unit before going any further. If the brake lights stay lit, you have another issue with possibly the relay sticking or a short. Don't have my book in front of me to research the wiring at the moment and I don't have that model so there are others who have far more experience with it than I do.

Signature
Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride)
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced
post #3 of 40 Old Feb 7th, 2017, 12:36 pm Thread Starter

Hi Gordon. I'm going to give that a try. I just thought that since the problem is intermittent it wouldn't be electrical but mechanical. And the new stop light switches are about $60 each rather than thousands :-) I'll keep trying. It too bad my dealer only has one "LT guy" and he's in training so bringing it in is not an option until next week. Since this is my only means of transportation right now I need to find a solution.

thanks again,
Joe

post #4 of 40 Old Feb 7th, 2017, 1:22 pm

Quote:
Hi Gordon. I'm going to give that a try. I just thought that since the problem is intermittent it wouldn't be electrical but mechanical. And the new stop light switches are about $60 each rather than thousands :-) I'll keep trying. It too bad my dealer only has one "LT guy" and he's in training so bringing it in is not an option until next week. Since this is my only means of transportation right now I need to find a solution.

thanks again,
Joe
Another thing you can do is to measure the switches with an ohm meter. In the other thread, one poster mentions that they are normally closed not normally open but I can't confirm this so until proven incorrect, I will accept that as no one else in that thread contradicted it. If you can trace the wires back to the plugs, you can test the switches. If they are normally closed and one is bad, simply unplugging them won't make the brake light go out if the switch is bad, it will make the light go on so it needs to be tested with a meter. The switch can still click and not work. That test is mostly to make sure the adjustment is not holding it open all the time.

Signature
Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
post #5 of 40 Old Feb 7th, 2017, 1:43 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
Another thing you can do is to measure the switches with an ohm meter. In the other thread, one poster mentions that they are normally closed not normally open but I can't confirm this so until proven incorrect, I will accept that as no one else in that thread contradicted it. If you can trace the wires back to the plugs, you can test the switches. If they are normally closed and one is bad, simply unplugging them won't make the brake light go out if the switch is bad, it will make the light go on so it needs to be tested with a meter. The switch can still click and not work. That test is mostly to make sure the adjustment is not holding it open all the time.
I'll give that a try next. So if I'm understanding this I should get a reading showing a closed circuit when the pedal is not depressed and an open one with the pedal depressed? I've done most of the mechanical service on the bike including replacing the clutch, but on the current electrical stuff I'm a bit of a novice.

thanks again,

Joe
post #6 of 40 Old Feb 7th, 2017, 2:48 pm

Quote:
I'll give that a try next. So if I'm understanding this I should get a reading showing a closed circuit when the pedal is not depressed and an open one with the pedal depressed? I've done most of the mechanical service on the bike including replacing the clutch, but on the current electrical stuff I'm a bit of a novice.

thanks again,

Joe
If it is indeed normally closed, that is correct. At the very least, you should be moving from a closed to an open state as the switch moves regardless of normally closed or open types. If you don't get a transition, the switch is bad. I was making the distinction because if a normally closed switch is bad ( open ) and you unplug it, the state will not change so the brake light would remain on. As long as you can measure the transition from closed to open, the switch is working at least at the time of testing. This is an intermittent issue though.

Signature
Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
post #7 of 40 Old Feb 7th, 2017, 7:31 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The fact that it is now intermittent leads me to a sticking relay but that is very rare. If the ABS electronics was at fault it would not go away. So it is either a switch at the edge of adjustment or a loose wire somewhere in the circuit. The switches are normally closed so an open (either switch or loose wire) will make the ABS think the brakes are applied. In the mean time you can pull fuse F12 to stop the lights while the bike is off and charging. It is the only 15 Amp fuse in the box closest to the seat latch. Easier than pulling the (-) terminal.

(reply for your other post) If you try the procedure to disconnect the ABS do so only after you have confirmed the switches are operating OK. If the lights stay on with ABS connector off then it is a stuck relay. If they go out then there is an electrical fault on the ABS circuit card. Tyler at Module Masters has had good luck fixing the circuit cards so it may not be an expensive fix if that is the issue.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 Ocean Blue Blue Wizard
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

CCR 06 Braselton CCR 07 Osage Beach CCR 08 Midway
CCR 09 Rapid City CCR 10 Killington, VT,CCR 11 Boise, CCR 12 Duluth
CCR 2013 Bend, CCR 2014 Backyard! CCR 2015 Couer d'Alene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 40 Old Feb 12th, 2017, 11:34 am Thread Starter

Well here's the status. Per John's suggestion I pulled the brake light fuse rather than disconnect the battery every time I stopped the bike. Many thanks. The morning after the first time that was done I put the fuse back in and the brake lights came on. I got on the bike, started it up and the brake failure lights came on. I stopped, shut it down, started it back up and the lights went out. It also shut the brake lights off!! I had made an appointment to take it into another dealer that afternoon. I rode around on some errands and the brake lights stayed off the whole time and were off when I got to the dealer. They couldn't replicate the situation until the second day they had the bike. Then they checked things out and found the ABS control panel ok. The switches seemed ok. They did find some corrosion on the relay which they cleaned off and reinstalled and the lights went out. I picked the bike up and rode it for a day and all things were ok. The second day the lights were back on when I got off the bike. I called and the service guy said he'd notify bmw and see what they say. I asked how power could possibly be going to the fuse for the lights if the ignition was off. He had no idea.

In the mean time it was back to unplugging the fuse. Once again when I plug it back in the lights go on, then out.

If any of you folks have any ideas I'd be interested. As I said, I can take the clutch out and put a new one in but I'm a novice when it comes to all this new fangled electrical stuff. When I first started on cars the only electrical was the battery, starter, generator, coil and spark plugs. LOL. I think we used candles for head lights :-)

Oh and I fixed the low idle thanks to another member's post in that area, the reset procedure was all that was needed, not a new idle actuator switch as recommenced by the dealer. geesh!

thanks again,
Joe
post #9 of 40 Old Feb 13th, 2017, 1:08 pm Thread Starter

The brake lights are still on after some fiddling and fuse removal and replacement. When all this happens the ignition switch is off. This seems to me that something is causing power to be supplied to the line that goes to the hot side of the fuse. I am at a loss to figure out how that can be. The last service guy said that all power is off with the ignition switch off. I asked about the remote locking system, since, with the ignition off, I can hit the button on the remote and the locks lock, using power from somewhere, and the directional lights flash. He claimed that this power comes from its own source and not that bike battery????

Is anyone aware if there can be some short causing power to go to the wire that goes to the fuse? I'm trying to find a wiring diagram but there is none in the Service Manual. 454 pages and no diagram, weird.

Joe
post #10 of 40 Old Feb 13th, 2017, 4:11 pm

Quote:
The brake lights are still on after some fiddling and fuse removal and replacement. When all this happens the ignition switch is off. This seems to me that something is causing power to be supplied to the line that goes to the hot side of the fuse. I am at a loss to figure out how that can be. The last service guy said that all power is off with the ignition switch off. I asked about the remote locking system, since, with the ignition off, I can hit the button on the remote and the locks lock, using power from somewhere, and the directional lights flash. He claimed that this power comes from its own source and not that bike battery????

Is anyone aware if there can be some short causing power to go to the wire that goes to the fuse? I'm trying to find a wiring diagram but there is none in the Service Manual. 454 pages and no diagram, weird.

Joe
If I understand correctly, you have not replaced anything yet. jzelller is one of the brightest and knowledgeable people on this forum relating to LT issues and isn't going to purposefully steer you wrong. With the cost of the relay being low, I would go for it and see if it changes anything. Unless I am reading the MAX BMW parts fiche wrong, they are less than the cost of that $60 switch that you were not worried about. It sure does sound like a sticking relay. Why not replace it before you spend a lot of shop time and $$$

Signature
Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
post #11 of 40 Old Feb 13th, 2017, 4:34 pm Thread Starter

Hi Gordon,

Not sure if you read my last post, but it does appear to be the relay. So it's going back to the dealer who took it all apart to remove the relay and "clean" it and replace it. Why they didn't just put in a new one is beyond me. Like you said, it's maybe $70!! Oh well.

Joe
post #12 of 40 Old Feb 13th, 2017, 4:45 pm

Quote:
Hi Gordon,

Not sure if you read my last post, but it does appear to be the relay. So it's going back to the dealer who took it all apart to remove the relay and "clean" it and replace it. Why they didn't just put in a new one is beyond me. Like you said, it's maybe $70!! Oh well.

Joe
I did see your last post and the mention of some corrosion being cleaned but as you said, the relay was not replaced. If it is the yellow one, that looks to be $21.79 and blue is $33.46, Grey is $18.38 black is $18.38. Not sure which one actually handles the brake lights but that can be figured out pretty easily, probably listed in the clymer manual but I haven't researched it yet. The turn signal and starter relays are much more expensive. I hope this fixes it as shop time adds up pretty fast for a $22 relay and an LT and you have had it in several times already.

Good luck this time around.

Signature
Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
post #13 of 40 Old Feb 13th, 2017, 7:46 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The relay and fuse F12 are HOT all the time key or no key. That is why when the relay sticks the lights are on. There are several circuits on the LT that are always hot and then several that are on with the key (this is "switched" power). Not everything is controlled by the key. It is the $20 relay so they should have just replaced it. Cleaning a relay requires burnishing tools and most dealer don't have those. Using sandpaper is not a good alternative, in fact it can cause a relay to stick worse.

John
2009 K1300GT
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 40 Old Feb 13th, 2017, 8:10 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
The relay and fuse F12 are HOT all the time key or no key. That is why when the relay sticks the lights are on. There are several circuits on the LT that are always hot and then several that are on with the key (this is "switched" power). Not everything is controlled by the key. It is the $20 relay so they should have just replaced it. Cleaning a relay requires burnishing tools and most dealer don't have those. Using sandpaper is not a good alternative, in fact it can cause a relay to stick worse.
Hi John,

Thanks for the info. The bike is going back to them tomorrow morning. I have no idea why they wouldn't have replaced the $20 relay, but they're going to have to do it on their dime since they had everything off that needed to be off last time. I'll keep everyone posted. What a pain in the butt!

thanks again,
Joe
post #15 of 40 Old Feb 13th, 2017, 9:59 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Hi John,

Perhaps my limited knowledge of the sophisticated electrical systems on today's bikes has me confused. If the relay and fuse are always HOT then the brake lights would be on all the time. Or am I not understanding this. If the fuse is "hot" wouldn't that mean that power is going through the fuse to the brake lights all the time? I thought it would be the application of the brakes that power would transmit the 12v to the fuse and to the lights? I know the power in some way goes through the ABS system and to the relay, but shouldn't that then close the relay and then transmit the 12v to the lights?

Joe
post #16 of 40 Old Feb 13th, 2017, 10:28 pm

Quote:
Hi John,

Perhaps my limited knowledge of the sophisticated electrical systems on today's bikes has me confused. If the relay and fuse are always HOT then the brake lights would be on all the time. Or am I not understanding this. If the fuse is "hot" wouldn't that mean that power is going through the fuse to the brake lights all the time? I thought it would be the application of the brakes that power would transmit the 12v to the fuse and to the lights? I know the power in some way goes through the ABS system and to the relay, but shouldn't that then close the relay and then transmit the 12v to the lights?

Joe
The relay can be hot and the fuse can be hot all the time and as long as the relay is not closed, the lights will not be on. The function of a relay like this is to allow a small amount of current from say the ABS controller to control a larger amount of current to power all the bright brake lights and not need big transistors and heat sinks inside the ABS. The trigger wire on the relay is controlled by something else like a small transistor in the ABS controller triggered by the brake switches or a pressure switch in the brake lines. Those feed signals are off when the key is off but if the relay sticks closed, the lights never go out even though the signal from the ABS controller is no longer present. Once the relay un-sticks, the lights go out and may function normally for a time until it sticks again.

It may be that the added lights on your bike were too much for the relay to handle and that is why it is now sticking. Not sure how yours was set up but most people use a fused direct link from the battery to power additional lighting and use a separate relay triggered off an aux circuit if on all the time or off the brake lights to power bigger lights without over heating the stock internal relay. I don't think BMW over engineered too many things like that because some of their wires are only just large enough to handle what is being fed by them. Hope that helps.

Signature
Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
post #17 of 40 Old Feb 15th, 2017, 2:32 pm Thread Starter

Hi John and Gordon,

I took the bike back in this morning to the dealer service. They replaced the Stop Light Relay (to their credit at no cost to me, thank you Riverside BMW). Got the bike back, everything off, including the brake lights. Rode the bike back home, shut everything off and the brake lights are back on!!!!! I'm ready to push this pos off a pier and go buy a Harley. Any other suggestions as to why the lights come back on. I have really had it with this. I'm at the point where I pull all the brake wiring off and just put a line from the battery to the switches and to the lights like back in the old days. It's really pretty sad when what should be a simple matter turns into this mess.

thanks again for all your help and support,

Joe
post #18 of 40 Old Feb 15th, 2017, 4:46 pm

Quote:
Hi John and Gordon,

I took the bike back in this morning to the dealer service. They replaced the Stop Light Relay (to their credit at no cost to me, thank you Riverside BMW). Got the bike back, everything off, including the brake lights. Rode the bike back home, shut everything off and the brake lights are back on!!!!! I'm ready to push this pos off a pier and go buy a Harley. Any other suggestions as to why the lights come back on. I have really had it with this. I'm at the point where I pull all the brake wiring off and just put a line from the battery to the switches and to the lights like back in the old days. It's really pretty sad when what should be a simple matter turns into this mess.

thanks again for all your help and support,

Joe
Sorry to hear that Joe. If the bike was close enough to me for diagnosing, I would be running a few wires off the relay to a point where I could measure them when the issue is happening. I would want to know if the relay is energized or not when the lights are stuck on. If the relay is energized, then the issue is in the control circuit.

I will look at the schematics tonight to see if the relay provides 12V to the lights or if it simply provides a ground to the circuit and the 12V is always at the light sockets. It could do either. The relay may also be the same and a ground is provided to complete the circuit rather than a 12V signal. If it is a ground that is provided, then you have a short somewhere before the relay or if it grounds through a transistor or relay in the ABS controller, an issue at that location causing the relay to remain energized. Shorts normally remain shorts until they are fixed. Mine is an 01 without the servo brakes so there is probably not much I can test in a direct relation to your year on my own bike. John may have some better ideas and have a knowledge of the brake lights and ABS system already to send you in a different direction.

Signature
Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
post #19 of 40 Old Feb 15th, 2017, 7:23 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Sorry to hear that Joe. If the bike was close enough to me for diagnosing, I would be running a few wires off the relay to a point where I could measure them when the issue is happening. I would want to know if the relay is energized or not when the lights are stuck on. If the relay is energized, then the issue is in the control circuit.

I will look at the schematics tonight to see if the relay provides 12V to the lights or if it simply provides a ground to the circuit and the 12V is always at the light sockets. It could do either. The relay may also be the same and a ground is provided to complete the circuit rather than a 12V signal. If it is a ground that is provided, then you have a short somewhere before the relay or if it grounds through a transistor or relay in the ABS controller, an issue at that location causing the relay to remain energized. Shorts normally remain shorts until they are fixed. Mine is an 01 without the servo brakes so there is probably not much I can test in a direct relation to your year on my own bike. John may have some better ideas and have a knowledge of the brake lights and ABS system already to send you in a different direction.
Hi Gordon,

I'll have to take things apart but as I recall the ground wire is brown. I'll see if I can track it down tonight. If there is always 12v going to the lights and the relay provides the ground to turn them on, then if I were to disconnect the brown wire from the bulb it should go out. If I then attached a wire to the frame and touched it to the bulb it should light up again, correct? I'll check the wires from the auxiliary lights to see if a wire on the ground side has stripped insulation allowing the ground to be transmitted to the brake light. Although if that were the case why would they every go out?

Thank you again and I'll wait to hear from you regarding the other info.

Joe
post #20 of 40 Old Feb 15th, 2017, 7:55 pm Thread Starter

Quote:

Hi again Gordon,

If you want to reach me directly you can e-mail me at joseph-rowland@att.net or text or call at 714 588-4041.

thanks,

Joe
post #21 of 40 Old Feb 15th, 2017, 9:52 pm

Quote:
Hi Gordon,

I'll have to take things apart but as I recall the ground wire is brown. I'll see if I can track it down tonight. If there is always 12v going to the lights and the relay provides the ground to turn them on, then if I were to disconnect the brown wire from the bulb it should go out. If I then attached a wire to the frame and touched it to the bulb it should light up again, correct? I'll check the wires from the auxiliary lights to see if a wire on the ground side has stripped insulation allowing the ground to be transmitted to the brake light. Although if that were the case why would they every go out?

Thank you again and I'll wait to hear from you regarding the other info.

Joe
That is correct thinking all except the part of using the frame as a ground. BMW does not directly ground to the frame so if you are able, run that wire to the negative battery post, it would be a better test. Just be sure you are not connecting a always hot side to the battery. Yes, brown is ground on these bikes.

In regards to your question, I did say a short normally remains a short until it is fixed so yes, why would they ever go out. The testing to see if the relay is energized would point you to where to look next. Paying bills now but will open the book and do some more looking tonight.

Signature
Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
post #22 of 40 Old Feb 15th, 2017, 11:25 pm

OK Joe, After looking at the schematic, I can see that the relay has 12V always applied through F12 as John said earlier. The circuit is grounded to the negative battery and to pin 30 on the ABS controller. The hot lead to the lights from the relay looks like Grey with a yellow stripe and it is a +12 off the relay when it is energized. Pin 4 on the ABS controller looks like the signal line to energize the relay all but the center bulb. I have heard the center bulb is special and it looks like it is fed directly from the ABS controller via pin 6 and not though the relay. I have no idea if they are common inside the ABS or not. The wire color is the same for both pin 6 and pin 4. That brings up a question. Are all the brake lights on or just the outside 4 ones and the center is not on during the failure?

If I could find the ABS controller pin 4 and check that during a failure, it would tell me if the issue was inside the ABS electronics. Maybe a sticking relay inside there if there is such a beast on the circuit board. never looked at one.

Here is a question for the group. Do the brake lights come on with the ignition off on the I-ABS? Do the whizzy brakes work with the key off as a safety feature to be able to stop the bike? I know my lights do not come on with my ABS-II system.

Signature
Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
post #23 of 40 Old Feb 16th, 2017, 10:38 am Thread Starter

Quote:
OK Joe, After looking at the schematic, I can see that the relay has 12V always applied through F12 as John said earlier. The circuit is grounded to the negative battery and to pin 30 on the ABS controller. The hot lead to the lights from the relay looks like Grey with a yellow stripe and it is a +12 off the relay when it is energized. Pin 4 on the ABS controller looks like the signal line to energize the relay all but the center bulb. I have heard the center bulb is special and it looks like it is fed directly from the ABS controller via pin 6 and not though the relay. I have no idea if they are common inside the ABS or not. The wire color is the same for both pin 6 and pin 4. That brings up a question. Are all the brake lights on or just the outside 4 ones and the center is not on during the failure?

If I could find the ABS controller pin 4 and check that during a failure, it would tell me if the issue was inside the ABS electronics. Maybe a sticking relay inside there if there is such a beast on the circuit board. never looked at one.

Here is a question for the group. Do the brake lights come on with the ignition off on the I-ABS? Do the whizzy brakes work with the key off as a safety feature to be able to stop the bike? I know my lights do not come on with my ABS-II system.
Hi Gordon,

So if I'm understanding you correctly it can't be a short in the ground wire going to the lights because they are activated by a +12v line that is sent through the relay. So my thought about a short across a ground wire to the ground wire in the brake light system wouldn't activate the lights?

I'll check on which lights are on this morning. I have some errands to run first.

To answer your last question there is a sticker that came on the bike, affixed to the cover of the compartment on top of the tank, that says something about the brake system is a servo system and only works while the bike is running. It's still on my bike so I'll get the exact wording when I get it later and tell you what it says.

The relay they replaced on the bike was yellow and had 2 pins on it. On the repair order the part is noted as "unrealized 61 36 8 366 282 :Connection plug, golde" I was told they couldn't find that part number as being associated with my bike, but there it was.

I'm going to pull everything off myself today and see if I can trace the wires back to where ever they go. What I can't understand is how, after they do the work, including a test ride, the lights are off when I pick up the bike. Then, sometimes 2 days later, they come back on.

Once again thank you for all your time and assistance,

Joe
post #24 of 40 Old Feb 16th, 2017, 10:50 am Thread Starter

I just looked at the BMW parts info and the part number identifies it as a connection plug rather than a relay. when you click on the part number link it shows that it is used in the Throttle housing assembly control unit (Throttle housing ASSY/CONTROL unit. Fits: 2007 BMW K | BMW Motorrad USA). ????
post #25 of 40 Old Feb 16th, 2017, 11:56 am

Quote:
Hi Gordon,

So if I'm understanding you correctly it can't be a short in the ground wire going to the lights because they are activated by a +12v line that is sent through the relay. So my thought about a short across a ground wire to the ground wire in the brake light system wouldn't activate the lights?

I'll check on which lights are on this morning. I have some errands to run first.

To answer your last question there is a sticker that came on the bike, affixed to the cover of the compartment on top of the tank, that says something about the brake system is a servo system and only works while the bike is running. It's still on my bike so I'll get the exact wording when I get it later and tell you what it says.

The relay they replaced on the bike was yellow and had 2 pins on it. On the repair order the part is noted as "unrealized 61 36 8 366 282 :Connection plug, golde" I was told they couldn't find that part number as being associated with my bike, but there it was.

I'm going to pull everything off myself today and see if I can trace the wires back to where ever they go. What I can't understand is how, after they do the work, including a test ride, the lights are off when I pick up the bike. Then, sometimes 2 days later, they come back on.

Once again thank you for all your time and assistance,

Joe
Not sure what they replaced but the relay would have at least 4 pins on it not 2. I will look further and see if I can locate the relay as I suspect it is located in the electronics box under the tank along with the other relays.

It does look like a short would likely blow a fuse or something and not simply turn on the lights after looking at the schematic. I will dig some more tonight and see if I can locate the relay position and color.

Signature
Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
post #26 of 40 Old Feb 16th, 2017, 1:24 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Not sure what they replaced but the relay would have at least 4 pins on it not 2. I will look further and see if I can locate the relay as I suspect it is located in the electronics box under the tank along with the other relays.

It does look like a short would likely blow a fuse or something and not simply turn on the lights after looking at the schematic. I will dig some more tonight and see if I can locate the relay position and color.
According to page 61.11 of the Service manual, this is the location of the "Brake Light Relay"

10 Hall-effect sensor
11 Multi-function switch, right
12 Ignition light switch
13 Instrument cluster
14 Instrument cluster 2
15 Multi-function switch, left
16 Water pump temperature sensor
17 Oil pressure switch
18 Multi-function switch, right, 2
19 Brake light relay
20 Emergency OFF relay

I'm sorry but the image didn't pick up the numbers?? The color photo shows the location of the relays.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Relay Location.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	122577   Click image for larger version

Name:	th.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	122585  
post #27 of 40 Old Feb 16th, 2017, 2:09 pm

Quote:
According to page 61.11 of the Service manual, this is the location of the "Brake Light Relay"

10 Hall-effect sensor
11 Multi-function switch, right
12 Ignition light switch
13 Instrument cluster
14 Instrument cluster 2
15 Multi-function switch, left
16 Water pump temperature sensor
17 Oil pressure switch
18 Multi-function switch, right, 2
19 Brake light relay
20 Emergency OFF relay

I'm sorry but the image didn't pick up the numbers?? The color photo shows the location of the relays.

Joe
That is where I would expect it to be, under the tank in the electronics box under all those wires. The part number you listed earlier and with the description I think is on the other side of the bike around the throttle body and likely has no part in the brake lights. If that is what the dealer replaced, I suspect you still could have a sticking relay. I can't see the numbers on the diagram.

Based on another thread for an 04 LT the relay is yellow, PN likely 61 36 6 902 041 and you should be able to confirm it once you reach it. Dave (Saddleman) says he bought one at the local auto parts store in post #2 of this thread. I believe he is listing a part number for reference or you can go and get it from the dealer.

Brake light relay - lights stuck on

If you haven't ever done it yet, it is a little bit of work to remove the tank and get to the relays. Probably an hour or more of work to get that far in knowing what you are doing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Brake light relay.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	122593  

Signature
Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

Last edited by bmwcoolk1200; Feb 16th, 2017 at 2:28 pm.
post #28 of 40 Old Feb 16th, 2017, 3:37 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
That is where I would expect it to be, under the tank in the electronics box under all those wires. The part number you listed earlier and with the description I think is on the other side of the bike around the throttle body and likely has no part in the brake lights. If that is what the dealer replaced, I suspect you still could have a sticking relay. I can't see the numbers on the diagram.

Based on another thread for an 04 LT the relay is yellow, PN likely 61 36 6 902 041 and you should be able to confirm it once you reach it. Dave (Saddleman) says he bought one at the local auto parts store in post #2 of this thread. I believe he is listing a part number for reference or you can go and get it from the dealer.

If you haven't ever done it yet, it is a little bit of work to remove the tank and get to the relays. Probably an hour or more of work to get that far in knowing what you are doing.
I've had the tank off more times that I'd like to, but it looks like it's coming off one more time. That part number, 61 36 6 902 041, shows up on the BMW parts website, but when you click on it and the following drop down arrow it doesn't show that it's used on a K bike, just the R bikes. However, I'm going to go get one and take the bike apart tonight and pull out the relay shown in the manual and see if it's the same one.

I'll report back once that's done.

Joe
post #29 of 40 Old Feb 16th, 2017, 3:56 pm

Quote:
I've had the tank off more times that I'd like to, but it looks like it's coming off one more time. That part number, 61 36 6 902 041, shows up on the BMW parts website, but when you click on it and the following drop down arrow it doesn't show that it's used on a K bike, just the R bikes. However, I'm going to go get one and take the bike apart tonight and pull out the relay shown in the manual and see if it's the same one.

I'll report back once that's done.

Joe
Been using the MAX BMW web site Fiche and they don't specify what the relay is for, only a color and have pictures so based on the color yellow mentioned by Dave on his 04, and the miscellaneous relays listing, I would think that would be the one but as I said, you could verify the part number on the relay once you get to it to make sure it is the right one. There are lots of different part numbers for the same basic relay maybe with different mounting options that all fit the same socket and have the same internals. As Dave did, I would have no problem buying a $10 auto parts relay over the $22 BMW relay as they are internally and plug compatible. Some don't like doing that and it isn't a break the bank difference in this case. Let me know how it goes.

Signature
Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
post #30 of 40 Old Feb 16th, 2017, 6:49 pm Thread Starter

Quote:

Hi Gordon,

The service manager has told me that the part they replaced was the same part that was taken from the place where the brake light relay is supposed to be. (below the electronics box and towards the front of the bike as shown in that photo). I don't know how a "connection plug" would be able to do what a relay does? And if that was what was in the socket that the relay was supposed to be in how did my brake lights work for the past 10 years?

I'm taking it back tomorrow and renting a car so they can have it for a few more days. I guess they're billing it to BMW.

Joe
post #31 of 40 Old Feb 16th, 2017, 8:31 pm Thread Starter

Does anyone have an electrical schematic so I can see how many wires go to the relay? I know they're going to tell me that the part they have on the invoice was the same as what they pulled out but if there are 4 wires, which it appears is what the correct relay has, a "connector" with 2 pins isn't going to do much.

I'm taking it back tomorrow and renting a car. This should be fun.

thanks again guys,

Joe
post #32 of 40 Old Feb 16th, 2017, 9:25 pm

Quote:
Does anyone have an electrical schematic so I can see how many wires go to the relay? I know they're going to tell me that the part they have on the invoice was the same as what they pulled out but if there are 4 wires, which it appears is what the correct relay has, a "connector" with 2 pins isn't going to do much.

I'm taking it back tomorrow and renting a car. This should be fun.

thanks again guys,

Joe
Here is the schematic of the brake light relay from the Clymer manual. Definitely 4 wires.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC02172.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	413.2 KB
ID:	122601  

Signature
Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
post #33 of 40 Old Feb 16th, 2017, 9:35 pm

This is where the Clymer says the relay is.

There is a note that says on the LT only the relay is mounted on the connector holder and references figure 68
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	brk-relay.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	412.3 KB
ID:	122609  

Signature
Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
post #34 of 40 Old Feb 16th, 2017, 10:58 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Here is the schematic of the brake light relay from the Clymer manual. Definitely 4 wires.
Hey Gordon thanks. There's no way the part they told me they replaced could have been connected to that place. You obviously need a relay with 4 pins. Tomorrow should be an interesting conversation.

thanks,

Joe
post #35 of 40 Old Feb 16th, 2017, 11:11 pm

Quote:
Hey Gordon thanks. There's no way the part they told me they replaced could have been connected to that place. You obviously need a relay with 4 pins. Tomorrow should be an interesting conversation.

thanks,

Joe
Have fun but most of all, I hope it gets resolved.

Signature
Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
post #36 of 40 Old Feb 16th, 2017, 11:13 pm Thread Starter

Quote:

Forgot to let you know that only the outside brake lights and the one on the luggage rack are on.
post #37 of 40 Old Feb 16th, 2017, 11:14 pm

Quote:
Forgot to let you know that only the outside brake lights and the one on the luggage rack are on.
That might make sense after looking at the schematic and a stuck relay.

Signature
Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
post #38 of 40 Old Feb 17th, 2017, 7:39 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

OK that 2 pin yellow thing is a cat code plug and is not used on the 05 and up. I smell BS. The relay is a simple four contact one nothing special. Until that relay is properly replaced I still suspect it. Once it is replaced and the switches are ruled out the ONLY other thing is an electronic fault in the ABS. If you get to the relay you can check the wires. Red/White is the 12v from fuse F12, a small gray/yellow is the trigger signal from the ABS, Brown is the coil ground and a larger gray/yellow is the relay output to the brake lights.
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #39 of 40 Old Yesterday, 12:54 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
OK that 2 pin yellow thing is a cat code plug and is not used on the 05 and up. I smell BS. The relay is a simple four contact one nothing special. Until that relay is properly replaced I still suspect it. Once it is replaced and the switches are ruled out the ONLY other thing is an electronic fault in the ABS. If you get to the relay you can check the wires. Red/White is the 12v from fuse F12, a small gray/yellow is the trigger signal from the ABS, Brown is the coil ground and a larger gray/yellow is the relay output to the brake lights.
Hi John,

That was what I was thinking. According to the service manager they've tested the ABS board and it is ok. They've had the bike for a day and a half (I could have done a complete service is less time). The service manager was out yesterday so I'm not sure what was done. Now that they're closed today and Monday I guess I won't find anything out until sometime Tuesday. So I'm in my rental car and off to the Harley dealers, The Ultra Limited is looking pretty good about now. Plus they've got a new 2015 Road Glide CVO sitting on the floor that they're really looking to get off the floor. They must be serious when the Sales Manager calls you on a Saturday to tell you he's ready to he'll cut you a great deal, lol.

Anyway, I'll keep you all posted on the outcome. Thanks again to everyone for all the help. This is a tough one.

Joe
post #40 of 40 Old Yesterday, 7:27 pm

Quote:
Hi John,

That was what I was thinking. According to the service manager they've tested the ABS board and it is ok. They've had the bike for a day and a half (I could have done a complete service is less time). The service manager was out yesterday so I'm not sure what was done. Now that they're closed today and Monday I guess I won't find anything out until sometime Tuesday. So I'm in my rental car and off to the Harley dealers, The Ultra Limited is looking pretty good about now. Plus they've got a new 2015 Road Glide CVO sitting on the floor that they're really looking to get off the floor. They must be serious when the Sales Manager calls you on a Saturday to tell you he's ready to he'll cut you a great deal, lol.

Anyway, I'll keep you all posted on the outcome. Thanks again to everyone for all the help. This is a tough one.

Joe
Joe, I love my LT. I have had it for 5 years and spent thousands on it just to repair or replace or upgrade all the things that could go wrong but hadn't yet. One day I want to cross the USA on it so my work is not in vain. Can something else go wrong? Yes but I just took a 170 mile RTE with my Pillion Susan today and she purred like a kitten the entire way and I just love the new rear shock now that I have had a chance to hit the super slab 2 up. I love how it looks and how people look at it also. It really is a wonderful ride IMO. I hope you can get yours straightened out. If this dealer can actually find the brake light relay and replace it, I think there is a high possibility this particular issue may get fixed. Good luck and keep us posted on their progress.

Signature
Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.