• 1 Post By Axle
  • 2 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By guitarjim
  • 1 Post By cws

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Jan 11th, 2017, 3:23 pm Thread Starter

Navigator

Gday all

I was just wondering if you can help me to work out what Navigation system can be put on a 2004 K1200LT, i know the Motorad Navigator 3 was used bu i cant find where to buy one of these

are there newer options/technology etc

all help appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Jan 11th, 2017, 10:00 pm

Re: Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie1200 View Post
Gday all

I was just wondering if you can help me to work out what Navigation system can be put on a 2004 K1200LT, i know the Motorad Navigator 3 was used bu i cant find where to buy one of these

are there newer options/technology etc

all help appreciated
G'day mate.

I am pretty sure that any one of these three motorcycle specific GPS units will be able to me mounted to the K1200LT.

https://www.ja-gps.com.au/GPS-Units/Motorcycle-GPS

You could also use a good handheld unit like the Garmin Montana 600, 650 or 680 series.

Cheers

Tony

So many roads....so little time!!
post #3 of 23 Old Jan 11th, 2017, 10:03 pm

Garage

you can use a car one with a large screen, I've used mine for years cheapest option, or about $600 for garmin 660 not to many options here in Oz
Nil_Time likes this.

Regards Linton

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT

post #4 of 23 Old Jan 11th, 2017, 11:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle View Post
you can use a car one with a large screen, I've used mine for years cheapest option, or about $600 for garmin 660 not to many options here in Oz
I guess it all depends on where you like to ride. Do you stick to main roads or go off road? What capabilities do you use and are sure you will use?

When in Sydney a few years ago, we used our iPad to get around. I did make some wrong turns...usually when not using the iPad and thinking I could get to someplace...lol WRONG. We even loaded the plan into the iPad and it worked when only using GPS and not having access to Internet (the iPad didn't even have Cell capability).

Now, I use my iPhone and a bluetooth connection to my Nolan helmet so I get directions to my helmet. The other day we were looking for a rat rod show and my friends who live in the city couldn't find the place. I pushed a button on my helmet and said "Take me to 1725 West Anderson (or whatever the address was)." Within a few seconds, we were on our way to the place without any problems - other than now I was in the lead and like to go a little faster than my friends

There's lots of options today. I also mount the phone on the hadlebars and take it off when I get off the bike.
Hope your search goes well and you find the right solution for you.

Current Ride: '02 LT - The Mistress
post #5 of 23 Old Jan 12th, 2017, 4:24 am
Lifetime Supporter

I replaced the Nav III unit on my old '07 LT with a Garmin 590LM. The only good thing about the stock Nav III unit was the mounting bracket, which I used for the 590. The 590 was much better than the Nav III and I had also installed the tire pressure monitors on the valve stems. Nil_Time's link shows the current version, a 595LM.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	121481  

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 23 Old Jan 12th, 2017, 12:51 pm

I have used both the Garmin Montana 610T and a regular Car style Garmin 57LM?? with a large screen. Most car style are not water proof and can not be used with Basecamp. The 610T has a smaller screen, you need to add a routable set of maps to it, but it is water proof and you can create custom routes in Basecamp.
I gave $375 for my 610T on a great sale at Cabelas, but its Camo. The 57LM was free, my work gave it to me because I travel all the time.
The car style give great vocal instructions, the 610T just beeps when its time to turn.
The Motorcycle type GPS are nice, but can be very pricey.
post #7 of 23 Old Jan 12th, 2017, 6:25 pm

Garage

Just my 2 cents worth, but i found that using my smart phone (iPhone 7plus) with google maps, apple maps, waze or any mapping program to be much better than the stand alone GPS units. It's always updated. You can mount it anywhere, but i chose to mount it as seen in the photo. I could have used a cheap Ramount, but chose the Marlin's M-Mount Multi-Fit instead. It cost quite a bit more, but is a much sturdier and "prettier" mount lol. Couldn't show my phone mounted as i took the picture with it lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7408.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	245.2 KB
ID:	121545  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/SIGPIC]

Joe
Palm Coast, FL.

2006 K1200LT (Love it)
2002 R1150RT (Sold)
2007 Harley FLHTCU (sold at 137k Miles)
1999 Harley Night train (blew the eng at 150k miles)
1986 harley Davidson FLTC (Sold When assigned to Europe
1982 Harley Wide Glide (sold)
1981 Kawasaki k1000LTD (sold)
1980 Triumph Bonneville (sold)
post #8 of 23 Old Jan 12th, 2017, 6:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerJoe View Post
Just my 2 cents worth, but i found that using my smart phone (iPhone 7plus) with google maps, apple maps, waze or any mapping program to be much better than the stand alone GPS units. It's always updated. You can mount it anywhere, but i chose to mount it as seen in the photo. I could have used a cheap Ramount, but chose the Marlin's M-Mount Multi-Fit instead. It cost quite a bit more, but is a much sturdier and "prettier" mount lol. Couldn't show my phone mounted as i took the picture with it lol.
Phones are great in areas with cell coverage and if you don't ride in bad weather. I ride in places like Newfoundland (and even much of northcentral PA) where my iPhone was next to useless. It all depends on when and where you ride.
Nil_Time and BeemerJoe like this.

2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise"
VOICE II
Navigator V
Motorrad Communicator
post #9 of 23 Old Jan 13th, 2017, 6:49 am Thread Starter

Well thanks to you all for your great advice, I ride and live in the UK so I have opted for the Garmin 595LM complete with Tyre pressure Monitoring system and 590 bracket.

Ill get this mounted and provide some feedback on my experience to the group. Again thanks everyone for your support.
post #10 of 23 Old Jan 13th, 2017, 11:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post

Phones are great in areas with cell coverage and if you don't ride in bad weather. I ride in places like Newfoundland (and even much of northcentral PA) where my iPhone was next to useless. It all depends on when and where you ride.
Recent model iPhones and iPads don't need cell coverage to provide directions. The GPS in the iPhones and iPads use the same satellites as the dedicated devices. You do have to load your map into your device before venturing off. It does require some advanced planning if you know you will be outside of cell coverage. Of course, changing you mind to go to a totally different place 300 miles away on a whim will cause some problems with using a non-dedicated device BUT stop in a McDonald's parking lot to use their wi-fi to access the new directions and you are good to go.
BeemerJoe likes this.

post #11 of 23 Old Jan 14th, 2017, 8:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarjim View Post
Recent model iPhones and iPads don't need cell coverage to provide directions. The GPS in the iPhones and iPads use the same satellites as the dedicated devices. You do have to load your map into your device before venturing off. It does require some advanced planning if you know you will be outside of cell coverage. Of course, changing you mind to go to a totally different place 300 miles away on a whim will cause some problems with using a non-dedicated device BUT stop in a McDonald's parking lot to use their wi-fi to access the new directions and you are good to go.
Yes, the maps are what I was referring to. Seeing a dot move across a grid isn't that satisfying. And the data use when using your phone 8 hours a day for navigation can get intense.

It all depends on your unique needs.

If you ride in fair weather, in areas with good cell coverage and use BT headsets, a phone is a good solution.

If you ride in rain and snow, in areas with no cell coverage and no McDonalds (I couldn't even get premium gasoline!), and need the directions communicated through your wired headsets, then the BMW Navigator is the best solution.

VOICE II
Navigator V
Motorrad Communicator
post #12 of 23 Old Jan 14th, 2017, 8:39 pm

Quote:
Yes, the maps are what I was referring to. Seeing a dot move across a grid isn't that satisfying. And the data use when using your phone 8 hours a day for navigation can get intense.

It all depends on your unique needs.

If you ride in fair weather, in areas with good cell coverage and use BT headsets, a phone is a good solution.

If you ride in rain and snow, in areas with no cell coverage and no McDonalds (I couldn't even get premium gasoline!), and need the directions communicated through your wired headsets, then the BMW Navigator is the best solution.
No doubt!

You load the map. I haven't seen a dot on a grid - the dot moves along the roads on the pre-loaded map. Turn off data for the cell phone to save the battery if you like and you can still use the GPS on the map. I use this often and have in China and Africa. Load the map, drop some dots and away you go.

post #13 of 23 Old Jan 15th, 2017, 8:05 am

Quote:
No doubt!

You load the map. I haven't seen a dot on a grid - the dot moves along the roads on the pre-loaded map. Turn off data for the cell phone to save the battery if you like and you can still use the GPS on the map. I use this often and have in China and Africa. Load the map, drop some dots and away you go.
A few times I have turned on my iPhone while flying. The GPS still works, but with cell it just shows a dot moving across a grid pattern.

VOICE II
Navigator V
Motorrad Communicator
post #14 of 23 Old Jan 15th, 2017, 4:19 pm

Quote:
A few times I have turned on my iPhone while flying. The GPS still works, but with cell it just shows a dot moving across a grid pattern.
Yep, because you don't have a map loaded already. It would be interesting to load a map and then, follow the plan with the GPS on your map - although I'm not sure how happy the map will be since you aren't on the road. I may try that out sometime.

post #15 of 23 Old Jan 15th, 2017, 5:16 pm

Quote:
Yep, because you don't have a map loaded already. It would be interesting to load a map and then, follow the plan with the GPS on your map - although I'm not sure how happy the map will be since you aren't on the road. I may try that out sometime.

Does loading a map also load gas stations, restaurants, hotels, etc.? I loaded a map once a couple years ago, but don't recall it loading other points of interest. After deciding a new Navigator was the best solution for me, I stopped investigating iPhone capabilities.

VOICE II
Navigator V
Motorrad Communicator
post #16 of 23 Old Jan 15th, 2017, 8:35 pm
cws

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie1200 View Post
Well thanks to you all for your great advice, I ride and live in the UK so I have opted for the Garmin 595LM complete with Tyre pressure Monitoring system and 590 bracket.

Ill get this mounted and provide some feedback on my experience to the group. Again thanks everyone for your support.
Good choice. I have the previous model, the 590LM, on my K12GT and have bought a 2nd mount to put it on my LT to replace my old 550, when I get a chance to strip her down again.
Do check out the previous threads where some some people have had issues with the TPM system reading properly on different model bikes.
Nil_Time likes this.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #17 of 23 Old Jan 15th, 2017, 10:24 pm
Administrator

I have a Garmin 590 LM that was on my LT but it is for sale complete with a "new unopened" motorcycle mounting kit from Garmin - comes complete with original packing, manuals and an off bike carrying case - everything is in perfect condition.

Garmin 590LM
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/145273

Garmin 590 Motorcycle Mount
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/pn/010-12110-00

Garmin Carrying Case
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/pn/010-12100-00

Why am I letting it go - I got a NAV V on my R1200GSAW and have set it up to transfer to the LT do not want to manage maps and things between to different GPS units.

Send me a PM if you are interested and decide to go the GPS unit route . . .

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"

post #18 of 23 Old Jan 15th, 2017, 11:43 pm

Quote:
Does loading a map also load gas stations, restaurants, hotels, etc.? I loaded a map once a couple years ago, but don't recall it loading other points of interest. After deciding a new Navigator was the best solution for me, I stopped investigating iPhone capabilities.
I do all of that planning ahead of time. I don't know of a Nav system that can book my room through Priceline for a great rate or give me trusted reviews of restaurants I have otherwise never heard of. Yes, you can pin drop the hotel or the restaurant you want or gas stations to go to. Or you can map out your route to take you to those places. I like the planning to find the right places to stay and best food I can find - especially if I can find a local place to eat with some regional food to try.

I have a friend that takes vacations by getting in his car with his wife/family and starts driving. At each intersection, they decide to go right, left or just keep going straight. They never know where they will go, what they will see or what they will do and they have been enjoying these trips for decades.

As I said to the OP, it all depends on how he rides and what his needs are - then, figure out the system that meets those needs and desires. Not everyone has the same needs or way of traveling and so, it is a great time to have multiple devices to choose from to make your riding dreams come true. Some people just love having more doo-dads on the bike to look at - good for the them! I hope they get great joy from all of the doo-dads - electronic or otherwise.

post #19 of 23 Old Jan 16th, 2017, 7:30 pm

I have a NAV 3 for sale. If you are interested just PM me. Does your bike have the mount on the stingray?
post #20 of 23 Old Jan 17th, 2017, 5:39 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy View Post
I have a NAV 3 for sale. If you are interested just PM me. Does your bike have the mount on the stingray?
Not much good over here in Oz, by the time you pay for the device + freight then buy new maps to suit Australia may as well just buy a new one. Hopefully you will get a sale over there.

Regards Linton

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #21 of 23 Old Jan 17th, 2017, 8:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle View Post
Not much good over here in Oz, by the time you pay for the device + freight then buy new maps to suit Australia may as well just buy a new one. Hopefully you will get a sale over there.

I've offered mine twice for the cost of shipping and can't get any takers.

VOICE II
Navigator V
Motorrad Communicator
post #22 of 23 Old Jan 17th, 2017, 8:54 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I donated my Nav III to the '15 Curve Cowboy Auction and I think it brought about $15-$20 for the complete system (w/o the stingray mounts) and it was in excellent condition. They aren't really worth much....

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #23 of 23 Old Jan 17th, 2017, 10:11 pm

Yep, when updated technology hits, it is amazing how fast the price drops on yesterday's latest and greatest technological marvel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.