would like input on LT I found for sale - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 Old Jan 10th, 2017, 2:41 pm Thread Starter

would like input on LT I found for sale

Hello all-

I might have found my LT 2008 K1200LT with 16.5K miles. The bike has sat for about 2 or 3 yrs with minimal use on a trickle charger. The bike is in CA and Im in OH. My concerns are the fuel lines and brake fluid and lines. I will replace tires if to old so Im not concerned there.

I was wondering if anyone else has anything else I should be concerned about since sitting??

Since its a large distance... this is my plan. They already said they are willing to take to a BMW motorcycle dealer for me for an inspection. Then I will work on shipping the bike from there if all goes well.

Ideas for shipping?? I sent quote request to Uship.
Ideas for payments?? to keep both of us safe.
Anyone who bought a bike from a private person and how they handled it??

Ill be honest there is always the concern in the back of my head that it could be a scam.

My wife and I just recently discussed to fly out to meet shipper and take care of paperwork... My Aunt and Uncle live nearby. But this will only happen if things are all thumbs up.

Let me know if more info is needed, and thank you for all your help.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old Jan 10th, 2017, 3:46 pm

Re: would like input on LT I found for sale

The Only real concern to me would be the ABS Brake system. When was it flushed last? All the other stuff is just possible formalities. Don't know anything about shipping options. Payment. Well something like a bank check. Something to give you some insurance.That's all I have. Hope it helps. Where are you in ohio?
radar41 and Moogmike like this.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #3 of 54 Old Jan 10th, 2017, 3:51 pm

I was very lucky in buying mine from the previous owner. He handed me a $20 and said there is a gas station about 3 miles down the road. Go and get some gas so I got the test ride with no deposit. Had never been on an LT before and I didn't even drop it The fact that I helped him wash it off and put a new battery in it might have had something to do with it.

You have the major issues already with the fuel and brake lines but if you are shipping and not riding, those can be inspected and replaced as required after you get it home. Give the final drive a shake to check out the bearings and also the swing arm.

Make sure the BMW dealer does run the VIN and takes care of any un-handled recalls while they have it.

Any service history is a plus. Sounds like you might have found yourself a low mileage pit wooffie if it all checks out.

Good luck.
Moogmike likes this.

Signature
Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride)
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #4 of 54 Old Jan 10th, 2017, 6:10 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I have a friend (he's the one that sold me the '07LT) who just had a BMW S1000XR shipped from New York to California. He used Haulbikes.com. Cost him $450, plus $50 more for no-deductible insurance. He says it was far and away the cheapest and the bike arrived in perfect condition. They have a caveat though, they have a strict 58 inch height limit, so he had the windscreen shipped separately. I don't know the height of the LT, but my GTLE is about 60 inches with the windshield at the lowest setting. Good luck!
Moogmike likes this.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 54 Old Jan 10th, 2017, 6:24 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by james216 View Post
The Only real concern to me would be the ABS Brake system. When was it flushed last? All the other stuff is just possible formalities. Don't know anything about shipping options. Payment. Well something like a bank check. Something to give you some insurance.That's all I have. Hope it helps. Where are you in ohio?
Thank you James216.... I'm in Perrysburg ohio
post #6 of 54 Old Jan 10th, 2017, 7:04 pm Thread Starter

Hey.... thank you everyone. Another question.... Ok, if the brake fluid has not been flushed... if I get it flushed really good.. would I be good? Or is there other issues with the ABS? I'm ok on cars, but not sure of this ABS system on it.

I got to talk with the guy who is helping her sell it. When they bought it in 2011 it had almost 12K miles on it.... and he knows an oil change has been done when they got it ridden down from northern CA to S. CA. He is helping her sell it because her husband passed away. He used to own bikes so he keeps it on the trickle charger.

When I talked with him today, I got to hear it start right up. I'm gonna see what I can find on its service. I found the city the were from.

I'll keep yall posted and updated can I say I feel like a kid in a candy shop!?!
post #7 of 54 Old Jan 10th, 2017, 8:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

The first thing I would do is replace the original brake lines with Spiegler stainless steel lines before doing the brake system flush. If the ABS system is good, replacement of the old lines (if they undoubtably haven't been replaced yet based on your description) would be a good insurance policy. In addition, while the tupperware is off, I'd also check to see if it still has the original quick disconnects on the fuel tank (replacing them with metal versions from Beemerboneyard or Jiffy Tite) and also replace the air & fuel filters and the tank's internal fuel lines. Then, I'd be much more confident about taking longer distance rides on it. Just out of curiosity, is it in the greater Los Angeles area?
radar41 and Moogmike like this.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 54 Old Jan 10th, 2017, 8:47 pm

I'm sure you checked KBB for value, $8,400 retail, 6k trade in. I would suggest since you have to travel or have it shipped and no real knowledge a careful price. No one on either side wants to be screwed. Sounds like a deal considering you like LT's. The 2008 model thankfully does not have the servo brake system I believe, this is a good thing. Life is short. When you bring the bike home, do all the needed up grades to the brake hoses and fluids. Check brake pads etc, It was mentioned that it might be taken to a dealer for a look over, ask for a suggested maintenance list and any outstanding bmw recalls. Hope this works out for you, you sound excited. Wish it was May, you could ride it home. New bikes are such a treat.
Moogmike likes this.

Beech

K13S & DR650 (gone through a few RT's)
R1200GS (2014)
S1000R
Mount Vernon Cannon Works
post #9 of 54 Old Jan 10th, 2017, 9:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by beech View Post
I'm sure you checked KBB for value, $8,400 retail, 6k trade in. I would suggest since you have to travel or have it shipped and no real knowledge a careful price. No one on either side wants to be screwed. Sounds like a deal considering you like LT's. The 2008 model thankfully does not have the servo brake system I believe, this is a good thing. Life is short. When you bring the bike home, do all the needed up grades to the brake hoses and fluids. Check brake pads etc, It was mentioned that it might be taken to a dealer for a look over, ask for a suggested maintenance list and any outstanding bmw recalls. Hope this works out for you, you sound excited. Wish it was May, you could ride it home. New bikes are such a treat.
All LT's 02 and newer have the servo I-ABS. When other bike lines were updated, the LT was already end of line so then never changed it.
Moogmike likes this.

Signature
Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
post #10 of 54 Old Jan 10th, 2017, 9:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogmike View Post
Hello all-

I might have found my LT 2008 K1200LT with 16.5K miles. The bike has sat for about 2 or 3 yrs with minimal use on a trickle charger. The bike is in CA and Im in OH. My concerns are the fuel lines and brake fluid and lines. I will replace tires if to old so Im not concerned there.

I was wondering if anyone else has anything else I should be concerned about since sitting??

Since its a large distance... this is my plan. They already said they are willing to take to a BMW motorcycle dealer for me for an inspection. Then I will work on shipping the bike from there if all goes well.

Ideas for shipping?? I sent quote request to Uship.
Ideas for payments?? to keep both of us safe.
Anyone who bought a bike from a private person and how they handled it??

Ill be honest there is always the concern in the back of my head that it could be a scam.

My wife and I just recently discussed to fly out to meet shipper and take care of paperwork... My Aunt and Uncle live nearby. But this will only happen if things are all thumbs up.

Let me know if more info is needed, and thank you for all your help.

Mike
Mike, if it can help putting your mind at ease I can go look at the bike for you, make sure it is NOT a scam, and give it a once over. I have owned 3 LTs of different mileage and I am pretty comfortable I can identify major issues.
Send me a PM and we can work out the details.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
03 Saab Convertible (other spare bike
)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #11 of 54 Old Jan 10th, 2017, 11:06 pm

"All LT's 02 and newer have the servo I-ABS. When other bike lines were updated, the LT was already end of line so then never changed it. "
I thought I remembered something like that, thank you for the information. That makes the bike worth about 5k$ in my mind. If that.
Make sure there is no ABS light on after start up and riding a few feet.
Moogmike likes this.

Beech

K13S & DR650 (gone through a few RT's)
R1200GS (2014)
S1000R
Mount Vernon Cannon Works
post #12 of 54 Old Jan 10th, 2017, 11:34 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg View Post
Mike, if it can help putting your mind at ease I can go look at the bike for you, make sure it is NOT a scam, and give it a once over. I have owned 3 LTs of different mileage and I am pretty comfortable I can identify major issues.
Send me a PM and we can work out the details.
Hey Gilles,

I was originally going to offer to take a look at it too, but figured if the local dealer was going to go through it... If Mike accepts your offer and you need some company for a second opinion, let me know.
zippy_gg and Moogmike like this.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE

post #13 of 54 Old Jan 11th, 2017, 12:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW003 View Post
Hey Gilles,

I was originally going to offer to take a look at it too, but figured if the local dealer was going to go through it... If Mike accepts your offer and you need some company for a second opinion, let me know.
You bet Dave!
Moogmike likes this.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
03 Saab Convertible (other spare bike
)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #14 of 54 Old Jan 11th, 2017, 2:40 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW003 View Post
The first thing I would do is replace the original brake lines with Spiegler stainless steel lines before doing the brake system flush. If the ABS system is good, replacement of the old lines (if they undoubtably haven't been replaced yet based on your description) would be a good insurance policy. In addition, while the tupperware is off, I'd also check to see if it still has the original quick disconnects on the fuel tank (replacing them with metal versions from Beemerboneyard or Jiffy Tite) and also replace the air & fuel filters and the tank's internal fuel lines. Then, I'd be much more confident about taking longer distance rides on it. Just out of curiosity, is it in the greater Los Angeles area?
JNW003.... The bike is in San Marcos... the owner have a bit of a sad story. Her husband past-a-way. A friend is helping her sell it. I didn't ask specifics.

Do want to say thank you for the input... I will definitely look into the mods

Last edited by Moogmike; Jan 11th, 2017 at 2:44 am. Reason: got sent to early
post #15 of 54 Old Jan 11th, 2017, 3:10 am Thread Starter

Everyone thank you for the input... So far since I got to talk to the guy (good friend of the owners, now wife only) and he started it up for me and I got to hear it, it did put me at ease a bit. Also since I did a VIN check... not stolen, not wrecked. At least reported. And since he is good about taking it to the dealer for me, sounds like this coming Friday/Saturday. I believe things are going good.

As for the price when I found this one, I was shocked. About a month ago I found one near by me. Went up to look at it... a 2008 with 75K and they are asking 8k... I was going to pay cash... and they would only come down to 7800. These things it seems like if you want one you gotta pay for it.

Right now, Im hoping they accept my offer, if so with purchase, shipping and inspection (and I want they to check for codes too) I will be sitting under a few hundred bucks under 7k. I think Im doing great.. I guess that's what matters... with ones I have checked into prices are up there! He has sent me a goober load of pics.

To the gentlemens who live out that way and who were willing to check it out for me.... my hat off to you guys... yall are a gentlemen and a scholar. Thank you very much for the offer.

Im even was told to ask the BMW dealer to see if they would ship to a local BMW dealer for me?.. who knows... don't ask, don't know.

Again... Ill still keep yall posted.
post #16 of 54 Old Jan 11th, 2017, 10:09 am

I sold my mountain-bike on craigslist for $3000 in the past. The way they buyer and I handled the financial transaction was like this:
- neither of us wanted to carry that much cash on us
- cashier check could be fake
- so when buyer decided to buy, we both went to his bank which issued the cashier check so I was sure it wasn't fake and buyer didn't have to carry cash.
Moogmike likes this.
post #17 of 54 Old Jan 11th, 2017, 10:16 am

I'm in north county San Diego right next to San Marcos so just let me know if you need any help.
Moogmike likes this.

Jay - 2006 BMW K1200LT, 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R and 2014 Suzuki Burgman 650 ABS
post #18 of 54 Old Jan 11th, 2017, 10:29 am

Another 2 cents from me:

Instead of paying for shipping, you could use that $500 or so toward the general maintenance by the local BMW dealer (tires, 20k miles maintenance, flushing the fluids ...). So you would get a good and safe bike to ride from CA to OH ;-)
jkersh1 and Moogmike like this.
post #19 of 54 Old Jan 11th, 2017, 10:58 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by F800GT View Post
I sold my mountain-bike on craigslist for $3000 in the past. The way they buyer and I handled the financial transaction was like this:
- neither of us wanted to carry that much cash on us
- cashier check could be fake
- so when buyer decided to buy, we both went to his bank which issued the cashier check so I was sure it wasn't fake and buyer didn't have to carry cash.
I agree - do everything at the bank. Sign over title, notarize and issue cashier's check all at the same time. They give you the keys at that time and you then return to their home or business to collect the bike - it is your bike once the title/money changes hands. I would also work up a generic bill of sale for tax purposes. When you take the bike to the tax office, they will want proof of how much you paid as sales taxes (in most places) are based on actual value - you might not want them to base your taxes on some actuarial data that they have on file that could be significantly higher than what you paid.

Since you are located so far away, the local BMW dealer where the bike is located might be willing to do everything for you for a fee - not sure if the fee would be less than an airfare ticket though.
Moogmike likes this.

Current Bike: 2014 R1200RT

Currently live in North Metro Atlanta
post #20 of 54 Old Jan 11th, 2017, 1:53 pm Thread Starter

Thank you for the additional input... Well wanted to give update, and a pic silly me.

I found the dealer it was sold at new!! The BMW dealer is working on sending me the records, they said it was fully up to date on all services until 2014 and 149xx miles and its now at 163xx miles. Also found out the dealer where it is going into for the inspection heard of the guys name I am dealing with, said he has a few other bikes in for service.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumb_PB130915_1024.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	285.6 KB
ID:	121473  
post #21 of 54 Old Jan 11th, 2017, 2:06 pm

Quote:
Thank you for the additional input... Well wanted to give update, and a pic silly me.

I found the dealer it was sold at new!! The BMW dealer is working on sending me the records, they said it was fully up to date on all services until 2014 and 149xx miles and its now at 163xx miles. Also found out the dealer where it is going into for the inspection heard of the guys name I am dealing with, said he has a few other bikes in for service.

sounds like a good buy then.. but those blue LT's are the slowest
DanDiver, zippy_gg and gorm5 like this.
post #22 of 54 Old Jan 11th, 2017, 5:18 pm

Everyone knows that the black LT's are by far the fastest. I have also noticed their owners are very intelligent, charming as hell and damn good looking too.

Good Luck with your new bike I hope all goes well and enjoy.

Scott
2007 LT
post #23 of 54 Old Jan 11th, 2017, 7:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99+bmw View Post
sounds like a good buy then.. but those blue LT's are the slowest
Vicious rumor!
99+bmw likes this.

Patrick Russell
I live and ride in Illinois, which has some of the straightest roads in the country.

1984 Bluish Honda CB 650 (retired)
1986 Red Honda Nighthawk 450 (abandoned)
Didn't own a bike from 1999 to 2012
1997 Black Honda Valkyrie (still own)
2005 Ocean Blue BMW K1200LT (bought in March '16)

IBA Saddlesore 1000 finisher

Notable motorcyle trips:
Tail of the Dragon/Deal's Gap.
The Grand Algoma Loop in Canada.

Bucket List destinations:
Sturgis (maybe)
Nova Scotia
Pacific Coast highway
post #24 of 54 Old Jan 11th, 2017, 10:30 pm

Well, I am a bit crazy. I took cash, my helmet and riding gear onto a plane. Flew to Dallas and got a friend to take me to the dealer that had the bike. I gave the dealer cash, waited on some paperwork and rode the bike home. At least, it was in the Fall so weather wasn't a problem.

This Fall, I grabbed the cash and flew to Phoenix to buy a car. I, then, took the car on a 3,600 mile ride home via the very scenic route. It's too bad there are so many scammers in the world but if you are careful, you can avoid the scammers and find great vehicles.

Good Luck!

Current Ride: '02 LT - The Mistress
post #25 of 54 Old Jan 12th, 2017, 12:06 am

Moogmike,

Great looking Blue LT and at 16k miles, it's barely broken in. It is in a excellent condition judging from the picture. And based on what you described, it looks like the owner took very good care of it. Man ... I am jealous ...

All that being said, I have a BLACK BMW F800GT ... man, I can confirm what 99+bmw said ... my bike is very fast
99+bmw likes this.
post #26 of 54 Old Jan 12th, 2017, 4:25 pm Thread Starter

Hello all.... well as I said Id keep y'all updated. Well last night the guy messaged me and said he had someone else coming to look at it and if they didn't buy it then he would take to the dealer for the inspection...... Well..... he sold it.... SO.... Im back to the drawing board.

Well on the bright side, I learned A LOT.... So that is always a great thing!! I already have a few more to research. And now I will just put that knowledge to good use.

Thank you all so much for the help!! It was a hard buy for me since it was so far away, but it is what it is... dust myself off and move on

Mike
post #27 of 54 Old Jan 12th, 2017, 5:55 pm

Quote:
Hello all.... well as I said Id keep y'all updated. Well last night the guy messaged me and said he had someone else coming to look at it and if they didn't buy it then he would take to the dealer for the inspection...... Well..... he sold it.... SO.... Im back to the drawing board.

Well on the bright side, I learned A LOT.... So that is always a great thing!! I already have a few more to research. And now I will just put that knowledge to good use.

Thank you all so much for the help!! It was a hard buy for me since it was so far away, but it is what it is... dust myself off and move on

Mike
ouch but thats how it always works.. when you find a bike used (or almost anything) you want you need to drop everything and go. unless the dealer has 20 of the exact same ones on the lot. maybe go to ur local major bmw motorrad dealer and talk to the owner/sales manager and tell them what your looking for they may be willing to help locate if you bought threw them
guitarjim and Moogmike like this.
post #28 of 54 Old Jan 12th, 2017, 11:25 pm

Here you go: a 2005, clean, 23k miles, right in your home state

2005 BMW K1200LT
post #29 of 54 Old Jan 12th, 2017, 11:31 pm

This one is in Illinois: 2009 model, 23k miles, like new ... and even has the fast color ;-)

09 BMW K1200LT nav III
Moogmike likes this.
post #30 of 54 Old Jan 13th, 2017, 10:45 pm

There will be another bike if you are patient and winter is here so the prices should be better than they will be in the Spring. Good deals go fast. Good luck!
Moogmike likes this.

Current Ride: '02 LT - The Mistress
post #31 of 54 Old Jan 14th, 2017, 9:37 am

I'm thinking about selling my 2006, fast blue, 11,500 mi.
post #32 of 54 Old Jan 14th, 2017, 10:09 am

At least they guy was courteous enough to tell you someone was coming to look at it.
Moogmike likes this.

Marty Blok

99 LT
post #33 of 54 Old Jan 14th, 2017, 2:35 pm

Sorry you missed that one but you are going about this the right way. Don't let your enthusiasm cloud your judgement. There are plenty of well taken care of LT's out there. You need to proceed cautiously and make sure the bikes have been maintained properly with records and have not developed a serious mechanical issue by having it inspected by a competent BMW certified Mechanic. A good deal on a bike with a hidden major issue can soon turn that good deal into a disaster unless you have deep pockets and/or love to wrench.

Good Luck
Moogmike likes this.

Scott
2007 LT
post #34 of 54 Old Jan 15th, 2017, 8:32 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyBlok View Post
At least they guy was courteous enough to tell you someone was coming to look at it.
Agreed... was sad to miss out, but I'll find one eventually.
post #35 of 54 Old Jan 15th, 2017, 8:34 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton View Post
Sorry you missed that one but you are going about this the right way. Don't let your enthusiasm cloud your judgement. There are plenty of well taken care of LT's out there. You need to proceed cautiously and make sure the bikes have been maintained properly with records and have not developed a serious mechanical issue by having it inspected by a competent BMW certified Mechanic. A good deal on a bike with a hidden major issue can soon turn that good deal into a disaster unless you have deep pockets and/or love to wrench.

Good Luck

Hey thank you. Yes trying not to let my excitement get the best of me. I have found some other ones I really like but I really think they are asking to much, so I mover on from them.
post #36 of 54 Old Jan 20th, 2017, 5:09 am

Really good, fair deals don't last too long. My 02 was listed about 5 years ago and sold on Craig's list in about 2 weeks but that was because it was clean, in good shape, listed at a fair price and one of the rarest colors......GREEN.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #37 of 54 Old Jan 20th, 2017, 8:37 am

Garage

Just a reminder:

2001 K1200LT For Sale: $4500.00

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	d58989b83f47872fa407f927c820f400.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	121769  
post #38 of 54 Old Jan 23rd, 2017, 5:39 pm Thread Starter

hello everyone... I will give update when everything is done, but looks like I might have found my new ride, its a 2009 K1200 LT. Its black, was wanting blue, but it has 38K miles it looks like I will be able to get it for just under $7K. about the only add-ons is the highway pegs, Remus Exhaust, and Rizoma Carbon fiber guards (front and saddle bags). Miles are a little higher than I was hoping for, but it seems to be serviced very well, I will get all the records. Was owned by a BMW service manager.
post #39 of 54 Old Jan 24th, 2017, 5:36 am

I hope all works out for you and safe riding on the new machine.
Moogmike likes this.

Scott
2007 LT
post #40 of 54 Old Jan 24th, 2017, 10:37 am

Quote:
hello everyone... I will give update when everything is done, but looks like I might have found my new ride, its a 2009 K1200 LT. Its black, was wanting blue, but it has 38K miles ...

8 years old with 38k, that's average out to be 4750 miles per year. That's not overall a lot.

Your original post showed a 9 years old BMW with 16.5k miles, that's 1833 miles per year. The bike sat idle for 2-3 years.

While the latter bike has low mileage, and you might think it's a good thing, I personally don't like anything mechanical with an engine that sits idle for too long (i.e. a few months). Here, you were talking about years ... would love to hear from motorcycle technicians what they think about leaving a bike idle for so long.
Moogmike likes this.
post #41 of 54 Old Jan 25th, 2017, 5:48 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by F800GT View Post
8 years old with 38k, that's average out to be 4750 miles per year. That's not overall a lot.

Your original post showed a 9 years old BMW with 16.5k miles, that's 1833 miles per year. The bike sat idle for 2-3 years.

While the latter bike has low mileage, and you might think it's a good thing, I personally don't like anything mechanical with an engine that sits idle for too long (i.e. a few months). Here, you were talking about years ... would love to hear from motorcycle technicians what they think about leaving a bike idle for so long.
I can agree with you about a bike or car sitting could be issues. If sitting inside a heated garage, not sure if better, I would think. But either way.... this one I dont have to do any minor scratch fixing. So far I gave them a deposit .. refundable.

I wonder about the exhaust... not sure if good or bad, but its the whole thing... header and all and was installed at a BMW dealer.

Well if all works out should be getting it this weekend.
post #42 of 54 Old Jan 25th, 2017, 12:30 pm

Quote:
I can agree with you about a bike or car sitting could be issues. If sitting inside a heated garage, not sure if better, I would think. But either way.... this one I dont have to do any minor scratch fixing. So far I gave them a deposit .. refundable.

I wonder about the exhaust... not sure if good or bad, but its the whole thing... header and all and was installed at a BMW dealer.

Well if all works out should be getting it this weekend.
If you ever decide you want the OEM exhaust instead, let me know and I'll swap mine for yours
Mark65 and Moogmike like this.

Last edited by JaL3_SD; Jan 25th, 2017 at 1:02 pm.
post #43 of 54 Old Jan 26th, 2017, 3:03 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaL3_SD View Post
If you ever decide you want the OEM exhaust instead, let me know and I'll swap mine for yours
Thank you... honestly I will keep that in mind. I have no idea how this sounds. It was one of my concerns. I guess if I don't have an issue with it then I'll be good.
JaL3_SD likes this.
post #44 of 54 Old Jan 28th, 2017, 4:32 pm

Quote:

Damn. You beat me to it.

Mark(Big Poppa) and Julie(Fireball)
'06 K1200LT Magnesium Black "Stella"
Glendale, AZ
BMWMOA#206887
post #45 of 54 Old Jan 29th, 2017, 3:10 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
For me its ok... i will work on hearing a stock one.. might be a bit.
post #46 of 54 Old Jan 29th, 2017, 3:12 pm Thread Starter

Hello all-

First I want to say thank you for all the help.... with my questions and such. The advice, direction and the input was appreciated. So here it is It’s a 2009 L1200LT with 38K miles. Picked it up at BMW Louisville KY. I will need to replace the original windshield.... it has some haze to it. I also will have the service records, but I forgot to have them print them off for me. (A good amount of stuff done) They also set me up with a new set of rear brake pads (the groves are gone and I asked that they should have been replaced). Also the driver’s seat heated switch was goofy (so they will be mailing that to me also). Found that it has ground effects lights, but no switch found yet (didn't look much).

Anyway thank you again... and I guess its official I am now part of the group... LOL
post #47 of 54 Old Jan 29th, 2017, 3:14 pm

Quote:
Hello all-

First I want to say thank you for all the help.... with my questions and such. The advice, direction and the input was appreciated. So here it is It’s a 2009 L1200LT with 38K miles. Picked it up at BMW Louisville KY. I will need to replace the original windshield.... it has some haze to it. I also will have the service records, but I forgot to have them print them off for me. (A good amount of stuff done) They also set me up with a new set of rear brake pads (the groves are gone and I asked that they should have been replaced). Also the driver’s seat heated switch was goofy (so they will be mailing that to me also). Found that it has ground effects lights, but no switch found yet (didn't look much).

Anyway thank you again... and I guess its official I am now part of the group... LOL
Welcome, Welcome. And may the odds be ever in your favor!!

Signature
Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
post #48 of 54 Old Jan 29th, 2017, 3:18 pm Thread Starter

pics... im working on sorry they dont want to post right now
post #49 of 54 Old Jan 29th, 2017, 10:10 pm

Mike,
I think the threads state good concerns on the bike. My issue is that I would be very concerned that it maybe a scam. I got burnt once doing something similar and my gut really was telling me not to do it. Needless to say, I did it anyway and was burnt. Even to this day, it still bothers me and that was probably 8 years ago. This was prior to me getting my current 1200LT. Love my bike!!

Good luck in your venture.
post #50 of 54 Old Jan 30th, 2017, 5:56 pm

Quote:
-clip- Found that it has ground effects lights, but no switch found yet (didn't look much). -clip-
They come on when you unlock the central locking with the remote.

Oh and welcome to the group.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.