Getting my old LT back - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jwacree

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jan 9th, 2017, 11:07 am Thread Starter

Getting my old LT back

Well, last year around May, I decided I only wanted to have one bike. At the time I had my 2000 LT and a KLR 650. I liked them both but thought is was a bad idea to have 2 bikes. I also thought I was going to get into Adventure type riding more and so I sold my KLR to a friend and traded the LT into the Honda dealer for a new CB500X. I then dumped half again what I paid for the bike into a Rally Raid conversion to lift it and totally upgrade the suspension and most of the rest of the bike to get it Adventure worthy.
However, my job requires me to be gone 5 days a week traveling around the world and I just don't get to ride the kind of stuff I really want. My wife also does not like the CB500X now, its too tall and there is no back rest for her. My LT had arm rests and even a back rest for me. I want to be able to ride with my wife and still keep my CB, so I started looking for a new bike.
I went to the Honda dealer and they have a 1994 Goldwing for a good price, but I just can't seem to warm up to it as much as my old LT.
I went home and was looking at the dealers web site and the site has my old LT listed, for a smoking good price. It is listed as "May have Mechanical Issues". I think they just don't know LTs and every time they go to move it, it smokes so they think it is needing engine work.
So, they have had that bike for about 9 months and can not sell it. I also think that it is the area, not a big BMW area, lower income working class folks. Also, as the dealer said when I traded it in, BMW people want a perfect bike with lots of service records. I service the heck out of that bike, but its all in my head. So, they are stuck with a bike they can't unload. I was insulted at what they offered me in trade when I gave it to them, now I think I can get it back for even less than they bought it from me for.
I loved that bike and wish I had never traded it off. I now have the chance to get it back. Oh, and they put a new tire on the front, my old one was at about 50%. So new tire in the deal too
Wish me luck.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 K1200LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jan 9th, 2017, 11:15 am

Re: Getting my old LT back

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmopars View Post
Well, last year around May, I decided I only wanted to have one bike. At the time I had my 2000 LT and a KLR 650. I liked them both but thought is was a bad idea to have 2 bikes. I also thought I was going to get into Adventure type riding more and so I sold my KLR to a friend and traded the LT into the Honda dealer for a new CB500X. I then dumped half again what I paid for the bike into a Rally Raid conversion to lift it and totally upgrade the suspension and most of the rest of the bike to get it Adventure worthy.
However, my job requires me to be gone 5 days a week traveling around the world and I just don't get to ride the kind of stuff I really want. My wife also does not like the CB500X now, its too tall and there is no back rest for her. My LT had arm rests and even a back rest for me. I want to be able to ride with my wife and still keep my CB, so I started looking for a new bike.
I went to the Honda dealer and they have a 1994 Goldwing for a good price, but I just can't seem to warm up to it as much as my old LT.
I went home and was looking at the dealers web site and the site has my old LT listed, for a smoking good price. It is listed as "May have Mechanical Issues". I think they just don't know LTs and every time they go to move it, it smokes so they think it is needing engine work.
So, they have had that bike for about 9 months and can not sell it. I also think that it is the area, not a big BMW area, lower income working class folks. Also, as the dealer said when I traded it in, BMW people want a perfect bike with lots of service records. I service the heck out of that bike, but its all in my head. So, they are stuck with a bike they can't unload. I was insulted at what they offered me in trade when I gave it to them, now I think I can get it back for even less than they bought it from me for.
I loved that bike and wish I had never traded it off. I now have the chance to get it back. Oh, and they put a new tire on the front, my old one was at about 50%. So new tire in the deal too
Wish me luck.
There is no better way to know what you are getting than it having been yours once already. Good luck.

Signature
Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride)
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced
post #3 of 10 Old Jan 9th, 2017, 12:04 pm

I hope you get it back. And cheap.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.

post #4 of 10 Old Jan 9th, 2017, 12:29 pm

I got my old 2000 LT back some years ago, while still living/working in Dallas. I felt same way and could not resist. I had traded it for a HD Ultra Classic, they sold it to my local dealer who immediately sold it and then a couple years later, it ended up back at the dealer as a co-signment sale. So I traded back the HD and got it back.. I ended up doing a co-signment on it some couple yrs later, as wife had to stop riding.. Never did find out where it went, never saw it again.

Now after retirement, one more 02 LT out of GA, and 2 yrs later, have moved to an RT.. Left knee getting to bad to hold the LT..!

Last edited by EzyMount; Jan 9th, 2017 at 1:07 pm.
post #5 of 10 Old Jan 9th, 2017, 1:29 pm

I would not think twice. You know that bike, you liked it, you miss it and you can get it for less than you sold it for. It is a no brainer IMO

Alain

Vieux motard que jamais
post #6 of 10 Old Jan 12th, 2017, 12:19 am

9 months later - you may even deal with a salesperson that doesn't know you...lol. Looks like a great opportunity to get a lower price to offset the dealer fees that inevitably get tacked on as you know. I would ask some question if someone had it for a weekend and brought it back or if it has been there the whole time.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Current Ride: '02 LT - The Mistress
post #7 of 10 Old Jan 12th, 2017, 1:13 pm Thread Starter

Well I called the dealer and talked to the salesman, and he talked to the service guy, it is a small dealer. I did not let them know it was my old bike, I acted like a new customer. He told me that they took it in on trade and everything seemed OK, but then they ran the VIN and found a recall for "Driveline Issues", I'm thinking final drive. They said that there is issues with the drive line and that the BMW dealer will not fix it till it breaks.
I personally think that when they rode it, they heard the famous "K-Whine" and think it has an issue. I do know it had a good whine at about 55 mph.
I had that bike for a few years and put about 16-18K miles on it. I put a new clutch in it and did all the other updates and service that was needed during my time owning it.
While because it is a small dealer, and I go back sometimes with my buddy, they will know me. I am not sure how they will handle me going back in to buy the bike back. I plan to make them a very low offer. They have had it for 9 months, never sold it and it is stored out back and not where people will see it. Its like they don't know what to do with it, and its a liability. I hope if I go back in an low-ball them, they will take it just to be rid of what they think is a pile of junk.
Only problem is, they think I am the guy that stuck them with that pile of junk and they may not be happy to sell it back to me at the price I offer.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

2000 K1200LT

post #8 of 10 Old Jan 12th, 2017, 1:55 pm

Garage

Make them an offer. Remember this, It's only worth more to YOU. They don't have to know that. You are doing them a favor to even offer to take it off their hands. That's the attitude you have to have.
They made money off you when you traded it in. I bet they don't have any real money in the bike.
So, make them an offer.

I hope you get it.
Munmi likes this.

1999 K1200LT Rat Bike Sold
2000 K1200LT Black Bike SOLD
2003 K1200RS Alpine White and Blue SOLD
2002 R1150GS sold
2008 "smart"
2001 K1200LT current project, AKA M1.2, AKA Horten 229
2002 F650GS It's runnin y'all
2005 K1200S
2012 R1200GS Rally
post #9 of 10 Old Jan 13th, 2017, 11:38 pm

I got my LT from a Ducati dealer that took it in on a trade. They didn't want it anywhere near their pretty bikes - understandable. The owner of the dealership (and former Ducati sponsored racer) didn't have it out for anyone to see. So, I got a great deal on a bike I really like.

Current Ride: '02 LT - The Mistress
post #10 of 10 Old Jan 14th, 2017, 3:46 pm

Unless you are a loyal customer and have developed a relationship with them from their honest dealings with you, I would really low ball them, especially if they think it has issues. Business is business, most of the time the buyer gets screwed now its your turn to return the favor.

Good Luck.

Scott
2007 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.