New LT owner - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 75 Old Nov 8th, 2016, 4:26 pm Thread Starter

New LT owner

I bought my first BMW, a 2008 K1200S tricolor in May 2016. I was really impressed with the engineering, even though it has its faults like anything else. I accidentally came across a 2002 K1200LT on craigslist while helping my riding partner look for a bike. It has 66,000 miles, comes with accessories and seemed like a great price. I test rode it and bought it yesterday.

I cant post pictures....great...o well.

I read about the reviews of the LT. Some people were very critical of the bike, particularly its weight. Im 6'1" and 210 athletic lbs, and have ridden a Goldwing, among many other bikes, so the weight was not much of an issue. Here is my impression of this bike:

It seems very similar to the general feel of the Goldwing, so it felt familiar. I love the reverse gear....very cool. The electric windscreen is also a very nice feature, as is the heated seats. I briefly tried the cruise control. The switch is a bit hard to move, Can this be lubed? Speaking of hard to move, the throttle is very difficult to turn and is a bit sticky. I read about an upgrade from BMW and will consider this a priority. The brakes are rather strong, but a bit difficult to modulate. I also noticed the alternate brake light flash with the triangle. This could be a weak battery (bike sat for a bit) or low brake fluid. I replaced the fluid in both reservoirs and noticed the brake lights went out.

I peeked under the front and saw purple Hyperpro Steering damper an purple spring. Also, the rear shock and spring appears to be Hyperpro too. The suspension kind of feels like its bottoming out. Maybe preload needs adjusting? I hope the shocks arent blown. Ill double check the tire pressure.

The power is surprisingly good for an 840 lb bike of about 95 hp. The engine is noisy, as i had read about. The windscreen keeps most of the air off of my and is nice to see through.

The "radio" screen (the little screen near the ignition switch) was completely crusty. I scraped a lot off with my fingernail and then used plastic polish. Now I can see the radio station and other functions of that screen. Ill run some fine grit sandpaper on it and polish it better, but it was completely blocked before.

There does not appear to be any leaks.I know the FD is a problem on these bikes. I figure Ill drive it around and then yank off the "tupperware" and check it out....change throttle cables, look at air filter, change plugs, clean inside, remove charcoal cannister, replace plastic fuel fittings....anything else while I'm in there?

The front seat cover is sun-damaged. Ill have to replace it so it looks nicer as it diminishes the bike's otherwise nice appearance. The cover around the rear speaker is also sun damaged. Is that just a vinyl cover or is it plastic? Its hard to tell.

It has expensive auxiliary lights but they dont work. Ill have to check out the problem. The switch lights up but the lights dont turn on.

The BMW cup holder is nice but I guess the cup is supposed to have a lid on.....duh.

Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas, feedback?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 Old Nov 8th, 2016, 5:15 pm

Re: New LT owner

Well Welcome to the forum. If you are not afraid of people knowing who and where you are, fill out a little more of your profile so we know if there is anyone close enough to assist should you need it.

As for its weight, that is really only an issue at 5mph or below. It also sounds like yo might have some nice upgrades on it like the HP shocks and lights when you fix them.

Most people leave the cruise switch in the on position and yes, it is tight but not in a place you will accidentally set cruise on.

Depending on what model shocks, you may have some damping adjustments that could be out of wack or the guy had a very light spring put on it. It shouldn't be bottoming out with just your weight.

The FD for a 2002 is in the range where issues were higher so keep an eye on it. It may have already been addressed but if you have an issue, we have a really good guy on the forum if you are in the states who rebuilds them right.

The biggest safety issue you might still have is the original brake lines. If they are black rubber coated and old looking, they need to be replaced pretty quickly. If they are stainless braided (possibly colored), then they have already been done and you won't have to worry about them again unless they get damaged.

If you haven't figured it out with your K12S, she loves the higher RPM also so don't be afraid to run it up and ride it there.

Box of rocks. Yep, mine and most are just plain noisy.

Check ebay for parts as there are many to be had if some of yours have seen too many sunny days

While you have the tank off to replace the air filter, you should inspect the fuel lines inside the tank. The ethanol now in the gas is deteriorating them faster than E0 gas would and they are bursting. They are old anyway on an 02 so consider a preemptive replacement of them. I used a Nylon replacement set from Euro MotoElectric so I won't have that issue again but make sure if you decide to replace the hoses, you use submersible higher than 50PSI EFI line or it will die a very quick death and you will be right back in.

Two other things to be aware of are the clutch slave and the dreaded O-ring that seals the inside of the clutch housing behind the large nut on the engine output shaft. the O-ring was not made of a really great material and the heat and oil from the clutch cause it to dry and crack over time, allowing oil to leak into your clutch. It is a dry clutch so that is not good. 2. The throw out bearing is in the end of the clutch slave and if it starts to bind, it can start the piston spinning and damage the seal allowing brake fluid to travel down the clutch pushrod into the clutch again. There are fixes and work arounds for these issues that include drilling some weep holes but you have to drop the transmission out to do the O-ring and that is a good bit of work. I did mine last year and there is a better material Viton O-ring to use than the stock one should you venture into that area. The weep holes are only a way to know you have an issue and not a fix or these issues but the slave weep hole indicator could save you a clutch.

Pictures have to be pretty small in KB so edit a copy in paint and save it in pixles as 1500 by whatever it adjusts to and then drag and drop it in the upload area just below the text box and let us see your latest find.

If you do have any issues, the depth of knowledge on this forum is astounding so don't be afraid to ask.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	no pics2.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	118561  
HillmoorPete and DeusExMaxima like this.

Signature
Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride)
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced
post #3 of 75 Old Nov 8th, 2016, 6:00 pm

Garage

Welcome to the forum from Sherman, Illinois. There is a ton of information on the site on previous posts, under tools, and also just by asking. Good luck and enjoy the ride!

post #4 of 75 Old Nov 8th, 2016, 10:38 pm

Garage

Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

2000 R1100RT
post #5 of 75 Old Nov 9th, 2016, 9:40 am

Welcome from Champaign, IL.

Patrick Russell
I live and ride in Illinois, which has some of the straightest roads in the country.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 Bluish Honda CB 650 (retired)
1986 Red Honda Nighthawk 450 (abandoned)
Didn't own a bike from 1999 to 2012
1997 Black Honda Valkyrie (still own)
2005 Ocean Blue BMW K1200LT (bought in March '16)

IBA Saddlesore 1000 finisher

Notable motorcyle trips:
Tail of the Dragon/Deal's Gap.
The Grand Algoma Loop in Canada.

Bucket List destinations:
Sturgis (maybe)
Nova Scotia
Pacific Coast highway
post #6 of 75 Old Nov 9th, 2016, 2:47 pm Thread Starter

Thank you for the warm welcome guys and for the great information.

Ill check the bike further over the weekend. The alternating brake failure light/triangle still comes on but it then goes out. Im thinking weak battery, likely caused by the bike sitting.

The mirrors do not seem to adjust to where I can see next to me in the adjacent lanes. Is there a fix for this? The PO put these little convex mirrors on the mirror which helps some.

The transmission shifts beautifully, unlike my K12S which clunks in place when shifting. It clicks through the gears very easily.

The radio has decent sound but doesnt seem to have great reception. Any fix for this?

I have been enjoying this bike so much I havent even ridden my other bikes since I got it. The weather here in Southern California has been marvelous (high 80s to low 90s) for riding.
post #7 of 75 Old Nov 9th, 2016, 3:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima View Post
Thank you for the warm welcome guys and for the great information.

Ill check the bike further over the weekend. The alternating brake failure light/triangle still comes on but it then goes out. Im thinking weak battery, likely caused by the bike sitting.

The mirrors do not seem to adjust to where I can see next to me in the adjacent lanes. Is there a fix for this? The PO put these little convex mirrors on the mirror which helps some.

The transmission shifts beautifully, unlike my K12S which clunks in place when shifting. It clicks through the gears very easily.

The radio has decent sound but doesnt seem to have great reception. Any fix for this?

I have been enjoying this bike so much I havent even ridden my other bikes since I got it. The weather here in Southern California has been marvelous (high 80s to low 90s) for riding.
The mirrors leave a little to be desired as far as adjustability so some have put additional mirrors on the handle bars. If you look in front of each hand grip in the switch clusters, there is a hole if you wanted to add some.

The flashing brake lights will some on every time you start the bike and should go out after you roll 10 or 20 feet. If they are coming on while riding, then it indicates an issue that would need to be looked at. If they are alternating as you say at 1Hz and you still have brakes, then one of the brake reservoirs is likely low. They need to be pretty topped off. There are 4 reservoirs. Clutch and front brake on the bars and 2 under the rear seat on the right side I believe. The ones under the seat are the ones with the sensors. Could be a weak battery but make sure to check the fluid levels. I have an 01 so it is a little different without the servo brake system.

My radio is pretty poor on reception and actually cuts out so I don't use it. You can pull the top case and remove the antenna and clean the contact area with some emery paper and it might help.

Signature
Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
post #8 of 75 Old Nov 9th, 2016, 3:41 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
Well Welcome to the forum. If you are not afraid of people knowing who and where you are, fill out a little more of your profile so we know if there is anyone close enough to assist should you need it.

As for its weight, that is really only an issue at 5mph or below. It also sounds like yo might have some nice upgrades on it like the HP shocks and lights when you fix them.

Most people leave the cruise switch in the on position and yes, it is tight but not in a place you will accidentally set cruise on.

Depending on what model shocks, you may have some damping adjustments that could be out of wack or the guy had a very light spring put on it. It shouldn't be bottoming out with just your weight.

The FD for a 2002 is in the range where issues were higher so keep an eye on it. It may have already been addressed but if you have an issue, we have a really good guy on the forum if you are in the states who rebuilds them right.

The biggest safety issue you might still have is the original brake lines. If they are black rubber coated and old looking, they need to be replaced pretty quickly. If they are stainless braided (possibly colored), then they have already been done and you won't have to worry about them again unless they get damaged.

If you haven't figured it out with your K12S, she loves the higher RPM also so don't be afraid to run it up and ride it there.

Box of rocks. Yep, mine and most are just plain noisy.

Check ebay for parts as there are many to be had if some of yours have seen too many sunny days

While you have the tank off to replace the air filter, you should inspect the fuel lines inside the tank. The ethanol now in the gas is deteriorating them faster than E0 gas would and they are bursting. They are old anyway on an 02 so consider a preemptive replacement of them. I used a Nylon replacement set from Euro MotoElectric so I won't have that issue again but make sure if you decide to replace the hoses, you use submersible higher than 50PSI EFI line or it will die a very quick death and you will be right back in.

Two other things to be aware of are the clutch slave and the dreaded O-ring that seals the inside of the clutch housing behind the large nut on the engine output shaft. the O-ring was not made of a really great material and the heat and oil from the clutch cause it to dry and crack over time, allowing oil to leak into your clutch. It is a dry clutch so that is not good. 2. The throw out bearing is in the end of the clutch slave and if it starts to bind, it can start the piston spinning and damage the seal allowing brake fluid to travel down the clutch pushrod into the clutch again. There are fixes and work arounds for these issues that include drilling some weep holes but you have to drop the transmission out to do the O-ring and that is a good bit of work. I did mine last year and there is a better material Viton O-ring to use than the stock one should you venture into that area. The weep holes are only a way to know you have an issue and not a fix or these issues but the slave weep hole indicator could save you a clutch.

Pictures have to be pretty small in KB so edit a copy in paint and save it in pixles as 1500 by whatever it adjusts to and then drag and drop it in the upload area just below the text box and let us see your latest find.

If you do have any issues, the depth of knowledge on this forum is astounding so don't be afraid to ask.
I would add to Gordon's excellent list to also check and see if the fuel quick disconnects have been replaced with metal ones (factory were plastic and subject to deterioration over time). You can do a search on this site for replacements, but here's what I used:

Jiffy-tite Quick Fuel Line Disconnects - Jiffy-tite BMW Quick Disconnect Fuel Line Kit

Some guys just removed them altogether and replaced them with metal barbed fittings. Welcome to the forum and enjoy the ride...she's a great bike!

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #9 of 75 Old Nov 9th, 2016, 4:26 pm Thread Starter

Pic of the bike:

post #10 of 75 Old Nov 9th, 2016, 5:13 pm

Looks like you got an aftermarket windshield as well, nice! Welcome from Arizona, if you're riding through Phoenix, let me know, I'll ride with you! Great roads out here BTW.

And brake lines for sure!

Mark

Mark(Big Poppa) and Julie(Fireball)
'06 K1200LT Magnesium Black "Stella"
Glendale, AZ
BMWMOA#206887
post #11 of 75 Old Nov 9th, 2016, 5:58 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark65 View Post
Looks like you got an aftermarket windshield as well, nice! Welcome from Arizona, if you're riding through Phoenix, let me know, I'll ride with you! Great roads out here BTW.

And brake lines for sure!

Mark
Hi Mark....Great name (Im Mark too!). How can you tell its an aftermarket windscreen? I will definitely let you know if I come out your way. I rode through there on Interstate 10 last year to Texas on my Triumph Sprint.

A couple of things I remembered....the right mirror is a bit wiggly..possibly from a prior drop since the chrome strip below the mirror on the lower side of the bike is damaged. Any fix for a wiggly mirror?

What tire pressures are you guys running? Im thinking 40ish since bike is so heavy. EDIT***I checked and 36F and 42R is recommended but guys are running 42F and 48R. This may be why my suspension feels funny - possible low tire pressure.

Last edited by DeusExMaxima; Nov 9th, 2016 at 6:35 pm.
post #12 of 75 Old Nov 9th, 2016, 6:07 pm

Mirrors are held on with three ball and socket connectors, they're purposely breakaway. Might be one is not fully engaged. Look at the cut lines of the bodywork, if it's not tight you can see it.

As for the windshield, it's the shape and clarity that are the giveaways. The top corners on yours are much more square than stock.

Mark(Big Poppa) and Julie(Fireball)
'06 K1200LT Magnesium Black "Stella"
Glendale, AZ
BMWMOA#206887
post #13 of 75 Old Nov 9th, 2016, 10:13 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Welcome from Quincy, IL.

I just want to add about putting tethers on your mirrors just in case they pop off. This way they won't be bouncing on the ground. Cheap fix and different ways to do it: purchase pre-made cables, heavy duty fishing line, wire ties, etc.
Mark65 and ProfSnape like this.

Dennis Franks
Illinois

2012 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT traded-in
BMW-MOA 156125

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 75 Old Nov 10th, 2016, 7:45 am

Welcome and congrat on your new bike, looks very similar to mine. You will love it. 66k miles on an LT is nothing. Like yours the vinil parts on mine started showing their age so this year I replaced the vinil around the speakers as well as the knee pads myself. Cost me $60 of vinil material. I also replaced the front seat cover with a leather one I got on ebay from there. BLACK STITCH CUSTOM FITS BMW K 1200 LT 04-07 FRONT LEATHER SEAT COVER | eBay
This leather seat cover is excellent and looks absolutely superb. It gives the bike a luxury look that the stock seat cover did not.
The flashing brake lights are probably due to a weak battery, even if the battery can still start the bike.
The LT is a fantastic and reliable bike when maintained properly. With the help of this forum and if you are mechanically inclined you wll be able to service and maintain your bike yourself.

Alain

Vieux motard que jamais

Last edited by Alpac; Nov 10th, 2016 at 7:50 am.
post #15 of 75 Old Nov 13th, 2016, 8:26 pm

Toothpaste. That is what I used on my radio screen. Could not see anything through it at first and now it looks like new. Give it a try !

Cheers
Mike
post #16 of 75 Old Nov 13th, 2016, 8:55 pm

Garage

I noticed you have the Mick O' Pegs...if you ever decide to try something else, please remember me! I am interested in trying them but not eager to pay the $350 for them.

Jerry

Quote:
I bought my first BMW, a 2008 K1200S tricolor in May 2016. I was really impressed with the engineering, even though it has its faults like anything else. I accidentally came across a 2002 K1200LT on craigslist while helping my riding partner look for a bike. It has 66,000 miles, comes with accessories and seemed like a great price. I test rode it and bought it yesterday.

I cant post pictures....great...o well.

I read about the reviews of the LT. Some people were very critical of the bike, particularly its weight. Im 6'1" and 210 athletic lbs, and have ridden a Goldwing, among many other bikes, so the weight was not much of an issue. Here is my impression of this bike:

It seems very similar to the general feel of the Goldwing, so it felt familiar. I love the reverse gear....very cool. The electric windscreen is also a very nice feature, as is the heated seats. I briefly tried the cruise control. The switch is a bit hard to move, Can this be lubed? Speaking of hard to move, the throttle is very difficult to turn and is a bit sticky. I read about an upgrade from BMW and will consider this a priority. The brakes are rather strong, but a bit difficult to modulate. I also noticed the alternate brake light flash with the triangle. This could be a weak battery (bike sat for a bit) or low brake fluid. I replaced the fluid in both reservoirs and noticed the brake lights went out.

I peeked under the front and saw purple Hyperpro Steering damper an purple spring. Also, the rear shock and spring appears to be Hyperpro too. The suspension kind of feels like its bottoming out. Maybe preload needs adjusting? I hope the shocks arent blown. Ill double check the tire pressure.

The power is surprisingly good for an 840 lb bike of about 95 hp. The engine is noisy, as i had read about. The windscreen keeps most of the air off of my and is nice to see through.

The "radio" screen (the little screen near the ignition switch) was completely crusty. I scraped a lot off with my fingernail and then used plastic polish. Now I can see the radio station and other functions of that screen. Ill run some fine grit sandpaper on it and polish it better, but it was completely blocked before.

There does not appear to be any leaks.I know the FD is a problem on these bikes. I figure Ill drive it around and then yank off the "tupperware" and check it out....change throttle cables, look at air filter, change plugs, clean inside, remove charcoal cannister, replace plastic fuel fittings....anything else while I'm in there?

The front seat cover is sun-damaged. Ill have to replace it so it looks nicer as it diminishes the bike's otherwise nice appearance. The cover around the rear speaker is also sun damaged. Is that just a vinyl cover or is it plastic? Its hard to tell.

It has expensive auxiliary lights but they dont work. Ill have to check out the problem. The switch lights up but the lights dont turn on.

The BMW cup holder is nice but I guess the cup is supposed to have a lid on.....duh.

Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas, feedback?
post #17 of 75 Old Nov 14th, 2016, 1:53 pm Thread Starter

I assume the Mick O pegs are those highway pegs I have. They are very nice...I have been using them on the highway. I notice that if my pant legs have any flare to them, that they catch on the pegs - a bit scary. I just make sure I use narrow pant legs or I tuck them

UPDATE*** So I have ridden the bike for about 130 miles including city riding, taking it up the mountains and on a 35 mile highway ride two up.

Suspension: The bike seems to bang on hard bumps, indicating bottoming out. The ride on rougher roads seems "choppy". In corners, the bike seems a bit unstable and not planted. The front appears to have a purple spring which I believe is Hyperpro. Im not sure if the shock is stock or not. The rear shock has a black spring but no preload adjuster like the stock rear shock has. I assume its an aftermarket shock and spring. I am guessing that the shocks are blown. I plan to take the Tupperware off and service the bike. When I do, I will take the shocks down to Race Tech and see if they can rebuild them (I'm sure they can). I expect the suspension to glide down the highway, but the ride is pretty poor except on smooth roads, when the suspension isnt doing much. Any thoughts here?

Coolant temperature: When riding down the road, the temperature seems normal - just below half on the gauge. Wehn I either sit at a long stop light, sit in traffic, or when going up the mountain, the gauge climbs to 3/4, which seems high to me. My plan is to flush the radiators using distilled water and white vinegar, and possibly change the thermostat. What do you guys think?

Brakes: The front rotor seems warped since there is a distinct "shake" when I apply the front brakes, but no shake when rear brakes are applied. Also, when I brake hard, I feel the brakes "let up" or release for a moment, indicating ABS kicking in I think. I think the two are related. Should I have the rotors turned or get brand new rotors, or some other remedy?

Brake light flash: The brake light and the triangle flash alternately as I mentioned prior. I notice that they flash when I have not ridden in a few hours. Otherwise, they don't flash. For example, last night I rode about 8 miles with the lights flashing. I pulled over, turned the bike off, turned it back on and started it up and the lights did not flash for the next few blocks when I arrived home. I will check the rear brake fluid level. If its fine, then maybe its thee battery like we have suspected.

Brake lines: I checked the brake lines as you guys suggested and they are the rubber lines. They are well-covered, but I believe they fail from the inside out?

What do you guys think about getting armrests and footboards? The stock thick pegs are pretty good. Are there easy upgrades to the factory speakers? The standard radio system doesnt seem bad, but a little improvement couldnt hurt. I still need to figure out the poor radio reception.

I noticed that you have to be very focused when riding slow due to the weight. You literally cant let up at all. Even with its downfalls, I really enjoy riding this bike and look forward to it being even better after its issues are addressed.
post #18 of 75 Old Nov 14th, 2016, 3:45 pm

I think but am not 100% sure that all the LT's came with a hydraulic preload adjustment fr the rear shock so that would lead me to agree that it has been changed out. Once you get the tupperware off, you can check to see what it actually is and then see if it is even the correct application for the bike. I am interested in what you find.

As for the temp, that all sounds pretty normal as far as what you are seeing. The fans should come on as the temp reaches 221F. As long as the temp light is not coming on and the temp drops when the fans do run, you should be OK.

I am not sure if the rotors can be turned, they are not like car rotors with built in additional metal. There is not much you could remove especially with some wear on them before they would be at the minimum thickness. They could be warped a little bit. On the LT, it is the rotor that floats and not the caliper. The rotor has wave washers between the roll pins and the rotor to allow some flex but it isn't floppy or it shouldn't be. If something is binding there, it could cause some vibration when the brakes are applied. If they are warped, then they should probably be replaced if it is bad enough. I have not troubleshot it yet but I think I bent one of my new EBC rotors as I didn't take them off before beating the wheel bearings out of it. I didn't know till I tried to use it and had a pretty good judder on applying the front break. If the ABS is kicking in, I would think you would know it.

Again on the flashing brake light, fill the reservoir up completely and hopefully that will fix that light issue. Just remember, if you need to pull the brakes out, remove some of the fluid or it will overflow all over your bike and floor when you push the pistons back.

Brake lines. Yes, they fail from the inside and sometime will block themselves. Spiegler makes a set with everything you need.

Armrests are good if you want them and pillion foot boards are good also. Driver foot boards I would not put on if you ride it anywhere other than on highways. On the twisties or in a good lean, they will drag. Some who put them on, took them back off for that reason.

There are some who boast they have never dropped their LT's but most of us have found themselves in a bad position at slow movement or in a hard stop and grabbed a handful of front break with the front bars turned a little and down you go with little you can do about it. Below 5MPH she is a pig but amazingly spry above that. Here is my training video. A hard stop and turned the bars just a little at the end.

Pay attention during stops. Keep your head up looking forward and the bars straight. Try not to put your feet down until you have reached a complete stop as a foot too far forward or backward of center will do little if she starts to go. If she does, just get out of the way and then pick her up and go again.

If you haven't found the videos done by Kirk in the BMW club of Illinois, they are a very good source of information for anyone doing their own wrenching.

Signature
Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
post #19 of 75 Old Nov 14th, 2016, 11:24 pm
Administrator

Welcome to the DA club of which 99% of all LT owners belong to

This was a picture of pin an LT owner had made up many years ago and as you may notice he placed on the rear luggage case the initials: DA which of course stands for Droppers Anonymous

He sold them for $5 each, as I recall, to all that would admit to a drop and quickly ran out of pins!!

You are officially a member now . . .

gorm5 and ProfSnape like this.

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"

post #20 of 75 Old Nov 15th, 2016, 7:29 am

Do you receive the "Ace DA" honor if you drop her 5 times? "Double Ace DA" for 10 drops?

I'm working on "Ace" with 4 drops in three years of ownership.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
ProfSnape likes this.
post #21 of 75 Old Nov 15th, 2016, 9:00 am

I dropped mine. First month I had it. Tried to U-turn in a driveway. Too slow, too much crown. I bailed off and scratched an immaculate bike! So pissed.
Mark65 and ProfSnape like this.

MarkF
2005 Ducati ST3
post #22 of 75 Old Nov 15th, 2016, 9:54 am

Garage

I dropped mine the first week, put the kickstand down but it stuck halfway and then the bike rolled forward right off the stand. There was no chance of keeping that ship afloat.
DropTopCop and frhekö like this.
post #23 of 75 Old Nov 15th, 2016, 11:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfSnape View Post
I dropped mine the first week, put the kickstand down but it stuck halfway and then the bike rolled forward right off the stand. There was no chance of keeping that ship afloat.
That video was #4 for me and Pillion was on the back. I might have been able to keep it upright if I was alone. Did it another time previously with her on trying a u-turn in a small space. You quickly learn what you can and can't do at low speed on an LT. Practicing low speed maneuvers will greatly lessen your chances of a nap but probably not eliminate them.
ProfSnape likes this.

Signature
Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
post #24 of 75 Old Nov 15th, 2016, 1:21 pm

I dropped mine on the first trip. Stopped to take a picture, put the bike on sidestand (motor running) on a teeny incline, stepped off and saw here go down after a couple seconds. Luckily I had not done any tupperware fixes yet

Jay - 2006 BMW K1200LT, 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R and 2014 Suzuki Burgman 650 ABS
post #25 of 75 Old Nov 15th, 2016, 5:43 pm

Garage

First, Welcome to the forum and to LT ownership.

Second, as for mirrors, I use two wire ties and it keeps them for falling to the ground when someone passes too close and they pop off (like me in the garage).

Finally, three drops in four years of ownership. Where can I get that pin?

Enjoy the ride!
bmwcoolk1200 and Mark65 like this.

Chris

2005 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R1150RT (sold)
1998 BMW R1200c (sold)
post #26 of 75 Old Nov 21st, 2016, 4:27 pm Thread Starter

The poor radio reception was annoying me. Im a radio guy (ham radio operator since I was a teen). I noticed that the reception didnt change when I touched the antenna. This led me to believe that the antenna was not connected properly although it looked like it was connected well. I pulled up the rubber cover at the base of the antenna. Then I unscrewed the antenna mast. I noticed that it had been pulled up. I did this all whilest the radio was on. Then I pushed the mast down and VOILA!! The radio reception came booming in!! I tightened it up and returned the boot to its proper position. Now Im enjoying very good radio reception. I also found that I can hook up my cell phone the the radio and play music from my phone....very cool.

I still have the intermittent blinking brake light, warning light. I charged the battery completely and still have the light. I believe one of the brake reservoirs is low. I filled up the front one. Where is the rear brake fluid reservoir?
post #27 of 75 Old Nov 21st, 2016, 4:38 pm

Quote:
The poor radio reception was annoying me. Im a radio guy (ham radio operator since I was a teen). I noticed that the reception didnt change when I touched the antenna. This led me to believe that the antenna was not connected properly although it looked like it was connected well. I pulled up the rubber cover at the base of the antenna. Then I unscrewed the antenna mast. I noticed that it had been pulled up. I did this all whilest the radio was on. Then I pushed the mast down and VOILA!! The radio reception came booming in!! I tightened it up and returned the boot to its proper position. Now Im enjoying very good radio reception. I also found that I can hook up my cell phone the the radio and play music from my phone....very cool.

I still have the intermittent blinking brake light, warning light. I charged the battery completely and still have the light. I believe one of the brake reservoirs is low. I filled up the front one. Where is the rear brake fluid reservoir?
Rear ones are on the right side of the bike under the seat. There are 4 reservoirs on the I-ABS models. Look under where the front and rear seat come together on the right side of the bike. Those need to be pretty well topped off. Just be carefull to remove fluid if you force the brakes back to remove calipers and or change pads or it will overflow all over your garage. Those two under the seat are the ones with the sensors.

Signature
Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
post #28 of 75 Old Nov 21st, 2016, 4:44 pm

Garage

RHS under the rear seat. difficult to get to remove the seat is best there are 2 chambers, unscrew the tops leave the over flow hoses on and use a syringe and tube to fill them, up or any other way you choose almost to the top on each.

brake flush video

Regards Linton

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #29 of 75 Old Nov 21st, 2016, 9:51 pm

Welcome to the LT and to the forum - I know you will enjoy both!
post #30 of 75 Old Nov 22nd, 2016, 5:05 pm Thread Starter

Thank you.

The rear reservoir was a bit of a pain to get to. I lifted the front seat and remove the two bolts to remove the rear seat. I remove the right side passenger Peg and unscrewed all the bolts that held the panel on except one which was hidden behind the knee pad area. I just gently pulled the panel away from the reservoir to give me enough clearance to top off the fluid. Instead of a funnel I just used a straw pressed against the brake fluid bottle and let the brake fluid drip down the straw into the reservoir. I learned that little trick in chemistry lab in college many moons ago.

The alternating flashing brake lights have stopped and only the normal flashing brake light remains until I drive 5 feet.
Axle likes this.
post #31 of 75 Old Nov 22nd, 2016, 5:54 pm

Quote:
I think but am not 100% sure that all the LT's came with a hydraulic preload adjustment fr the rear shock so that would lead me to agree that it has been changed out. Once you get the tupperware off, you can check to see what it actually is and then see if it is even the correct application for the bike. I am interested in what you find.

As for the temp, that all sounds pretty normal as far as what you are seeing. The fans should come on as the temp reaches 221F. As long as the temp light is not coming on and the temp drops when the fans do run, you should be OK.

I am not sure if the rotors can be turned, they are not like car rotors with built in additional metal. There is not much you could remove especially with some wear on them before they would be at the minimum thickness. They could be warped a little bit. On the LT, it is the rotor that floats and not the caliper. The rotor has wave washers between the roll pins and the rotor to allow some flex but it isn't floppy or it shouldn't be. If something is binding there, it could cause some vibration when the brakes are applied. If they are warped, then they should probably be replaced if it is bad enough. I have not troubleshot it yet but I think I bent one of my new EBC rotors as I didn't take them off before beating the wheel bearings out of it. I didn't know till I tried to use it and had a pretty good judder on applying the front break. If the ABS is kicking in, I would think you would know it.

Again on the flashing brake light, fill the reservoir up completely and hopefully that will fix that light issue. Just remember, if you need to pull the brakes out, remove some of the fluid or it will overflow all over your bike and floor when you push the pistons back.

Brake lines. Yes, they fail from the inside and sometime will block themselves. Spiegler makes a set with everything you need.

Armrests are good if you want them and pillion foot boards are good also. Driver foot boards I would not put on if you ride it anywhere other than on highways. On the twisties or in a good lean, they will drag. Some who put them on, took them back off for that reason.

There are some who boast they have never dropped their LT's but most of us have found themselves in a bad position at slow movement or in a hard stop and grabbed a handful of front break with the front bars turned a little and down you go with little you can do about it. Below 5MPH she is a pig but amazingly spry above that. Here is my training video. A hard stop and turned the bars just a little at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMSqj4CDCsM

Pay attention during stops. Keep your head up looking forward and the bars straight. Try not to put your feet down until you have reached a complete stop as a foot too far forward or backward of center will do little if she starts to go. If she does, just get out of the way and then pick her up and go again.

If you haven't found the videos done by Kirk in the BMW club of Illinois, they are a very good source of information for anyone doing their own wrenching.
Just saw this.

This is NOT an LT you are riding in the video, is it ? It looks like an RT.

I have never been able to pick up this bike by myself when I dropped it. I have seen the videos but have not been able to pick it up alone.

I am 6ft tall and 155 Lbs. Have strong legs but still can't lift the monster.
post #32 of 75 Old Nov 22nd, 2016, 6:00 pm

Quote:
Rear ones are on the right side of the bike under the seat. There are 4 reservoirs on the I-ABS models. Look under where the front and rear seat come together on the right side of the bike. Those need to be pretty well topped off. Just be carefull to remove fluid if you force the brakes back to remove calipers and or change pads or it will overflow all over your garage. Those two under the seat are the ones with the sensors.
Does the 1999 LT have ONE or 2 brake fluid reservoirs under the seat? I recall seeing only One.

Thanks.
post #33 of 75 Old Nov 22nd, 2016, 8:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_forever View Post
Does the 1999 LT have ONE or 2 brake fluid reservoirs under the seat? I recall seeing only One.

Thanks.
The 99 has one larger round reservoir under the rear seat and just in case you or some others reading didn't know, you can view the level through a small opening in the side panel under the pannier door on the right side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0216.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	404.8 KB
ID:	119425  

Signature
Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

Last edited by bmwcoolk1200; Nov 22nd, 2016 at 8:50 pm.
post #34 of 75 Old Nov 22nd, 2016, 8:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_forever View Post
Just saw this.

This is NOT an LT you are riding in the video, is it ? It looks like an RT.

I have never been able to pick up this bike by myself when I dropped it. I have seen the videos but have not been able to pick it up alone.

I am 6ft tall and 155 Lbs. Have strong legs but still can't lift the monster.
Yes, it is an LT for sure. I don't seem to have any trouble just bending over and picking it up at 57. Also, having several of your riding buddies looking on after first, not being able to keep up and then dropping it and not being able to get it off the ground would have been too much of a sign of weakness and they had not had lunch yet. Had no trouble lifting it that day.

Signature
Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
post #35 of 75 Old Nov 25th, 2016, 8:47 am

You'll find that the aerodynamics will keep you dry in the rain above about 40 mph (maybe slower) except for your boots, if you have the little wings below the rear view mirrors folded out, and the windshield at the proper height.

A low battery shuts down the whole electrical system.

Never use the front brake at foot-paddle speeds with the front wheel turned -- it'll drop the bike in a heartbeat.

Get a metal funnel with a long, bendable spout -- you'll need it for the most inconvenient oil change on the planet.

Speaking of: You don't have to buy the kings-ransom BMW oil filter wrench. Auto parts stores have a cup wrench that fits the filter but you'll have to grind off the flange at the cup's open end to get it into position on an installed filter.

Enjoy. And pray the $3000 ABS pump doesn't go out -- no brakes at all if that happens.
post #36 of 75 Old Nov 25th, 2016, 10:20 am

Welcome from Northern Ohio. She is top heavy. But only at parking lot speeds. Get her above 10 mph. And she will surprise you on twisty roads . Those are Moto lights you have. I have a set and they are awesome. Wouldn't do without them. So get em working if you can. Probably the relay that comes with them. The ABS could be low on fluid. So check the reservoir. It's a bit time consuming working on some things on the LT. But it pays off in spades, it's that nice of a touring rig. You will grow fond of her. If you have a significant other. When it comes time to get on another bike . Or years from now get another touring bike. Good luck getting her off. It's probably the most comfortable passenger pillion there is. And her backrest is heated also in addition to the seat. Oh and when it comes to tires. The rear requires a 79v rated reinforced tire.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #37 of 75 Old Nov 29th, 2016, 2:09 am Thread Starter

Thanks for that welcome and additional information. I have my K12S apart for service and PC3 install. When I get that back together, the LT is next. Can't wait to get that Tupperware off and get those shock absorbers rebuilt, among other things.
post #38 of 75 Old Nov 29th, 2016, 12:29 pm

Quote:

How did you hook your cell phone up to the radio?

Patrick Russell
I live and ride in Illinois, which has some of the straightest roads in the country.

Notable motorcyle trips:

Sturgis (maybe)
Nova Scotia
Pacific Coast highway
post #39 of 75 Old Nov 29th, 2016, 2:37 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorm5 View Post
How did you hook your cell phone up to the radio?
I found an input wire to the radio that I plugged into my cell phone and, VOILA... I ccan snap a pic of it when I get home tonight, but its underneath the center console lid.
gorm5 likes this.
post #40 of 75 Old Nov 29th, 2016, 2:51 pm

Quote:
I found an input wire to the radio that I plugged into my cell phone and, VOILA... I ccan snap a pic of it when I get home tonight, but its underneath the center console lid.
Only thing on my 01 would be a cassette plug in with a plug on it for the headphone jack of a device. If it is something other than that, it might be an after market radio. Make sure you get a pic that includes the radio as well.
gorm5 likes this.

Signature
Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
post #41 of 75 Old Nov 29th, 2016, 3:05 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Only thing on my 01 would be a cassette plug in with a plug on it for the headphone jack of a device. If it is something other than that, it might be an after market radio. Make sure you get a pic that includes the radio as well.
I will. I think it is a cassette plug in but Ill snap a pic of the whole thing
post #42 of 75 Old Nov 29th, 2016, 4:15 pm

Ahhh. I forgot about the cassette adapter. Not an option on an 05. 8-(

Patrick Russell

Notable motorcyle trips:

Sturgis (maybe)
Nova Scotia
Pacific Coast highway
post #43 of 75 Old Nov 29th, 2016, 4:50 pm Thread Starter

In anticipation of completing my K1200S soon so I can start working on the Big BMW, I compilied a list of things to do or check from the input from you guys. Here is the list:

Fix aux lights
R and R shocks for rebuild
Throttle cables - check for wear and binding/replace with updated cables
oil change
check front brake for warpage
check coolant
check air filter
replace handlebar controls (mine have faded lettering so I located some that are not sun-faded)
replace brake lines with SS lines
fuel lines inside tank - inspect/replace
Quick disconnect fuel connector - replace with metal connector
fix wobbly right mirror - install tethers on both mirrors
post #44 of 75 Old Nov 29th, 2016, 6:12 pm

Quote:
In anticipation of completing my K1200S soon so I can start working on the Big BMW, I compilied a list of things to do or check from the input from you guys. Here is the list:

Fix aux lights
R and R shocks for rebuild
Throttle cables - check for wear and binding/replace with updated cables
oil change
check front brake for warpage
check coolant
check air filter
replace handlebar controls (mine have faded lettering so I located some that are not sun-faded)
replace brake lines with SS lines
fuel lines inside tank - inspect/replace
Quick disconnect fuel connector - replace with metal connector
fix wobbly right mirror - install tethers on both mirrors
Lube shift linkage and replace "felts" (last ones I bought weren't felt, but looked like high density foam rubber).

Consider the FIBIB addition to your trunk latch handle. At the very least, remove the latches and file and smooth the underside that contacts the pins to lessen stress. And, even with the FIBIB kit, I still press down on the lid when closing the handle. Mine lasted fine for nearly 9 years, but since I was down for the clutch job back in the spring, I decided to invest in the kit while still available.

Always lightly grease the mirror pins before you pop the mirrors back on.

2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise"
VOICE II
Navigator V
Motorrad Communicator
post #45 of 75 Old Nov 29th, 2016, 6:39 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Lube shift linkage and replace "felts" (last ones I bought weren't felt, but looked like high density foam rubber).

Consider the FIBIB addition to your trunk latch handle. At the very least, remove the latches and file and smooth the underside that contacts the pins to lessen stress. And, even with the FIBIB kit, I still press down on the lid when closing the handle. Mine lasted fine for nearly 9 years, but since I was down for the clutch job back in the spring, I decided to invest in the kit while still available.

Always lightly grease the mirror pins before you pop the mirrors back on.
What are "felts"?
post #46 of 75 Old Nov 29th, 2016, 9:12 pm Thread Starter

Pics of the radio with the input jack:

post #47 of 75 Old Nov 29th, 2016, 9:30 pm

Quote:
What are "felts"?
They help keep the grease in and dirt out of the shift linkage ball joints. If you pull up the fiche for the shift linkage, they will be obvious.

2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise"
VOICE II
Navigator V
Motorrad Communicator
post #48 of 75 Old Dec 1st, 2016, 5:12 pm Thread Starter

So did anyone figure out what radio I have and how it has an input for my phone/music player?
post #49 of 75 Old Dec 3rd, 2016, 1:08 pm

Good luck with the bike. Also bikes do not run properly until you drop them a couple of times. I've dropped mine three times in 8 years and she purrs like a kitten on steroids.

Scott
2007 LT
post #50 of 75 Old Dec 12th, 2016, 1:57 pm Thread Starter

Normally I prefer to work on maintenance on a new-to-me bike and then add goodies to it. I have done a few fixes to my LT in the last month such as topping off brake fluid, tightening antenna for good radio reception, and cleaning off the completely clouded radio display, among other things.

I contacted a guy who I bought a Navigator III from for my K1200S. I remembered he had a larger BMW but I did not remember the model. I asked him what bike he had and he said he had a later K1200LT (07 or 09. I forget). I asked him if he wanted to ride sometime since I got an LT and he said he was selling it along with a bunch of accessories and he moved out of state. So, we struck up a deal on the accessories. The bike and accessories are local still.

Ill be getting a Motorrad Navigator III with mount, rear floorboards, arm rests, bag liners, tank bag, soft top bag for rear rack, seat cushions and bike cover. Fortunately, the stuff is an hour from me, so Ill go get it probably later in the week. In the meantime, I can button up my stubborn K1200S.....
JNW003 likes this.

Last edited by DeusExMaxima; Dec 13th, 2016 at 1:53 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.