TIRE REVIEW: Shinko 777 H.D. rear / IRC RX-01 front - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 17Likes
  • 6 Post By That Guy
  • 1 Post By That Guy
  • 1 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By jzeiler
  • 1 Post By jorgensen
  • 1 Post By Voyager
  • 3 Post By That Guy
  • 1 Post By That Guy
  • 1 Post By That Guy
  • 1 Post By slinscome

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 12:42 pm Thread Starter

TIRE REVIEW: Shinko 777 H.D. rear / IRC RX-01 front

OK, so due to my last thread, it seems that no one has tried either of these tires so I thought I would do a quick review for those who are curious.

This is going to be a kind of on-going thing for me as i put more miles on the tires so check back. This is not going to be a comparison as the tires I removed were so worn that i would not be able to make any valid arguments for or against based off those. This is simply my thoughts on these tires.

Rear: Shinko 777 H.D.
Size: 160/70-17 Reinforced
MFG Date: January 2015
Ply: Bias Ply
Load Rating: 79 (although Shinko's website states 81 so perhaps its been upped or planning on raising it?)
Speed Rating: H (130 mph)
Air Pressure: 42psi per Shinko's reccomendations
Price: $105.00 from BikeBandit.com

Impressions: Admittedly I am kind of biased towards this tire as i run it on many other bikes, but the bias is founded in my experiences with this tire on the LT so far. The tire mounted very easy. I was able to muscle it on almost completely by hand, needing the spoons for only the last 1/3 of the second bead. The beads seated with about 25psi of pressure. Balancing was straight forward, requiring about 1 ounce of weight but it should be noted that I removed 1 ounce of old weights from the wheel before mounting so I chalk most of that up to the wheel itself being unbalanced more than the tire. The tire spun round with no visible run-out (to my surprise actually) of any sort. Mounting was not an issue as there was no rubbing or interference of any kind

I have about 200 miles on this tire now mixed about 50/50 solo and 2-up and my observations are that it is very smooth and compliant ride. Leans are very linear and predictable requiring little effort to sling it down low in a turn, and minimal effort to upright from the lean as well. Break-in was fast and I felt fully comfortable on the tire within about 15 miles or so. The tire was very stable at low and high speeds and no noticeable signs of tracking on rain grooves or slab seams in the concrete. Traction is not an issue from what I can tell as I have pushed it as far as I am comfortable doing on this fairly new-to-me bike and felt no sign of looseness, even on less than perfect roads. I can not speak to wet traction yet but there may be some rain coming in the next few days so I will update then.

So far, very very pleased with this tire. Only downside I see is that the tire is H rated for speed (130MPH), and not V rated like some of the other options out there, but this is not really a factor for me as this isnt a track bike and I have no plans of moving those kinds of speed on any public roads - not on this bike anyway.

Bottom Line: If this tire continues to perform like this and gets me some good mileage, I simply do not see myself using anything else, primarily because of the cost difference between this and the other major brands out there. I have always been a fan of Shinko tires since I "gave them a shot" a few years back and this tire absolutely reminds me as to why I am such a fan. For the money, so far, I'm not sure it could be beat. Longevity will ultimately determine that, however.

Front: IRC RX-01 Roadwinner
Size: 120/70-17
MFG Date: June 2014
Load Rating: 58
Air Pressure: 41psi per IRC's reccomendations
Price: $85.00 from BikeBandit.com

Impressions: OK, so I have never run an IRC tire before, but after doing some homework and checking out online reviews, I decided that I would give it a shot. Besides, the price was great and I have learned that price does not always dictate quality. That being said, I have some minor issues with this tire right off the bat - nothing that would disqualify it just yet, but enough that I would consider trying something else after this one wears out. First was the date on the tire. June 2014. I was shipped a year old tire. This tells me one major thing: these tires are just not moving off the shelves very well if they have year old stock. Not a big deal though. I will wear it down before it gets too old anyway. Second problem was mounting it. This one took some work to wrangle it onto the wheel (and foreseeably to remove it later i am guessing) and an almost uncomfortable amount of air pressure to get it to seat the beads: about 65-70psi. Not as bad as some. I have mounted Dunlop Q3 tires that have taken 125psi to seat. Ok, so I got the tire on there and seated. Spin the tire up and it only took a half ounce of weight to balance, that's not bad. What is though, is the 2mm of run-out it had. Side-to-side it was true, but definitely had the run-out in the middle. I even unmounted and remounted with the same results. For what its worth, I could not feel the run-out while riding.

I have about 35 miles of only solo on this tire now and it feels OK. Another issue I have, however, and this is not one of the tire, but more so for my picking this tire, is that it tracks in the rain grooves - strangely not on the slab seams though. This is likely due to the straight line center groove on the tire. If the bike is leaned ever so slightly in either direction, the tracking goes away. Now this is not major tracking, but it is there and noticeable. To be fair, I am going to remind you that there isnt a whole lot of miles on the tire yet so that may improve as the tire wears in. Braking was good and no traction issues as of yet. Cornering was smooth and predictable - if anything, it may have made the flickability of the bike a tad more lethargic than it was with just the new rear and that is fine. This isnt a supersport bike after all.

Bottom Line: All in all, I can't tell you this is the greatest tire I have run, or even the worst. Its not. Its a decent mid-range tire in terms of performance. The price point is attractive, but I think better can be had for a few bucks more. Either way I have it on there and I am gonna run it and give it a proper chance. It may change my mind later. That said, if it does not, I will likely try a different tire next time. Would I suggest this tire to someone that needed new tires? Sure if money was tight. Otherwise, I would have to say shop around and perhaps try something different. It may be a fine tire and simply not a great choice for this particular bike. your mileage may vary. Speaking of mileage, don't have the slightest clue as to what this tire should do so I am taking a shot in the dark when i say it feels fairly soft and probably wont last terribly long, which might be OK for me.

Stay tuned for updates and hopefully this will help others in making some (unconventional) tire choices either due to money or just finding other options. I like to try and explore every possibility I can - particularly those that others have not. Everyone has tried and knows how the Avons and B-Stonesand the other "Big" brands all perform. Hopefully this opens a few more doors for folks.

NOTE: I am not affiliated with Shinko, IRC or BikeBandit in any way, shape or form other than being a customer/consumer.

- Justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 2:35 pm

Garage
Re: TIRE REVIEW: Shinko 777 H.D. rear / IRC RX-01 front

Thanks for posting your findings. Always nice to have options.

For years I listened to my local dealer in WI that took the stance that BMW only recommends Metzler and if you run others, they will fail. Recently I started running Avon Storm 2 on the front and found wear to be MUCH better and no more sliding on tar snakes. Also bought another LT with a Bridgestone Battlax on the rear and found that cornering and wet riding is better. Wish I would have tried other brands of tires years ago.

1973 Yamaha 250 Enduro (crash and burn)
1982 Yamaha Virago 920 (sold)
Honda CB750 Custom (sold...good riddins!)
2003 K1200LT - Black (for sale)
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue Metallic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by rdepas; Apr 23rd, 2015 at 3:23 pm.
post #3 of 47 Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 2:45 pm

Nice post, nice report.

It has been a while since anyone has added to the tire options for the K1200LT. Excepting those who suggested tires not load rated or otherwise unsuitable for the LT.

If I recall correctly the options were Bridgestone, Avon, and Metzler.
Bridgestone used to have radials available, but now I believe they only offer bias ply in tires for the KLT.

I have the most experience with the "Stones" but have run a couple of sets of both Avons and Metzlers.

I've always thought that mounting tires for the KLT was a bit of a chore compared to others I have done. I never really thought to look at what pressure the beads seated but it was generally pretty high. Interesting that the Shinko rear tire mounted and seated with relative ease.

Quote: "Leans are very linear and predictable requiring little effort to sling it down low in a turn, and minimal effort to upright from the lean as well."
Yeah, the bike is like that. With all of the different tires I have run, the bike always initiated and exited leans with minimal effort, and was neutral in the turn requiring no effort to maintain the lean angle.

Thanks for taking the time to write a nice report; good contribution to the site.

Addendum: It has been a while since a Tire Summary for the K1200LT has been done. Here's an old thread which listed the brands/tires listed as proper fitment for the KLT. Tired of Tire Threads? or...
Post number 6 in that thread has the summary I put together back in 2008.
Maybe it is time to revisit that list and update it.

Last edited by CharlieVT; Apr 23rd, 2015 at 2:51 pm.

post #4 of 47 Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 5:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
OK, so due to my last thread, it seems that no one has tried either of these tires so I thought I would do a quick review for those who are curious.

This is going to be a kind of on-going thing for me as i put more miles on the tires so check back. This is not going to be a comparison as the tires I removed were so worn that i would not be able to make any valid arguments for or against based off those. This is simply my thoughts on these tires.

Rear: Shinko 777 H.D.
Size: 160/70-17 Reinforced
MFG Date: January 2015
Load Rating: 79 (although Shinko's website states 81 so perhaps its been upped or planning on raising it?)
Air Pressure: 42psi per Shinko's reccomendations
Price: $105.00 from BikeBandit.com

Impressions: Admittedly I am kind of biased towards this tire as i run it on many other bikes, but the bias is founded in my experiences with this tire on the LT so far. The tire mounted very easy. I was able to muscle it on almost completely by hand, needing the spoons for only the last 1/3 of the second bead. The beads seated with about 25psi of pressure. Balancing was straight forward, requiring about 1 ounce of weight but it should be noted that I removed 1 ounce of old weights from the wheel before mounting so I chalk most of that up to the wheel itself being unbalanced more than the tire. The tire spun round with no visible run-out (to my surprise actually) of any sort. Mounting was not an issue as there was no rubbing or interference of any kind

I have about 200 miles on this tire now mixed about 50/50 solo and 2-up and my observations are that it is very smooth and compliant ride. Leans are very linear and predictable requiring little effort to sling it down low in a turn, and minimal effort to upright from the lean as well. Break-in was fast and I felt fully comfortable on the tire within about 15 miles or so. The tire was very stable at low and high speeds and no noticeable signs of tracking on rain grooves or slab seams in the concrete. Traction is not an issue from what I can tell as I have pushed it as far as I am comfortable doing on this fairly new-to-me bike and felt no sign of looseness, even on less than perfect roads. I can not speak to wet traction yet but there may be some rain coming in the next few days so I will update then.

So far, very very pleased with this tire. Only downside I see is that the tire is H rated for speed (130MPH), and not V rated like some of the other options out there, but this is not really a factor for me as this isnt a track bike and I have no plans of moving those kinds of speed on any public roads - not on this bike anyway.

Bottom Line: If this tire continues to perform like this and gets me some good mileage, I simply do not see myself using anything else, primarily because of the cost difference between this and the other major brands out there. I have always been a fan of Shinko tires since I "gave them a shot" a few years back and this tire absolutely reminds me as to why I am such a fan. For the money, so far, I'm not sure it could be beat. Longevity will ultimately determine that, however.

Front: IRC RX-01 Roadwinner
Size: 120/70-17
MFG Date: June 2014
Load Rating: 58
Air Pressure: 41psi per IRC's reccomendations
Price: $85.00 from BikeBandit.com

Impressions: OK, so I have never run an IRC tire before, but after doing some homework and checking out online reviews, I decided that I would give it a shot. Besides, the price was great and I have learned that price does not always dictate quality. That being said, I have some minor issues with this tire right off the bat - nothing that would disqualify it just yet, but enough that I would consider trying something else after this one wears out. First was the date on the tire. June 2014. I was shipped a year old tire. This tells me one major thing: these tires are just not moving off the shelves very well if they have year old stock. Not a big deal though. I will wear it down before it gets too old anyway. Second problem was mounting it. This one took some work to wrangle it onto the wheel (and foreseeably to remove it later i am guessing) and an almost uncomfortable amount of air pressure to get it to seat the beads: about 65-70psi. Not as bad as some. I have mounted Dunlop Q3 tires that have taken 125psi to seat. Ok, so I got the tire on there and seated. Spin the tire up and it only took a half ounce of weight to balance, that's not bad. What is though, is the 2mm of run-out it had. Side-to-side it was true, but definitely had the run-out in the middle. I even unmounted and remounted with the same results. For what its worth, I could not feel the run-out while riding.

I have about 35 miles of only solo on this tire now and it feels OK. Another issue I have, however, and this is not one of the tire, but more so for my picking this tire, is that it tracks in the rain grooves - strangely not on the slab seams though. This is likely due to the straight line center groove on the tire. If the bike is leaned ever so slightly in either direction, the tracking goes away. Now this is not major tracking, but it is there and noticeable. To be fair, I am going to remind you that there isnt a whole lot of miles on the tire yet so that may improve as the tire wears in. Braking was good and no traction issues as of yet. Cornering was smooth and predictable - if anything, it may have made the flickability of the bike a tad more lethargic than it was with just the new rear and that is fine. This isnt a supersport bike after all.

Bottom Line: All in all, I can't tell you this is the greatest tire I have run, or even the worst. Its not. Its a decent mid-range tire in terms of performance. The price point is attractive, but I think better can be had for a few bucks more. Either way I have it on there and I am gonna run it and give it a proper chance. It may change my mind later. That said, if it does not, I will likely try a different tire next time. Would I suggest this tire to someone that needed new tires? Sure if money was tight. Otherwise, I would have to say shop around and perhaps try something different. It may be a fine tire and simply not a great choice for this particular bike. your mileage may vary. Speaking of mileage, don't have the slightest clue as to what this tire should do so I am taking a shot in the dark when i say it feels fairly soft and probably wont last terribly long, which might be OK for me.

Stay tuned for updates and hopefully this will help others in making some (unconventional) tire choices either due to money or just finding other options. I like to try and explore every possibility I can - particularly those that others have not. Everyone has tried and knows how the Avons and B-Stonesand the other "Big" brands all perform. Hopefully this opens a few more doors for folks.

NOTE: I am not affiliated with Shinko, IRC or BikeBandit in any way, shape or form other than being a customer/consumer.

- Justin
It will be curious to see how the tire wears and holds up. The speed rating would concern me a little as this is often a temperature resistance surrogate. The LT certainly doesn't have the speed capability to warrant a V rated tire, but the V rating means the tire generates less heat and tolerates heat better.

The low seating pressure suggests the tire is either slightly oversized or the beads stretch more under stress. Both mean a tire is more likely to leave the rim if it goes flat at speed.

These are the issues that concern my engineering mind and which are largely unknowable in a normal use evaluation.

Having additional tire choices would be very nice.

2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise"
VOICE II
Navigator V
Motorrad Communicator
post #5 of 47 Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 6:18 pm

Interested in hearing how the Shinko front wears...as well as the rear!

D.Kinsey
Santa Fe, Tx.
15 R1200RT
13 Ducati Panigale Tricolore
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

12 Ducati Diavel Carbon(SOLD)
08 K1200LT (born 12/19/07)(SOLD)

09 Triumph Sprint ST...RED(SOLD)
00 K1200LT Custom Painted(SOLD)
post #6 of 47 Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 10:02 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
It will be curious to see how the tire wears and holds up. The speed rating would concern me a little as this is often a temperature resistance surrogate. The LT certainly doesn't have the speed capability to warrant a V rated tire, but the V rating means the tire generates less heat and tolerates heat better.

The low seating pressure suggests the tire is either slightly oversized or the beads stretch more under stress. Both mean a tire is more likely to leave the rim if it goes flat at speed.

These are the issues that concern my engineering mind and which are largely unknowable in a normal use evaluation.

Having additional tire choices would be very nice.
Well supposedly the way it works is that the speed rating is determined with the max load on the tire so in theory I should have no problems. The shinko on my V65 took me, my wife and full luggage (well beyond the weight limit of the bike that I upped with HD springs) 1500 miles through twisties and high speed desert in July in Nevada and Cali with no problems and it wasnt even the H.D. version.

The low seating pressure is also chalk up to using the brake cleaner method to initially set the bulk of it (about 3/4) and only took little pressure to fully seat, but this hasnt been an issue as I have seen some tires seat at 15-20 lbs and some very high. Most i do are in the 20-40 psi range. In regards to letting go from the rim in the event of a flat - If i have a catastrophic failure at speed, the reality is that I likely have MUCH bigger problems to worry about at that point. I have been fortunate enough to have never lost a tire at speed, and hope I never have to.

I have the same "engineering mind" and these things keep me up at night, but I am learning that regardless of how much I think bad things will/can happen, the ratings given to these kinda of things are often MUCH lower than actual test results to determine the ratings, for liability reasons obviously.

- Justin
Dragonwing likes this.
post #7 of 47 Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 10:03 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Kinsey View Post
Interested in hearing how the Shinko front wears...as well as the rear!
No Shinko front. I have an IRC. I couldnt find a shinko front in the correct size.

- Justin
post #8 of 47 Old Apr 24th, 2015, 7:44 am

Quote:
Well supposedly the way it works is that the speed rating is determined with the max load on the tire so in theory I should have no problems. The shinko on my V65 took me, my wife and full luggage (well beyond the weight limit of the bike that I upped with HD springs) 1500 miles through twisties and high speed desert in July in Nevada and Cali with no problems and it wasnt even the H.D. version.

The low seating pressure is also chalk up to using the brake cleaner method to initially set the bulk of it (about 3/4) and only took little pressure to fully seat, but this hasnt been an issue as I have seen some tires seat at 15-20 lbs and some very high. Most i do are in the 20-40 psi range. In regards to letting go from the rim in the event of a flat - If i have a catastrophic failure at speed, the reality is that I likely have MUCH bigger problems to worry about at that point. I have been fortunate enough to have never lost a tire at speed, and hope I never have to.

I have the same "engineering mind" and these things keep me up at night, but I am learning that regardless of how much I think bad things will/can happen, the ratings given to these kinda of things are often MUCH lower than actual test results to determine the ratings, for liability reasons obviously.

- Justin
I've had only one, a K491 that went down on my 87 Voyager XII while riding two-up. The tire went down slowly and I barely noticed it until I made a turn and the rear slid sideways. It was a Sunday evening and nothing was open and I had no tire repair kit. Do, I rode it 14 miles home on a flat rear tire. The bike handled amazingly well.

I replaced the Dunlop with a Michelin Hi-Tour. Much easier to mount ad it had very flexible sidewalks compared to the K491 which was about as stuff as the ME880. The Michelin wore well, but I always figured a flat with it would be way too much excitement. I went back to the Dunlop after that.

Please keep us posted as adding tire options for the LT is a very good thing.

VOICE II
Navigator V
Motorrad Communicator
post #9 of 47 Old Apr 28th, 2015, 2:32 pm Thread Starter

MAJOR PROBLEM WITH THE SHINKO 777 / IRC RX-01.....

... My footpegs are getting shorter and shorter now every time I ride, and my boots are getting a little lighter each ride too.

Finally comfortable with the bike and the tires and gotta say, solo and 2-up, the bike rides GREAT. The big girl can certainly throw her weight around and I have developed a (bad?) habit of riding it like I ride my RC51 (with a little less getting off the seat though).

The front end shake has almost entirely gone away under full lean and hard acceleration. Still there just ever so slightly.

Tracking has lessened a touch too although I came to the conclusion that the bulk of what felt like tracking to me was actually wind and buffeting off the wake of other vehicles. It has been super windy recently until today and today there was almost no tracking at all, just on really deep rain grooves in the road.

Still will likely try a different front but happy with the rear for sure. In fact, Just ordered another set for my new project 83 magna so excited about that as well.

- Justin
post #10 of 47 Old Jun 9th, 2015, 6:33 am

Hi Justin,
How is the wet traction been and how good is this tire on tar snakes? I am currently evaluating the Avon 3d-xm rear and considering the Shinko for the trip to Montana in July. Also can you predict how many miles you will get out of the Shinko?

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson
President of

post #11 of 47 Old Jun 9th, 2015, 10:08 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14wntr View Post
Hi Justin,
How is the wet traction been and how good is this tire on tar snakes? I am currently evaluating the Avon 3d-xm rear and considering the Shinko for the trip to Montana in July. Also can you predict how many miles you will get out of the Shinko?
Well in terms of the shinko rear, wet seems to be OK, but admitedly I havent had much time on wet. Only once and there was a bit of sliding around but it had only just started raining and Vegas roads get REAL slick due to oils and lack of rain to wash them away. I suspect on less oily roads where there is more rain, it will perform better. The same tire on my Magna in colorado in HEAVY rain was spectacular grip. hell, when it rains here i usually have to put my truck in 4wd to get moving or I just sit there and spin tires.

Don't have tar snakes here in the desert. Everything is concrete and having tar snakes would mean that they actually fix the f*cked up roads here. They don't so cant really speak to that.

Overall I am happy with the Shinko rear. Will likely be the last and only tire I run on this bike. My front I am still not pleased about but I did drop the pressure in the front to 36psi per the owners manual and it is MUCH MUCH better than at higher pressure.

I have about 1200 miles on the Shinko now at 41psi and absolutely NO noticeable wear at all. Looks new still. I suspect I will be well into the 10K or better range assuming it wears like this the whole life of the tire. Usually they do not tho. Time will tell. BTW, of that 1200 or so, about 900 have been heavy 2-up with mixed but mostly highway. I do ride hard too and regularly drag pegs and even touch hard parts both 2-up and solo.

I would say if you want it for a trip, go for it. Cant beat the price for sure. I see no bad traits out of it so far. Clearance is fine, grip is outstanding, doesn't seem affected by rain grooved concrete. Again, keeping in mind it is not V rated, but H rated seems more than adequate for the purposes of the bike. Also does not seem to loose any air thus far - at least nothing notable. Maybe a lb total so far and a quick hit from the compressors sorts that so that is pretty good I feel.

I think I may switch my front tire to a pirelli sport demon. I have used those on other bikes with great results and its also speed an load rated for the bike - actually better with a 58W rating vs a 58V. Im just not happy with this IRC tire.

All this being said, the Shinko is a BIAS and the Avon is a Radial... both very different tires and shouldn't be mixed front to rear nor can you really compare them in any practical manner...

- Justin

Justin - Las Vegas, NV
"Never do anything that you wouldn't want to have to explain to the paramedics"

2002 Honda RC51
1999 BMW K1200LT
1983 Honda V45 Magna (soon to be Magna-Hack)
1984 Yamaha IT490 - mostly

Last edited by That Guy; Jun 9th, 2015 at 10:14 am.
post #12 of 47 Old Jun 10th, 2015, 12:58 pm

Thank you for your reply. I was not looking to mix them up bias/radial. I may start looking for a suitable bias ply front though.

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson
President of

post #13 of 47 Old Jun 14th, 2015, 10:05 am

Also a thanks for the review. The rear is close to the end and the bike is actually rideable now!

K1200LT gone, beater 1100RT on the way
post #14 of 47 Old Aug 15th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Put a Shinko 77 HD on the rear and a Michelin Pilot Activ on the front. Both went on well the Shinko used less weight than the Metzler it replaced. Very nice to get rid of the front uneven tread wear vibration when cornering. And even nicer to get rid of the feeling of "going over the edge" from the flattened middle to the less worn sides. First impression is all good. The pair was $216 Superstore/Amazon, with the front a buck more than the rear. But I wanted to stay with a bias front and choice is limited. The Pilot Activ has a center groove so hope it doesn't "track" too badly. The Shinko has a more rounded profile than the Metzler, will throw up some side by side pics later.

post #15 of 47 Old Aug 15th, 2015, 9:28 pm

first pic the worn cupped front Metzler
second pic the HF wheel balancer I've done 8 or 10 tires with it, so far so good.
third rears side by side
fourth new front and rear.

This is the third Pilot Activ I've used on motorcycles they seem to have a heavy stiff carcass compared to similar tires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150815_114343.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	717.3 KB
ID:	87322   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150815_093235.jpg
Views:	899
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	87330   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150815_092250.jpg
Views:	955
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	87338   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150815_084038.jpg
Views:	834
Size:	722.2 KB
ID:	87346  

post #16 of 47 Old Aug 16th, 2015, 1:59 am

That's hogwash.. I would run anything rather than a metzeler. I never liked them. Their awful in the rain. Funny thing is. On my Suzuki 1500 Intruder i run Pirelli route 66's Metzeler owns Pirelli.The Tread even looks similar to the ME 880. But the traction is way better.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.

Last edited by james216; Aug 16th, 2015 at 2:09 am.
post #17 of 47 Old Aug 16th, 2015, 4:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by james216 View Post
That's hogwash.. I would run anything rather than a metzeler. I never liked them. Their awful in the rain. Funny thing is. On my Suzuki 1500 Intruder i run Pirelli route 66's Metzeler owns Pirelli.The Tread even looks similar to the ME 880. But the traction is way better.
What is hogwash? It really helps if you quote the posting your reply pertains to so that this of us lacking ESP know what you are talking about.
Mark65 likes this.

VOICE II
Navigator V
Motorrad Communicator
post #18 of 47 Old Aug 17th, 2015, 12:28 pm

I would assume that james216 is referring to the comment about BMW dealers defaulting to Metzler tires only...

I am running currently a Shinko 777 on a V65 Magna. Overall a good tire, the wear seems very good, rain traction is pretty good. I don't like the round profile on the Magna, it might work better on the LT.

I do know that I wore out a Shinko 230 Tourmaster in 3k miles on the same Magna. Sticky tire, I seem to have a problem with my clutch...

I am currently running a set of Metzler bias ME880's on the LT. Seriously disappointing in the rain in Kentucky. We have slick roads.

If I continue to have trouble with the ME880's they will be replaced by radials - an Avon rear and a Metlzer front. If I decide to go back to bias I would definitely try the Shinko 777.

Lee B
post #19 of 47 Old Aug 17th, 2015, 1:15 pm

Thanks for the information. Its frustrating continually buying tires. For what its worth, I have BT020 rear and Metz front. First time, seems to be good 4000 miles in. May even go more that the average 6000... Thanks again

post #20 of 47 Old Aug 17th, 2015, 1:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgensen View Post
Thanks for the information. Its frustrating continually buying tires. For what its worth, I have BT020 rear and Metz front. First time, seems to be good 4000 miles in. May even go more that the average 6000... Thanks again
What pressures do you run? 6,000 miles is short life even for an LT. It depends on your road surface, riding style and other variables, but I can get 8,000 on a rear 880 pretty routinely and 16,000 on a front 880. I am currently running a BT020 rear that should also get 8,000 at least and maybe even a little more than the Metz. I believe it is key to use the 42/48 front/rear pressures that many of the veterans on the forum recommend.

If you are running the lower BMW recommended pressures, you will likely have a better ride quality, but at the cost of shorter tread life. It all depends on what you want to optimize.

VOICE II
Navigator V
Motorrad Communicator
post #21 of 47 Old Aug 17th, 2015, 5:08 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Bottom line the harder you accelerate the quicker your rear tire wears out. The harder you brake the faster your front tire wears out. Then there are twisties and all bets are off.
Mark65 likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 Ocean Blue Blue Wizard
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

CCR 06 Braselton CCR 07 Osage Beach CCR 08 Midway
CCR 09 Rapid City CCR 10 Killington, VT,CCR 11 Boise, CCR 12 Duluth
CCR 2013 Bend, CCR 2014 Backyard! CCR 2015 Couer d'Alene

post #22 of 47 Old Aug 17th, 2015, 5:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Bottom line the harder you accelerate the quicker your rear tire wears out. The harder you brake the faster your front tire wears out. Then there are twisties and all bets are off.
The only time I had enough twisties to wear out my tires evenly was in the Alps. I wore out a rear Michelin radial almost completely uniformly across the entire profile in 4,000 km.

Here in the states, that is nearly impossible without track days.

VOICE II
Navigator V
Motorrad Communicator
post #23 of 47 Old Aug 18th, 2015, 5:44 am

250 miles on the Shinko/Pilot Activ last night and all is good, Thought it was a bit wandery in the front at first but there was wind, on the ride home it was tracking like on rails including some "just wet" roads. tar strips were a non issue, No rain grooves to test "following" yet.

post #24 of 47 Old Aug 22nd, 2015, 11:52 am

It is great to have more options for tires on the LT, especially at such a good price point. I don't know if some are aware that Dunlop made a tire for the LT years ago, I had a set on my Y2KLT when I bought it. All was well and good until the rear tire started rubbing on the swing arm....my first thought was some problem with the drive train, but after research on the fabulous BMWLT forum, it seemed that the dunlop had a bad habit of deforming under load/speed, causing the sidewall to pooch out, which lead to rubbing on the swing arm. I was able to get more life out of the tire by adding another shim to the rear wheel, don't know if it had any effect on "alignment" or anything, was just the standard fix at the time..I only bring this up as a point of interest in observing and determining if the Shinko is indeed a valid "shoe for this steed" so to speak. I'll probably be replacing the set of Bridgestones I have on the bike next year, so I hope the Shinko report will have been refined by then, to broaden my choice of tire to choose from. Oh, my personal experience on the stones so far is, the rear is doing great, but it has a small leak, and I can't figure out where...but it does make me check my pressure all the time..the front is cupped badly...not sure why except it seems to be a common theme on all my fronts so far..dunlop, metz, stone...no front end wobble, tracks wonderfully, feels stable...???

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
post #25 of 47 Old Aug 22nd, 2015, 1:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualemt View Post
It is great to have more options for tires on the LT, especially at such a good price point. I don't know if some are aware that Dunlop made a tire for the LT years ago, I had a set on my Y2KLT when I bought it. All was well and good until the rear tire started rubbing on the swing arm....my first thought was some problem with the drive train, but after research on the fabulous BMWLT forum, it seemed that the dunlop had a bad habit of deforming under load/speed, causing the sidewall to pooch out, which lead to rubbing on the swing arm. I was able to get more life out of the tire by adding another shim to the rear wheel, don't know if it had any effect on "alignment" or anything, was just the standard fix at the time..I only bring this up as a point of interest in observing and determining if the Shinko is indeed a valid "shoe for this steed" so to speak. I'll probably be replacing the set of Bridgestones I have on the bike next year, so I hope the Shinko report will have been refined by then, to broaden my choice of tire to choose from. Oh, my personal experience on the stones so far is, the rear is doing great, but it has a small leak, and I can't figure out where...but it does make me check my pressure all the time..the front is cupped badly...not sure why except it seems to be a common theme on all my fronts so far..dunlop, metz, stone...no front end wobble, tracks wonderfully, feels stable...???
I have found that the little bits of rubber that stick to the bead of the rim can cause tiny slow leaks. Take a piece of Scotchbrite pad and polish all the rubber bits off of the bead on the inside of the rim and all should be well.

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R90/2 (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #26 of 47 Old Aug 22nd, 2015, 1:28 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter-50 View Post
I have found that the little bits of rubber that stick to the bead of the rim can cause tiny slow leaks. Take a piece of Scotchbrite pad and polish all the rubber bits off of the bead on the inside of the rim and all should be well.

Robert
I use mineral spirits to remove all of the rubber build up on the inside of the rim on every tire change I do.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #27 of 47 Old Aug 22nd, 2015, 3:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
I use mineral spirits to remove all of the rubber build up on the inside of the rim on every tire change I do.
Dave, I'll try that with my next tire change. Should i wipe down with brake cleaner when I am done?

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R90/2 (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #28 of 47 Old Aug 22nd, 2015, 4:30 pm

I take all my car /truck tire work to the one local shop that ALWAYS wire wheels the bead area on the rim.
And yeah at home some sort of solvent to clean the beads and I keep a gallon jug of Ru-Glyde tire rim lubricant, $13 next to my well worn Coats 200 I didn't hurt the rim but fought that, not in the drop area, battle on my Connie. The good news was after noticing I had mounted the tire backwards, it went off and on easy the second time.

post #29 of 47 Old Aug 22nd, 2015, 10:06 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Dave, I'll try that with my next tire change. Should i wipe down with brake cleaner when I am done?

Robert
I use car wash soap or S100 cleaner depending on how dirty the rim is.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #30 of 47 Old Aug 23rd, 2015, 12:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
What pressures do you run? 6,000 miles is short life even for an LT. It depends on your road surface, riding style and other variables, but I can get 8,000 on a rear 880 pretty routinely and 16,000 on a front 880. I am currently running a BT020 rear that should also get 8,000 at least and maybe even a little more than the Metz. I believe it is key to use the 42/48 front/rear pressures that many of the veterans on the forum recommend.

If you are running the lower BMW recommended pressures, you will likely have a better ride quality, but at the cost of shorter tread life. It all depends on what you want to optimize.
After education here, 48/42, checked faithfully. Close monitoring seems to keep the road growl down until the tire is nearly shot. I ride the LT almost always 2 up, traveling, fairly aggressively. The ride seems just as good as at lower pressures, with more miles. I use two rears for every front.
Voyager likes this.

post #31 of 47 Old Aug 23rd, 2015, 7:32 am

Quote:

Robert

Scotchbrite and Dawn will safely clean many things. Just don't use steel wool or a wire brush on alloy wheels. Save those for the steel wheels on your 60s pickup.

VOICE II
Navigator V
Motorrad Communicator
post #32 of 47 Old Aug 23rd, 2015, 7:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gggGary View Post
I take all my car /truck tire work to the one local shop that ALWAYS wire wheels the bead area on the rim.
And yeah at home some sort of solvent to clean the beads and I keep a gallon jug of Ru-Glyde tire rim lubricant, $13 next to my well worn Coats 200 I didn't hurt the rim but fought that, not in the drop area, battle on my Connie. The good news was after noticing I had mounted the tire backwards, it went off and on easy the second time.
Hopefully, they only do this to your steel wheels and not your alloy wheels.

VOICE II
Navigator V
Motorrad Communicator
post #33 of 47 Old Aug 23rd, 2015, 12:23 pm

I use a copper scrubber pad (for dishes) and Windex to clean my rims. Scotchbrite doesn't seem to peel off the heavy spots like the copper does.

Wire wheels can scar the bead area pretty good if you're not careful.

I mount my own tires because the local shops don't clean the rims.

I also use No-Mar lube on the rims. Usually prevents leaks for a season or more. I also smear a little No-Mar on the valve core seat.

Lee B
post #34 of 47 Old Aug 23rd, 2015, 12:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeBee View Post
I use a copper scrubber pad (for dishes) and Windex to clean my rims. Scotchbrite doesn't seem to peel off the heavy spots like the copper does.

Wire wheels can scar the bead area pretty good if you're not careful.

I mount my own tires because the local shops don't clean the rims.

I also use No-Mar lube on the rims. Usually prevents leaks for a season or more. I also smear a little No-Mar on the valve core seat.

Lee B
The problem is galvanic corrosion. If you check a corrosion potential chart you will see that aluminum is a bad combination with almost all metals other than brass. Steel or copper will leave behind traces of metal that can corrode the bead before the next tire change.

Better to use something like Scotchbrite and elbow grease. I recently cleaned up my Grumman canoe that spent 15 years stored outside. I asked the makers of the canoe for recommendations. They said no chemicals, just a blue (mild) Scotchbrite and dish detergent. Took some work, but looks great and nothing left behind to cause more corrosion.
58caddy likes this.

VOICE II
Navigator V
Motorrad Communicator
post #35 of 47 Old Aug 26th, 2015, 11:21 am Thread Starter

Just wanted to drop in with a follow up on the tire review.

Just completed a 3000 miles trip over 8 days in the Northern Cali hills and PCH down from central Oregon to San Francisco.

I have just south of 6000 total miles on these tires now.

With myself, wife, gear, clothes and all the other unneeded crap we brought with, we were a little under 500lbs (eek, thats 100lbs over max payload).

The bike handled great in all conditions I subjected it to. Tire pressures were 39 front and 41 rear. Traction was NEVER and issue on all road surfaces from 110 degree slab at 80+ mph for hundreds of miles at a time to slower but aggressive twisties, tar snakes, dry and damp conditions. Never any wet on this trip but certainly damp. Was able to scrape pegs and even knicked hard parts on occasion and never felt that the tire was going to let go.

I could feel a little bump on some of the tar snakes but nothing that was alarming. The bike never tried to step out on me even hitting them with pegs dragging. Only encountered them for about 40 miles of the trip tho so I wont count that for much since I just don't have the experience with tar snakes here in vegas.

checked pressures every morning and never lost a bit of air over the whole trip, 39/41 when I left, 39/41 the morning after I got back using the same gauge.

The front held up well with just a little bit of cupping. Nothing to be concerned of in my opinion and not significant by any means. Cant really see it but you can feel it with your fingers. No notice of it while riding.

The rear held up WAY better than I had thought. I am down about 1/3 total tread on the rear. Only a very slight hint of a flat center profile... and by flat I mean not as round as it was new. Its not even really flat yet. No cupping at all on the rear.

At this rate i would expect to see 12-14K out of the rear if the wear remains consistent. The front looks like it will be done before the rear. I would be surprised to see 10K out of it - both from wear and from cupping but given the max pressure on the tire is 41psi, Im not gonna push the limits on that.

overall I am VERY pleased with the tires thus far. The tracking issues have basically gone away (presumably with wear and also the removal of my bad damper.) I think I will order another 777 to keep on hand for the rear. May try something different on the front but we will see.

given this is my first experience on this bike, take these numbers as you will compared to your own experiences as i have no comparison.

- Justin
jorgensen, LeeBee and gggGary like this.

Justin - Las Vegas, NV

2002 Honda RC51
1999 BMW K1200LT
post #36 of 47 Old Aug 26th, 2015, 11:31 am Thread Starter

Also, It should be noted that before the trip, I removed all wheel weights and ran Ride-On tire sealant in both tires. Only downside I saw to that was on cold mornings, for the first few miles, I could feel a slight vibration that smoothed out after a few miles. I assume this is the Ride-On pooling on one side and being cold, not flowing out fast.

Once the tires were warm, smooth as glass.

I could certainly feel the added weight to the tires compared to not having it in the tires but wasnt much of an issue at all.

Also, attached is some bike porn for you all!

- Justin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1367.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	288.9 KB
ID:	88074   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1408.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	88082   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1434.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	88090   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1473.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	88106   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1388.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	88114  

gggGary likes this.

Justin - Las Vegas, NV

2002 Honda RC51
1999 BMW K1200LT
post #37 of 47 Old Aug 26th, 2015, 2:28 pm

Garage

Quote:
That first pic looks like Hwy. 9/236 heading into Big Basin
post #38 of 47 Old Aug 26th, 2015, 9:37 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vicar View Post
That first pic looks like Hwy. 9/236 heading into Big Basin
Its actually Skaggs Springs road between Sonoma and Stewarts Point.

Justin - Las Vegas, NV

2002 Honda RC51
1999 BMW K1200LT
post #39 of 47 Old Oct 13th, 2015, 5:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gggGary View Post
250 miles on the Shinko/Pilot Activ last night and all is good, Thought it was a bit wandery in the front at first but there was wind, on the ride home it was tracking like on rails including some "just wet" roads. tar strips were a non issue, No rain grooves to test "following" yet.
Over 3K on the combo now, just got back to Wisconsin, went to south Georgia, the Barber vintage festival, and back. I am quite pleased with both front and rear. 2 days of damp to wet including an hour or so of twisties in the rain with no issues at all till the connie rider I was with bailed out, and we changed to a less twisty state road in western Tennessee. Last two days were on the slab at 75 with strong gusty side winds, no problem.

PS the Barber Vintage Festival and racing was well worth going to.
Lots of boxers racing.

post #40 of 47 Old Jul 25th, 2016, 8:28 am Thread Starter

UPDATE: Shinko 777 Rear Tire

Ok so I finally replaced the Shinko 777 Rear tire. Took it off with 9600 miles on the tire and replaced with another Shinko 777. The tire still had, I would estimate, about 2-3k miles left on it. Only reason I replaced with was a trip that I just got back from that was a little under 4000 miles and I wasnt sure the tire would last the trip.

There was some squaring off of the tread of the tire but that was to be expected. I will post some pics of the tire in a bit tho. Otherwise no drama at all with that rear tire and the new 777 that I put on had no drama either on this trip that included everything I could throw at the tire from hot fast highway to peg scraping corners to rain soaked twisties and no problems.

UPDATE: IRC Front Tire
I am about to replace the IRC Road Winner front tire which now has around 14000K miles on it. I am not sure I would recommend this tire for this bike. I have seen it used on other smaller bikes without issue but in my case anyway, this wasnt a good match to the bike. Initially I was chasing air pressures around until I found something that felt good... which meant that it was low on pressure for the bike. With the center rain groove in the tread it like to track really badly when properly inflated so the only way initially to resolve that is run a few PSI low. That meant cupping. lots of cupping. It did last some time but in hindsight, I wish I would have replaced it before this last trip as the cupping and wear was so bad that I was being really conservative on the front tire in fear of failure or loss of traction. FWIW, I had neither of those problems and realize that I was stuck inside my own head on that it is what it is.

Not sure what I am going to replace it with this time around, but its worn to the point where the bike is basically parked until I replace the tire.

Hope this helps some folks and gives more rear tire options. I love the 777 rear and the price makes it a fantastic deal.

Also, I am currently running my rear at 41lbs so a bit higher than the last to see if it nets a few more miles for me. so far I like the feel of it at 41 lbs.

- J
johnbaker15 likes this.

Justin - Las Vegas, NV

2002 Honda RC51
1999 BMW K1200LT
post #41 of 47 Old Nov 15th, 2016, 8:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgensen View Post
After education here, 48/42, checked faithfully. Close monitoring seems to keep the road growl down until the tire is nearly shot. I ride the LT almost always 2 up, traveling, fairly aggressively. The ride seems just as good as at lower pressures, with more miles. I use two rears for every front.
What? I was told 36/42 solo and 36/46 two-up or fully loaded. What is the recommended tire pressure?

P.S. I just wish that Shinko had a matching pair front tire for the 777 H.D. I hate mixing brands and models.

MarkF
2005 Ducati ST3
post #42 of 47 Old Nov 16th, 2016, 7:26 pm
cws

Garage

Quote:
UPDATE: IRC Front Tire
I am about to replace the IRC Road Winner front tire which now has around 14000K miles on it. I am not sure I would recommend this tire for this bike. I have seen it used on other smaller bikes without issue but in my case anyway, this wasnt a good match to the bike. Initially I was chasing air pressures around until I found something that felt good... which meant that it was low on pressure for the bike. With the center rain groove in the tread it like to track really badly when properly inflated so the only way initially to resolve that is run a few PSI low. That meant cupping. lots of cupping. It did last some time but in hindsight, I wish I would have replaced it before this last trip as the cupping and wear was so bad that I was being really conservative on the front tire in fear of failure or loss of traction. FWIW, I had neither of those problems and realize that I was stuck inside my own head on that it is what it is.

Not sure what I am going to replace it with this time around, but its worn to the point where the bike is basically parked until I replace the tire.
- J
Bit late to the party, but I've fitted a Michellin PR4GT to the front ('05 LT) and it feels very good... dual bias/radial ply so could possibly work well on any year. Just a thought

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #43 of 47 Old Jan 9th, 2017, 12:33 am

Quote:
Also, It should be noted that before the trip, I removed all wheel weights and ran Ride-On tire sealant in both tires. Only downside I saw to that was on cold mornings, for the first few miles, I could feel a slight vibration that smoothed out after a few miles. I assume this is the Ride-On pooling on one side and being cold, not flowing out fast.

Once the tires were warm, smooth as glass.

I could certainly feel the added weight to the tires compared to not having it in the tires but wasnt much of an issue at all.

- Justin
Hey Justin,

What is that Metal bar extending to the rear of the bike? Is that for towing a trailer? What is it attached to?

Thanks.
post #44 of 47 Old May 7th, 2017, 1:48 pm

I just had the Shinko installed on Stella yesterday, based on this, and Kirk's review on Illinois BMW Motorrad Club. I only got about 5000 miles out of the Metzeler, but I attribute that to 3 things:

1) I ride almost exclusively 2 up.

2) I ride mostly in the twisties (wear bars showing on the outside, plenty of tread in the middle)

3) The tires fitted to my bike were NOS. Nearly four years old, IIRC. The treadwear was a concern, but not so bad that a tire change was mandatory, I thought. I immediately changed my mind when I found a couple of little bubbles in the middle of the tire immediately after a 300 mile day. They went away when the tire cooled, but no way in hell was I trusting those tires anymore.

I only rode her home, about 20 miles, but Holy Moly. Its a different bike. I had been under the impression that squirmy and wiggly were normal. No more. Granted, I've only been on a few miles of city streets and a few miles more of interstate, but the difference in feel is remarkable. Took the wife on a little ride around the block, and she felt the difference in the very first turn.

I'm riding AZ 191 in June, can't wait to get on that road!

I obviously need to put some real miles on the tire to form a real opinion, but I'm awfully happy so far, especially given the price.

My 2 cents.

Mark

Mark(Big Poppa) and Julie(Fireball)
'06 K1200LT Magnesium Black "Stella"
Glendale, AZ
BMWMOA#206887
post #45 of 47 Old May 10th, 2017, 2:08 am

Thumbs up from me for Shinkos on my '06. The rear is a 777 too, but my front is the 005 model. I've had my LT for about year and half. Last year I road about 15k. So, I ride with the Shinkos rain, shine, concrete, twisties, daily commute(24 miles). No problems except not keeping proper air pressure up front(bad valve) leading to cupping. I even did one round with the beads. This round I'm testing without and have found no difference. I'm sold on Shinkos!
Mark65 likes this.
post #46 of 47 Old May 18th, 2017, 1:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinscome View Post
Thumbs up from me for Shinkos on my '06. The rear is a 777 too, but my front is the 005 model. I've had my LT for about year and half. Last year I road about 15k. So, I ride with the Shinkos rain, shine, concrete, twisties, daily commute(24 miles). No problems except not keeping proper air pressure up front(bad valve) leading to cupping. I even did one round with the beads. This round I'm testing without and have found no difference. I'm sold on Shinkos!
Slinscome... you said the 005, you are talking about the Shinko 005 advance... correct? And on your 06 K1200LT ?

Mike
post #47 of 47 Old May 18th, 2017, 1:40 am

All,

Thank you for the input you put in here it has given me some direction for picking tires.

Also Justin... Thank you for the review and over length of time review, great Job.

Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.