Placing Girl on Center Stand Video? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 88 Old Jun 10th, 2014, 8:16 am Thread Starter

Placing Girl on Center Stand Video?

I've had my 00 for two months and love it. The most difficult learning curve for me is placing her on the center stand. I feel I'm about to drop her when I stand her upright before attempting to put my weight into the stand. I'm successful 20% of the time in putting her on the stand. I haven't dropped her, yet. I've read the threads on the techniques to raise her, but I can't find a video. Does anyone have a link or suggestion on where a center stand video may reside? I've tried the forum search and You Tube.

Thanks,

Rob
Navarre, FL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 88 Old Jun 10th, 2014, 10:05 am
Old Slow Guy on a Fast Bike.

Re: Placing Girl on Center Stand Video?

The main thing is to have both feet of the center stand firmly on the ground. Step on the center stand foot pad lowering the center stand to the ground. Slowly push the bike away from you till you feel both feet on the ground. With left hand on left handle bar grip & right hand on hand hold under the seat pull up & back with right hand as you push down with right foot. It will come up very easy once you get the hand of it.
Mr BMVOO likes this.

Stevie Shreeve
2012 K1600GTL
2015 KLR650
post #3 of 88 Old Jun 10th, 2014, 10:38 am

Thanks to Ron Miller for posting an ergonomic detail of putting the LT on the CS a number of years ago, I was able to do it with less effort. Press down on the CS lever with the left foot, facing the rear of the bike. If you step with the right foot, your body is twisted as the LT comes up. Not good for the back.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909

post #4 of 88 Old Jun 10th, 2014, 6:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun Bobby View Post
I've had my 00 for two months and love it. The most difficult learning curve for me is placing her on the center stand. I feel I'm about to drop her when I stand her upright before attempting to put my weight into the stand. I'm successful 20% of the time in putting her on the stand. I haven't dropped her, yet. I've read the threads on the techniques to raise her, but I can't find a video. Does anyone have a link or suggestion on where a center stand video may reside? I've tried the forum search and You Tube.

Thanks,

Rob
Navarre, FL
Silly question # 376.

What shocks and springs do you have?

If the stock springs have sagged out it is much more difficult to put the bike on the center stand. Replace with Hyperpro springs or complete shock/spring setups depending upon the thickness of your wallet.

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R90/2 (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 88 Old Jun 11th, 2014, 8:45 am Thread Starter

Robert, I'm not sure why my question falls into your "silly question" category. It is a legitimate question to me as I'm struggling with placing the LT on the CS. A demonstration video can only help. I have not received a reply pointing me towards a video, so I assume one does not exist.

In the meantime, I'll take your suggestion and research the age of the shocks and spring. Although I'm convinced operator error is the issue. However, if someone on the list lives an afternoon's drive from Pensacola, I'll be happy to ride over for a demonstration.

Rob
Navarre, FL
post #6 of 88 Old Jun 11th, 2014, 9:12 am

Quote:
Robert, I'm not sure why my question falls into your "silly question" category. It is a legitimate question to me as I'm struggling with placing the LT on the CS. A demonstration video can only help. I have not received a reply pointing me towards a video, so I assume one does not exist.

In the meantime, I'll take your suggestion and research the age of the shocks and spring. Although I'm convinced operator error is the issue. However, if someone on the list lives an afternoon's drive from Pensacola, I'll be happy to ride over for a demonstration.

Rob
Navarre, FL
He did not say YOUR question was silly, but his question regarding the shocks, which was a VERY valid one.

Not being able to get the bike on the center stand IS normally an operator "error", since when you do discover the method you will wonder what all the fuss was about and realize you were doing it wrong at first. Most of us had problems at first, but soon discovered it was not hard at all, but does involve a bit of a learning curve. Once I figured it out (took a few days) I never gave it thought again. I rarely used the side stand.

It gets a little harder as the tires wear out, and especially as the shocks loose nitrogen pre charge pressure, springs weaken, or the pre-load oil level drops so you cannot set the pre load high enough.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #7 of 88 Old Jun 11th, 2014, 11:55 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee510 View Post
Thanks to Ron Miller for posting an ergonomic detail of putting the LT on the CS a number of years ago, I was able to do it with less effort. Press down on the CS lever with the left foot, facing the rear of the bike. If you step with the right foot, your body is twisted as the LT comes up. Not good for the back.
+1.

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 4)
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Convertable

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #8 of 88 Old Jun 11th, 2014, 12:27 pm

Quote:

Rob
Navarre, FL
You misunderstand. It is my question that is referred to as silly. Not yours.

Robert
Notahog likes this.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R90/2 (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX

post #9 of 88 Old Jun 11th, 2014, 12:29 pm

You also might try cranking the preload adjuster all the way to see if that makes it easier while you are learning.

Robert

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R90/2 (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX

post #10 of 88 Old Jun 11th, 2014, 1:17 pm

Garage

Here is the link to that thread. It's a good read whether you use this technique or not.

http://www.bmwlt.com/ubbthreads/show...apsed&sb=5&o=7

Quote:
Notahog likes this.

Doug B.
2000 LT purchased July 2013
post #11 of 88 Old Jun 11th, 2014, 4:10 pm

I cut myself a little piece of 1/2" plywood 3"wide,6" long .I carry it in the trunk. And for the times I do have trouble. I run the rear tire up on it. And she goes right up on the center stand.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #12 of 88 Old Jun 11th, 2014, 5:36 pm

I will try to incorporate it into a video in the future along with some other tips and tricks.
Kirk

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson
President of

post #13 of 88 Old Jun 11th, 2014, 8:21 pm

Quote:
Interesting. I read the old thread with the Ron Miller technique, and I don't see how it is ergonomic. If I understand it, you are facing the rear of the bike with your left hip near or against the bike. You are reaching behind you with your left hand to hold the left hand grip. And your right hand is across your body holding the side bag handle. This seems a very contorted position to me and you are pulling up with your right hand crossing your body as you push down with your left foot which puts a cross-wise force through your body from your right shoulder down to your left foot. I am amazed an ergonomic professional would suggest this (I work in a Fortune 500 company and we have several).

The method I used with my Kawasaki Voyager is, I think, easier and more ergonomic. With my LT, I now just push the button, which is the most ergonomic method of all!

With Luddite bike's lacking a power center stand, here is how I do it.

I put down the side stand and get off the bike. I stand beside it facing forward with my left hand on the left hand grip and my right hand at my side and slightly behind me holding the passenger handle. I then place my right foot on the center stand and push it down until the left side touches the ground. I then in one smooth continuous motion, tilt the bike to the right off of the side stand keeping downward foot pressure on the center stand and when I feel the right side of the center stand contact the ground, I know the bike is upright and I then simultaneously push down with my right foot and pull up with my right hand. My body is not twisted and neither hand is across my body. My left arm is nearly straight forward since on most bikes the left grip extends beyond the side of the bike and my right arm is nearly straight down and only slightly rearward. And the force couple is nearly vertical from my right shoulder down to my right foot so there is no force moving cross-wise through my body and back. This entire process takes about a second from the time I tilt off the side stand until the bike pops onto the center stand. Far easier to do than to describe!

I've had a bad back since I was 17 and never had any back trouble using this technique to raise a heavy bike onto the center stand. My Voyager was relatively easy due to Kawasaki's very clever two-stage center stand. I rented a K1600 GTL last summer and it was harder to lift than the Kawi, but still not a problem with the technique I describe above.

And my parting question is: Ron, have you finished eating your LT yet?

2007 K1200LT, VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator, K7MSW
post #14 of 88 Old Jun 11th, 2014, 10:00 pm Thread Starter

Robert, I did misunderstand your response. A twelve hour shift, a handful of hours of sleep, and no coffee had me on the defensive. My apologies. Another great suggestion with the preload adjustment.

Doug, I attempted the rearward facing CS suggestion and didn't feel comfortable with it. Thankfully I don't have back problems, but I might if I don't figure out the CS technique soon.

Kirk, the addition of a CS video to your trove of club videos would be greatly appreciated by all noob non-electric CS LT owners.

I have had more success raising her using the passenger handle, but I'm concerned it is not stressed for the job and the side case mounts would eventually fail.

Perhaps I'm overthinking it, but I believe my CS issue boils down to not having the right CS pad firmly planted before I attempt the raise. And the reason it's not planted is that I feel I'm about to drop her if I lean her a bit more over. She is a top heavy beast.

Thanks for the suggestions, but a shamed visit to my dealer may be on the horizon.

Rob
Navarre, FL
kend52 likes this.
post #15 of 88 Old Jun 11th, 2014, 10:40 pm

Quote:
...Perhaps I'm overthinking it, but I believe my CS issue boils down to not having the right CS pad firmly planted before I attempt the raise...
I'm inclined to agree with you, just push your foot down on the center stand until it contacts the ground while still on the side stand, then slowly and gently push it upright until you can feel the other pad hit the ground, it's a pretty apparent sensation through your foot if you have a bit of down pressure on the CS while standing the bike vertical. Once you feel it you can then easily put it up with the methods described above.

-Steve

2000 BMW K1200LT
2000 BMW R1200C
post #16 of 88 Old Jun 11th, 2014, 11:49 pm
cws

Garage

Can I suggest have someone (wife, GF, anyone...) stand on the opposite side and gently hold the right handlebar while you practice moving the weight of the bike to the right till you feel the 2 feet of the stand sit firmly on the ground, and then go slightly past that postion with them supporting most of the weight until you feel it start to get away from you... then pull it back.
I think you'll find if you take your time with it it'll only be a few inches over at most and you'll still be able to pull back till its on both feet again.
Just having someone there to start to take the weight can bring a lot of confidence.
You'll get there....

BTW, I have the electric CS on my LT, but NOT on the GT, have to use manual mode.... but I do have a spare sitting in the garage.... hmmmmm

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #17 of 88 Old Jun 12th, 2014, 12:15 am

I do it all the time with one finger!

I just press the button "bzzzzzt" and done!

Capt.Jim
'16 R1200GS Adventure

LIST OF EX-GIRLFRIENDS:
'14 R1200RT Joined the ranks of exGFs on 3/11/16
'12 K1600GTL
'06 R1200GS
'03 R1150RT-P
'07 K1200LT
'05 R1150RT-P
'99 HONDA Valkyrie
'06 R1150RT-P
'05 K1200LT
'05 HONDA Goldwing GL1800
'99 HONDA Valkyrie Interstate
'98 HONDA SHADOW
'98 YAMAHA Super Tenere
'93 HONDA CBR 1000F
'91 HONDA Transalp
'88 JAWA 500
post #18 of 88 Old Jun 12th, 2014, 12:27 am

well when the bzzzt don't work we wont laugh! lol
post #19 of 88 Old Jun 12th, 2014, 5:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1955 View Post
well when the bzzzt don't work we wont laugh! lol
Oh, but you will!

post #20 of 88 Old Jun 12th, 2014, 12:45 pm

Garage

I was really hankering for a video myself. I'm a powerlifter/strongman in training and was totally unable to get it on the center stand and just couldn't figure out what was up and was convinced with a video I'd see some magic thing I was missing.

Then after never finding a video I read enough that I took away "get it level enough where both feet of the centerstand are touching the ground at the same time then while holding the handle of the bag [rather than the handle under the seat] with right hand, put all your weight downward on the stand using your left foot while kinda facing towards the rear of the bike."

It is now nothing for me to get it on the center stand (and this is with the preload adjuster needing a top-off.) No matter how much I tried to "strong" it up there it just didn't work, it really is a case of technique and strength doesn't have anything to do with it. I was worried about holding the bag's grab handle initially, but it is more for balance of me rather than putting any pressure/weight onto it. It does wobble a little as it finishes the final few inches and scares me some still, but it hasn't fallen going on the stand yet!

Maybe I'll teach my wife to do it and take a video of her just to prove that. But, my to-do list is so long I'd not recommend waiting for it (and I used the weasel-word "maybe" also )

2002 K1200LTC
DMC hitch and Lumina XL trailer
Highway 162 Bucks Lake Road Native

Last edited by OrovilleTim; Jun 12th, 2014 at 12:51 pm.
post #21 of 88 Old Jun 12th, 2014, 6:25 pm

I, too have a background in powerlifting and strongman and am a newbie of 3 months. I attempted to put my LT on the CS on 3 occasions without success. I had torn off my right biceps tendon and had it reattached a few years ago, so I was a bit scared to pull as hard as I thought was necessary. However, I came to realize I didn't have the bike upright enough. When I put both pads on the floor and put my weight on the stand and pulled on the passenger handle it just jumped right up into place. Some strength is helpful, but it was more about technique for me.
post #22 of 88 Old Jun 12th, 2014, 8:07 pm

I always put my RIGHT foot on the stand lever, and pushed fairly hard on it while leaning the bike to the right, then it is very noticeable when both of the stand feet are on the ground. In fact, you can take your hands off the bike entirely and hold the bike upright with just pressure on the stand. With your left foot being more toward the front of the bike, and pulling up on the handle and pulling back on the handle bar with the left hand, it is easy to put a little additional rearward pressure on the saddle bag with your right knee, pushing off your left foot, and the bike will pop up on the stand very easily.

It does take some experimenting until you find just what works for you, but in the end you will find it becoming second nature and no longer think about.

The suggestion of having someone stand on the right side to "spot" you and take the worry out of letting it go too far is a very good one. Without that worry, you can quickly learn to get both feet of the stand down and stable, the hardest part to learn.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #23 of 88 Old Jun 12th, 2014, 8:16 pm

I have much better success getting the LT up on the CS when I wear my cycling boots - or any hard soled shoe - than when wearing tennis shoes. Can't say I've seen anyone else on this board mention that but it just flat works for me.
Notahog likes this.

-Richard S.
2000 K1200LT Champagne
2004 R1150RT Silver
post #24 of 88 Old Jun 13th, 2014, 1:16 am

Plywood under the rear tire sounds good. Why not plywood taped under your tennis shoe. I usually lift the seat up and have a friend help pull up. Comes up on the second try. Injuring yourself lifting the beast is not worth it. It's more fun to ride it. I will try and practice your techniques.

2000 Lt
800 Kawasaki
25 yrs. without
750 Suzuki
550 Suzuki
160 Honda

The ride is fresh under diamond skies, makes me glad to be alive.
post #25 of 88 Old Jun 13th, 2014, 10:26 pm

IMHO it is more about pushing down with your foot than about trying to pick the bike up with your right hand. Just push through it and it will go right up.

2Wheelroadtrip (Barney)
03 LTC
82 Aspencade
Time Out camper

It's not where we go. It's that we go.

The information from this site and its members has proven to be invaluable again.
post #26 of 88 Old Jun 14th, 2014, 1:33 am

Smile Re: Placing Girl on Center Stand Video?

Hope this helps , its a good tutorial .

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t6TGuO03wHM
post #27 of 88 Old Jun 14th, 2014, 7:37 am

One little tip: push down on the centerstand with your HEEL of your foot, NOT your toes.

Stupidly obvious after the fact, but basically, you are using your body weight, not your muscles. Works better to put your weight on it via your heel than your toes. I had trouble until I realized I was using my toes.

(I use the Right Hand on side bag handle, left on handle bar, step, up-he-goes (sorry, my LT is male, apparently).
post #28 of 88 Old Jun 14th, 2014, 8:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickHolland View Post
One little tip: push down on the centerstand with your HEEL of your foot, NOT your toes.

Stupidly obvious after the fact, but basically, you are using your body weight, not your muscles. Works better to put your weight on it via your heel than your toes. I had trouble until I realized I was using my toes.

(I use the Right Hand on side bag handle, left on handle bar, step, up-he-goes (sorry, my LT is male, apparently).
A male LT? That is just wrong.

post #29 of 88 Old Jun 14th, 2014, 10:06 am

makes sense. something is extending outward when depressed properly! (hmmmmm. could apply to...........) Never mind.

Mike Hammel (My Camel) [WB9GMO/4]
2002 K1200LT-E
1998 ACE Burgundy (now 'retired')
1998 ACE Yellow/Black Tourer (now 'retired')
19?? Suzuki 500 (now 'retired')
1962 modifed 49cc>~55cc Sears MoPed (LONG 'retired')

US Army Security Agency 0582L68 ('64-68)
moderator and owner:

Retired from the business world (finally--sigh --poor and proud)
Georgia Patriot Guard Riders
Roswell, GA
post #30 of 88 Old Jun 14th, 2014, 11:06 am

Steve's response, way back at post # 2 is all you need. Very simple. No video, no overthinking, no staring at the bike, no sweating. The biggest hurdle for me was mental- trusting enough to slightly push the bike away from me to get both center stand feet on the ground. Until you can do that, you aren't getting it up on the stand.
nhhandyman likes this.

2010 Honda NT700V
1978 Honda CB400T II

Formerly
2011 R1200 RT
'04 R1150 RT-P
'04 R1200CLC
'06 Triumph Scrambler
'02 K1200LT
'01 R1200C Montana
'00 H-D Dyna Defender

" Twas a woman that drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! " - W.C. Fields
post #31 of 88 Old Jun 14th, 2014, 11:46 am

+1

Honest Abe
2004 BMW R1150RT-P
"Learning all about it "
post #32 of 88 Old Jun 14th, 2014, 11:51 am

x2

I'm 145 lbs and no prob doing it now.
post #33 of 88 Old Jun 14th, 2014, 2:34 pm

I'm physically fit but still don't care for how difficult it is. If the back is loaded or the tire is low, forget about it. At home I use a platform. Made from 2x12 planed down to 1 1/8 thick. Thin enough that the sidestand can still be used but high enough that it is almost effortless to put up on the centerstand. Just put it behind the rear tire, put in reverse and back onto it, put the sidestand down, get off, move it up on the centerstand, pullout the platform.

Camera lens does something weird to the front edge, doesn't look like it but the front edge is a straight across 45 deg bevel.

04 K1200LT, 05 F650GS

post #34 of 88 Old Jun 14th, 2014, 3:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enduro View Post
I'm physically fit but still don't care for how difficult it is. If the back is loaded or the tire is low, forget about it. At home I use a platform. Made from 2x12 planed down to 1 1/8 thick. Thin enough that the sidestand can still be used but high enough that it is almost effortless to put up on the centerstand. Just put it behind the rear tire, put in reverse and back onto it, put the sidestand down, get off, move it up on the centerstand, pullout the platform.

Camera lens does something weird to the front edge, doesn't look like it but the front edge is a straight across 45 deg bevel.
A little much to carry when traveling. I still think the EHCS is the cat's pajamas.

Next best was the two-stage mechanical stand on my Voyager XII. First stage was barely above the ground, but would hold bike up. Second stage had leverage so that only about 50% of the normal effort was required to get the wheel off the ground. A pretty simple yet effective solution. If would be nice if BMW would use something like that if they are not planning to use an EHCS on future heavy bikes like the K1600.

post #35 of 88 Old Jun 15th, 2014, 9:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
A male LT? That is just wrong.
well, my GF decided that "my" K100 must be female, in large part because she didn't want me riding a male bike.

When I bought the LT, that became "our" ( = her ) bike, so that had to be male.

I'm loosing this one, I can see that.
post #36 of 88 Old Jun 17th, 2014, 5:52 pm Thread Starter

If you are still tracking this thread, then you'll be happy to know that I cracked the code and no longer have an issue with placing the gal on the CS. I believe she was angry with me for not formally introducing her to my wife. I introduced them with a short 100 mile jaunt for Fathers Day, and she (LT) cooperated nicely with the CS following the ride. My wife was also impressed with her, but her thoughts are for another thread.
In all seriousness, having my wife spot me to determine the bike center point for the CS, and also applying the suggestion to push through the CS with my heel were the two bits of info that ended my struggles. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Rob
Navarre, FL
2000 LT
post #37 of 88 Old Jun 17th, 2014, 7:34 pm

Quote:
If you are still tracking this thread, then you'll be happy to know that I cracked the code and no longer have an issue with placing the gal on the CS. I believe she was angry with me for not formally introducing her to my wife. I introduced them with a short 100 mile jaunt for Fathers Day, and she (LT) cooperated nicely with the CS following the ride. My wife was also impressed with her, but her thoughts are for another thread.
In all seriousness, having my wife spot me to determine the bike center point for the CS, and also applying the suggestion to push through the CS with my heel were the two bits of info that ended my struggles. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Rob
Navarre, FL
2000 LT
I too have used my wife to spot and that I know how much pressure it takes to put both sides of the CS flat. I'm still nervous. I use the ball of my right foot and push downward. If I'm using a work shoe it works almost every time. Good work brother!

Mike Hammel (My Camel) [WB9GMO/4]
2002 K1200LT-E
1998 ACE Burgundy (now 'retired')
1998 ACE Yellow/Black Tourer (now 'retired')
19?? Suzuki 500 (now 'retired')
1962 modifed 49cc>~55cc Sears MoPed (LONG 'retired')

US Army Security Agency 0582L68 ('64-68)
moderator and owner:

Retired from the business world (finally--sigh --poor and proud)
Georgia Patriot Guard Riders
Roswell, GA
post #38 of 88 Old Jun 21st, 2014, 11:17 pm

Well, apparently I could use the video too. Picked up my LT after a couple months at my dad's place while I have had my garage in a mess with a house project, got it home and went to put it on the center stand and guess I mis-judged straight up by a few degrees and it tipped over on the right side. No damage other than pride but I sure feel stupid.

As I mentioned, it's been a couple months since I have been able to ride it and it sure was a nice ride home, and when it fell over missed hitting the wife car by about an inch so I've got those positives going for me.

First time I have ever done that, never even came close before, guess it's been a while and I wasn't really paying attention. The second trip up on the center stand was without incident.

-Steve

2000 BMW K1200LT
2000 BMW R1200C
post #39 of 88 Old Jun 22nd, 2014, 7:27 pm

Keeping the center stand well-lubricated makes a HUGE difference.

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #40 of 88 Old Jun 23rd, 2014, 3:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter

When I have a problem getting (HER) up I roll the front wheel up on a 2x6 hold the center stand down and let her roll back, goes up by its self.

post #41 of 88 Old Jul 4th, 2014, 9:52 pm

I can't tell you what a thrill it is to finally be able to put this beast up on the center stand by my self. I backed up on a half inch piece of fiberboard and up she went. Just that little bit made all the difference in the world. Thank God for the laws of physics. Happy. Happy.

2000 Lt
800 Kawasaki
25 yrs. without
750 Suzuki
550 Suzuki
160 Honda

The ride is fresh under diamond skies, makes me glad to be alive.
post #42 of 88 Old Jul 5th, 2014, 4:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogie View Post
I can't tell you what a thrill it is to finally be able to put this beast up on the center stand by my self. I backed up on a half inch piece of fiberboard and up she went. Just that little bit made all the difference in the world. Thank God for the laws of physics. Happy. Happy.
Good deal.

Keep in mind though that this may be an indication that your preload adjuster needs oil or your rear spring is due for replacement.

post #43 of 88 Old Jul 5th, 2014, 1:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogie View Post
That works when you're at home or in your garage, but when you're away from home, just trust all the advice here and put your big boy pants on and gently push the girl away from you so both centerstand feet are in contact with the ground and then raise her up!

2010 Honda NT700V
1978 Honda CB400T II

Formerly
2011 R1200 RT
'04 R1150 RT-P
'04 R1200CLC
'06 Triumph Scrambler
'02 K1200LT
'01 R1200C Montana
'00 H-D Dyna Defender

" Twas a woman that drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! " - W.C. Fields
post #44 of 88 Old Jul 8th, 2014, 9:22 am

You can always roll either the front or rear tire onto a 1 X 6 board. this raises the M/C just enough to give you more purchase, and they pop right up. I used to carry a short board just for this. I would roll the front tire up on the 1 X 6. I had a friend who put it under the rear tire....either way.
post #45 of 88 Old Jul 8th, 2014, 9:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by howles View Post
I have much better success getting the LT up on the CS when I wear my cycling boots - or any hard soled shoe - than when wearing tennis shoes. Can't say I've seen anyone else on this board mention that but it just flat works for me.
I will not go near my bike with sandals. One drop was enough, Good solid footwear, PERIOD.

Eric von Laue

3Cyl Kawa ( a long time ago)
450 Yamaha Seca ( maybe it was a Maxim )
1100 Honda Magna
650 Honda XR ( to Guatemala and back)
1990 Honda PC800 ( Mountain Mama )
2000 BMW 1200LT ( Maxamillion )

Keep the rubber side down
post #46 of 88 Old Jul 8th, 2014, 1:57 pm

I had share my experience...I just installed new HyperPro springs on my 2002, both front and rear. In addition to a much improved ride, I can put the bike on center stand with ease. I grab the left side luggage handle, put my foot on the stand and it darn nears jumps up on the CS by itself. I'm guessing the old springs were so sprung that the sag was changing the suspension geometry enough to make center stand operation tougher. Anyway, it's nice when I get 2 benefits out of 1 upgrade.
post #47 of 88 Old Jul 9th, 2014, 9:27 pm

As a few people mentioned finding "vertical" on the bike and using someone else to spot for them, here's my way, which a few people aluded to, so I'm not taking credit, just spelling it out in more detail.

I usually put down the side stand, then get off the bike. That way, if I have a clumsy moment, it lands on the sidestand, but I don't actually plan to use it.

Off the bike, leaning it towards me slightly, but definitely, I push down on the center stand pedal until the first contact with the ground. That's the pad NEAR me touching the ground.

Now, lightly holding down the pedal so the pad near me stays on the ground, I start tipping the bike away from me until I feel the SECOND pad hit the ground -- the pad away from me. You will know. As both pads are now on the ground, the bike is perfectly upright, and I know it. At this point, I put my weight on the pedal -- pause, realize I've got my toes on it again, and reposition it so my heel is on the pedal, and put my weight into it for real -- up (s)he goes.

Someone, sometime back, mentioned getting the bike on the center stand while SITTING ON THE BIKE (no boards, etc.). I want to see this.
post #48 of 88 Old Jul 10th, 2014, 12:10 pm

I know this is going to sound weird, but for me it's all in how I think about it. As I put my weight on the stand I have to make myself think about pushing the center stand into the ground with my foot. When I use the hand grip to steady the bike and as leverage to drive the foot into the ground she pops right up. If I think about pulling up on hand grip as I put weight on the foot it barely moves, it never goes up on the stand. Try it one time...you'll see what I mean.

Chuck H
2002 K1200LT "Queen Mary"
post #49 of 88 Old Jul 10th, 2014, 2:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickHolland View Post
As a few people mentioned finding "vertical" on the bike and using someone else to spot for them, here's my way, which a few people aluded to, so I'm not taking credit, just spelling it out in more detail.

I usually put down the side stand, then get off the bike. That way, if I have a clumsy moment, it lands on the sidestand, but I don't actually plan to use it.

Off the bike, leaning it towards me slightly, but definitely, I push down on the center stand pedal until the first contact with the ground. That's the pad NEAR me touching the ground.

Now, lightly holding down the pedal so the pad near me stays on the ground, I start tipping the bike away from me until I feel the SECOND pad hit the ground -- the pad away from me. You will know. As both pads are now on the ground, the bike is perfectly upright, and I know it. At this point, I put my weight on the pedal -- pause, realize I've got my toes on it again, and reposition it so my heel is on the pedal, and put my weight into it for real -- up (s)he goes.

Someone, sometime back, mentioned getting the bike on the center stand while SITTING ON THE BIKE (no boards, etc.). I want to see this.
I do this all the time. I sit on the bike and push the button for the center stand.

post #50 of 88 Old Jul 12th, 2014, 4:11 pm

Eight years ago I went to look at a K1200. I'd never ridden one before. The owner had had the bike for just a year or so and injured his back. Apparently, it was much bigger than any other bike he'd ever owned.

I took it for a jaunt around the block. Then my girlfriend got on the back and we went out for 15 or 20 minutes. Pulled back into the guy's driveway. We hopped off the bike, then I just casually flipped it onto the centerstand.

The guy just stood there, staring. Finally, he asked, "how did you DO that???"

I shrugged and said, "I donno, I guess I started with a moped 30 years ago and worked my way up." Which was true. But my previous two bikes were a Goldwing 1500 and a Goldwing 1800 and I used to put them on the centerstand regularly.

And, I'm not exactly "athletic". It's all a matter of pushing down on the pedal with all ya got while keeping the bike upright and steady.

BTW, when I noticed the title of this thread, I thought, "huh? Video of a girl placing a bike on the center stand?" (I've seen real life demos of a 90 pound woman lifting a fallen-over Goldwing) "Video of placing a girl on the bike on the centerstand?" Then whatever I was thinking got a lot naughtier.

If you look at the map and don't care where you are, you're not lost.

2000 K1200LT
1977 R75/7
1962 R60/2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.