How to Remove After-Market Adhesive Mirrors? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By mwnahas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Jun 15th, 2006, 12:46 pm Thread Starter

Question How to Remove After-Market Adhesive Mirrors?

I use 4" round convex self-adhesive mirrors on the outboard edges of my stock mirrors. They're $2 at any auto parts store or truck stop, and they effectively eliminate the blindspots. I recently grabbed the wrong sponge to clean the mirrors with -- this was one of those dual-sided things that has a scrubbie on one side and sponge on the other. Of course, I used the wrong side and scratched the @#$% out of the convex mirror.

I want to replace the scratched mirror with a new one. Tried using dental floss to pull the adhesive backing away from the mirror but no joy. Any other ideas? Is it possible to break the stock mirror by trying this?

BTW: RS mirrors should be arriving any day now. I don't think they'll help with blind spots but they should provide a much better view behind than the LT stock mirrors do.

Howard Schisler
2009 BMW K1200LT - 51k miles and counting
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles. Still running strong at 150k miles.
2005 Honda Shadow 650 - starter bike
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Jun 15th, 2006, 12:52 pm

Clean up as much as you can with WD-40 and then a use a rag dipped a little in Goof off or something similar. Careful with paint etc.

Prakash Krishnamurthy

2004 R1150RT Titanium Grey

post #3 of 18 Old Jun 15th, 2006, 12:54 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by unleashd
Clean up as much as you can with WD-40 and then a use a rag dipped a little in Goof off or something similar. Careful with paint etc.
But I can't get the mirror OFF to get to that point... it's still tightly-stuck to the stock mirror. I need a way to pry/pull/blast off or otherwise remove the mirror; then I'll clean up afterwards.

Howard Schisler
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles. Still running strong at 150k miles.

post #4 of 18 Old Jun 15th, 2006, 1:00 pm
Asphalt Surfer

Try a heat gun or Hair dryer.
You can also use a razor blade on the back side of the 4" round convex self-adhesive mirrors leaving the adhesive on the main mirror.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #5 of 18 Old Jun 15th, 2006, 1:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
I use 4" round convex self-adhesive mirrors on the outboard edges of my stock mirrors. They're $2 at any auto parts store or truck stop, and they effectively eliminate the blindspots. I recently grabbed the wrong sponge to clean the mirrors with -- this was one of those dual-sided things that has a scrubbie on one side and sponge on the other. Of course, I used the wrong side and scratched the @#$% out of the convex mirror.

I want to replace the scratched mirror with a new one. Tried using dental floss to pull the adhesive backing away from the mirror but no joy. Any other ideas? Is it possible to break the stock mirror by trying this?

BTW: RS mirrors should be arriving any day now. I don't think they'll help with blind spots but they should provide a much better view behind than the LT stock mirrors do.
Howard, I have the same 'type' blind-spot-eliminating mirrors mounted to the Muth mirror; 'cept they are smaller than 4". I've replaced both of 'em in the past, and if I recall, I just tucked a fingernail under an edge and pried slowly 'til the adhesive bond broke; kept steadying pressure on the Muths so that they didn't give. It finally broke free at the blind-spot mirrors, so I used Goo-Gone to remove the remaining adhesive from the Muths. BTW - my b/s mirrors tilt and swivel so that I'm able to set them up so that I see 'almost' 90 degrees off the side of the bike. HTH.
post #6 of 18 Old Jun 15th, 2006, 1:50 pm

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarider
Try a heat gun or Hair dryer.
You can also use a razor blade on the back side of the 4" round convex self-adhesive mirrors leaving the adhesive on the main mirror.
Heat works best and use a fresh razor blade, old rusty one can scratch glass. Once off the glue well roll right off.

Dave Carter
91 Voyager
81 Interstate
post #7 of 18 Old Jun 15th, 2006, 2:43 pm

+1 yeah that.

F
post #8 of 18 Old Jun 15th, 2006, 2:45 pm
ajs

I recently removed convex mirrors from my LT and relocated them in another area on the same mirrors. I used a heat gun on an angle at the edge of the mirrors I wanted to remove and applied even pressure until they released from the mirror face. I was careful with the heat gun because of the possibility of distortion of plastic parts. I then cleaned up the residue left behind with a paint thinner on a rag. I reattached the mirrors using Clear RTV cement and left on a 3100 mile trip. The mirrors are still attached and working great.

BTW, on a somewhat different subject, I also installed a set of chrome R1200C mirrors on my bike for the last 400 miles of the trip. I liked the looks and they are the best functioning rear view mirrors I have had on ANY bike, clear view and no vibration. I can actually see and identify the type of vehicle/s behind me for some distance back. Important if one is inclined to test the speed limits. Those mirrors are a keeper and I will now be relocating the convex mirrors again. Just blowing a little wind after a great ride over some really great motorcycle roads in Virginia. Skyline Drive and other places in your great country. As somebody said "I will be baaack". Austin S.
post #9 of 18 Old Nov 24th, 2015, 8:16 am

Re: How to Remove After-Market Adhesive Mirrors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs View Post
I recently removed convex mirrors from my LT and relocated them in another area on the same mirrors. I used a heat gun on an angle at the edge of the mirrors I wanted to remove and applied even pressure until they released from the mirror face. I was careful with the heat gun because of the possibility of distortion of plastic parts. I then cleaned up the residue left behind with a paint thinner on a rag. I reattached the mirrors using Clear RTV cement and left on a 3100 mile trip. The mirrors are still attached and working great.

BTW, on a somewhat different subject, I also installed a set of chrome R1200C mirrors on my bike for the last 400 miles of the trip. I liked the looks and they are the best functioning rear view mirrors I have had on ANY bike, clear view and no vibration. I can actually see and identify the type of vehicle/s behind me for some distance back. Important if one is inclined to test the speed limits. Those mirrors are a keeper and I will now be relocating the convex mirrors again. Just blowing a little wind after a great ride over some really great motorcycle roads in Virginia. Skyline Drive and other places in your great country. As somebody said "I will be baaack". Austin S.
I just Googled this and got a suggestion to try floss, it broke. Another suggestion said use fishing line. Wrapped the two ends around two bolts so as not to cut my fingers with the 17 lb test line I had. Put the line behind one side of the mirror and in a seesaw motion, it came right off in less than 10 seconds! Now just have to remove the residual glue! Shouldn't be much of a problem.

Last edited by Yankeedon; Nov 24th, 2015 at 8:38 am. Reason: Typo
post #10 of 18 Old Nov 24th, 2015, 9:47 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Heat works best and use a fresh razor blade, old rusty one can scratch glass. Once off the glue well roll right off.
Howard
+1

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

In July, to The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

'00 K1200LTC
'90 K75
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #11 of 18 Old Nov 24th, 2015, 9:48 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Howard
+1
You can also use a hair dryer if you don't have a heat gun.
Paul

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

In July, to The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

'00 K1200LTC
'90 K75
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #12 of 18 Old Nov 24th, 2015, 11:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell View Post
Howard
+1
You can also use a hair dryer if you don't have a heat gun.
Paul
Betcha Howard got it off by now. LMAO
cws, SmokinJoe and johnbaker15 like this.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #13 of 18 Old Nov 30th, 2015, 4:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas View Post

Hmmmm. Howard has always done things slowly, deliberately, and methodically, so... maybe so, maybe no. ;-))

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #14 of 18 Old Nov 30th, 2015, 7:36 pm

Don't use a razor blade. It will scratch you stock mirror ! First use a heat gun as others have said And at the same time prise it gently with one of those semi hard plastic shims one uses to apply decals stickers or Mylar to get the bubbles out. Trick is to go slowly

Phil in Marin
2013 K1300S-30 Anniv ED.
2006 K1200GT-Blue of course-sold
2005 Ducati 999-the I-talian princess-sold
2004 K1200GT Gen-1, Orient Blue
post #15 of 18 Old Dec 5th, 2015, 7:56 pm Thread Starter

Originally Posted by mwnahas View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211 View Post
Hmmmm. Howard has always done things slowly, deliberately, and methodically, so... maybe so, maybe no. ;-))
I'm slow, but not THAT slow...

Howard Schisler

post #16 of 18 Old Sep 13th, 2016, 6:27 pm
Lifetime Supporter

If it is the foam sticky back adhesive use string and try sawing through it. It has worked for me in the past. Dental floss is too slippery. Once off new single edge blade with a good window cleaner or soapy water to lubricate the glass as you scrape the residue off.
post #17 of 18 Old Sep 14th, 2016, 11:24 am

A hair dryer and Fishing line. Heat it up. Start at one edge and use a sawing motion to cut thru adhesive tape.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #18 of 18 Old Sep 14th, 2016, 4:19 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Exclamation Re: How to Remove After-Market Adhesive Mirrors?

I'm willing to bet he already has it taken care of. I mean he did ask about it ten years ago.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.