BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

How to calibrate fuel level sensor (K1200GT - 2008)

18K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Corkguy 
#1 ·
I did a bad job with the GS911 tool.
I have a maximum blocked indication for the fuel level at the instrument panel.
What is the procedure for correct calibration fuel level sensor??
Thanks
Paulo

#2 ·
There may not be anything you can do with the GS-911 if it is the fuel strip and it has failed. I have repaired many of these fuel strips in GS and RT bikes where the indication was either always full or always empty. You need to find the four pin connector on the fuel tank for the strip then hook up a BBQ grill push button starter to the two middle pins (the sensor strip that has broken). Snap the BBQ igniter several times and the HV arc will fuse the broken substrate in the fuel strip repairing it. It will not ignite the fuel. For more info go over to the AdvRider web site and search on fuel strip as there are several threads on it there. I carry a BBQ igniter in my saddle bag on my LT to help my fellow riders while on the road. I did my GS three times before I sold it and got a 1300GT with a float unit.

#6 ·
You just have to access the connector. The strip can be in the tank to zap it. You will not blow up the fuel in the tank.

#7 ·
I have done a calibration test with the GS911 tool and the dry sensor, the calibration has been corrected. Then, when the key is in the ignition position, the tank indication is full with the tank empty. I think the fuel sensor is faulty...

Auto part Machine Machine tool Vehicle

Text Font Technology Electronic device

#8 · (Edited)
If you have an ohm meter measure between the two inside pins on the connector. You should see 2.7 kohms if the sensor is not fractured and measure an open if it is. That is what the BBQ grill piezo snap igniter will fix just keep zapping it then checking with the ohm meter until you get the 2.7 kohms.

If you a half hour to kill go look here for some fun info on the subject.

#9 ·
Today, during my ride with the K1200GT, after a few miles the gasoline level gauge worked properly.
Calibration with the GS911 is a success. Thank you for your help.
Paulo

#10 ·
Today, during my ride with the K1200GT, after a few miles the gasoline level gauge worked properly.
Calibration with the GS911 is a success. Thank you for your help.
Paulo
My K1200GT fuel gauge just went to a zero gas with the triangle warning light. Most of the repair videos I've seen using the piezo are for the 1200RS, and it seems for that model the fuel pump area is exposed to the left of the gas tank under the body panel. For the K1200GT (2006 model) it seems the fuel pump and wire plug that needs to be "zapped" cannot be reached without removing the gas tank. Is this correct?

#11 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm excited to be a part of this forum and share my experience as a BMW user. Like many of you, I've faced the frustration of running out of fuel due to issues with the fuel strip. After encountering this problem multiple times, I decided to take matters into my own hands.
With over 50 years of experience in the electronics industry, I've developed an alternative solution that addresses this issue. Our replacement fuel strip has already been successfully installed in over 500 bikes, providing a more robust and reliable option.
The best part is, the replacement process is identical to the original fuel strip and requires no modifications to your bike or ECU. It's a seamless transition that anyone can do.
In addition, we're currently working on a new version of the fuel strip that eliminates the need for calibration. This means you won't require a scanner to install the sensor. We understand that many of our customers prefer a hassle-free experience, and we're committed to delivering just that.
If you're tired of dealing with fuel strip issues and want a reliable and straightforward solution, our replacement fuel strip is the answer. Join the growing number of satisfied riders who have made the switch.
Feel free to reach out if you have any questions or want more information. I'm here to help and share my knowledge with fellow BMW enthusiasts. I cant share the link but you can check Fuelsensortech in google if are interested on getting our solution.

Ride on,

Carlos.

K1300GT / K1200S

#12 ·
Certainly looks like a good alternative
And at €125, without the hassle of trying to find the second-hand parts (float etc.) to make a conversion, might be a viable option.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.