Sena 20s vs Cardo G9x - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Whiskey
  • 1 Post By mwnahas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Jul 26th, 2014, 9:25 am Thread Starter

Sena 20s vs Cardo G9x

Well I boxed up my G9x after trying the 20s. I ran the same configuration and the 20s does the same things as the G9x. The multi-processing and multi-tasking technology has made all the difference as I hoped.

Now I can listen to music while talking and listening on the intercom. The G9x can only do one task at a time. And while the g9x had music sharing too, the 20s can share music and the GPS and use the intercom at the same time. The GPS audio does lower the volume of the music and now the GPS turn by turn voice directions can be shared as well. Both of us can hear everything and we have the instant communication. This is just what I wanted.

My bluetooth configuration

20s directly connected to K1600 audio as stereo music - Bike's FM and USB MP3 files work. XM not tested because my demo has run out. Sound quality is better than G9x or maybe it's the better speakers. Speakers are better made. 20s build quality is better than the Sena 10.

Android phone connected to GPS, GPS connected to 20s headset as a phone.
Phone works as it did before, GPS works.

Intercom rider to passenger works. It sounds as though there is less bandwidth but the voices are easier to understand. Heavy noise filtering going on here, but that's ok.

As I said before it all works together at the same time if you want it to.

I got in on the RocketMoto group buy so got a good price. Retail is priced just below the Cardo.

Good Journey all.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Jul 26th, 2014, 11:31 am

Re: Sena 20s vs Cardo G9x

I'm using a G9 and my buddy uses a G9X. Can't tell you how many times I've been tempted to just toss the POS on the freeway and let it fend for itself.
Been reading about the Uclear. Supposed to be the latest and greatest. Sure get tired of throwing money at this crap.
post #3 of 23 Old Jul 26th, 2014, 11:52 am

How do you connect the 20's to the bikes audio?

Eric von Laue

3Cyl Kawa ( a long time ago)
450 Yamaha Seca ( maybe it was a Maxim )
1100 Honda Magna
650 Honda XR ( to Guatemala and back)
1990 Honda PC800 ( Mountain Mama )
2000 BMW 1200LT ( Maxamillion )

Keep the rubber side down
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 23 Old Jul 26th, 2014, 1:45 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountianMama View Post
How do you connect the 20's to the bikes audio?
It is a bluetooh music only stereo connection. A2DP protocol. It works, music sounds good. No cables. I have cut the cord.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
post #5 of 23 Old Jul 26th, 2014, 1:50 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt View Post
I'm using a G9 and my buddy uses a G9X. Can't tell you how many times I've been tempted to just toss the POS on the freeway and let it fend for itself.
Been reading about the Uclear. Supposed to be the latest and greatest. Sure get tired of throwing money at this crap.
Uclear is supposed to be good but I wanted my cake and eat it too. I wanted to hear music, and have the intercom going, and my wife to hear the same music and intercom. Music share and multiple audio source mixing is the 20s. Or if she doesn't like what I listening to she can have her own music and still hear me in the intercom. I think the new Sena 20s is going to kill Cardo. IMO.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
post #6 of 23 Old Jul 26th, 2014, 2:06 pm

You mean that I can listen to AC/DC while the wife listens to Olivia Newton John Unplugged? Or we can both listen to The Carpenters Rock The House together?
Well If that alone doesn't kill Cardo, I don't know what will
I'm off to google Sena. Thanks
post #7 of 23 Old Jul 26th, 2014, 5:10 pm
Old Slow Guy on a Fast Bike.

Michael you said you can hear the music AND talk on the intercom both at the same time or did I read that wrong?

The 20s are supposed to be able to connect to the intercom of from other brands like the G9. Have you tried that yet?

Stevie Shreeve
2012 K1600GTL
2015 KLR650
post #8 of 23 Old Jul 26th, 2014, 5:28 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn View Post
Michael you said you can hear the music AND talk on the intercom both at the same time or did I read that wrong?

The 20s are supposed to be able to connect to the intercom of from other brands like the G9. Have you tried that yet?
You read that right this is the tech I was waiting for. Not only I can hear the music and the intercom at the same time but I can share the music too. Gretchen can hear the same music and we can talk to each other over that music. The bonus I didn't count on the GPS can be shared too.

Look ma, no wires...

Have not tried the universal intercom feature but it has it.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
post #9 of 23 Old Jul 26th, 2014, 8:28 pm
Old Slow Guy on a Fast Bike.

Very good to hear Michael. I too have been disappointed with the G9 But have been putting up with it being hard wired to the bike.

Stevie Shreeve
2012 K1600GTL
2015 KLR650
post #10 of 23 Old Jul 27th, 2014, 6:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas View Post
Not only I can hear the music and the intercom at the same time but I can share the music too. Gretchen can hear the same music and we can talk to each other over that music.
Does the music mute or play lower when you use the intercom? What about the gps, does that mute anything when it promps?
Thanks!!!!!

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #11 of 23 Old Jul 27th, 2014, 1:53 pm

Garage

I had a G4, and there is no.way I will buy a ScalaRider product again.

No-end of troubles, and reading the forum is has not got any better.

I am using the Sena SMH10, which suits my purpose - it works!

Hope you have good luck with the S20. If the SMH10 fails, that is the one I will switch to!

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
post #12 of 23 Old Jul 27th, 2014, 3:41 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino View Post
Does the music mute or play lower when you use the intercom? What about the gps, does that mute anything when it promps?
Thanks!!!!!
The GPS does lower the music volume when it speaks. The music is not lowering the volume when the intercom is on, however I think its supposed to. It's also supposed to remember the volume of the mode you were in when you last adjusted it even after you turn it off. But I haven't finished testing that. There is another software update scheduled for mid August so I'm sure they'll be fixing bugs and features.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
post #13 of 23 Old Jul 27th, 2014, 3:43 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleuth View Post
I had a G4, and there is no.way I will buy a ScalaRider product again.

No-end of troubles, and reading the forum is has not got any better.

I am using the Sena SMH10, which suits my purpose - it works!

Hope you have good luck with the S20. If the SMH10 fails, that is the one I will switch to!
Sorry you had troubles with yours. My g9x worked but did only one thing at a time. I wanted better and Sena 20s is a leap ahead of Cardo right now.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
post #14 of 23 Old Aug 23rd, 2014, 8:34 pm

I have had the Scala Teamset, the Q2 Multiset, the G4, and now the G9. Yes, I know, I like the latest gadgets. Keep trading my old equipment to friends and upgrading as the units still talk to each other.

That said, DON'T BUY SCALA. I have had it. The voice actuated mics do NOT operate reliably and is extremely frustrating. On the G9, I have resorted to using the PTT feature on the unit. Our entire group has the same exact problem so it is NOT only me. It is just Scala was the "standard" at one time and I am ready for someone to blow them away. Think the Sena has done it.

From what I understand the Sena is MUCH better and light years ahead of Scala. BUY SENA.
post #15 of 23 Old Aug 24th, 2015, 3:14 pm

Quote:
The GPS audio does lower the volume of the music and now the GPS turn by turn voice directions can be shared as well. Both of us can hear everything and we have the instant communication.
Sorry to revive this thread but I got my 20S dual kit today but I can't work out how to share the GPS commands
Can you explain how you did this? Also what GPS are you using?

Regards,
Del
post #16 of 23 Old Nov 25th, 2016, 7:37 am

Replied to an incomprehensible response from Cardo tech support about suppressing wind and road noise in my/my wife's G9s by stating that the manual, which directed me to section 6.8 which directed me to section 4.6 which directed me to their website to adjust the VOX sensitivity, with no explanation of how to adjust the sensitivity of something else, was written by a literacy-challenged engineer and that if the explanations weren't simple the engineering sucked, and that I'm tempted to throw the damn things away and try the N-Coms for our Nolan helmets. Apparently theres a B-something piece of hardware that will let the Nolan units communicate with any other Bluetooth-capable communicator -- if I understand the less-than-wonderfully-literate feature descriptions of the Nolan units.

Whatever, there's gotta be a more user-friendly system than Cardo Scala G9.
post #17 of 23 Old Nov 25th, 2016, 7:52 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanhermit View Post
Replied to an incomprehensible response from Cardo tech support about suppressing wind and road noise in my/my wife's G9s by stating that the manual, which directed me to section 6.8 which directed me to section 4.6 which directed me to their website to adjust the VOX sensitivity, with no explanation of how to adjust the sensitivity of something else, was written by a literacy-challenged engineer and that if the explanations weren't simple the engineering sucked, and that I'm tempted to throw the damn things away and try the N-Coms for our Nolan helmets. Apparently theres a B-something piece of hardware that will let the Nolan units communicate with any other Bluetooth-capable communicator -- if I understand the less-than-wonderfully-literate feature descriptions of the Nolan units.

They've got an app for smartphones that will connect to the headset and make pretty much any setting you want easily. Since that came out I've never had to refer to the manual. Give it a shot.
scala rider likes this.

2000 R1100RT
post #18 of 23 Old Dec 16th, 2016, 12:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
They've got an app for smartphones that will connect to the headset and make pretty much any setting you want easily. Since that came out I've never had to refer to the manual. Give it a shot.

You are correct. All settings and functions have a voice, button, and app command. You can also update your modules here.
post #19 of 23 Old Dec 17th, 2016, 5:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
I don't have a smartphone and don't want one. I'm a troglodyte. Maybe that's the core problem.
post #20 of 23 Old Dec 17th, 2016, 3:46 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
I don't have a smartphone and don't want one. I'm a troglodyte. Maybe that's the core problem.
Whiskey likes this.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
post #21 of 23 Old Dec 18th, 2016, 7:41 am

Quote:

I had N Con a few years ago and unless they have changed them they are not water proof. Several times while riding in rain they stopped working until they dried out. I have had Sena 20s for the 3 years and have never had a problem in the rain.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Al Strickland
Blairsville, Georgia
1967 Honda Cub
1972 Honda CB350
1979 Suzuki GS750E
2001 R1150GS (gone -- victim of a Highway 28 curve)
2002 K1200LT Trike (now history, transmission died)
2009 R1200GS
2013 K1600GTL

2009 K1300GT
post #22 of 23 Old Jan 19th, 2017, 3:49 am

Garage

Quote:
Well I boxed up my G9x after trying the 20s. I ran the same configuration and the 20s does the same things as the G9x. The multi-processing and multi-tasking technology has made all the difference as I hoped.

Now I can listen to music while talking and listening on the intercom. The G9x can only do one task at a time. And while the g9x had music sharing too, the 20s can share music and the GPS and use the intercom at the same time. The GPS audio does lower the volume of the music and now the GPS turn by turn voice directions can be shared as well. Both of us can hear everything and we have the instant communication. This is just what I wanted.

My bluetooth configuration

20s directly connected to K1600 audio as stereo music - Bike's FM and USB MP3 files work. XM not tested because my demo has run out. Sound quality is better than G9x or maybe it's the better speakers. Speakers are better made. 20s build quality is better than the Sena 10.

Android phone connected to GPS, GPS connected to 20s headset as a phone.
Phone works as it did before, GPS works.

Intercom rider to passenger works. It sounds as though there is less bandwidth but the voices are easier to understand. Heavy noise filtering going on here, but that's ok.

As I said before it all works together at the same time if you want it to.

I got in on the RocketMoto group buy so got a good price. Retail is priced just below the Cardo.

Good Journey all.
Any updates? I'm on a 2016 R1200Rt and I'm using a Nolan 104 Helmet with Nolan B5 Bluetooth and the audio is amazing and can handle Bluetooth music through the Iphone6. I'm not using audio of the GPS due to my visual training and the fact I find the voice annoying as hell. I see a lot of Sena talk and want to know if anyone has found this to be the work around of the Shuberth/BMW/Cardo scam. I'd like great audio with full use of my $23k motor.
post #23 of 23 Old Jan 19th, 2017, 4:22 am

Garage

***UPDATE*** I answered my own question via You Tube
Hopefully this helps. Sena it is!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.