BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Luggage trailer

5K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  Airportech 
#1 ·
Happy new year everyone, I've been thinking about a luggage trailer for the LT and wondered if anyone has built one, got one for sale or any advice on building one, also any suggestions photos etc for the tow attachment on the bike or photos of the trailer. In others words owt.

Cheers Bren :)

#4 ·
Hi Phil I remember Smugje having one I was really impressed that he was able to unhitch and wheel it into the lift and up to his room and in an ideal world that is just the ticket but a bit out of my price bracket. You very rarely see trailers around these parts I just wanted a few ideas of home builds etc. hope your keeping well, take care Bren

#3 ·
Here is a picture of the Samsonite Oyster suitcase trailer that I built. It has been used a lot. The box on the tongue came from JC Whitney and also snaps off to take into the motel.

I used torsion axles for suspension and 12 inch wheels. Over all it is 6 feet long and weighs in at 110 LBs empty. You literally can not tell it is back there when pulling with the LT or the RT.

On both of my motorcycles I used tow hitches from DMC (Dauntless).

http://www.dmcsidecars.com/hitches/

It converts for hauling my bicycles also.

Ron

Attachments

#5 ·
Hi Ron thanks for your feedback and the images, this looks spot on, and similar to what I have in mind, building the trailer will be no problem but sourcing a hitch for the bike might be a bit more of a problem I've looked on your USA site and seen a couple of home made ones which I might go for. Do you mean the length of square section draw bar steel that you can see snaps off? cheers Bren

#6 ·
#8 ·
Hi Francis thanks for your feed back I've struggled a bit with looking at the site you suggested (only because I don't speak French) but I will have another look. I would be interested in a copy of the plans for the hitch I will PM you my email address cheers Bren

#10 ·
One more thing Bren,

When you build the trailer be sure to use LED lights on it. This will allow you to connect the wiring on bikes that are Canbus without causing a conflict with the ZFE. This would be for RT's and newer K bikes.

The taillight/brake light on these bikes have single element bulbs and the ZFE sends 5 volts in the tail light mode and full 12 volts in the brake mode.

Ron

#12 ·
No canbus on the LT.

#13 ·
I wasn't sure which bike you were riding.....this would not be necessary on the LT. If you plan on a different ride later it might make a difference. LED's draw less power and work well with either bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.