BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Ztechnik VStream Windshield. 2nd review

52K views 33 replies 24 participants last post by  Gizmo1137 
#1 ·
This was my second trip with the Ztechnik VStream Windshield and now I guess I have the final review. For my off course :)

For me, the Ztechnik VStream Windshield is not a good product.

From Ztechnik web site, this windshield is suppose to delivery: QUIET • COMFORT • OPTICS

it give me the Optics, but Quiet and Confort the anwser is no.
for noise, it's worst then the stock windshield and much worst then CeeBailey.
for confort, it's a little better then stock, but worst then CeeBailey.

I can sacrifice some optics for more quiet and confortable ride.
Their web site claims that "At speeds of 50-90 mph, the air swirls off the windshield in an approximate 90-degree segment of rotation, i.e. it rolls off the windshield, hits the bottom of the rider's neck on the way up, and curves off the shoulder at approximately 45 degrees".
Only if I use it all way up my hemet.
If I put down to my eye line, the noise is pretty loud, the buffeting is extremely anoing.

So I'm putting back the CeeBailey and send this one to eBay.
It's bummer because I like the lines of this windshield and also like the clarity, but the noise is a big issue for me and for the wife.

I would appreciate any comments from people who are liking it, on how they are using it and how tall you are.

for me: I'm 6.2, wife 5.8,
I like to use a windshield one or two inches below my eye line.
Neither one that I used so far is perfect, but VStream is one of the worst on that setup.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Elton,

I'm sure there are some out there that this works great for, But I got to agree with you. For me it has created more noise than the stock screen that came with my 2003 Lt (The high one). I took about an 800 mile trip with it. Some riding in twisties and some on the slab and found that it was a lot more noisy than my stock shield. Put the stock one back on last night, took a ride and found that I liked the stock much better.

#4 ·
V Stream Windscreen

I had one of those V Stream windscreens on my R1100 RT and it was useless. Did not do what they claim so I will not get one for my LT. The stock screen is fine. Parabellum makes a good screen for the RT really effective, but it was so big it looked goofy.

#6 ·
swetms said:
Just out of curiosity, which Cee Bailey are you using? How tall are you? I'm currently in the middle of trying to decide which shield would be best for me. Your review has been enlightening to say the least. Thank you for taking the time to post it.

Mike
I Mike
I'm 6.2, wife 5.9

I just put back my CeeBailey #2 -2
http://www.ceebaileys.com/bmw/1200ltsel.html
and I'm right now waiting for my seat to be ready, so I can try it on this comming weekend.
That would be my final decision, but I guess I'm set to sell my VStream. In fact, it's on the Classified section of this forum right now...

#7 ·
Except for being taller than I like the V-Stream is better for me. I can use the cell phone & C.B. at any speed much better than the CeeBailey & less distortion than the CeeBaiey.

#8 ·
Big_E said:
Except for being taller than I like the V-Stream is better for me. I can use the cell phone & C.B. at any speed much better than the CeeBailey & less distortion than the CeeBaiey.
As you can see on my comments, the clarity on the VStream is way better then Cee Bailey, but the noise is worst for me, maybe because the way I use it, about a inch below my eye line.

I could not find what is the comum denominator, but looks like some people really like it, and few other don't. :(

#9 ·
Ztechnik windshield Review

Well,

I was hoping for a hands down winner here, but that's not the case for me. I have been riding with a stock tall BMW windshield for 41,000 miles before replacing it with the V-Stream. First of all the V-Stream looks great on the bike and it's fit, finish and clarity is awesome. Installation was a breeze with not problems lining up the screw holes, etc. However, the V-stream is a bit taller than the stock BMW windshield which makes it a little harder for me to see over (I have long legs and short trunk) and I believe it is a bit noiser than the stock tall BMW shield. The BMW windshield is much superior when in the full up position. The V-Stream when in the full up position creates turbulence that is annoying, so I normally ride with it down just a little bit from full up when on the highway. If I were taking a long highway trip tomorrow I would put the BMW tall back on.

So now I have a worn out BMW tall windshield that I really like and a brand new V-Stream that looks great but I don't really like. Anyone want to sell me their new BMW tall windscreen, or trade for my V-Stream? If so, send me a PM

#10 ·
I use mine all the way down & wish it was shorter. The only way I know the wind noise is less is that I can hear the phone at any speed. With the CeeBaiey I would have to slow down & drop my helmet shield to answer the phone. I had a CeeBailey -4 & it was the perfect hight for me all the way down except for answering the phone.

#11 ·
My $0.02

I thought the VStream was brilliant 0 to 55 or 60mph. Travelling faster than that, (especially on the interstate with lots of other vehicles and the resultant "dirty air" turbulence), there was this very regular, high frequency, percussive buffeting. I can only attribute it to the advertised vortices bending inward and drubbing me on the helmet sides. It made no difference where i'd adjusted the angle. It was worse for my co-pilot. She was extremely cranky at the next fuel stop. Luckily the rest of the ride was on slower, twisty secondary roads.

The OEM tall screen, on the other hand, generates buffeting that is more chaotic and fluid, like cruising along in a small boat in choppy waters. Your body can sort of absorb it and roll along without too much stress. It's still tiresome, but not like the staccato chinese water torture of the VStream which gets aggravating really fast.

The VStream does work in theory, just the application in a huge barn-door windscreen like the LT's might be less than ideal.

For reference, I'm 6 ft even with 32" inseam average proportions.

#13 ·
Yes, the wings help. But you're better off with a good windproof jacket and a heated liner. Then you can just turn a knob and get all the heat you want. I've used the Warm-n-Safe stuff down to 30 degrees and been toasty warm.

#14 ·
strsout said:
This was my second trip with the Ztechnik VStream Windshield and now I guess I have the final review. For my off course :)

For me, the Ztechnik VStream Windshield is not a good product.

From Ztechnik web site, this windshield is suppose to delivery: QUIET • COMFORT • OPTICS

it give me the Optics, but Quiet and Confort the anwser is no.
for noise, it's worst then the stock windshield and much worst then CeeBailey.
for confort, it's a little better then stock, but worst then CeeBailey.

I can sacrifice some optics for more quiet and confortable ride.
Their web site claims that "At speeds of 50-90 mph, the air swirls off the windshield in an approximate 90-degree segment of rotation, i.e. it rolls off the windshield, hits the bottom of the rider's neck on the way up, and curves off the shoulder at approximately 45 degrees".
Only if I use it all way up my hemet.
If I put down to my eye line, the noise is pretty loud, the buffeting is extremely anoing.

So I'm putting back the CeeBailey and send this one to eBay.
It's bummer because I like the lines of this windshield and also like the clarity, but the noise is a big issue for me and for the wife.

I would appreciate any comments from people who are liking it, on how they are using it and how tall you are.

for me: I'm 6.2, wife 5.8,
I like to use a windshield one or two inches below my eye line.
Neither one that I used so far is perfect, but VStream is one of the worst on that setup.
Completely different experience for me. I am 6'3" with a 34" inseam, so my seated height is 41". I have a custom seat equal to the stock high position. Little buffeting, very little wind noise. I am riding with a Baehr helmet, which is the quietest helmet I have owned to date. I bought it to connect to the Baehr intercom on the bike. Maybe you have a different seated height. I ride anywhere between 60 and well in excess of posted speeds. Around 80+ I start to notice more buffeting, which is why I want a taller screen. I will never go back to Cee Baileys or to an overpriced acrylic monster such as Aeroflow.

#15 ·
VStream Comments

I bought the VStream form my wife. 75% of my riding is with her. She is Tall, 5'10" and the tall BMW screen beat her to pieces. I tried a Cee Bailey Type 2 with wings, she could tell no difference. at the Rally in WI, I tried the VStream shield and lo and behold, she liked it a bunch. She said she had no buffetting at all. So I bought it and we are living happily ever after.

Having said that, I do find it quieter for me, but I do not like the lower distortion. Since it is in area I seldom look through, it is acceptable.

My advice, got to a rally where the various vendors are present and try them all. Its different strokes for different folks.

Ultra LT

#17 ·
winshield

Original shield was a euro style on an 05lt.Too much of everything,decided on v tech shield.Installation not hard,lost a crome cover later.I,M 6'0" wear a nolan helmet noise isn't a problem and distortion is minimal.Winter shield is
usually all the way up,the rest of the time just above my eyes and i leave
my shield in the up position with no intrusion of bugs or road debry.All said
V tech shield PDG.I believe that National Cycel makes the shield.

#19 ·
CB looking better all the time. My RT has a CB and it works well. But Parabellum is supose to be nice too. I want a highway shield for 80+ mph and two up.

#20 ·
I am looking for a new shield to replace the stock short shield that constantly fogs up. I really do not want to spend on a shield at this time however, I hate when my shield is not clear. I was leaning toward the V-Stream for the looks and the clarity. I'm glad I read this post, now I am ruling out the V-Stream and I will look at the tall BMW stocked shield and the Cee-Bailey.

I will take any advice on fogging problem. If I can solve that problem I can use the funds to purchase some other accessories.

#21 ·
Thanks for your review Elton. For us the VStream works better than stock, C Bailey +2 and stock short. Personal preference I guess as well rider position. My wife likes the VStream best for buffeting protection. That in itself is good enough for us. Add in the best clarity of all three and again I'm happy with the choice. If I had to pick another screen it would be a C Bailey again. The only thing I liked about it was quieter. Good luck with your next choice.

#22 ·
ErnieA said:
Thanks for your review Elton. For us the VStream works better than stock, C Bailey +2 and stock short. Personal preference I guess as well rider position. My wife likes the VStream best for buffeting protection. That in itself is good enough for us. Add in the best clarity of all three and again I'm happy with the choice. If I had to pick another screen it would be a C Bailey again. The only thing I liked about it was quieter. Good luck with your next choice.
Ditto, ditto, ditto, except I would stay with the VStream!

#23 ·
I have an 07 LT. Got a Ztechnik in Jan 09. Liked how it worked, but cracked at the mounting holes within two to three weeks. I have gotten to the third sheild, still cracks (install by BMW dealer) and still dealing with Ztechnik (National Cycle). Put on CeeBaileys, the one similar to the Ztechnik, two weeks 900 miles and no problems. I think it is better than stock.
Nice airflow and pretty quiet up to 70 or so. Would like to know if anyone has experienced
cracking at the mounting holes recently.

#24 ·
Just picked up a VStream last week and installed on my 06LT. Took a trip over the weekend, about 300 miles and I have two cracks at the top mounting hole on the left side. I like the clarity and the wind protection and the wife does as well. Don't like the crack. I'm heading out this next weekend for a trip out to CA, really wanted to have the VStream on for a long ride check out. I will call National tomorrow to see what they have to say about the cracks. It was installed using a t-handle allen wrench and not over tightened (used blue loctite to keep the screws secure).

SmoothLT- How did National work with you on the cracking???? Any reason or explanation??

Thanks

#25 ·
I called National about my VStream cracking at the mounting holes (it was cracking at all the mounting holes) and they sent a new windshield to me. I just got it today, but concerned whether this windshield may crack. Has anybody got any advice on mounting a windshield to best insure that it doesn't crack??

Thanks,

#26 ·
Do not torque the screws. Just remove the slop and add a dab of GE RTV 732 or bathroom calk to the screw head/outer plate that holds the trim. This will be just as good as locktight on the threads.

Clean the surface with alcohol for a good bond. That's what I do on my CB.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.