I think the dealer is blowing smoke up my a** - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By TJJeeper
  • 1 Post By Gruivis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Nov 6th, 2014, 3:12 pm Thread Starter

Angry I think the dealer is blowing smoke up my a**

This might be long but right now I need to vent.

On October 16th (a Thursday) we bought a 2014 R1200RT at BMW Motorcycles of Daytona. We had just also happened to drop off our K1200LT with a FD the same day. (Long story there but good folk)

The Nav V was an incentive for the purchase of a 2014 RT. They didn't have one at that dealer but said their other shop in Orlando had one and they would have it in the next day or two while we were still in town. On Friday afternoon we stopped in and no GPS. They hoped to have it on Saturday and if not they would go ahead and "next day UPS it" to me. We headed home on the new motorcycle on Sunday. A week after the purchase I called about the GPS. "Oh we thought we could get the one from Orlando but it was spoken for. We had to order one and I'll let you know when we send it." Two weeks after the purchase I call about the GPS again. "It just came in and we sent it next day UPS today." That was a Thursday and the GPS showed up the next day on Friday. Out of curiosity I checked the tracking number and it actually shipped on Wednesday and not Thursday.

Now when we bought the bike we also bought the new 49 liter top case. Again, another item they did not have in stock. The parts department went ahead and ordered it and said it should ship to them on 10/21. They would then key it to the bike and "next day UPS" it to me. They retained one of the keys and remote to the new motorcycle so that they could change the lock. On each call about the GPS I also asked about the top case (which I had paid for and took advantage of their discount when buying a motorcycle). On 10/30/14 the salesman told me they were hoping it would be in on Monday (11/03). On Wednesday, 11/05 (now 20 days after the sale) I called to check on the top case. "No not here yet. I still have your key." I asked if maybe it didn't actually get ordered? And the reason I gave is that I've seen posts here, on the MOA forum and the BMW Sport Touring Forum from others who bought a '14 or '15 AFTER me and ordered a top case and somehow already got theirs. Some of them have even already had them painted to match the motorcycle. The salesman said he'd check and get back with me. A day later he hasn't.

I think I've been pretty patient. I'm giving them until early next week to check again and then get pissed. I've paid for it. It's on the invoice and I want it.

Oh and when I transferred the registration here in GA, the tag office told me that according to the paperwork that was sent to them they had the VIN wrong on the K1200LT I traded in. But I'm now going to let them figure that out when they sell it and try to get a title. The girl at the tag office said it wasn't her problem or my problem because she and I had the right VIN!

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Nov 6th, 2014, 4:00 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: I think the dealer is blowing smoke up my a**

Call them and tell them you either want the top case or a full refund sufficient to cover the cost of a new one plus shipping from your local dealer. Politely ask if they can do that or if you need to consult further with BMWNA.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Nov 6th, 2014, 5:05 pm

Sorry about the trash !

So how do you like the RTW ?

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA

post #4 of 11 Old Nov 6th, 2014, 5:07 pm

Sorry about the trash !

Another Moderator Sensor ..WTHay

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #5 of 11 Old Nov 7th, 2014, 8:19 am
Lifetime Supporter

May be it's the timing, but I ordered my powered topcase while waiting for my '15 RT to be released by BMW, and the dealer that I had ordered from got one delivered to his inventory, and shipped to me in one day!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #6 of 11 Old Nov 7th, 2014, 8:20 pm

BMWNA isn't going to do squat for you.

The only thing that will work is at the dealer. Calls can be ignored.

AND some high volume dealers stock the top case, especially after the recall bikes were returned because everyone had extra money.

I feel your pain, but you just have to wait it out.
tvguy likes this.

Greg
2014 R1200RT
South Central California
post #7 of 11 Old Nov 7th, 2014, 9:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueknightga6 View Post
This might be long but right now I need to vent.

On October 16th (a Thursday) we bought a 2014 R1200RT at BMW Motorcycles of Daytona. We had just also happened to drop off our K1200LT with a FD the same day. (Long story there but good folk)

The Nav V was an incentive for the purchase of a 2014 RT. They didn't have one at that dealer but said their other shop in Orlando had one and they would have it in the next day or two while we were still in town. On Friday afternoon we stopped in and no GPS. They hoped to have it on Saturday and if not they would go ahead and "next day UPS it" to me. We headed home on the new motorcycle on Sunday. A week after the purchase I called about the GPS. "Oh we thought we could get the one from Orlando but it was spoken for. We had to order one and I'll let you know when we send it." Two weeks after the purchase I call about the GPS again. "It just came in and we sent it next day UPS today." That was a Thursday and the GPS showed up the next day on Friday. Out of curiosity I checked the tracking number and it actually shipped on Wednesday and not Thursday.

Now when we bought the bike we also bought the new 49 liter top case. Again, another item they did not have in stock. The parts department went ahead and ordered it and said it should ship to them on 10/21. They would then key it to the bike and "next day UPS" it to me. They retained one of the keys and remote to the new motorcycle so that they could change the lock. On each call about the GPS I also asked about the top case (which I had paid for and took advantage of their discount when buying a motorcycle). On 10/30/14 the salesman told me they were hoping it would be in on Monday (11/03). On Wednesday, 11/05 (now 20 days after the sale) I called to check on the top case. "No not here yet. I still have your key." I asked if maybe it didn't actually get ordered? And the reason I gave is that I've seen posts here, on the MOA forum and the BMW Sport Touring Forum from others who bought a '14 or '15 AFTER me and ordered a top case and somehow already got theirs. Some of them have even already had them painted to match the motorcycle. The salesman said he'd check and get back with me. A day later he hasn't.

I think I've been pretty patient. I'm giving them until early next week to check again and then get pissed. I've paid for it. It's on the invoice and I want it.

Oh and when I transferred the registration here in GA, the tag office told me that according to the paperwork that was sent to them they had the VIN wrong on the K1200LT I traded in. But I'm now going to let them figure that out when they sell it and try to get a title. The girl at the tag office said it wasn't her problem or my problem because she and I had the right VIN!
Just curious that with the two dealers we have here in town, why you went to Daytona to purchase. Also, BMW of Daytona has a bit of a reputation.

"Not all who wander are lost"

2014 R1200GSA Blue
2010 Honda Elite 110
post #8 of 11 Old Nov 7th, 2014, 10:28 pm Thread Starter

Dean, that's exactly what I was thinking of doing. If it goes onto next Thursday it will be 4 weeks waiting for a top case. Along with that my 2nd set of keys stand more of a chance of being lost while they sit in a salesman's desk. My personal thought is that they forgot to order it and didn't realize it until I specifically asked the salesman to check. I didn't mind waiting on the GPS and I actually think it showed up in a somewhat reasonable amount of time.

There was another response but I know I probably should've bought right down the road in Marietta. At least I did take it to Marietta for the 600 mile service! But with a bad FD on vacation and visiting family, we just decided to make the purchase sooner than planned. Plus Daytona had the one I wanted. Like any dealer I've seen good and bad comments on them. The service department in Daytona seemed top notch though.

Chris Ehlbeck

post #9 of 11 Old Nov 8th, 2014, 10:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueknightga6 View Post
The salesman said he'd check and get back with me. A day later he hasn't.
That's a sure sign he doesn't give a rat's ass. I'd call the GM and let know the run around and request that he personally sort it out and give you a call back with a definitive ETA. You really shouldn't have to do that.
tvguy likes this.

Airwolf - 2015 K1600GT or GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #10 of 11 Old Dec 11th, 2014, 5:30 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray View Post
Sorry about the trash !

Murray here it is 12/11/14 and I just got the notification of your post! I love the RT! I finally got the top case and they had keyed it wrong but a local dealer took car of that for me. Amazingly easy job on the new style top case.

Chris Ehlbeck

post #11 of 11 Old Mar 4th, 2015, 9:59 pm
Cat Herder

Garage

I like your blog...

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.